Per Stromgren

Default Create surround on red book CD?

Cheers!

Can I put four channels on a red book CD by using some surround
encoder? I would like to take some CD:s, extract the stereo channels
on to my PC, subtract the two and put the resulting signal in the
surround channels a la Hafler to be decoded by the HT receiver. Can
this be done?

I have a new Yamaha HT receiver (RX-V450), which has most decoders, at
least what I can understand. It has a lot of "effects", but for some
reason it does not have the obvious one: put a delayed L-R in the rear
channels. So I thought I could fix this myself.

Per

PS. I'm impressed by the Yamaha, by the way! You get a lot of usable
electronics for a rather modest amount of money these days! It doesn't
sound so shabby, either.
Lucas Tam

Per Stromgren wrote in
:

Cheers!

Can I put four channels on a red book CD by using some surround
encoder? I would like to take some CD:s, extract the stereo channels
on to my PC, subtract the two and put the resulting signal in the
surround channels a la Hafler to be decoded by the HT receiver. Can
this be done?

I have a new Yamaha HT receiver (RX-V450), which has most decoders, at
least what I can understand. It has a lot of "effects", but for some
reason it does not have the obvious one: put a delayed L-R in the rear
channels. So I thought I could fix this myself.

Does your receiver have Dolby Pro Logic II or Pro Logic IIx? Or DTS Neo 6?
Any of these formats will "create" 5.1/6.1/7.1 output from a 2 channel
input.

--
Lucas Tam )
Geoff Wood

"Per Stromgren" wrote in message
Cheers!

Can I put four channels on a red book CD by using some surround
encoder?

No, red book is 2 channels of 44k1/16 .

Unless encode those two channels, like SQ .

geoff

Per Stromgren

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004 08:08:18 +1300, "Geoff Wood"
-nospam wrote:

"Per Stromgren" wrote in message
.. .
Cheers!

Can I put four channels on a red book CD by using some surround
encoder?

No, red book is 2 channels of 44k1/16 .

But so is VHS audio track in a way, isn't it? And VHS can carry
surround sound.

Unless encode those two channels, like SQ .

Yes, that was I had in mind.

Per.

Per Stromgren

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 19:06:54 GMT, Lucas Tam
wrote:

Per Stromgren wrote in
:

Cheers!

Can I put four channels on a red book CD by using some surround
encoder? I would like to take some CD:s, extract the stereo channels
on to my PC, subtract the two and put the resulting signal in the
surround channels a la Hafler to be decoded by the HT receiver. Can
this be done?

I have a new Yamaha HT receiver (RX-V450), which has most decoders, at
least what I can understand. It has a lot of "effects", but for some
reason it does not have the obvious one: put a delayed L-R in the rear
channels. So I thought I could fix this myself.

Does your receiver have Dolby Pro Logic II or Pro Logic IIx? Or DTS Neo 6?

Yes, all three.

Any of these formats will "create" 5.1/6.1/7.1 output from a 2 channel
input.

But the input signal is supposed to be encoded with this in mind, no?

Per.

Dave Platt

Per Stromgren wrote:

Unless encode those two channels, like SQ .

Yes, that was I had in mind.

Check around for surround-sound-encoding plugins for various PC-based
audio processing / digital-audio-workstation packages. You'll find
one at http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa-swh/docs...wh.html#id1401 (a
plugin for the Linux Audio Developer's Simple Plugin API, which is
supported by quite a few packages). I imagine that there are others
available, both commercially and perhaps for free, for Windows
applications.

--
Dave Platt AE6EO
Lucas Tam

Per Stromgren wrote in
:

Does your receiver have Dolby Pro Logic II or Pro Logic IIx? Or DTS
Neo 6?

Yes, all three.

Any of these formats will "create" 5.1/6.1/7.1 output from a 2 channel
input.

But the input signal is supposed to be encoded with this in mind, no?

Nope, Dolby Pro Logic II and Pro Logic IIx can extract a 5.1/6.1/7.1 track
from a 2 channel source:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...ologic_II.html
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...logic_IIx.html
http://www.dtsonline.com/consumer/ov...p?ID=383892649

Of course it's not as good as a true multi-channel source... but it's
better than nothing. Depending on the material, it can sound pretty good.
--
Lucas Tam )
Lucas Tam

Per Stromgren wrote in
:

But so is VHS audio track in a way, isn't it? And VHS can carry
surround sound.

If you can find a Dolby Pro Logic encoder... you can create your own multi-
channel tracks.

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/technology/surround.html

But your receiver can do something very similar with Dolby Pro Logic II/IIx
or DTS Neo 6 or one of the DSP programs.

--
Lucas Tam )
Per Stromgren

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:15:21 GMT, Lucas Tam
wrote:

Per Stromgren wrote in
:

Does your receiver have Dolby Pro Logic II or Pro Logic IIx? Or DTS
Neo 6?

Yes, all three.

Any of these formats will "create" 5.1/6.1/7.1 output from a 2 channel
input.

But the input signal is supposed to be encoded with this in mind, no?

Nope, Dolby Pro Logic II and Pro Logic IIx can extract a 5.1/6.1/7.1 track
from a 2 channel source:

http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...ologic_II.html
http://www.dolby.com/consumer/techno...logic_IIx.html
http://www.dtsonline.com/consumer/ov...p?ID=383892649

Hm... I seems that this is I want, I better try it before I do
anything else. Thanks!

Of course it's not as good as a true multi-channel source... but it's
better than nothing. Depending on the material, it can sound pretty good.

My idea wasn't multi channel either, it was the very basic Hafler
system.

I'll be back reporting what I hear!

Thanks again.

Per.

Laurence Payne

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 19:40:23 +0100, Per Stromgren
wrote:

Can I put four channels on a red book CD by using some surround
encoder? I would like to take some CD:s, extract the stereo channels
on to my PC, subtract the two and put the resulting signal in the
surround channels a la Hafler to be decoded by the HT receiver. Can
this be done?

No. Red book is two-channel stereo.
If you wish to encode that stereo in some way and decode it after
playback, that's another matter. But you can't directly record and
play more than two channels.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 20:36:05 +0100, Per Stromgren
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Nov 2004 19:06:54 GMT, Lucas Tam
wrote:

Per Stromgren wrote in
m:

Cheers!

Can I put four channels on a red book CD by using some surround
encoder? I would like to take some CD:s, extract the stereo channels
on to my PC, subtract the two and put the resulting signal in the
surround channels a la Hafler to be decoded by the HT receiver. Can
this be done?

I have a new Yamaha HT receiver (RX-V450), which has most decoders, at
least what I can understand. It has a lot of "effects", but for some
reason it does not have the obvious one: put a delayed L-R in the rear
channels. So I thought I could fix this myself.

The reason is, that it has DPL II!

Does your receiver have Dolby Pro Logic II or Pro Logic IIx? Or DTS Neo 6?

Yes, all three.

Any of these formats will "create" 5.1/6.1/7.1 output from a 2 channel
input.

But the input signal is supposed to be encoded with this in mind, no?

Not necessarily. DPL II takes a standard stero signal and creates the
surround channels, using a modern DSP advance on the simplistic Hafler
approach. While clearly at its most effective with a surround-encoded
soundtrack, it was *specifically* designed by the legendary Jim
Fosgate to provide the best possible result with normal two-track
stereo. Try it, and you'll hear how effective it is.

Kai Howells

For what it's worth, using the 7-channel Stereo setting or the Neo:6
Music setting should give you the best results.

I've got the big brother of that amp, and for critical listening use
the Direct Stereo mode, but for the majority of listening (like right
now) I have a stereo source (CD, MP3 or Streaming Radio) playing back
through the Neo:6 Music decoder and it's a good, full sound. You don't
get the funky effects that are possible with specially encoded source
materials, but it's pretty damn good none the less...

Kai

Peter Larsen

Geoff Wood wrote:

"Per Stromgren" wrote in message

Can I put four channels on a red book CD by using some surround
encoder?

No, red book is 2 channels of 44k1/16 .

That may not be entirely correct, the CD format is spec'ed also for
discrete quadrophony. No players able to play that back is known to me.
The general reply is of course to suggest DVD audio instead.

geoff

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

5.1 surround headphones - Need advice Marc Brown Pro Audio 11 April 7th 04 02:48 PM
DVD surround sound normanstrong Audio Opinions 11 January 4th 04 06:23 PM
1.5 kva transformer Dave Ryman Tech 81 December 15th 03 09:45 AM
How would I go about making a surround sound cd? Andrew M. Pro Audio 10 August 8th 03 08:42 PM
No surround channels playing Dark Side of Moon SACD Harry Lavo High End Audio 19 July 16th 03 03:10 PM