John Matlock

Default MB Quart tweeter question

I posted here a few weeks ago my v-e-r-r-r-r-y bright MB Quart
components. I eventually had a set of MBQ MusiComp crossovers to try and
alleviate the brightness of the tweeters another 6 db's. Well, that didn't
help.

so, what I ended up doing was stuffing a wad of tissue paper into the tweeter
enclosures between the tweeter and the speaker grille. The result is that I
now have the sound I desire. My question is : will this harm the tweeter in
any way? By this I mean, excessive heat, dissipation, etc...

JJM
Eddie Runner

its fairly common practice in PRO AUDIO and STUDIOS to get
the desired tweeter attenuation with tissue paper... I dont think it should
actually touch the tweeter diaphram though...

Eddie Runner
http://www.installer.com/tech/

John Matlock wrote:

I posted here a few weeks ago my v-e-r-r-r-r-y bright MB Quart
components. I eventually had a set of MBQ MusiComp crossovers to try and
alleviate the brightness of the tweeters another 6 db's. Well, that didn't
help.

so, what I ended up doing was stuffing a wad of tissue paper into the tweeter
enclosures between the tweeter and the speaker grille. The result is that I
now have the sound I desire. My question is : will this harm the tweeter in
any way? By this I mean, excessive heat, dissipation, etc...

JJM

Paul Vina

Yes it will damage it! Ever put your hand on a sub while it was playing?
That's basically what you just did to your tweeter. If it isn't dead yet,
it will be shortly. Did you try reversing the leads on the passive
crossover input on the passenger side? Also make sure you don't have the
loudness or any other treble boosts turned on.

Paul Vina

"John Matlock" wrote in message
y.com...
I posted here a few weeks ago my v-e-r-r-r-r-y bright MB Quart
components. I eventually had a set of MBQ MusiComp crossovers to try and
alleviate the brightness of the tweeters another 6 db's. Well, that

didn't
help.

so, what I ended up doing was stuffing a wad of tissue paper into the

tweeter
enclosures between the tweeter and the speaker grille. The result is that

now have the sound I desire. My question is : will this harm the tweeter

in
any way? By this I mean, excessive heat, dissipation, etc...

JJM

John Matlock

It's not touching the actual diaphragm of the tweeter. It sits atop the
tweeter between the diaphragm and the grille.

JJM

In article 3Ujeb.471129$cF.152706@rwcrnsc53, "Paul Vina"
wrote:
Yes it will damage it! Ever put your hand on a sub while it was playing?
That's basically what you just did to your tweeter. If it isn't dead yet,
it will be shortly. Did you try reversing the leads on the passive
crossover input on the passenger side? Also make sure you don't have the
loudness or any other treble boosts turned on.

Paul Vina

"John Matlock" wrote in message
gy.com...
I posted here a few weeks ago my v-e-r-r-r-r-y bright MB Quart
components. I eventually had a set of MBQ MusiComp crossovers to try and
alleviate the brightness of the tweeters another 6 db's. Well, that

didn't
help.

so, what I ended up doing was stuffing a wad of tissue paper into the

tweeter
enclosures between the tweeter and the speaker grille. The result is that

now have the sound I desire. My question is : will this harm the tweeter

in
any way? By this I mean, excessive heat, dissipation, etc...

JJM

Paul Vina

That is worded SO differently than "so, what I ended up doing was stuffing a
wad of tissue paper into the
tweeter
enclosures between the tweeter and the speaker grille.".

It should work fine.

wrote:
[...]

John Matlock

Yes - there is a lot of difference in the wording there... : ) sorry 'bout
that.

JJM

wrote:
[...]

Stephen Narayan

I did something similar to this with a set of Boston Acoustics
aluminum 0.4 series tweeters once...but used a piece of grille cloth
and glued it to the tweeter grille from the outside....It gave it a
decent appearance as well rather than being able to see tissue through
the grille.

wrote:
Yes it will damage it! Ever put your hand on a sub while it was playing?
That's basically what you just did to your tweeter. If it isn't dead yet,
it will be shortly. Did you try reversing the leads on the passive
crossover input on the passenger side? Also make sure you don't have the
loudness or any other treble boosts turned on.

Paul Vina

"John Matlock" wrote in message
igy.com...
I posted here a few weeks ago my v-e-r-r-r-r-y bright MB Quart
components. I eventually had a set of MBQ MusiComp crossovers to try and
alleviate the brightness of the tweeters another 6 db's. Well, that

didn't
help.

so, what I ended up doing was stuffing a wad of tissue paper into the

tweeter
enclosures between the tweeter and the speaker grille. The result is that

now have the sound I desire. My question is : will this harm the tweeter

in
any way? By this I mean, excessive heat, dissipation, etc...

JJM

Stephen Narayan | IASCA Pro Street 1-600 | IASCA Certified Judge 2003
Audio Perfection | RTA system evaluation and tuning |

My System/s: Denon | Clarion ADCS-1 | Orion | Dynaudio | PG ZPA | Blade | Kicker
teamROCS Member #068 |
http://www.teamrocs.com

Why not check out my car audio museum
http://canuck.audioguy.net/gear.html

MB Quart question - adjustable? John Matlock Car Audio 12 September 12th 03 03:15 PM
mb quart repair? nakamichi Car Audio 0 August 1st 03 08:56 AM
simple crossover question Jive Dadson General 1 July 25th 03 07:23 PM
Yes its a noise question... sorry A. Allen Car Audio 10 July 19th 03 03:00 AM
Newbie question 12s vs. 10s Paul Vina Car Audio 1 July 9th 03 08:09 PM