dconder

Default Noise problem please help.

Need some help badly. I just hooked up my JL 500/1 and my IDMAX (which is
awesome btw). Some of you may remember, I had a noise problem with just the
300/4 hooked up but, I turned down the gains and could live with it. When I
fired the 500/1 back up, the noise went crazy. All this with the engine off
mind you. The noise sounds like listening to an AM station and the whine
changes pitch up and down. It is pretty darn loud. I tried all of this but,
nothing helped:

Unplugged RCA's to amps, noise gone
Used a muted cable, noise gone
Tried new ground point for amps, noise still there
Ran new remote wire outside of car, noise still there
Ran RCA's outside of car, noise still there.
Tried new ground for head unit, noise still there
unplugged antennae at brain and head unit, noise still there.

I am out of ideas. This is not a noise that can be lived with. Anyone who
has a suggestion, please speak up. If I can not get something done, I will
have to take it to my local installer and see if he can track it down. Which
will probably cost a fortune. This noise has not always been a problem. When
I had my Image Chameleons and a pair of ID12's, there was no noise like
this. I switched to the Diamond M661 and took the ID's out and the small
noise started with the 300/4. Then, added the IDMAX and hooked the 500/1
back up and noise started. Thanks.

__________________
----------------
Ever Changing System

Eclipse 7002 indash screen
Eclipse 5122 Disc changer
PS2
JL Audio 300/4
JL Audio 500/1
Diamond Audio M661 up front
Image Dyanamics 12" IDMAX

Paul Vina

Have your HU looked at. Everything you've done has eliminated everything in
the signal chain except the HU. I had the same problem a number of years
ago and it ended up being a burnt trace in the HU. I don't know how it
happened because the HU worked fine when I removed it, but when I put it
back in there it was! Had it fixed and all was good. If you have another HU
try it out. You could also run rca's from a friends car and see what
happens. If you do that make sure both cars are running.

Paul Vina

"dconder" wrote in message
[...]

dconder

I tried running RCA's from my other vehicle. It has an Alpine IVA-C800 and
I just unhooked the rca's from the brain of the Alpine and ran cables from
my amps of the noise car into the Alpine. Noise is still there. Now, I am
really confused. Where do I go from here. I consider myself pretty
knowledgable about car audio and this has me toasted. Thanks your any help
you can give me Paul.

. net...

"dconder" wrote in message
[...]

sanitarium

Sounds like something is up with the headunit. Do yo uhave a walkman or
portable CD player? Hook that up to your existing RCA cables, if noise
goes away its the head thats picking up noise.

Garrett

dconder wrote:
[...]

Paul Vina

Try another set of rca's. You didn't say if you used the original set when
you ran them outside the car or from the other car. If you have a broken
solder joint on the end it could cause this problem.

Paul Vina

"dconder" wrote in message
I tried running RCA's from my other vehicle. It has an Alpine IVA-C800

and
I just unhooked the rca's from the brain of the Alpine and ran cables from
my amps of the noise car into the Alpine. Noise is still there. Now, I

am
really confused. Where do I go from here. I consider myself pretty
knowledgable about car audio and this has me toasted. Thanks your any

help
you can give me Paul.

. net...

"dconder" wrote in message
[...]

dconder

I used a different set. They are not great but, it was all I had to reach
between the two vehicles. I might try tomorrow night to go the opposite.
Run from my Eclipse(in the noisy car) to my other vehicle amps and see what
it does. Anything else you can think of let me know.

"dconder" wrote in message
I tried running RCA's from my other vehicle. It has an Alpine IVA-C800

and
I just unhooked the rca's from the brain of the Alpine and ran cables

from
my amps of the noise car into the Alpine. Noise is still there. Now, I

am
really confused. Where do I go from here. I consider myself pretty
knowledgable about car audio and this has me toasted. Thanks your any

help
you can give me Paul.

. net...

"dconder" wrote in message
[...]

Ge0

Sounds like the head unit is defective. Something wrong in the pre-amp
circuit is causing an oscillation at the output stage.

Have you tried running signal into the amp using another source (i.e. patch
a portable CD player into it)?

--
Ge0
TeamAMP #4 - tech whiz type of guy
Low cost car stereo equipment repair/ modification
Contact me for advice or a quote.
Always interested in buying dead equipment too.
Looking for answers on car stereo topics?
www.mobileaudio.com
www.teamrocs.com
http://go.to/bcae/
Geo uses:
Main Stage = a/d/s/ 336is.2
Rear fill = a/d/s/ 335is.2
Subs = Audiomobile Mass 2012 S24
Head unit = Alpine DVA-7996
Processor = Alpine PXA-H700
Sub Amp = a/d/s/ P4100.2
Main & rear fill amp = a/d/s/ P840.2
www.microheat.com
"dconder" wrote in message
[...]

dconder

I was able to try a couple of things this morning and here is what I have
now. First off, here is the system:
Eclipse 7002
Eclipse 5122
JL 300/4
JL 500/1
Diamond M661 front
ID IDMAX 12" trunk

I took a portable digital radio and hooked it up to the 300/4 and unhooked
the 500/1 rca's. There was only a slight hiss in the tweeters. Probably
acceptable. I then hooked the portable up to the 500/1 and ran a really
good set of Stinger RCA's from the 500/1's pass thru into the 300/4's
inputs. Again, only a slight hiss. Then I hooked my Rockford rca's coming
from the Eclipse brain into the 500/1 and used the Stinger from the 500/1
into the 300/4 as before. There is still a changing pitch hum as before
but, not as bad. So, I have only one set of rca's from the brain to the
500/1 and I use the pass thru on the 500/1 to the 300/4. This leaves the
set of rca's from the brain to the 300/4 unhooked. The noise is still there
but probably half the volume. Problem is, I loose the ability to control
the sub seperate this way. I hope that helps some more. Let me know what
you think at this point. I do so appreciate all your help Paul.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
From what you've said you've done it has to be a problem before the amps.
Let me know what happens after you run your HU to the other car.

Paul Vina

Paul Vina

Where are your gains set? Did you follow the JL guidelines? They may be up
too high. I'm thinking it's a HU problem or you may have your rcas routed
close to a device that is radiating noise into your rcas.

Paul Vina

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
> [...]
From what you've said you've done it has to be a problem before the

amps.
Let me know what happens after you run your HU to the other car.

Paul Vina

Douglas Conder

Right now, they are down about to the bottom. I do use a test cd when I set
the gains and a multimeter to set to the JL specs. The one weird thing on
setting is the Eclipse has 5 volt preouts. The JL has a low/high setting
for input sensitivity and with the Eclipse, it should be on high. But, if I
set it on high, even with the gain all the way up, it will not reach its
target voltage. That has puzzled me as well. Maybe all of this is related
somehow.

I am going to buy a really good set of long cables today so I can do some
outside the vehicle and vehicle to vehicle testing. I too, think the JL
amps are fine and it has to be farther up the chain. My rca's now are
Rockford Twisted cables run down the center console but, they have been thru
several installs and vehicles and maybe something has happened to them.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
> [...]
From what you've said you've done it has to be a problem before the

amps.
Let me know what happens after you run your HU to the other car.

Paul Vina

Douglas Conder

Well, I just took the car to my local installer. Great guy. I do all my
own installs but, he did a great custom enclosure for one of my vehicles.
Plus, I help him out from time to time with material from my machine shop.
Anyway, he said that it did not sound like induced noise and thought it was
not in the RCA's. He said either something wrong in the Eclipse or maybe
some noise from the power leads of the head. Any thoughts??

ink.net...

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
> [...]
From what you've said you've done it has to be a problem before the

amps.
Let me know what happens after you run your HU to the other car.

Paul Vina

Paul Vina

I had an old Alpine HU (7618) that had outputs that went bad that had the
same symptoms you're having, could be that. Might be time to have a tech
look at your HU.

Paul Vina

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
> [...]
From what you've said you've done it has to be a problem before

the
amps.
Let me know what happens after you run your HU to the other car.

Paul Vina

Paul Vina

"Douglas Conder" wrote in message
ink.net...
Right now, they are down about to the bottom. I do use a test cd when I

set
the gains and a multimeter to set to the JL specs. The one weird thing on
setting is the Eclipse has 5 volt preouts. The JL has a low/high setting
for input sensitivity and with the Eclipse, it should be on high. But, if

set it on high, even with the gain all the way up, it will not reach its
target voltage. That has puzzled me as well. Maybe all of this is

related
somehow.

\

They might not be 5V preouts. Sony used to say their HU's had 4V preouts
but it was 2V per channel.

I am going to buy a really good set of long cables today so I can do some
outside the vehicle and vehicle to vehicle testing. I too, think the JL
amps are fine and it has to be farther up the chain. My rca's now are
Rockford Twisted cables run down the center console but, they have been

thru
several installs and vehicles and maybe something has happened to them.

It's possible. The strain of being moved around and pulled on a lot has been
known to damage them.

Paul Vina

dconder

Well, lets throw another log on the fire. I tried several different cable
combinations and it is pretty much the same deal. I now have my setup
exactly the way it was. The JL 300/4 bridged and the gains on both amps all
the way down. The hum is still there although not as loud. My problem now
is that when I turn the volume up to about 3/4, (Eclipse goes to 80, so 60),
the front speakers shut off. I do not even have to get to 60. Anywhere
from 50-60 and they will shut off for a second or two and then might cycle
on and off. Could there be something in the Diamond M661's that could be
causing all the problem. Even with the gains down, it will get pretty loud
but, it just shut them off. Where do we go now.

I am pretty convinced the rca cables and the amps are fine.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message

[...]

Paul Vina

BINGO! I'll bet one of your speakers is bad and showing the amp a short or
is actually shorting directly to ground. Disconnect all of the speakers and
then reconnect them one at a time until the noise comes back. Once you find
the set that's bad you can do the same thing to see if it's the mid, tweet
or crossover itself.

Paul Vina

"Paul Vina" wrote in message

[...]

dconder

I guess that was too good to be true. I unhooked both speakers and hooked
up a test speaker that I ran straight out of the 300/4 amp. I used my Image
Dynamics Chameleon, ran it thru its xover and only hooked up the tweeter.
Noise still there, just like the Diamonds. I guess that eliminates the
Diamonds from being a problem. My wife just got home so, I am going to run
from the Eclipse brain into the JL amps in my other vehicle. Hopefully,
that will tell me something. I will update again in a few minutes.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
. net...
BINGO! I'll bet one of your speakers is bad and showing the amp a short

or
is actually shorting directly to ground. Disconnect all of the speakers

and
then reconnect them one at a time until the noise comes back. Once you

find
the set that's bad you can do the same thing to see if it's the mid, tweet
or crossover itself.

Paul Vina

dconder

Ok, here is what I tried. Ran the rca's from my Eclipse brain into the JL
amps in my other vehicle. I tried my hardest but could not hear the hum and
pitch change. There was hiss but, no hum. I then hooked my Alpine
IVA-C800, that is in my other vehicle, up to the JL amps in my noise vehicle
and the noise came thru the Diamonds just like from the Eclipse. Maybe not
quite as loud but, that could be a preamp voltage difference between the two
units. I am pretty much at a loss. It started raining so, I am done for
the night but, any more suggestions you have, I will try. I really should
take the Eclipse out and have it checked to eliminate it but, I do not know
if anyone local can tell me that. I hate to have to send it in to Eclipse
without knowing if it is bad or not.

"dconder" wrote in message
I guess that was too good to be true. I unhooked both speakers and hooked
up a test speaker that I ran straight out of the 300/4 amp. I used my

Image
Dynamics Chameleon, ran it thru its xover and only hooked up the tweeter.
Noise still there, just like the Diamonds. I guess that eliminates the
Diamonds from being a problem. My wife just got home so, I am going to

run
from the Eclipse brain into the JL amps in my other vehicle. Hopefully,
that will tell me something. I will update again in a few minutes.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
. net...
BINGO! I'll bet one of your speakers is bad and showing the amp a short

or
is actually shorting directly to ground. Disconnect all of the speakers

and
then reconnect them one at a time until the noise comes back. Once you

find
the set that's bad you can do the same thing to see if it's the mid,

tweet
or crossover itself.

Paul Vina

Douglas Conder

Not the amp. I swapped them out before I came to work. Same Jl 300/4 in
both vehicles. Does the exact same thing. Hum still there and speakers
still shut off. I have had a few people suggest a ground loop but, would
this affect the speakers shutting off? It could explain the hum but, what
about the speakers?

"dconder" wrote in message
Will try that today for sure. Its kinda double-edged, I hope it is not

the
amp but, then again, at least I would know what it is.

. net...

"dconder" wrote in message
I guess that was too good to be true. I unhooked both speakers and

hooked
up a test speaker that I ran straight out of the 300/4 amp. I used

my
Image
Dynamics Chameleon, ran it thru its xover and only hooked up the

tweeter.
Noise still there, just like the Diamonds. I guess that eliminates

the
Diamonds from being a problem. My wife just got home so, I am going

run
from the Eclipse brain into the JL amps in my other vehicle.

Hopefully,
that will tell me something. I will update again in a few minutes.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
. net...
BINGO! I'll bet one of your speakers is bad and showing the amp a

short
or
is actually shorting directly to ground. Disconnect all of the

speakers
and
then reconnect them one at a time until the noise comes back.

Once
you
find
the set that's bad you can do the same thing to see if it's the

mid,
tweet
or crossover itself.

Paul Vina

Paul Vina

Check all of the speaker wiring, it may have rubbed through the insulation
somewhere and be causing a short.

Paul Vina

"dconder" wrote in message
Will try that today for sure. Its kinda double-edged, I hope it is not

the
amp but, then again, at least I would know what it is.

. net...

"dconder" wrote in message
I guess that was too good to be true. I unhooked both speakers

and
hooked
up a test speaker that I ran straight out of the 300/4 amp. I

used
my
Image
Dynamics Chameleon, ran it thru its xover and only hooked up the
tweeter.
Noise still there, just like the Diamonds. I guess that

eliminates
the
Diamonds from being a problem. My wife just got home so, I am

going
run
from the Eclipse brain into the JL amps in my other vehicle.

Hopefully,
that will tell me something. I will update again in a few

minutes.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
. net...
BINGO! I'll bet one of your speakers is bad and showing the amp

short
or
is actually shorting directly to ground. Disconnect all of the
speakers
and
then reconnect them one at a time until the noise comes back.

Once
you
find
the set that's bad you can do the same thing to see if it's the

mid,
tweet
or crossover itself.

Paul Vina

dconder

Well, I think I finally found my humming problem. Looks like my JL 500/1
has a problem. I took the 250/1 out of my other vehicle and hooked it up in
place of the 500/1 and sure enough, no hum whatsoever. Took the 500/1 off
the amp board and tried it one last time and immediate hum. Not sure why
but, very irritating. My seconder JL amp I have had problems with. One of
my 300/4's did basically the same thing.

I still do not have the speaker problem figured out. I tried unhooking one
speaker and the other would not shut off. Reverse the process and same
thing. It seems that they only shut off with both of them playing at the
same time. I think I might try to run new wire outside the car to the
speakers and see what that does. Confused to say the least.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
. net...
Check all of the speaker wiring, it may have rubbed through the insulation
somewhere and be causing a short.

Paul Vina

Ge0

Just out of curiosity, how do you have your amp mounted? Is the heat sink
to the amp grounded to the vehicles chassis or is it isolated? Many times
manufactures will tie the heat sink of their amps to the internal power
supplies floating secondary ground in an effort to eliminate ground loops.
Now, if you bolt the amp to the vehicles sheet metal you reconnect that
ground path. This not only can induce noise but can damage the amp.

Ge0
TeamAMP #4 - tech whiz type of guy
Low cost car stereo equipment repair/ modification
Contact me for advice or a quote.
Always interested in buying dead equipment too.
Looking for answers on car stereo topics?
www.mobileaudio.com
www.teamrocs.com
http://go.to/bcae/
Geo uses:
Main Stage = a/d/s/ 346is
Rear fill = a/d/s/ 345is
Subs = Audiomobile Mass 2012 S24
Head unit = Alpine DVA-7996
Processor = Alpine PXA-H700
Sub Amp = a/d/s/ P4100.2
Main & rear fill amp = a/d/s/ P840.2
www.microheat.com

. net...

"dconder" wrote in message
Will try that today for sure. Its kinda double-edged, I hope it is

not
the
amp but, then again, at least I would know what it is.

. net...

"dconder" wrote in message
I guess that was too good to be true. I unhooked both speakers

and
hooked
up a test speaker that I ran straight out of the 300/4 amp. I

used
my
Image
Dynamics Chameleon, ran it thru its xover and only hooked up the
tweeter.
Noise still there, just like the Diamonds. I guess that

eliminates
the
Diamonds from being a problem. My wife just got home so, I am

going
run
from the Eclipse brain into the JL amps in my other vehicle.
Hopefully,
that will tell me something. I will update again in a few

minutes.

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
. net...
BINGO! I'll bet one of your speakers is bad and showing the

amp
short
or
is actually shorting directly to ground. Disconnect all of

the
speakers
and
then reconnect them one at a time until the noise comes back.

Once
you
find
the set that's bad you can do the same thing to see if it's

the
mid,
tweet
or crossover itself.

Paul Vina

Daniel Snooks

Ge0 wrote
Just out of curiosity, how do you have your amp mounted? Is the heat sink
to the amp grounded to the vehicles chassis or is it isolated? Many times
manufactures will tie the heat sink of their amps to the internal power
supplies floating secondary ground in an effort to eliminate ground loops.
Now, if you bolt the amp to the vehicles sheet metal you reconnect that
ground path. This not only can induce noise but can damage the amp.

This irks me to no end. Why would someone (some company) design a product
this way? What would ever possess them to make an amp for a car that you
can't mount on metal? And heck, if they really want to build it so that it
needs to not touch metal ... build it so that it CAN'T ... arg, just makes
me very angry ...

I'm done ranting for now.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

dconder

My amps are mounted to an MDF board.

Update.....

It appears all my components are ok. At least, as far as I can tell. I
have swapped about everything I can. I still have the hum and the speakers
still shut off at high levels. The only other thing I know to try is run
new speaker wire and make sure it is not that. Other than that...???

"Ge0" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

. net...

"dconder" wrote in message
Will try that today for sure. Its kinda double-edged, I hope it is

not
the
amp but, then again, at least I would know what it is.

. net...

"dconder" wrote in message
[...]

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
. net...
BINGO! I'll bet one of your speakers is bad and showing the

amp
short
or
is actually shorting directly to ground. Disconnect all of

the
speakers
and
then reconnect them one at a time until the noise comes

back.
Once
you
find
the set that's bad you can do the same thing to see if it's

the
mid,
tweet
or crossover itself.

Paul Vina

Paul Vina

That's the last thing at this point, but it could very well be it.

Paul Vina

"dconder" wrote in message
My amps are mounted to an MDF board.

Update.....

It appears all my components are ok. At least, as far as I can tell. I
have swapped about everything I can. I still have the hum and the

speakers
still shut off at high levels. The only other thing I know to try is run
new speaker wire and make sure it is not that. Other than that...???

"Ge0" wrote in message
s.com...
[...]

. net...

"dconder" wrote in message
Will try that today for sure. Its kinda double-edged, I hope it

is
not
the
amp but, then again, at least I would know what it is.

. net...

"dconder" wrote in message
[...]

"Paul Vina" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

styianni

trye grownding your amps to each other specialy if you have capacitor
or maybe the noise is coming from your altenarator for this there are
special filters . hope i help you.

--
styianni

Douglas Conder

My amps are ground at the same point. I am not using a cap but, I have one.
I am actually going to try it tonight to see if it will help with the amp
shutting down. JL thinks it is a voltage problem.

"styianni" wrote in message

trye grownding your amps to each other specialy if you have capacitor
or maybe the noise is coming from your altenarator for this there are
special filters . hope i help you.

--
styianni
styianni's Profile:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/m...fo&userid=1748
View this thread:

http://www.realcaraudio.com/forums/s...?threadid=9522

Douglas Conder

Some progress to report.....

I found out that the reason my amp was shutting down was that somewhere, I
have a big voltage drop. I checked the voltage with the music cranked and
it was all over the place. Anywhere from 10's to 13's. At JL's suggestion,
I replaced the 8 gauge with the 4 gauge coming straight from the battery and
added a new 4 gauge ground and made a new ground point. This is just with
the 300/4, not both amps. I cranked it up and loud as I wanted and it never
shut off and sounded alot better. Checked the voltage again and even with
the amp bridged, the voltage never dropped below 14 volts. So, for some
reason, my 8 gauge cables were dropping voltage. Not sure why yet. I did
notice that my ground cables were way too long. Not sure if that could do
it but, they were like 5-6 feet each. The new 4 gauge ground is like 18".
I am wondering if the noise problem could be something with the poor
voltage. We will see. I have to figure out either a way to fixed the
voltage leak from the 8 gauge or run 0/1 gauge to two 4 gauge or run another
4 gauge from the battery.

Douglas

"dconder" wrote in message
[...]

Daniel Snooks

Douglas Conder wrote
[...]

Paul is right about the 1/0 being overkill, I would go a step further and
say that you can run the existing 4 gauge into a fused distro block and then
use 6 gauge to each amp from there (try to keep the 6 gauge runs short) You
could also run the same deal with the grounds using an unfused distro, but
the only reason to do that would be esthetics.

--
Regards,
Dan Snooks

dconder

Thanks Daniel for the suggestion. Turns out, it was not the wire but for
some reason, the ground point. I made a new ground point and hooked the 2 8
gauge ground cables to it and everything worked fine.

The noise problem seems to be a ground loop. I installed a Scosche Isolater
and I think it got about all of it. Now, I just have a bit of hiss.
Getting closer I think.