Default Optimum airspace behind 6x9

I've gotten a fairly good pair of 6 X 9's (3 way kappas) that I must put
into boxes which I will make. I'll use 3/4 MDF with airtight joints all
around. Pure trapezoid shape, I'm thinking. The pre-fab wedges that
every store seems to carry are just 1/5 of a cubic foot. Seems kind of
small to me. What would be the optimum airspace be, given custom boxes?
Should I calculate for the speaker cone's intrusion into the box?
Venting or porting? Thanks in advance for your expert advice.
Paul Vina

Most 6x9s are designed for an IB install and placing them in an enclosure
usually results in less than stellar performance. If you must put them in a
box make it at least as big as the Vas of the 6x9s. That will simulate and
IB install and should have little or no effect on the sound.

Paul Vina

wrote in message
I've gotten a fairly good pair of 6 X 9's (3 way kappas) that I must put
into boxes which I will make. I'll use 3/4 MDF with airtight joints all
around. Pure trapezoid shape, I'm thinking. The pre-fab wedges that
every store seems to carry are just 1/5 of a cubic foot. Seems kind of
small to me. What would be the optimum airspace be, given custom boxes?
Should I calculate for the speaker cone's intrusion into the box?
Venting or porting? Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

wicked1

Ive always got much better bass with 6x9's in sealed boxes with alot of
juice going to them.I had a set of the Kicker 6x9's. I mouted them in the
rear deck in the stock locations and they didnt sound too impressive. Went
to the dealer to bitch and he sold me a set of enclosures for cheap. I put
the speakers in those and then remounted them from underneath the deck so
they were in the same stock location and it made a huge difference. The
6x9's actually bumped a bit with a 75x2 amp on them.

wrote in message
I've gotten a fairly good pair of 6 X 9's (3 way kappas) that I must put
into boxes which I will make. I'll use 3/4 MDF with airtight joints all
around. Pure trapezoid shape, I'm thinking. The pre-fab wedges that
every store seems to carry are just 1/5 of a cubic foot. Seems kind of
small to me. What would be the optimum airspace be, given custom boxes?
Should I calculate for the speaker cone's intrusion into the box?
Venting or porting? Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

Mark Zarella

That's because it created a better seal between trunk and cabin. But what
Paul said was essentially right. They're designed for IB use and should
ideally be in a sealed enclosure greater than the Vas. But it doesn't
matter a whole lot really. And it's certainly a help if your trunk/rear
deck isn't a good baffle.

wrote in message
I've gotten a fairly good pair of 6 X 9's (3 way kappas) that I must

put
into boxes which I will make. I'll use 3/4 MDF with airtight joints

all
around. Pure trapezoid shape, I'm thinking. The pre-fab wedges that
every store seems to carry are just 1/5 of a cubic foot. Seems kind of
small to me. What would be the optimum airspace be, given custom

boxes?
Should I calculate for the speaker cone's intrusion into the box?
Venting or porting? Thanks in advance for your expert advice.

Kevin McMurtrie

In article ,
"wicked1" wrote:

Ive always got much better bass with 6x9's in sealed boxes with alot of
juice going to them.I had a set of the Kicker 6x9's. I mouted them in the
rear deck in the stock locations and they didnt sound too impressive. Went
to the dealer to bitch and he sold me a set of enclosures for cheap. I put
the speakers in those and then remounted them from underneath the deck so
they were in the same stock location and it made a huge difference. The
6x9's actually bumped a bit with a 75x2 amp on them.

It could that your trunk vents into the cabin close to the speakers. I
gained some low-end bass in my Civic by putting weatherstrip foam along
the deck where the fold-back seats meet. That sealed up a 1/4 to 1/2
inch wide gap that was about five feet long (curved). There's still a
very large vent behind each of the side panels that I haven't dealt with
because access to them is a major headache and they're part of the air
circulation system.

They're designed for IB use and should
ideally be in a sealed enclosure greater than the Vas.

Forgive my ignorance. What is the "Vas"?
Paul Vina

It's Equivalent Volume. Basically the minimum airspace a box would need to
simulate IB.

Paul Vina

wrote in message

They're designed for IB use and should
ideally be in a sealed enclosure greater than the Vas.

Forgive my ignorance. What is the "Vas"?

Mark Zarella

It's a parameter specified in the Theile/Small parameters for your speaker.
You could check the manual for it. As Paul said, it's the volume at which
further increases in enclosure volume are inconsequential to the performance
of the speaker. In other words, it's the volume at which it behaves like IB
(infinite baffle).

"Paul Vina" wrote:

It's Equivalent Volume. Basically the minimum airspace a box would need to
simulate IB.

Thanks for the info, Paul. Continuing ignorantly, so, for the 6x9 this
would be a volume of air equal to that displaced by the rear structure
of the speaker: cone, magnet assembly, and basket? No way I can find
this figure out exactly but the .2 cu ft. prefab wedges obviously would
cover it. Would a larger airspace than this minimum be better? How about
insulation inside the box?