Posted to rec.audio.car
Adam Adam is offline

Default High-beam kill switch problems with '96 Outback

Hi all,

I bought a '96 Subaru (Legacy) Outback a couple of years ago. It has
some sort of aftermarket kill switch/security system installed and
won't start unless you flash high beams while turning the key.

In the past it has always been fine ... but it has started getting
cranky recently and the car often refuses to start, usually at the most
inconvenient time. The first couple of times it happened, I
disconnected the battery and it started right up, but that has stopped
working. So now I just randomly do stuff until it starts, like lock
and unlock the doors, open and close the hood, open and close the
hatch, jump up and down on the front bumper, etc. Eventually I'll do
something and it will start....

Does anyone have any more details about this system? I've Googled but
can't find anything, so I don't know what "activates" it. I'm the
third owner of the car ... it was installed by the original owner and
the guy I bought it from doesn't know anything other than the bit about
the high beams.

I really just want to remove/disable it. Any tips on where to look?
I've looked under the hood and don't see anything that looks
aftermarket, and I didn't see any weirdness in either of the fuse
boxes.

If I take it to a car audio shop will they be able to find it? I
really want to avoid taking it to the Subaru dealer...they charge an
arm and a leg to do anything.

Thanks,
Adam

Posted to rec.audio.car
The Lull The Lull is offline

Adam,

Unfortunately, I think that the best way to start this whole process
would be to take your steering column apart and start following wires
from the ignition switch (assuming it's located in the steering column
like most cars these days). I would assume that in order to have a
kill switch set up like yours, someone would have to install some sort
of relay that basically runs a constant interrupt except when the
brights are activated. I say I assume, because I've never done
anything like this - I've toyed with the idea, but never done it (HA!
Flame Disclaimer Man to the Rescue!).

The point is that by physically following the ignition wires you should
be able to find where they go into something like this. Then you
should be able to figure out which wire is interrupted by said relay
and simply bypass it. Simple theory, hard work.

Good Luck!

~The Lull

Adam wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
not i not i is offline

On 16 Oct 2006 11:34:22 -0700, "The Lull"
wrote:

[...]

And follow airbag rules when working on the steering column.

Airbags can KILL !!

~The Lull