Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jason[_16_] Jason[_16_] is offline

Default CD Burner Recommendation

Computers for sale now usually do not come with a CD drive.
One I purchased recently didn't even offer it as an option.
I burn more CD's than I read. In the old days, Plextor drives
earned the best reviews. I had one, and Exact Audio Copy
almost always reported no errors on CD's I made on quality
blanks...not quite so good on generics from Office Depot/Staples.
"No errors" was an acceptance criterion for some of the duplication
services I sent them to.

What's best these days? I still have many requests to create
CD's, mostly from the musicians who performed on the recordings.
I suppose I'm looking for something external since there
are no bays in new machines like the one I bought
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 28/06/2020 2:35 pm, Jason wrote:
Computers for sale now usually do not come with a CD drive.
One I purchased recently didn't even offer it as an option.
I burn more CD's than I read. In the old days, Plextor drives
earned the best reviews. I had one, and Exact Audio Copy
almost always reported no errors on CD's I made on quality
blanks...not quite so good on generics from Office Depot/Staples.
"No errors" was an acceptance criterion for some of the duplication
services I sent them to.

What's best these days? I still have many requests to create
CD's, mostly from the musicians who performed on the recordings.
I suppose I'm looking for something external since there
are no bays in new machines like the one I bought

Maybe something lilke this ?

https://www.ebay.com/c/1624598198

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 6/27/2020 10:35 PM, Jason wrote:
Computers for sale now usually do not come with a CD drive. In the old days, Plextor drives
earned the best reviews.

What's best these days? I still have many requests to create
CD's, mostly from the musicians who performed on the recordings.
I suppose I'm looking for something external since there
are no bays in new machines like the one I bought

When it comes to obsolete technology, I don't believe that there's a
"best" when you have to buy something new. And a 15 year old Plextor
that you find on eBay will probably be pretty well worn out no matter
how well it was originally built.

Today, there are no more CD-only drives, only CD/DVD read/write, and the
only "upgrade" would be for one that handles Blu-Ray, and there are
probably only one or two companies manufacturing the drive mechanism
itself, that every brand name uses. I've had an LG brand for 6 or 7
years that hasn't worn out yet, at the rate of burning about half a
dozen disks a month. These, and similar brand names sell for about
$25-30, and should be considered expendable when they start making
errors or develop loading problems.

If you're looking for something for small production runs, like a client
wants 100 copies to take to a gig, you can ge a stand-alone duplicator
with 1 or 2 drives for under $200.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Jason wrote:

What's best these days? I still have many requests to create
CD's, mostly from the musicians who performed on the recordings.
I suppose I'm looking for something external since there
are no bays in new machines like the one I bought

I don't know, but I am using an LG model GE24NU40 and it seems to be
solid and reliable. E1 rates on burned disks are about comparable to
the Plextors. Doesn't allow any instrumentation, though, so Plextools
is right out. But for $50 it's hard to complain. When I started doing
PMCDs I was paying far more than that for a single blank.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] joe@mich.com is offline

On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 22:35:01 -0400, Jason wrote:

Computers for sale now usually do not come with a CD drive.
One I purchased recently didn't even offer it as an option.
I burn more CD's than I read. In the old days, Plextor drives
earned the best reviews. I had one, and Exact Audio Copy
almost always reported no errors on CD's I made on quality
blanks...not quite so good on generics from Office Depot/Staples.
"No errors" was an acceptance criterion for some of the duplication
services I sent them to.

What's best these days? I still have many requests to create
CD's, mostly from the musicians who performed on the recordings.
I suppose I'm looking for something external since there
are no bays in new machines like the one I bought

Plextor was a Japanese company and no longer makes drives, although the brand name is now licensed to a Taiwanese company for other products.

Either of these should work well. I've had a Pioneer slim external burner for years, but Pioneer seems to be into blu-ray burners now so they're
pricey. One of these would be my choice today.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-8x-e...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-DW316-US...8832011&sr=8-1

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Jason[_16_] Jason[_16_] is offline

In article ,
says...

Maybe something lilke this ?

https://www.ebay.com/c/1624598198

geoff

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

Jason wrote:
Computers for sale now usually do not come with a CD drive.
One I purchased recently didn't even offer it as an option.
I burn more CD's than I read. In the old days, Plextor drives
earned the best reviews. I had one, and Exact Audio Copy
almost always reported no errors on CD's I made on quality
blanks...not quite so good on generics from Office Depot/Staples.
"No errors" was an acceptance criterion for some of the duplication
services I sent them to.

What's best these days? I still have many requests to create
CD's, mostly from the musicians who performed on the recordings.

I'd discover torrents. I send a board tape I'd made in 1985 to
a bandmate from then using torrents.

I suppose I'm looking for something external since there
are no bays in new machines like the one I bought

I recently built a machine and it has an ASUS but I just realized I have
not yet burned a CD on it.

--
Les Cargill
Posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf gray_wolf is offline

On 02/07/2020 10:30 pm, Les Cargill wrote:
Jason wrote:
[...]

Check out the external USB CD drives.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

Les Cargill wrote:
Jason wrote:
[...]

It works.

DRW-24B1ST

--
Les Cargill

CD Burner questions Rick Ruskin Pro Audio 34 September 9th 05 02:04 PM
Best CD burner around now ? William Sommerwerck Pro Audio 4 November 18th 04 03:41 PM
FS : HHB 850 CD Burner dansisler Marketplace 0 October 19th 04 11:44 PM
8X DVD Burner? Blind Joni Pro Audio 44 September 16th 04 04:10 AM
CD Burner Geoley Pro Audio 5 November 19th 03 03:41 AM