JWelsh3374

Default Rod Stewart on AMA's... OK, UNCLE.

OK. Uncle. I had yet to hear the new ring-a-ding-rod....

Forget all my defense of his storied career.

Urgh...what a humongous pile of plop THAT was!

And the little dosey-doe dancing caused me to spit up the Stoli I had in my
mouth....

Woof. Next.

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com
Rob Adelman

JWelsh3374 wrote:
OK. Uncle. I had yet to hear the new ring-a-ding-rod....

Forget all my defense of his storied career.

Urgh...what a humongous pile of plop THAT was!

And the little dosey-doe dancing caused me to spit up the Stoli I had in my
mouth....

Woof. Next.

I thought Woof was a good thing?

Yup, Stewart should have quit while he was ahead. Sad, really.

Tommy B

It's stuff like this that scare folks away from the TV.
This might not be a bad thing though. In most case you can flip quickly, but
like a deer caught in the headlights I stayed glued.ing I hit the mute
button, and closed my eyes, and was released from my stupor like magic
For a minute or two I thought I was watching the "Bulimia Channel" I then
ran from the room screaming inside.
This was like a bad accident, when you have to rubberneck, but you hate
yourself for doing it. Brrrrr.........
I remember Rod and Jeff at the Boston Tea Party in 1969. Great stuff!!!!
("I was tripping at the time" disclaimer goes here.)
Wait, all is not lost.
Rod, should get his act to Las Vegas,
where I'm sure "Siegfried & Rod", would be a big hit!

Tom

"JWelsh3374" wrote in message
OK. Uncle. I had yet to hear the new ring-a-ding-rod....

Forget all my defense of his storied career.

Urgh...what a humongous pile of plop THAT was!

And the little dosey-doe dancing caused me to spit up the Stoli I had in

my
mouth....

Woof. Next.

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com

chetatkinsdiet

The last time Rod was "ahead" in my book was still with the Faces.
Can anyone name me a bigger waste of talent in the music industry than
him? Alex Chilton is right up there too, but at least he still tries
occassionally.
later,
EggHd

His sales will increase from this perfromance slot.

---------------------------------------
Jay Kadis

OK, so maybe Rod isn't the world's best singer. But it seems like a lot of
folks here are averse to rock-identified singers even attempting to sing
standards. Those standards are among the best songs ever written and I can see
why someone like Rod might want to get into that type of music.

So is it just Rod or is there just general resistance to folks making the
switch to more "adult" music? I guess I'm wondering because I can see that
transition in my own musical career at some point, and no, I won't be the
singer. But my wife does a killer version of Somewhere Over the Rainbow and
she's getting tired of the rock'n'roll act...

-Jay

--
x------- Jay Kadis ------- x---- Jay's Attic Studio ----x
x-------- http://ccrma-www.stanford.edu/~jay/ ----------x
Dave Martin

"Jay Kadis" wrote in message
OK, so maybe Rod isn't the world's best singer. But it seems like a lot

of
folks here are averse to rock-identified singers even attempting to sing
standards. Those standards are among the best songs ever written and I

can see
why someone like Rod might want to get into that type of music.

I haven't been following this thread , but I can say that the arrangements
on Stewart's 'standards' record are uniformly awful. Ignoring his singing,
you'd have thought that budget would allow for SOMEBODY who understands that
style to have been involved in the arrangements - If not Quincy Jones, at
least someone who has played these songs at a country club somewhere...

Based on my listening to the record, that doesn't seem to be the case.

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

Rob Adelman

Jay Kadis wrote:
OK, so maybe Rod isn't the world's best singer. But it seems like a lot of
folks here are averse to rock-identified singers even attempting to sing
standards. Those standards are among the best songs ever written and I can see
why someone like Rod might want to get into that type of music.

I.m.o. the thing that makes people like Rod Stewart or Mick Jagger or?
great rock singers is the uniqueness of their voice. Instantly
recognizable. This is also the thing that makes them seem awkward
singing the standards.

Can you imagine Bob Dylan singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow?

dt king

"WillStG" wrote in message
Rob Adelman
Can you imagine Bob Dylan singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow?

Well - yeah...

It's like it's in my head already.

dtk

LeBaron & Alrich

Tommy B wrote:

Rod, should get his act to Las Vegas,
where I'm sure "Siegfried & Rod", would be a big hit!

They could do Buck Owens' "I've Got A Tiger By The Tail".

--
ha
Guitarboy

In article , Dave Martin
wrote:

"Jay Kadis" wrote in message
OK, so maybe Rod isn't the world's best singer. But it seems like a lot

of
folks here are averse to rock-identified singers even attempting to sing
standards. Those standards are among the best songs ever written and I

can see
why someone like Rod might want to get into that type of music.

I haven't been following this thread , but I can say that the arrangements
on Stewart's 'standards' record are uniformly awful. Ignoring his singing,
you'd have thought that budget would allow for SOMEBODY who understands that
style to have been involved in the arrangements - If not Quincy Jones, at
least someone who has played these songs at a country club somewhere...

Based on my listening to the record, that doesn't seem to be the case.

the problem is if you do more adventurous arrangements rod wouldn't be
able to keep up with them. he's barely keeping up with what they've
laid down for him. no substitution chords or anything. just lay it out
straight from fake book #1 Maj 6th chords and all. But you have to say
it was a commercial success and in the end thats all that matters. In
the end its just a lot of posing.

Dave Martin

"Guitarboy" wrote in message
. ..
the problem is if you do more adventurous arrangements rod wouldn't be
able to keep up with them. he's barely keeping up with what they've
laid down for him. no substitution chords or anything. just lay it out
straight from fake book #1 Maj 6th chords and all. But you have to say
it was a commercial success and in the end thats all that matters. In
the end its just a lot of posing.

No, there are some substitutions, but to me, they sound like someone said,
"Hey, let's play a cool chord here", without paying any mind to whether or
not that chord is right. (Usually, it's not.) The leading tones tend to lead
in the wrong direction, and besides that - what in the Hell is a flat top
guitar doing as the main rhythm instrument? Doesn't anyone that Rod knows
own an archtop?

Besides, how much of a success has it been? Maybe Egghead can answer that.

--
Dave Martin
Java Jive Studio

Rob Adelman

Dave Martin wrote:

Besides, how much of a success has it been? Maybe Egghead can answer that.

Success cannot only be measured by money, in my opinion.

LeBaron & Alrich

Dave Martin wrote:

"Jay Kadis" wrote...

OK, so maybe Rod isn't the world's best singer. But it seems like a lot

of folks here are averse to rock-identified singers even attempting to
sing standards. Those standards are among the best songs ever written
and I can see why someone like Rod might want to get into that type of
music.

I haven't been following this thread , but I can say that the arrangements
on Stewart's 'standards' record are uniformly awful. Ignoring his singing,
you'd have thought that budget would allow for SOMEBODY who understands that
style to have been involved in the arrangements - If not Quincy Jones, at
least someone who has played these songs at a country club somewhere...

Based on my listening to the record, that doesn't seem to be the case.

Since I have not heard the record in question I am unable to accuse you
of disdaining creative reinterpretation.

cough

--
ha
LeBaron & Alrich

dt king wrote:

"WillStG" wrote...

Rob Adelman wrote...

Can you imagine Bob Dylan singing Somewhere Over the Rainbow?

Well - yeah...

It's like it's in my head already.

Save it for Open Mic Nite.

--
ha

WillStG

(Mike Rivers)
If Homer and Jethro can sing Over The Rainbow
Why, oh why can't I?

Or Bob Dylan?

Or Tom Waits? g

My favorite version is probably the late Israel (Izzy) Kamakawiwo'ole's
medley with "Wonderful World"... A big Hawaiian guy and a little uke -
classic.

Will Miho
NY Music & TV Audio Guy
Off the Morning Show! & sleepin' In... / Fox News

EggHd

Besides, how much of a success has it been? Maybe Egghead can answer that.

The first CD sold a few million. This CD, the follow up debuted at #2 on the
Billboard top 200 moved to a respectable #7 week 2 and looks to be in the top
15 this week (next week's Billboard).

With 38% of sales in (not counting the AMAs as this cut off was Sunday noon),
he is at 41K for this week. Could end up selling 60K this week.

So this series is succesful business wise.

---------------------------------------

EggHd

Success cannot only be measured by money, in my opinion.

If you are a recording artists that makes their living by selling records and
performing it means everything.

if you own a record company sucess is going to be measured by something.

The same with everyone. if you can't pay your bills are you successful?

---------------------------------------

Roger W. Norman

"JWelsh3374" wrote in message
OK. Uncle. I had yet to hear the new ring-a-ding-rod....
Forget all my defense of his storied career.
Urgh...what a humongous pile of plop THAT was!
And the little dosey-doe dancing caused me to spit up the Stoli I had in

my
mouth....

A real beer drinker would simply up and die before releasing a mouthful of
alcohol. You Stoli guys simply don't know what the level is, do you?
Imagine, I fell through a double bass drum kit with a bottle of Black and a
mixed drink in my hands and didn't spill a drop. Now THAT's priorities! g

Er, I don't do that anymore.

--

Roger W. Norman
SirMusic Studio

Woof. Next.

searching for peace, love and quality footwear
guido

http://www.guidotoons.com
http://www.theloniousmoog.com
http://www.luckymanclark.com

Rob Adelman

EggHd wrote:

So this series is succesful business wise.

It's just too bad ol' Rod couldn't put together a new kick-ass rock
band. Maybe he could have sold just as many records, well, maybe not..

EggHd

It's just too bad ol' Rod couldn't put together a new kick-ass rock
band. Maybe he could have sold just as many records, well, maybe not..

I doubt he could have done anywhere near these numbers at his age and where his
audience is today and the places the record could get exposed.

It's a good idea what he has done although not a new idea. Cyndi Lauper has a
record like this being released. I haven't heard any of it so I can't comment
on the quality.

I would rather seem him do a faces reunion (of course without Ronnie Lane) and
a Hell freezes Over/The Dance kinda thing.

---------------------------------------

ryanm

"WillStG" wrote in message

My favorite version is probably the late Israel (Izzy)

Kamakawiwo'ole's
medley with "Wonderful World"... A big Hawaiian guy and a little uke -
classic.

I'll second that. Beautiful, both in his performance and in the
simplicity of the arrangement. I could listen to it all day long (and
sometimes I do).

ryanm

EggHd

With 38% of sales in (not counting the AMAs as this cut off was Sunday
noon),
he is at 41K for this week. Could end up selling 60K this week.

Rod Stewart ended up scanning104K this week. This CD is selling to someone.

Talk about sales.. Josh Groban did 367K. First week!

There seems to be an adult audience ou there if you can find tap into it.

---------------------------------------
Ricky W. Hunt

"EggHd" wrote in message
Success cannot only be measured by money, in my opinion.

If you are a recording artists that makes their living by selling records

and
performing it means everything.

It seems like the only two times people ever claim "money doesn't matter" is
when they haven't made any or after they've made their pile.

Tommy B

Can you say "lonely women" .
You know I was once told Barry Manilow had the ugliest groupies going.
(wonder why?)
Rod's endevor is all about marketing.
Clive Davis is the "genius" behind this and the first cd of Rod's standards.
"Nobody ever went broke underestimating the taste of the American public"
Can't remember who said that, but in this case it seems to apply. I think
Tom Dowd, once told me(?), "90% of everything is crap", but that doesn't
mean crap doesn't sell.

Tom

"EggHd" wrote in message
With 38% of sales in (not counting the AMAs as this cut off was Sunday
noon),
he is at 41K for this week. Could end up selling 60K this week.

Rod Stewart ended up scanning104K this week. This CD is selling to

someone.

Talk about sales.. Josh Groban did 367K. First week!

There seems to be an adult audience ou there if you can find tap into it.

---------------------------------------

Tommy B

What's that famous line?
"I've been poor and I've been rich and rich is better."
Money just changes the outside stuff, not the inside.
Kinda like, "Clothes make the man".......lol

Tom

"Ricky W. Hunt" wrote in message
"EggHd" wrote in message
Success cannot only be measured by money, in my opinion.

If you are a recording artists that makes their living by selling

records
and
performing it means everything.

It seems like the only two times people ever claim "money doesn't matter"

is
when they haven't made any or after they've made their pile.

Rob Adelman

Ricky W. Hunt wrote:

"EggHd" wrote in message

Success cannot only be measured by money, in my opinion.

If you are a recording artists that makes their living by selling records

and

performing it means everything.

It seems like the only two times people ever claim "money doesn't matter" is
when they haven't made any or after they've made their pile.

I didn't say it doesn't matter, but rather it is not the only measure of
success, at least from an artistic viewpoint.

Jerry Steiger

"Tommy B" wrote in message
link.net...
I think Tom Dowd, once told me(?), "90% of everything is crap

He was (knowingly or unknowingly) quoting Sturgeon's Law. Theodore Sturgeon
was a science fiction and fantasy writer. Someone at a cocktail party (in
the 50's, I suppose) told him that 90% of all science fiction was crap. He
responded with his eponymous law.

Jerry Steiger