Posted to rec.audio.tubes

Default Why do tubes get hot?

Yes, I know it sounds like a stupid question. And maybe it should be
stated as "How do tubes get hot?"

But, think about it: tubes are full of vacuum. Vacuum is an excellent
insulator. What makes the glass hot?

The only think I can think of is that the internal components must radiate
a lot of infrared light (which, by black body theory, means they must be
really hot), and the glass envelopes absorb it.

Does anyone here know what actually happens?

/kenw
Ken Wallewein
K&M Systems Integration
Phone (403)274-7848
Fax (403)275-4535

www.kmsi.net

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Phil Allison

Thermal conduction,

** ROTFLMAO !!

the conduction of heat through metal
elements of the tube such as the pins.

** Wacky !!!

There is never an absolute
vacuum in a tube,

** Really?

News to all those dumb electrons.

there is always a small amount of gas left in the
tube from manufacturing and as a tube is used more gas is released.

** Rocket scientist - no doubt.

.......... Phil

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Patrick Turner

Don wrote:

In article .com,
says...

wrote:
Yes, I know it sounds like a stupid question. And maybe it should be
stated as "How do tubes get hot?"

But, think about it: tubes are full of vacuum. Vacuum is an excellent
insulator. What makes the glass hot?

Thermal conduction, the conduction of heat through metal
elements of the tube such as the pins. There is never an absolute
vacuum in a tube, there is always a small amount of gas left in the
tube from manufacturing and as a tube is used more gas is released.

Surf my site:
http://www.RetroTech.ca

There is no problem with heat being radiated through a vacuum.
Consider the Sun....

The tube has a hot cathode and anode, and both conduct some heat
down the support rods to the glass, so it warms up, but the majority
of glass heating is because the heat radiating through the glass is partially
absorbed
so the glass gets hot.

And yes there is always some gas in any tube.
The gettering process is continuous through the tube's life,
and it is constantly absorbing atoms of gas.

Nothing is perfect though, but it doesn't need to be perfect
for a tube to work OK.

Large transmitter tubes have vacuum pumps connected to evacuate them
and prevent the cathodes from bombardment by heavy positively charged
molecules and atoms
of gas.

The sound of gas is much harder to discern when the gas quantity is
extremely small, as it is in most tubes that operate wiothin thier
spcification,
but usually gas causes noise and and if enough gas is present the tube fails
to operate correctly.

But that's another story; but there us sometimes no shortage of hot gas
in the postings sent to r.a.t sometimes.

Patrick Turner.