Mike Rivers

Default Fact or Myth? Black CDs (An Audacity Question)

Well, I don't know how we got off on setting levels for live sound,
but since this side discussion has nothing to do with black CDs, let
me ask you an Audacity question since I just started fooling with it
and I know you (Arny) have some experience with the program.

I've been opening WAV files and exporting to WAV files for
consistency. When I make some changes to a file and want to overwrite
the original with the new version, the program politely reminds me
that the file name exists, asks if I want to overwrite, and when I say
yes, says it can't and asks if the directory or file is write
protected. I have to save it under a new name.

When I look at the directory, I see that it apparently tried to create
a file with the OriginalName_old.wav (zero bytes). I thought at first
that since I copied the WAV file from a CD (no, not a black CD), it
might have come in as read-only, but when I checked the Properties, it
didn't indicate that. (WinXP in this case). I tried the same thing
with an original recording in Audacity with the same result.

What am I not doing?

--
I'm really Mike Rivers )
Arny Krueger

"Mike Rivers" wrote in message

I've been opening WAV files and exporting to WAV files for
consistency. When I make some changes to a file and want to overwrite
the original with the new version, the program politely reminds me
that the file name exists, asks if I want to overwrite, and when I say
yes, says it can't and asks if the directory or file is write
protected. I have to save it under a new name.

When I look at the directory, I see that it apparently tried to create
a file with the OriginalName_old.wav (zero bytes). I thought at first
that since I copied the WAV file from a CD (no, not a black CD), it
might have come in as read-only, but when I checked the Properties, it
didn't indicate that. (WinXP in this case). I tried the same thing
with an original recording in Audacity with the same result.

What am I not doing?

I dunno. I can't duplicate your problems with Audacity 1.2.1, which is the
version I've been working with. I notice that I'm one or two versions
downlevel. Which version are you using?