Sampo Kolkki

Default Q: Value of a Braun CSV-60

I kindly request from all the readers of RAT your estimated value of Braun
CSV-60 (stereo integrated stereo-tube-amp, manufactured in the sixties,
PL-500-output-tubes, push-pull, "ordinary" scematics and layout).

An acquaintance of mine brought this amp to me for repairs. It was
completely in it's 60's, used condition: old, leaking electrolytic caps,
some noisy resistors, old, original tubes, etc. it had wron equalition for
phono (not RIAA)....

Now. Before I really got into it, just had new output-tubes from the owner,
scematics fron Kalus Heyne, burglars were at my private shop. They did not
steale this, but it fell down on the flor and was stepped over as they
propably were carrying out for example some measuring equipment and guitar
amps.

The originally acquaintance of mine in now an enemy of mine. He is getiing a
lawsuit on me. And the worst is, that he got an sky-high estimate on the amp
from a local hifi-dealer, who propably hasn't even _seen_ a Quad, McIntosh,
Leak, Braun, etc. old tube-amp. In this hifi-dealer's thinking I could
estimate my system to be worth a big house.

So, please give me some estimates for this old Braun amp. As stated, this is
was in it's original, not well working condition, was not mint outside nor
inside.

Thank You in advance,

Sampo Kolkki
Finland
BTW: I may have some obscure scematics for European equipment.

Sampo Kolkki

Sorry about the typos in my message. This darn portable has too small a
buttons. -I should always read what I just wrote...

Sampo

Fabio Berutti

I have no "professional" idea. As a reference, I saw on the Net that a Leak
Stereo 20, which is one of the best units of that age, can cost 300 Euros in
working conditions (or at least it is the price I saw asked for). In
comparison I wouldn't pay more than 250 for the Braun, were it "mint
conditions", or more than 200 in "well used conditions"... and I know it's
very easy to goofer me...
I'd say 200 Euros are an absolute maximum.

Sorry for Your store. Hope You had some insurance...

Ciao

Fabio

"Sampo Kolkki" ha scritto nel messaggio
[...]

Sander deWaal

"Sampo Kolkki" said:

The originally acquaintance of mine in now an enemy of mine. He is getiing a
lawsuit on me. And the worst is, that he got an sky-high estimate on the amp
from a local hifi-dealer, who propably hasn't even _seen_ a Quad, McIntosh,
Leak, Braun, etc. old tube-amp. In this hifi-dealer's thinking I could
estimate my system to be worth a big house.

Are you insured?
You can always have an independent (counter) taxation done on the
value of the amp.
Going into a lawsuit over something like this is insane, at least for
us Europeans.

So, please give me some estimates for this old Braun amp. As stated, this is
was in it's original, not well working condition, was not mint outside nor
inside.

In that case I'd say somewhere between 100 and 250 euro (I'm being
generous here).
Can't you salvage what's left of it?
How bad is the damage? Only a few broken tubes or is it worse?

--
Sander deWaal
"SOA of a KT88? Sufficient."
Walther

The CSV-60 is a collectors item because of both its quality
and innovative design (not the circuitry, the appearance) by
industrial designer Dieter Rams.

Note that these braun stereo components were the ancestors
of the whole genre of aluminium brick shaped stereo components.

They were made to drive LE1 electrostatic speakers built in
license of Quad and also a Dieter Rams Bauhaus style housing.

Sure some enthusiasts will tell you that from the amplifier-speaker
POV there has never been anything finer (the speakers are available
again today but nearly unaffordable - 6000 Euro a pair).

CSV-60 amps are pretty rare nowadays. Itīs like you got some
adenauer mercedes 300 - precious today even in bad condition.

I own a csv-13 which is some sort of a predecessor of the csv-60.
It did cost 775,- Deutsche Mark back in the 1960s, and I estimate
one could easily get 500 Euros for one in good condition at eBay.
These things do not show up there often.

Mine was bought by my grandfather and he always kept it locked off
to us children - like he also did with his bechstein grand piano.

Too late now... Youīd better talk your customer into selling you
this piece of amp and keep it for yourself. If he insists in being
compensated thatīs bad luck, perhaps he will accept some other
high end amp for it. Well, to be honest: if I were him I wouldnīt.

Be generous. A fully refurbished CVS-60 sure will satisfy both your
ears and eyes!

Maybe you can discuss the value question he
http://www.radiodesign.de
and donīt miss the site of the LE1:
http://www.quad-musik.de/Produkte/D-...-braunle1.html

Jon Yaeger

Sampo,

I sympathize for you and your unfortunate situation . . . the thief really
put you in a bad spot. Voy vi tu yoma lauta!

Although I cannot help you determine the fair market value from my own
experience, perhaps you can contact the people at Audiogon.com and see if
they have any historical data to share.

Do you have insurance to cover? As a former owner of a computer repair shop,
I invested in bailee's insurance, which covered the personal property of my
customers while in my care. I didn't have to use it, but it was good to
know it was there. No telling what value people might assign to their
computer data . . .

Like Sander, I am surprised that your customer would act like an American
and seek redress in the legal system. Perhaps they are hoping that you will
settle outside of court. Some people take advantage of a bad situation, and
your former friend may have recognized an opportunity . . .

If it should go to court, if I was sitting on the jury you would have my
sympathy because you have been twice the victim.

It reminds me of a situation that happened to me. One of our clients, a
cardiac clinic from a well regarded hospital, sent in a laptop for repair.
They claimed that they also sent a very expensive data harness (which we
never received). They threatened to sue us. I did some digging and found
out that, curiously, the same thing had happened at another shop that
serviced their computer. I don't think I told the customer that I knew this
.. . . I was saving it for my day in court. I did, however, threaten to
counter sue on the grounds that it was frivolous and malicious (and I
believed fraudulent) as well, and they dropped the matter.

In the U.S., the principal is that a service center is obligated to make a
client whole. That means either you pay the client the fair market value or
you provide them with like kind. In any case it should not cost you even a
dog house!

Good luck.

Jon

Iain M Churches

"Jon Yaeger" wrote in message
Sampo,

I sympathize for you and your unfortunate situation . . . the thief really
put you in a bad spot. Voy vi tu yoma lauta!

Nice expletive, John, in phonetical Finnish:-)))
When a Finn swears, the world listens!

Iain