Posted to rec.audio.pro
R. L. Drake R. L. Drake is offline

Default Best equipment for stealth recording for voice (not music)

This may be slightly off topic for this newsgroup, and if so I apologize
and ask if any of you can direct me to a more appropriate newsgroup.

I usually wear a wire when I go to business meetings and such, because I
have a poor short-term memory, poor hearing, and arthritis which makes it
hard to write fast. I then take my meeting recording home, listen to it
with headphones while making notes, and then erase the recording.

I long ago gave up on asking people for permission to record, because even
when they give it, which isn't always, they do so only reluctantly, and it
makes them nervous and detracts from the spontaneity and benefit of the
meeting. Instead, I follow the "easier to ask forgiveness than permission"
route.

(Yes, I realize this is illegal in some jurisdictions... I'll jump off of
that bridge when I come to it.)

I use an Olympus digital voice recorder... not the most expensive one on
the market but several steps above the cheap brands. Usually I just stick
it in my shirt pocket and use the built-in microphone, but when I wear a
coat and tie I often put it in the inside pocket of the coat and use a
Radio Shack tie-clip microphone.

Usually, the audio quality is marginal at best, and often large blocks of
audio are indecipherable.

I'm looking for the BEST stealth microphone I can find, that is optimized
for voice and not music, that I can wear unobtrusively. A wireless pen
microphone, and wireless receiver that connects to the recorder, would be
best, but a wired solution is OK too.

Any suggestions?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mika riotix mika riotix is offline

not a good thing.

a href="http://mikariotix.blogspot.com"really/a

Posted to rec.audio.pro
mika riotix mika riotix is offline

a href="www.mikariotix.blogspot.com"really/a

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Don Pearce Don Pearce is offline

On 3 Apr 2007 09:31:22 -0700, "mika riotix"
wrote:

a href="www.mikariotix.blogspot.com"really/a

There is nothing at that link

Pearce Consulting
http://www.pearce.uk.com
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"R. L. Drake" wrote ...
I'm looking for the BEST stealth microphone I can find, that is optimized
for voice and not music, that I can wear unobtrusively. A wireless pen
microphone, and wireless receiver that connects to the recorder, would be
best, but a wired solution is OK too.

There are microphones made for inconspicuous (and even
invisible) use by the people who do sound for film & TV.
They hang out at news:rec.artst.movies.production.sound

Many are the size of a pencil eraser and even smaller.
One is made as a button with a pin that goes through
the clothing to the wire on the back. They also have
developed many methods of attaching the mics and
routing the wire so that movement, etc. doesn't cause
noises to be picked up by the mic.

Be warned that many (most?) of those mics are in the
$300-500 range.

Experiment with your RS microphone at home, putting
it in different locations, etc. Maybe making some alternative
clip to use in a different manner than lapel or tie-clip.

Don't mess with wireless since you have the recorder in
your pocket.

There are also eyeglasses that have microphones in
the frame, etc.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
DC DC is offline

R. L. Drake wrote:

I usually wear a wire when I go to business meetings and such, because I
have a poor short-term memory, poor hearing, and arthritis which makes it
hard to write fast. I then take my meeting recording home, listen to it
with headphones while making notes, and then erase the recording.

I long ago gave up on asking people for permission to record, because even
when they give it, which isn't always, they do so only reluctantly, and it
makes them nervous and detracts from the spontaneity and benefit of the
meeting. Instead, I follow the "easier to ask forgiveness than permission"
route.

(Yes, I realize this is illegal in some jurisdictions... I'll jump off of
that bridge when I come to it.)

You're a real charmer.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Apr 3, 12:12 pm, "R. L. Drake" wrote:

Usually, the audio quality is marginal at best, and often large blocks of
audio are indecipherable.

I'm looking for the BEST stealth microphone I can find, that is optimized
for voice and not music, that I can wear unobtrusively.

Ignoring the anti-social implications, the problem with hiding a
microphone under your jacket or in your pocket isn't the microphone,
it's the barrier you've created between the source and the microphone.
Any mic will sound muffled under those circumstances.

Do you take a laptop computer to these meetings? Maybe you could
record to that, using the built-in microphone. It won't sound great
because it will be on the other side of the screen from most of the
talkers, but those are usually pretty much omnidirectional and at
least there won't be a sock over it. Try it at home. You can pretend
you're taking notes, but don't make too much key noise.

The other approach is simply to take the bull by the horms, set a
microphone up in the middle of the table and say that you need to
record the meeting because you're physically unable to take notes.
Anyone who objects to being recorded probably would rather you forgot
what they said anyway.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Paul Stamler Paul Stamler is offline

You're asking us for advice on how to do something illegal. You're right,
this is the wrong group for that.

Peace,
Paul

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Steve King Steve King is offline

"R. L. Drake" wrote in message
news

[...]

I don't know if making such a recording is illegal. I'm not an attorney.
However, if it is legal... or if that does not worry you... you might
consider using the external microphone as you now do, except put the
microphone in the breast pocket of your suit coat. Make a small hole in the
breast pocket fabric and the inner pocket fabric. Run the mic wire through
those to the recorder. Mount the microphone using a narrow strip of gaffers
tape (cloth backed tape) so the the mic barely peeks out at the top of the
breast pocket. You will get very little clothing noise with this placement
and have a very good chance of getting usable recordings. The Pin Mic that
another poster suggested would be a great but expensive solution. That mic
runs a little over $250 plus a power supply is needed, about the size of a
cigar, which is another thing to hide and costs another $100 to $200.

Good luck,

Steve King

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Preben Friis Preben Friis is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote
snip
There is nothing at that link

I suspect that what we are seeing is a broken bot .... created to spam HTML
based forums.

/Preben Friis

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Mike is offline

On 2007-04-03, Steve King wrote:
"R. L. Drake" wrote:
I'm looking for the BEST stealth microphone I can find, that is optimized
for voice and not music, that I can wear unobtrusively. A wireless pen
microphone, and wireless receiver that connects to the recorder, would be
best, but a wired solution is OK too.

Any suggestions?

I don't know if making such a recording is illegal.

I do. In my state, Indiana, it is not illegal. I think it is illegal in
CA, CT, FL, IL, MA, MD, MI, MT, NH, NV, PA, and WA. If you want some
more detailed info:

http://www.rcfp.org/taping/

--
Mike

There comes a time when you should stop expecting other people to make
a big deal about your birthday. That time is age 12. -- Dave Barry
Posted to rec.audio.pro
R. L. Drake R. L. Drake is offline

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 14:10:11 -0400, Soundhaspriority wrote:

I suggest an assistive listening device:
http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...ec=frgl_502877

You may think you have poor short-term memory, but it may simply be the
burden of straining to hear.

Thanks. Sorry to say it really is bad short-term memory. I was injured
in an auto accident in 1981 and my short-term memory has been somewhat
impaired ever since.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
R. L. Drake R. L. Drake is offline

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 10:06:24 -0700, Mike Rivers wrote:

The other approach is simply to take the bull by the horms, set a
microphone up in the middle of the table and say that you need to
record the meeting because you're physically unable to take notes.
Anyone who objects to being recorded probably would rather you forgot
what they said anyway.

Yeah, I have tried that many times, mostly people might say "uh ... well
.... yeah ... I guess so ..." and then the rest of the meeting goes like
their mother or the Mother Superior from their Catholic high school is
listening in.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
R. L. Drake R. L. Drake is offline

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 09:35:08 -0700, Richard Crowley wrote:

There are microphones made for inconspicuous (and even
invisible) use by the people who do sound for film & TV.
They hang out at news:rec.artst.movies.production.sound

Many are the size of a pencil eraser and even smaller.
One is made as a button with a pin that goes through
the clothing to the wire on the back. They also have
developed many methods of attaching the mics and
routing the wire so that movement, etc. doesn't cause
noises to be picked up by the mic.

Be warned that many (most?) of those mics are in the
$300-500 range.

Thanks, Richard. I will check on rec.arts.movies.production.sound.
Meanwhile, do you have any contact information (websites, etc.) for the
"button with a pin" type? That sounds fairly near ideal.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
R. L. Drake R. L. Drake is offline

On Tue, 03 Apr 2007 12:37:07 -0400, DC wrote:

You're a real charmer.

Hi, DC. Well, I try to be. I guess I'm unclear on the implication. I
use technology to try to help myself compensate for and overcome my own
shortcomings without inconveniencing others. That's kind of part of what
technology is for, to a large degree, isn't it?

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Rich Rich is offline

R. L. Drake wrote:

Thanks. Sorry to say it really is bad short-term memory. I was injured
in an auto accident in 1981 and my short-term memory has been somewhat
impaired ever since.

Sounds like it may have been a bong incident.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

"R. L. Drake" wrote ...
Richard Crowley wrote:

There are microphones made for inconspicuous (and even
invisible) use by the people who do sound for film & TV.
They hang out at news:rec.artst.movies.production.sound

Many are the size of a pencil eraser and even smaller.
One is made as a button with a pin that goes through
the clothing to the wire on the back. They also have
developed many methods of attaching the mics and
routing the wire so that movement, etc. doesn't cause
noises to be picked up by the mic.

Be warned that many (most?) of those mics are in the
$300-500 range.

Thanks, Richard. I will check on rec.arts.movies.production.sound.
Meanwhile, do you have any contact information (websites, etc.) for the
"button with a pin" type? That sounds fairly near ideal.

A Google search for: pin microphone
revealed several hits including these...

http://www.equipmentemporium.com/Pro...nts/pinmic.htm
http://www.gothamsound.com/main.shtm...tem=SPINMITS1B

Posted to rec.audio.pro

"R. L. Drake" wrote ...
Mike Rivers wrote:

The other approach is simply to take the bull by the horms, set a
microphone up in the middle of the table and say that you need to
record the meeting because you're physically unable to take notes.
Anyone who objects to being recorded probably would rather you forgot
what they said anyway.

Yeah, I have tried that many times, mostly people might say "uh ...
well
... yeah ... I guess so ..." and then the rest of the meeting goes
like
their mother or the Mother Superior from their Catholic high school is
listening in.

That's not necessarily a *bad* thing in many cases! :-)

How do I encode Voice and Music Content with Windows Media Audio 9 Voice CH Pro Audio 5 July 5th 04 10:44 PM
is it about the equipment or the music? Steve P. High End Audio 29 June 28th 04 11:18 PM
Seeking a stealth digital voice recorder Jared Tech 12 February 24th 04 10:27 PM
Mix voice and music Swake General 0 December 29th 03 05:56 PM
Recording Voice - What equipment do we need? John Pro Audio 19 November 25th 03 03:46 PM