Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
George Hayek

Default Upgrade advice - CD player

Looking to upgrade the weak link, and it is IMO my CD player. Advice
welcome, especially relative to "synergistic matching" with my existing
setup:

Revel Gems (w/HGS10 sub)
Krell FPB200
Sonic Frontiers Line 1 (w/SF factory special edition upgrade)
Anthem CD1
Goertz speaker cable
Audio Research balanced cables preamp-amp path,
AQ mid-range cables between CD and preamp

I think the CD1 is nice, but looking for something more transparent,
musically involving, but not fatiguing.
The CD1 produces a "veiled" sound, hiding some of the music I know is there.

I have listend to:

Classe CDP10 -- too dry/analytical in my system
Meridian 588 -- liked it quite a bit, but transport had problems (skipped)

Players I have thought about, but have not (and likely can't get to)
audition::

New Meridian line
BAT VK-D5
Audio Research CD2 (3?)

Balanced outputs to drive the Line1 would be preferred, but not a hard
requirement. Price point below 3k preferred, not to exceed 4k.

Finally, I am a SACD/DVDA skeptic (will wait out the format wars) so a combo
player is not of interest.

Thanks in advance

George