Chenchen Ku

Default KT66/KT88 SE

Has anyone tried single ended KT66/KT88? compare to 300B? thanks.

Chenchen

Jim Candela

Do you mean KT66/88 triode connected? What about the KT-77?

Jim

"Chenchen Ku" wrote in message
Has anyone tried single ended KT66/KT88? compare to 300B? thanks.

Chenchen

Chenchen Ku

never locky enough to own or listen to KT77, but Mullard EL34 sound excellent.
I'm just wondering why most people feel 300B is the best triode, GEC KT66
triode connected sounds fine to me even in PP.

Chenchen

Jim Candela wrote:
Do you mean KT66/88 triode connected? What about the KT-77?

Jim

"Chenchen Ku" wrote in message

Has anyone tried single ended KT66/KT88? compare to 300B? thanks.

Chenchen

Fred Nachbaur

I think a large part of it is that the original 300B is one of the
rarest triodes, since they were made strictly for the phone company, and
the phone company never sold off any surplus -- choosing in many cases
to destroy it rather than sell it or give it away.

Being rare, that drives the prices up. And since there's a strong
tendency to equate price and goodness in this crazy world, 300B's end up
being considered the best.

Just a theory, mind you. ;-)

Cheers,
Fred

Jim Candela wrote:

Do you mean KT66/88 triode connected? What about the KT-77?

Jim

"Chenchen Ku" wrote in message

Has anyone tried single ended KT66/KT88? compare to 300B? thanks.

Chenchen

| Music: http://www3.telus.net/dogstarmusic/ |
| Projects, Vacuum Tubes & other stuff: |
| http://www.dogstar.dantimax.dk |

GerryE123

Chenchen Ku wrote:

GEC KT66 triode connected sounds fine to me even in PP.

Same here (Craftsmen C-500).

Gerry

Fabio Berutti

I made a neat little SE amp using a couple of standard 6L6s (in fact Russian
6P3S) connected in UL, in automatic (cathode) bias.
The gain stage is a grounded-cathode ECC81, DC coupled to a CF ECC82 which
drives the 6L6 through a plain .68 uF PP capacitor.
Each half of the double triodes above is used for one channel (the whole amp
is made out of 4 tubes).
I was in doubt about the operation mode, so I provided a switch to connect
G2 either to the UL tap or to the anode through a 680R resistor for triode
operation.
This made it easy to compare the two operation modes (never did a "hot
switching", though).
IMHO it sounds A LOT better in UL than in triode mode. Much more "dynamic"
and clean, while in "triode" it sounds too mellow and soft. Maybe better
for some classic piece, ie. quartets or the like, but generally speaking it
has too much a "tube" sound.
Nevertheless I'd say that a good beam tetrode can make a great SE amp,
because

- it is a lot easier to drive (which means a better sounding driving stage)
- it has no problems with AC hum

Consider to put in an UL/triode switch. It's cheap and can be useful.

Ciao

Fabio

"GerryE123" ha scritto nel messaggio
Chenchen Ku wrote:

GEC KT66 triode connected sounds fine to me even in PP.

Same here (Craftsmen C-500).

Gerry

Red Rocket

"Chenchen Ku" wrote in message
Has anyone tried single ended KT66/KT88? compare to 300B? thanks.

Chenchen

One of my amps is the Acoustic Masterpiece M101, about which you can read a
review he
http://www.positive-feedback.com/amb...rpieceM101.htm

This is a single-ended KT88 amp that that outputs 8 watts/ch in ultralinear
mode and 5 watts/ch pseudo-triode. I use it in ultralinear mode and it is
the clearest amplifier I've ever owned, context being that I have owned
Marantz 8B, Audio Research Dual 76A, Luxman M3045Bs, original Julius
Futterman H3aa monoblocks, Golden Tube SE100, numerous Stereo 70s, Mac MC40
monoblocks and once a transistor detour via a Bedini 25/25. I've listened
seriously to many more, including VAC, Cary, Air Tight, Bel Canto, etc.

The M101 is an Air-Tight design with Tamura transformers that seem to have
the density of plutonium. I have compared it with a number of 300B amps as
well as an Art Audio PX25, all of which were more expensive. I'll say that
the M101 has less romance than the various triode bottles but to me is a bit
more realistic. The dynamics of the KT88 amp were better. The triodes were
sweeter. The KT88 soundstage was more anchored, but the triodes gave little
better sense of space.

My amp is simple, with just a 12ax7 and a KT88 in each channel. While I do
find Genelex KT88s and KR's KT88s sound best, this amp is the least
responsive to tube rolling of any amp I've listened to. That is to say, the
difference between a pair of Svetlana KT88s and NOS GECs in this amp is
smaller than the same comparison in any other KT88 and less than tube
rolling of output bottles in any amp I've played with over the years. Once
I found speakers for this amp, I came to adore it. Before that it was my
Stax headphone amp.

Phil