Bill Pallies

Default Speaker Wiring affects phase relationships

Just read this bit from this website http://www.sge-inc.com/expert.htm. The
writer states that a 10-foot distance difference in speaker wiring will make
a sound quality difference, but then suggests that the extra unused length
on one side be coiled up. Wouldn't this act like an inductor limiting higher
frequencies and causing the user a new headache? :-) Or now that the wire is
coiled up on itself, he might get phase-shift interference, from the later
waveform in the top of the coil interacting with the earlier waveform in the
bottom of the coil.

Just wonderin' what you all think of this guy's advice.

By my calculations, assuming the speed of electricity to be only *one tenth*
that of light to be conservative, this 10 foot difference would represent a
1 microsecond delay to one speaker. Not 1 millisecond, 1 _micro_second. HA!

-Bill

-------------------Begin Excerpt-------------------

Mr. Expert,

I have a really good receiver and decent speakers, but they sound terrible!
I have heard that the shape of the room has a lot to do with the way a
stereo sounds. The highs are real nice and clear, but the bass seems muddy
and lacks definition. I have checked the phasing of the speakers (red is
connected to red and black to black on both of them) and that is OK. What is
wrong?"

-- name withheld

After a couple of e-mails back and forth, our correspondent informed me that
he is in a very long, thin room (30 feet by 10 feet). He has the speakers
along one of the 10 foot walls. His major listening area is about 10 feet
from the speakers (good placement, an equilateral triangle). His receiver is
on one of the side walls so that one speaker is 12 feet from the near
speaker and 22 feet from the far speaker. Now comes the big question -- how
many feet and what kind (gauge) of speaker wire do you have going to each
speaker?

This is where his problem lies. He had about 15 feet going to the near
speaker and 25 to the far. In a stereo installation, the speaker wires must
be the same length to each speaker. The bass signal is usually mixed equally
in each speaker and the difference in length of wire could cause a small
phase differential between the woofers! I advised him to get a new 25 foot
long piece of the same wire he was using (a good 16 gauge high quality
speaker wire) and to use it to connect the near speaker, coiling up the
excess in a place where it was not too unsightly. He called me on the phone
to thank me. The improvement was so dramatic (in his case) that he went out
and bought 10 new CDs!

--------------------End Excerpt--------------------

Midlant

It's measurable and time alignment is indeed real. Speaker mfg's may or
may not account for it in their design. Time aligned and phase corrected
speakers usually involved the tweeter being set back a little from the
drivers or slightly angled. Acoustic engineering has come a long way in
the last ten years. We now have equipment and speakers that allow you to
hear details and texture that was not possible ten years ago. Like all
technology, it starts out expensive, then get cheaper.

The inductance scare has always been there about coiling speaker wire so
keep them as short as possible. I read an AES white paper not long ago
that explained this in great detail with the outcome amounting to, don't
worry, the capacitance that also comes into play doesn't really matter
either since the runs are so short. Now if you were wiring a warehouse
then you'd have to take it into account. For most home applications and
in this case, cars, we're not dealing with 50+ foot runs.
John

Bill Pallies

"Midlant" wrote in message

It's measurable and time alignment is indeed real.

Are you refering to the time delay produced by different length speaker
wires going to each channel or the inductance of a coil of wire?

Time aligned and phase corrected
speakers usually involved the tweeter being set back a little from the
drivers or slightly angled.

This is true from a speaker placement standpoint, but what would the wiring
have to do with this?

Acoustic engineering has come a long way in
the last ten years. We now have equipment and speakers that allow you to
hear details and texture that was not possible ten years ago. Like all
technology, it starts out expensive, then get cheaper.

True.

-Bill

Eddie Runner

Midlant wrote:

It's measurable and time alignment is indeed real.

Time alighnment is real in speaker placement because the
sound coming out of the speakers is relativly slow....

Time alignment because of speaker wire length is
irrelevant because the speed of the sound in
the wire is REAL FAST!

sound in air = SLOW
sound in wires = VERY FAST

Eddie Runner
http://www.installer.com/tech/

Mark Zarella

Just read this bit from this website http://www.sge-inc.com/expert.htm. The
writer states that a 10-foot distance difference in speaker wiring will make
a sound quality difference, but then suggests that the extra unused length
on one side be coiled up. Wouldn't this act like an inductor limiting higher
frequencies and causing the user a new headache? :-) Or now that the wire is
coiled up on itself, he might get phase-shift interference, from the later
waveform in the top of the coil interacting with the earlier waveform in the
bottom of the coil.

Just wonderin' what you all think of this guy's advice.

By my calculations, assuming the speed of electricity to be only *one tenth*
that of light to be conservative, this 10 foot difference would represent a
1 microsecond delay to one speaker. Not 1 millisecond, 1 _micro_second. HA!

This is why we get information from peer-reviewed literature and not
websites.

Bose 901 Review William Sommerwerck General 149 January 8th 05 04:49 PM
speaker wiring AL General 4 December 29th 03 12:28 PM
speaker wiring jungyumguy Car Audio 4 November 8th 03 04:14 AM
Need help wiring speakers Chris Fonville Car Audio 8 August 7th 03 12:43 AM