Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

Default A background rumble appears in a sound from microphone in Sound blaster Live.

On Oct 24, 1:04 am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:
"D" wrote ...

Microphones with a battery do not hum. Why?

Because the battery is independent of the mains power.

That confirms that the problem is coming from the mains-
derived microphone power coming through the sound card.

How to make microphones without a battery not hum?

Replace the sound card with one that works properly.
(Or just continue to use the battery.)

Thanks Richard Crowley for your answers!
I have two cards: SB Live ct4830 and SB 16 PnP. They both hum from a
headset microphone.
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Bob I Bob I is offline

D wrote:

On Oct 24, 1:04 am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:

"D" wrote ...

Microphones with a battery do not hum. Why?

Because the battery is independent of the mains power.

That confirms that the problem is coming from the mains-
derived microphone power coming through the sound card.

How to make microphones without a battery not hum?

Replace the sound card with one that works properly.
(Or just continue to use the battery.)

Thanks Richard Crowley for your answers!
I have two cards: SB Live ct4830 and SB 16 PnP. They both hum from a
headset microphone.
Best regards,
Dima

I suspect that it isn't the Microphone that is humming but that a HUM is
heard in the headphones WHEN the microphone is plugged in? If that is
the case then perhaps the problem is the filter capacitors on the
motherboard or powersupply are the problem?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
No Name

Your card may not be up to the job. Creative bought E-mu as I remember,
think about a 1212m, it has balanced line and the same converters used in
the Pro Tools stuff. You probably will never be really happy with the card
you have now. For currently $50.00 on E-bay you can get a 1212m, a daughter
card will even give you time code.

http://cgi.ebay.com/EMU-E-MU-1212M-P...QQcmdZViewItem

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,rec.audio.pro,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

On Wed, 24 Oct 2007 14:52:05 GMT, wrote:

Your card may not be up to the job. Creative bought E-mu as I remember,
think about a 1212m, it has balanced line and the same converters used in
the Pro Tools stuff. You probably will never be really happy with the card
you have now. For currently $50.00 on E-bay you can get a 1212m, a daughter
card will even give you time code.

Line in on the SB will be fine too. We're just fighting a lousy mic
input and a selection of more-or-less lousy microphones. You can get
away with lousy sometimes But not always.
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 24, 5:13 pm, Bob I wrote:
D wrote:
On Oct 24, 1:04 am, "Richard Crowley" wrote:

"D" wrote ...

Microphones with a battery do not hum. Why?

Because the battery is independent of the mains power.

That confirms that the problem is coming from the mains-
derived microphone power coming through the sound card.

How to make microphones without a battery not hum?

Replace the sound card with one that works properly.
(Or just continue to use the battery.)

Thanks Richard Crowley for your answers!
I have two cards: SB Live ct4830 and SB 16 PnP. They both hum from a
headset microphone.
Best regards,
Dima

I suspect that it isn't the Microphone that is humming but that a HUM is
heard in the headphones WHEN the microphone is plugged in? If that is
the case then perhaps the problem is the filter capacitors on the
motherboard or powersupply are the problem?- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bob I for your opinion!
A HUM is heard in the headphones WHEN the microphone is plugged in and
not muted. The hum is not heard when the microphone is muted.
How to know which filter capacitors are the problem: on the
motherboard or powersupply?
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Bob I Bob I is offline

D wrote:

On Oct 24, 5:13 pm, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

[...]

That would be a hardware issue, the powersupply would be the easiest to
swap out. You've proved the soundcards don't make a difference.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 24, 11:01 pm, Bob I wrote:
D wrote:
On Oct 24, 5:13 pm, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

[...]

swap out. You've proved the soundcards don't make a difference.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bob I for your suggestion!
Could a mainboard BIOS setting be the problem? The same hum was with
an old power supply. The hum increases if I increase the microphone
volume.
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Bob I Bob I is offline

D wrote:

On Oct 24, 11:01 pm, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

On Oct 24, 5:13 pm, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

[...]

I would doubt that a BIOS setting would have an effect on this. Since
the hum is being picked up in the microphone circuitry and being
amplified, increasing the mike volume increases the sounds. You might
try moving the sound card to a different motherboard slot to see if
there is any reduction in the hum by moving it further away from some
component.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 25, 4:37 pm, Bob I wrote:
D wrote:
On Oct 24, 11:01 pm, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

On Oct 24, 5:13 pm, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

[...]

component.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bob I for your suggestion!
I installed the sound cards to different slots. This did not help.
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Bob I Bob I is offline

D wrote:

On Oct 25, 4:37 pm, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

On Oct 24, 11:01 pm, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

On Oct 24, 5:13 pm, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

[...]

Then it would seem that the motherboard would be the problem. Is there
perhaps any "swollen" or leaking capacitors on the motherboard.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
nobody > nobody > is offline

Bob I wrote:

snip

I would doubt that a BIOS setting would have an effect on this. Since
the hum is being picked up in the microphone circuitry and being
amplified, increasing the mike volume increases the sounds. You might
try moving the sound card to a different motherboard slot to see if
there is any reduction in the hum by moving it further away from some
component.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bob I for your suggestion!
I installed the sound cards to different slots. This did not help.
Best regards,
Dima

Then it would seem that the motherboard would be the problem. Is there
perhaps any "swollen" or leaking capacitors on the motherboard.

Has anyone considered a bad AC outlet ground?

Also, I've lost track of the REAL symptoms. Does the microphone output
hum or do the headphones hum just because the mic is plugged in?
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Bob I Bob I is offline

nobody wrote:

Bob I wrote:

snip

I would doubt that a BIOS setting would have an effect on this. Since
the hum is being picked up in the microphone circuitry and being
amplified, increasing the mike volume increases the sounds. You might
try moving the sound card to a different motherboard slot to see if
there is any reduction in the hum by moving it further away from some
component.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bob I for your suggestion!
I installed the sound cards to different slots. This did not help.
Best regards,
Dima

Then it would seem that the motherboard would be the problem. Is there
perhaps any "swollen" or leaking capacitors on the motherboard.

Has anyone considered a bad AC outlet ground?

Also, I've lost track of the REAL symptoms. Does the microphone output
hum or do the headphones hum just because the mic is plugged in?

Yes the headphones hum when the mic is plugged in and not muted.

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Jim McCardle Jim McCardle is offline

I have personally had this sort of problem quite a while back. It was
really bad if you moved the mouse. I found updating the mouse
software fixed the problem. Also check if the IRQ that the sound card
is using is being "shared", this can cause some problems also.
JMCC

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:53:15 -0500, Bob I wrote:

nobody wrote:

Bob I wrote:

snip

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 29, 9:11 pm, Bob I wrote:
D wrote:
On Oct 25, 4:37 pm, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

On Oct 24, 11:01 pm, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

On Oct 24, 5:13 pm, Bob I wrote:

D wrote:

[...]

perhaps any "swollen" or leaking capacitors on the motherboard.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bob I for your help!
There are no any "swollen" or leaking capacitors on the motherboard.
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 30, 2:30 am, Jim McCardle wrote:
I have personally had this sort of problem quite a while back. It was
really bad if you moved the mouse. I found updating the mouse
software fixed the problem. Also check if the IRQ that the sound card
is using is being "shared", this can cause some problems also.
JMCC

On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 16:53:15 -0500, Bob I wrote:

nobody wrote:

Bob I wrote:

snip

I would doubt that a BIOS setting would have an effect on this. Since
the hum is being picked up in the microphone circuitry and being
amplified, increasing the mike volume increases the sounds. You might
try moving the sound card to a different motherboard slot to see if
there is any reduction in the hum by moving it further away from some
component.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bob I for your suggestion!
I installed the sound cards to different slots. This did not help.
Best regards,
Dima

Then it would seem that the motherboard would be the problem. Is there
perhaps any "swollen" or leaking capacitors on the motherboard.

Has anyone considered a bad AC outlet ground?

Also, I've lost track of the REAL symptoms. Does the microphone output
hum or do the headphones hum just because the mic is plugged in?

Yes the headphones hum when the mic is plugged in and not muted.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Jim McCardle for your reply!
The hum is with a Logitec mouse. I will check with another mouse. It
is really bad if I move the mic farther from the system case.
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 30, 12:38 am, "nobody " wrote:
Bob I wrote:

snip

I would doubt that a BIOS setting would have an effect on this. Since
the hum is being picked up in the microphone circuitry and being
amplified, increasing the mike volume increases the sounds. You might
try moving the sound card to a different motherboard slot to see if
there is any reduction in the hum by moving it further away from some
component.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks Bob I for your suggestion!
I installed the sound cards to different slots. This did not help.
Best regards,
Dima

Then it would seem that the motherboard would be the problem. Is there
perhaps any "swollen" or leaking capacitors on the motherboard.

Has anyone considered a bad AC outlet ground?

Also, I've lost track of the REAL symptoms. Does the microphone output
hum or do the headphones hum just because the mic is plugged in?- Hide quoted text -

Thank nobody for your reply!
My apartment house does not have a third groud contact in AC outlets,
because it is old. They cannot make the ground in such an old
building.
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 00:54:55 -0700, D wrote:

My apartment house does not have a third groud contact in AC outlets,
because it is old. They cannot make the ground in such an old
building.

Is that what you've been told? Of course they can, in exactly the
same selection of ways it would be done in a new building. Here in
the UK it's legally required, and even the oldest buildings find a way
:-)
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
D D is offline

On Oct 30, 1:00 pm, Laurence Payne NOSPAMlpayne1ATdsl.pipex.com
wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 00:54:55 -0700, D wrote:
My apartment house does not have a third groud contact in AC outlets,
because it is old. They cannot make the ground in such an old
building.

Is that what you've been told? Of course they can, in exactly the
same selection of ways it would be done in a new building. Here in
the UK it's legally required, and even the oldest buildings find a way
:-)

Thanks Laurence Payne for your reply!
Yes, that is what I've been told. But now, they are considering my
requirement.
How to check a quality of the grounding in AC outlets? I don't believe
my apartment house electricians completely.
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Unknown Unknown is offline

If no third ground contact, have an electrician remove the two contact
outlet and install a three contact outlet. Connect the ground to the metal
box.
ups.com...
wrote:
On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 00:54:55 -0700, D wrote:
My apartment house does not have a third groud contact in AC outlets,
because it is old. They cannot make the ground in such an old
building.

Is that what you've been told? Of course they can, in exactly the
same selection of ways it would be done in a new building. Here in
the UK it's legally required, and even the oldest buildings find a way
:-)

Thanks Laurence Payne for your reply!
Yes, that is what I've been told. But now, they are considering my
requirement.
How to check a quality of the grounding in AC outlets? I don't believe
my apartment house electricians completely.
Best regards,
Dima

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 09:49:27 -0500, "Unknown"
wrote:

If no third ground contact, have an electrician remove the two contact
outlet and install a three contact outlet. Connect the ground to the metal
box.

And that metal box will be earthed how?
Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general
Unknown Unknown is offline

If you have conduit, it probably is already grounded. Once a three contact
outlet is installed it can be tested by an outlet tester. Outlook testers
are available at hardware stores and stores that sell electricians
supplies. About $6
news
wrote:

If no third ground contact, have an electrician remove the two contact
outlet and install a three contact outlet. Connect the ground to the metal
box.

And that metal box will be earthed how?

Posted to rec.audio.pro,rec.arts.movies.production.sound,24hoursupport.helpdesk,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

On Tue, 30 Oct 2007 18:49:22 GMT, "Unknown"
wrote:

If you have conduit, it probably is already grounded. Once a three contact
outlet is installed it can be tested by an outlet tester. Outlook testers
are available at hardware stores and stores that sell electricians
supplies. About $6

Did someone mention conduit?