Posted to rec.audio.car
[email protected] ajclone@gmail.com is offline

Default Eclipse CD4000 vs. Alpine 9857 or others

I've had an Eclipse unit the past 6 years (can't recall model..had the
5v preamp outputs) and it has served me well but I want the ipod
functionality so I've been looking for a new unit. I started with the
CD4000 but have noticed that the Alpine 9857 seems to have plug and
play functionality while I need to purchase an additional eclipse
adapter for that unit. Other than that, as I've compared these units,
the alpine seems to win on the features list (XM or Sirrus, etc.). So
I've given the edge to Alpine there...but I can't compare the some of
the other things such as build quality, sound quality, etc. so I'm
looking for some feedback wrt to that...and anything else that might
help as I compare these two units.

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

I don't know the SPECIFICS about those two units (I have the Alpine 9853),
but as far as build quality, both Alpine and Eclipse have EXCELLENT
reputations for quality and reliability. The last three HU's I have owned
(over the last 12 years) have all been Alpine and I have had no problems
with any of them. All three NEVER quite working or gave me any problems at
all (the first one,7939, was stolen so I HAD to replace it, the second,7863,
was replaced ONLY because I wanted MP3 capability).

I have never owned an Eclipse but I have ALWAYS heard good things from
Eclipse owners. They make an excellent HU.

Let me put it this way, if I were shopping for a HU today, I would likely
look at ONLY Alpine and Eclipse models.

MOSFET

wrote in message
oups.com...
I've had an Eclipse unit the past 6 years (can't recall model..had the
5v preamp outputs) and it has served me well but I want the ipod
functionality so I've been looking for a new unit. I started with the
CD4000 but have noticed that the Alpine 9857 seems to have plug and
play functionality while I need to purchase an additional eclipse
adapter for that unit. Other than that, as I've compared these units,
the alpine seems to win on the features list (XM or Sirrus, etc.). So
I've given the edge to Alpine there...but I can't compare the some of
the other things such as build quality, sound quality, etc. so I'm
looking for some feedback wrt to that...and anything else that might
help as I compare these two units.

Thanks

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Hmmmm, just noticed the preamp outputs are 2V on the alpine and 5V on
the eclipse..always a tradeoff.

Coincidentally, the next thread in this group deals with EXACTLY that topic
and you can read our thoughts on the matter.

After reading through those posts, you may find there really isn't much of a
tradeoff at all. I think this 2V vs. 5v has more to do with marketing than
anything else. It's a selling point but has little REAL value in terms of
improving SQ.

MOSFET