John Matlock

Default MB Quart question - adjustable?

I just had a set of MB Quart Discus series components installed in my new
Mazda 6 sedan last week. I have read that Quarts have a reputation for
exceeding brightness in their sound output. That's my problem. The clarity
is outstanding but the overall sound is way too bright even with the treble
completely cut out. just unsatisfying no matter what I do.

Are there any adjustments that can be made to the components to get a more
natural sound? It's driving me nuts! I do have them still running off the
stock head unit's amp, not an external amp. My next thought is to buy an amp
to run the speakers, but would that cut down on the brightness?

any advice would be much appreciated.

JJM

Mark Zarella

I just had a set of MB Quart Discus series components installed in my new
Mazda 6 sedan last week. I have read that Quarts have a reputation for
exceeding brightness in their sound output. That's my problem. The

clarity
is outstanding but the overall sound is way too bright even with the

treble
completely cut out. just unsatisfying no matter what I do.

You didn't listen before you bought?

Are there any adjustments that can be made to the components to get a more
natural sound? It's driving me nuts! I do have them still running off

the
stock head unit's amp, not an external amp. My next thought is to buy an

amp
to run the speakers, but would that cut down on the brightness?

Not significantly. Try the typical off-axis mounting and covering the
tweeter with foam or something. At this point, you may instead want to get
different speakers rather than go out of your way compensating for these.

John Matlock

Yeah I listened in a closed room before I bought, but they didn't sound
anything like what I have now. I even tested them with a couple of my CDs.
I'm going to get in touch with the shop that sold me on them and complain
mightily.

JJM

In article , "Mark Zarella"
wrote:
[...]

John Matlock

So I'm supposed to shell out another $300 + labor for new speakers? what
would I do with the Quarts then? I suppose the shop would laugh at me if I
asked.

: )

JJM

In article , "Mark Zarella"
wrote:
[...]

Tony Fernandes

I've had MB Quarts before. I didn't like them for the same reason. They
sounded great at very low volume but really hurt my ears after awhile. Very
tiring.

Maybe the shop will refund them for another brand if you just had them
installed?

One of the things I've noticed before is that certain components add their
own "distinctness" to the music. They shouldn't, but they do. What kind of
amp & HU are you using? For example...I've found Alpine amps to be very
bright as well. Thus, I wouldn't want to pair them with MBQs. Certain HUs
are the same way. From what you're saying, unless you plan on doing some
major system re-evalutation you probably will never be totally happy with
the MBQs. Try what Mark suggested and go from there.

Tony

--

What's more likely? That an all-powerful mysterious god created the
universe and then decided not to give any proof of his existence? Or, that
. com...

wrote:
[...]

Brandon Buckner

Yeah, I know my local shop will exchange speakers you just got if you
ended up not liking them and want something else. Usually as long as you
didn't destroy them putting them in or taking them out.

Brandonb

wrote:

[...]

John Matlock

I've had them in for just over a week now. I'm driving them off the amp on
the HU. I have an Alpine 2-channel amp running an MBQ sub, which by the way
sounds fine.

I'm not optmistic that the shop will refund.

JJM

In article , "Tony Fernandes"
wrote:
I've had MB Quarts before. I didn't like them for the same reason. They
sounded great at very low volume but really hurt my ears after awhile. Very
tiring.

Maybe the shop will refund them for another brand if you just had them
installed?

One of the things I've noticed before is that certain components add their
own "distinctness" to the music. They shouldn't, but they do. What kind of
amp & HU are you using? For example...I've found Alpine amps to be very
bright as well. Thus, I wouldn't want to pair them with MBQs. Certain HUs
are the same way. From what you're saying, unless you plan on doing some
major system re-evalutation you probably will never be totally happy with
the MBQs. Try what Mark suggested and go from there.

Tony

John Matlock

I'm not really optimistic that the shop will exchange. They did the install
at their place.

JJM

wrote:

[...]

Mark Zarella

--

"Tony Fernandes" wrote in message
[...]

The amp and HU are certainly not at fault. It's the speaker and/or the
installation.

Mark Zarella

So I'm supposed to shell out another $300 + labor for new speakers? what
would I do with the Quarts then? I suppose the shop would laugh at me if

asked.

You could play with the installation some. As I mentioned, sometimes a
piece of foam over the tweeter can help, but IME usually not. It's sort of
a way of mimicking off-axis response, which oftentimes isn't the culprit
anyway.

I think it's a matter of learning from your mistakes. I've bought plenty of
speakers in the past that I've gone and sold a couple months later. That's
why I almost ALWAYS buy used to begin with. There's no loss in trying them
out because I can always sell them for what I pay for them. There's no spec
sheet or reviews that mean anything when it comes to purchasing speakers.

Hopefully the shop will help you out. If they don't, plan on shopping
elsewhere. Absolutely do not buy a second set of speakers off them if they
won't help you out. If they do, they're probably worth dealing with again
in the future.

Paul Vina

Every reputable shop would rather refund you for the set and sell you
something else that you like and have a happy customer than have a ****ed
off customer complaining to everyone they know.
BTW, it sounds to me more like a phase problem. I have heard Quarts, and
yes, they are bright, but I've never seen a good install with them that
sounded bad. Bright, but not ear bleeding. Also, live, unamplified music is
bright anyway.

Paul Vina

wrote:
[...]

John Matlock

MBQ tech support says that my model, the DSC-213 components, don't have an
attenuation adjuster on the crossover. The 2003 DSE model components do. I
haven't verified this and I hope they're wrong.

JJM

In article , Nomen Nescio
wrote:
Your crossover should have a tweeter attenuation circuit with
connections for 0, -3, and -6dB. Try -3 or -6 if you find them
too bright.

In article
(John Matlock) wrote:

I just had a set of MB Quart Discus series components installed in my new
Mazda 6 sedan last week. I have read that Quarts have a reputation for
exceeding brightness in their sound output. That's my problem. The clarity
is outstanding but the overall sound is way too bright even with the treble
completely cut out. just unsatisfying no matter what I do.

Are there any adjustments that can be made to the components to get a more
natural sound? It's driving me nuts! I do have them still running off the
stock head unit's amp, not an external amp. My next thought is to buy an amp
to run the speakers, but would that cut down on the brightness?

any advice would be much appreciated.

JJM

Question about line drivers eidsvikDM Car Audio 5 September 15th 03 05:25 PM
question about technical stuff Sumedh General 1 September 7th 03 02:12 AM
MTX Crossover Question Mark Zarella Car Audio 0 August 27th 03 01:43 PM
mb quart repair? nakamichi Car Audio 0 August 1st 03 08:56 AM
Newbie question 12s vs. 10s Paul Vina Car Audio 1 July 9th 03 08:09 PM