Vernon Boyce

Default Buying gear on Ebay --- how do you convert US 110 Volts to Europe 220 Volts?

Martin Quinn ) wrote:
: About to buy a vintage outboard device on Ebay from the US while I live in
: Ireland. Anyone know how I get the transformer to use 220 Volts instead of
: 110?

If you posted what it was, that might get a response more tailored to what
you are buying, but in general:

If it ain't switchable, you can replace it, or use an external voltage
converter. If it's a low current unit, then the cheapo units from Power
City etc will work. If it is an amplifier or something, you'll need a more
beefy unit from Peats (for example). Ireland is 240 volts/50Hz, BTW.

Regards,
Vernon.

--
Vernon Boyce, Soft Audio, , http://live.softaudio.com
Live recording of acoustic music in Dublin, Ireland
William Sommerwerck

If the unit does not have switchable voltage, you need a real 220V to 110V
step-down transformer, not "an external voltage converter," which could be
anything, including devices that will damage the unit.

By the way, as Europe is 50Hz, it's possible the unit might overheat or have
excessive hum, even if you're using the correct stepdown transformer. (This is
unlikely, though.)

As the other posted asked -- exactly what is it?

Laurence Payne

About to buy a vintage outboard device on Ebay from the US while I live in
Ireland. Anyone know how I get the transformer to use 220 Volts instead of
110?

By changing a setting on the transformer from 110v to 220v, if there
is one.

By purchasing a 220v 110v transformer, if there isn't.

You're not the only person in Europe who needs to run 110v equipment.
The transformers are generally available. Get a bigger one than you
actually need.

Don't suppose the 50/60Hz mains frequency would be an issue. But as
you're withholding information on just WHAT you're buying....:-)
Scott Dorsey

In article ,
Martin Quinn wrote:
About to buy a vintage outboard device on Ebay from the US while I live in
Ireland. Anyone know how I get the transformer to use 220 Volts instead of
110?

Depends on the device.

Could be:

1. You swap some jumpers or resolder some taps on the primary.

2. You replace the transformer with an easily available one that has a higher
voltage primary

3. You replace the transformer with a custom-made one that costs a bloody
fortune and has a higher voltage primary.

4. You use an outboard autotransformer.