Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Stewart Pinkerton

Default Effective kill list for this group?

On Sun, 18 Dec 2005 01:18:15 GMT, wrote:

"Karl" wrote:

wrote:
I read this group to learn about tube amps and audio technology. I very
must dislike reading, and having my time wasted by, childish personal
attacks.

Why are you posting your killfile then? Seems to me like a personal
attack against everyone on your list.

That said, please add me to your list. I don't criticise people openly,
at least not as much as some people here, but I can't stand it when
people post their filter list. I've heard it called "vanity
killfiling." Seems like an apt description.

I hadn't heard that term, but I think I understand it. I apologise if I
offended you; that wasn't my intent. My posting of a kill list wasn't
intended as an attack on anyone. Only a way for some of us to cooperate in
improving our perception of the group's signal to noise ratio.

Isn't that a reasonable thing to do? Surely the people who post abusive
messages wouldn't be offended if some bystanders choose not to listen. I
really do want to stop receiving such postings, I'm sure others do as well,
and it seemed the most constructive way to proceed. If you have a more
practical suggestion, I would welcome hearing it.

It's sheer vanity to suppose that your killfile would contain the same
names as others would choose, if they actually used such a device.
OTOH, this thread in itself seems to do little for the SNR of an audio
group........................

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Karl

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
It's sheer vanity to suppose that your killfile would contain the same
names as others would choose, if they actually used such a device.

I think the name "vanity killfile" is applied to anyone who posts their
killfile list. Especially if they continue to respond to posters they
have claimed to filter. For an attention vampire being told they are
filtered is a serious punishment, but if the filterer announces
filtering, well that would be troll feeding.

OTOH, this thread in itself seems to do little for the SNR of an audio
group........................

I've read in another NG that the discussion of what is on/off topic is
considered on topic for NG's. Rereading this thread there are some
interesting on-topic discussions. Some stuff about lead free solder.
Perhaps they are doe-snotting.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Sander deWaal

Stewart Pinkerton said:

Nope, it was always there - I have a box full of Hitachi 2SJ/SK FET
pairs as well...................

I have several boxes full of them as well......
Except that those boxes actually work instead of sitting there idle.

:-)

--

"Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
- Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

"Karl" wrote:

I avoid any thread that has anybody's name in the title

Good tip, and easy to implement as a filter for known names. Thanks!

There are two strategies I use, since Google Groups doesn't have
filters (or spellcheck). I have been experimenting with a free
newsreader and a free newsservice, but I don't like the format and I
can't KF people who are continually employing sockpuppets (like Marc
Mulay of arf.genius.amps). Thunderbird needs to be able to filter by
data in the header before I'll employ it on a regular basis. If someone
can recommend a newsreader and newsservice (I'm willing to pay for good
ones), I'm all ears.

Personally, I've used Agent for years (not "Free" -- I paid for it), which
is fairly highly regarded as a newsreader. It has powerful filter
expressions, but for newsgroups, you can only filter on author and subject,
because that's all you have until you receive the message itself.
Fortunately, that's usually sufficient. It's be nice if one could use
spam-style filtering on newsgroups.

/kenw
Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Ruud Broens

"Sander deWaal" wrote in message
: Stewart Pinkerton said:
:
: Nope, it was always there - I have a box full of Hitachi 2SJ/SK FET
: pairs as well...................
:
:
: I have several boxes full of them as well......
: Except that those boxes actually work instead of sitting there idle.
:
: :-)
:
: --
:
: "Audio as a serious hobby is going down the tubes."
: - Howard Ferstler, 25/4/2005

Ok, ok, now i know why some of these Hitachi's carry
"Sotheby prices" : you two cleared out those final months
of production, good.

(but finally managed to find some 2SK369's priced below 1 Euro a piece :-)
singles, you will note
R.

btw, that wasn't you there in Amsterdam, december 14th, bidding on lot 436,
at Sotheby's, Stewart ?

Il Destriero Scafusia