Daniel Snooks

Doug wrote:
Scotty wrote:
"bob wald" wrote in message
that is the dumest statement i've heard since the internet was
invented......you win the top prize......

I agree Bob

PS: So what about the Kicker square subs! Do they only produce
square wave signals?

What's with all the negative replies and flames? I'm not looking for a
flame war. I'm just trying set things straight about Ovals vs Rounds.
You need to understand the construction of a speaker to understand
what I am getting at. I'll try to explain it plain and simple. Oval
speakers are not as rigid as round speakers, they are an oblong shape,
therefore, distortion is audible more quickly than a round speaker.

Some people just done deserve a PC eh.

I agree, that's why I am using a Mac...

Sorry doug, but you have shot yourself in the foot by trying to show that
round is BETTER then oval, when it's not. The RAC is just trying to make you
PROVE your points, which will be pretty difficult seeing as you are
incorrect. The shape of the speaker has precisely butkiss to do with
creating distortion, or in other ways degrading the sound being reproduced.
Do I use round speakers? Absolutely, because I haven't found a 6x9 component
system. However, I will not bother guessing at why oval component systems
aren't made, because I don't know ... I could guess (like you are guessing
about the differences between oval and round) but that's a pointless
exercise. One thing is for sure, I have heard some stellar bass come out of
a 6x9 (the upgraded Monsoon system in a new Cobalt comes to mind) Maybe it
wasn't much in the 20 - 35Hz range, but it was plenty of output for the
average citizen looking to buy a car that he doesn't want to gut for sound.
Come to think of it, Chysler is using 6x9's in the front doors of the 300
series (I should know, I built the assembly line that produces them, and
watched the prototypes get built by hand) I haven't heard complaints about
the sound quality in one of those bad boys.
Best you backpedal on your views, or find some hard data to back them up ...
people don't let these things go unanswered around here :-/

--
Dan Snooks

Tony F

"Do I use round speakers? Absolutely, because I haven't found a 6x9
component
system."

Years and years ago I used to own an Infinity 3-way component set with 6x9
midwoofers, 3-inch midranges, and their EMIT tweeters. It was an AWESOME
set and I used them until they wouldn't play any more.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

Tony F

I wrote: "Years and years ago I used to own an Infinity 3-way component set
with 6x9
midwoofers, 3-inch midranges, and their EMIT tweeters. It was an AWESOME
set and I used them until they wouldn't play any more."

And I suddenly remembered it was their CS1-A set.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500 Amplifiers,
Phoenix Gold EQ-232 30-Band EQ, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped In Front and
Focal 130HCs For Rear Fill, 2 Soundstream EXACT10s In Aperiodic Enclosure

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

Scotty

"Doug" wrote in message
ups.com...

Scotty wrote:
"bob wald" wrote in message
that is the dumest statement i've heard since the internet was
invented......you win the top prize......

I agree Bob

PS: So what about the Kicker square subs! Do they only produce square
wave
signals?

What's with all the negative replies and flames? I'm not looking for a
flame war. I'm just trying set things straight about Ovals vs Rounds.
You need to understand the construction of a speaker to understand what
I am getting at. I'll try to explain it plain and simple. Oval speakers
are not as rigid as round speakers, they are an oblong shape,
therefore, distortion is audible more quickly than a round speaker.

Would like to read some scientific evidence on your theory about oval
speakers sounding worse than round.
How about some reading for us eh?

Some people just done deserve a PC eh.

I agree, that's why I am using a Mac...

Damn, that almost explains it. Im sure that Mac have perfected the audio
speaker, they would run super efficient, quality of a diamond and will
produce tones from 5Hz to 50,000Hz, but it would only run on 5% of stereo
systems.

Scotty

Bloody simple things to build yourself, just need to pull out the mid and
tweeter and you have a 6x9 bass driver. Find some nice 5inch mids and a set
of tweeters. Build a crossover from various websites and stores and you have
a fully component set.
Not at all hard to do.

(Just that buying a decent set of 6x9s and chopping out the extra bits would
be the hardest part.)

"Tony F" wrote in message
"Do I use round speakers? Absolutely, because I haven't found a 6x9
component
system."

Years and years ago I used to own an Infinity 3-way component set with 6x9
midwoofers, 3-inch midranges, and their EMIT tweeters. It was an AWESOME
set and I used them until they wouldn't play any more.

Tony

--
2001 Nissan Maxima SE Anniversary Edition
Eclipse CD8454 Head Unit, Phoenix Gold ZX475ti, ZX450 and ZX500
Amplifiers, Phoenix Gold EQ-232 30-Band EQ, Dynaudio System 360 Tri-Amped
In Front and Focal 130HCs For Rear Fill, 2 Soundstream EXACT10s In
Aperiodic Enclosure

2001 Chevy S10 ZR2
Pioneer DEH-P9600MP Head Unit, Phoenix Gold Ti500.4 Amp, Focal 165HC
Speakers & Image Dynamics ID8 D4 v.3 Sub

Scotty

"Kirby" wrote in message
I should have been more specific, by the continous power of the speaker.
When was the last time you seen a reputable speaker be rated at 100 watts
RMS when it distorts at 75?

Distorsion is not always created by over powering a speaker. Ive blown
speakers (Old ones as an experiment of course, gotta love customers old OEM
units) with less than half the rated power but with a distorted signal from
the amp.

Playing with high powered stuff into someone elses gear makes for
interesting afternoons when your works already done.

MZ

I should have been more specific, by the continous power of the speaker.
When was the last time you seen a reputable speaker be rated at 100 watts
RMS when it distorts at 75?

Distorsion is not always created by over powering a speaker. Ive blown
speakers (Old ones as an experiment of course, gotta love customers old
OEM units) with less than half the rated power but with a distorted signal
from the amp.

Your experience is quite common. It's another example of overpowering the
speaker with less than the rated power for the speaker.

Another example is how tweeters are sometimes rated at "system power". This
means that the true power handling of the tweeter is nowhere to be found on
the spec sheet. Instead, they give you a number which corresponds to the
size of the power amplifier that will blow the tweeter if the supplied
passive crossover is used. Quite misleading actually, but a lot of
reputable companies do it.