Posted to rec.audio.car
jaap jaap is offline

Default How should I connect my car alarm to the indicators?

Can somebody recommend how best to connect my new car alarm to the
indicators; I have tried several points behind the dash (the indicator
light, the hazard light switch), but each time I can only get the left
or the right indicators to light up, not all four. When I connect the
alarm to the two separate points simultaneously, I do indeed get both
sides to light up, but when I then use the indicators, both sides light
up, as if Iım using hazzard lights.

Any advice is much appreciated.

--
remove the animals to reply

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy Captain_Howdy is offline

The alarm should be hooked up to the maker lights. Brown wire @ the Light
Switch. Make sure that your alarm wire has a 12v+ output, some alarms you can
flip from + to - with a jumper within the alarm brain. Make sure it's set to
+.

In article ,
jaap wrote:

It's a 1986 Ford Capri 280; so it's all pretty basic...

In article ,
(Captain_Howdy) wrote:

Make model year of car???????????????????????????????????????

In article ,
jaap wrote:

Can somebody recommend how best to connect my new car alarm to the
indicators; I have tried several points behind the dash (the indicator
light, the hazard light switch), but each time I can only get the left
or the right indicators to light up, not all four. When I connect the
alarm to the two separate points simultaneously, I do indeed get both
sides to light up, but when I then use the indicators, both sides light
up, as if Iım using hazzard lights.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.car
John Durbin John Durbin is offline

You need diodes or a dual make relay inline with the light flash output
to keep the left and right side indicator circuits separated.The diodes
should be in the 4 amp to 6 amp range, and make sure your alarm can
cover the overall current draw as many are made to flash only the
parking lights which draw about half what the indicators do.

JD

jaap wrote:
Can somebody recommend how best to connect my new car alarm to the
indicators; I have tried several points behind the dash (the indicator
light, the hazard light switch), but each time I can only get the left
or the right indicators to light up, not all four. When I connect the
alarm to the two separate points simultaneously, I do indeed get both
sides to light up, but when I then use the indicators, both sides light
up, as if Iım using hazzard lights.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy Captain_Howdy is offline

Parking lights, I haven't yet seen an alarm asking you wire into a flasher
circuit. Sounds like a bad jap to english translation. What make is this alarm
Directed? LOL

In article ,
jaap wrote:
What are 'maker lights''? The instructions with the alarm specifically
recommend connecting to the indicators. Thanks for the diodes tip; I'll
get some and have a go with those.

jaap wrote:

It's a 1986 Ford Capri 280; so it's all pretty basic...

In article ,
(Captain_Howdy) wrote:

Make model year of car???????????????????????????????????????

In article
,
jaap wrote:

Can somebody recommend how best to connect my new car alarm to the
indicators; I have tried several points behind the dash (the indicator
light, the hazard light switch), but each time I can only get the left
or the right indicators to light up, not all four. When I connect the
alarm to the two separate points simultaneously, I do indeed get both
sides to light up, but when I then use the indicators, both sides light
up, as if Iım using hazzard lights.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Posted to rec.audio.car
D.Kreft D.Kreft is offline

On Jan 24, 9:57 pm, John Durbin wrote:

....make sure your alarm can cover the overall current draw....

Better yet, use a SPST relay. Some alarms have one built-in, so this
option
might be unnecessary, but if you're really paranoid you can use one
anyway--it's
much easier to replace a discrete relay than it is to have to possibly
go without
an alarm if the on-board relay fails for some reason.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8450_relay-car-electronics.html

-dan

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

D.Kreft wrote:
On Jan 24, 9:57 pm, John Durbin wrote:

....make sure your alarm can cover the overall current draw....

Better yet, use a SPST relay. Some alarms have one built-in, so this
option
might be unnecessary, but if you're really paranoid you can use one
anyway--it's
much easier to replace a discrete relay than it is to have to possibly
go without
an alarm if the on-board relay fails for some reason.

http://www.ehow.com/how_8450_relay-car-electronics.html

More importantly, especially if the alarm doesn't have a built-in relay, it's
easy to kill an alarm brain and/or pop its power fuse by simply breaking a bulb
and shorting its contacts. Using a separate relay (or two, in this case)
prevents this and allows you to control both lights separately.

Pick up a couple of the very-common Bosch automotive relays, as shown he
http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm (scroll down to "The Famous Bosch Relay"), and
he http://www.034motorsport.com/images/BoschRelay.jpg.

Assuming your alarm outputs a positive voltage for the light-flash, wire it up thus:

Connect pin 85 to ground.
Connect pin 30 to power.
Connect pin 87 to the wire feeding the lights.
Connect pin 86 to the alarm output.

Repeat for the other side of the vehicle.
Posted to rec.audio.car
John Durbin John Durbin is offline

1) You can do the same thing with one relay, if you use a dual make
where the two outputs are isolated until the relay makes. You want a
DPST with terminals 85/86/30/87/87b. 87 and 87b are isolated from each
other but both connect to 30 when the relay is energized.
Typically these are 10A-15A rated contacts so plenty of amperage to
drive indicator lights.

2) If the alarm is so poorly built you can blow it's power fuse by
shorting the parking light circuit, it's junk. All of ours have a
smaller fuse on the parking light flash wire (if it's a high-current
output) than they do on the power lead, so the most you can do is pop
the parking light flash fuse.

3) I always liked using the indicators (turn signals in other words)
myself as it is a lot brighter, you just have to be aware that many
alarms are only made to cover the current draw of a typical parking
light circuit (or circuits; some Euro stuff have 2-3 separate parking
light circuits).

Here's a *slightly* more informed source on the wide world of relays.
It's a bit Euro-centric given the theme of the site but covers WAY more
technical detail on relays than either of those sites did:

http://www.airheads.org/content/view/159/49/

JD

Matt Ion wrote:
D.Kreft wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Matt Ion Matt Ion is offline

John Durbin wrote:
1) You can do the same thing with one relay, if you use a dual make
where the two outputs are isolated until the relay makes. You want a
DPST with terminals 85/86/30/87/87b. 87 and 87b are isolated from each
other but both connect to 30 when the relay is energized.
Typically these are 10A-15A rated contacts so plenty of amperage to
drive indicator lights.

That works too, if you can find one. I've actually never seen one (not that
I've ever looked). Have a hard enough time finding an SPDT anymore, all anyone
seems to carry are SPSTs (two 87 terminals).

Of course, you don't HAVE to use the Bosch relays either, their SPSTs/SPDTs are
just the most commonly available.

2) If the alarm is so poorly built you can blow it's power fuse by
shorting the parking light circuit, it's junk. All of ours have a
smaller fuse on the parking light flash wire (if it's a high-current
output) than they do on the power lead, so the most you can do is pop
the parking light flash fuse.

That's another option, but of course, it depends on the alarm and the install.
If you're going to go out and buy a new one, it's something to look for, but if
it's something you already have or you're on a tight budget, it's something you
need to keep in mind. Either way, better safe than sorry.

alarm question. Jon Car Audio 2 January 4th 05 06:42 AM
Crimestopper car alarm problem gavnook Car Audio 5 November 6th 04 04:23 AM
Was I LIED to with this ALARM? bigbossfan80 Car Audio 2 April 5th 04 02:52 AM
Alarm problem: Clifford Cyber 3 Joey Car Audio 1 February 1st 04 06:29 AM
The Protector Car Alarm help - please! Nik Car Audio 1 January 12th 04 10:30 AM