tj_one

Default Need help in picking the right app.

I need help in picking the right application. I do a lot of live
recording sessions and need some help in upgrading my rig. Currently,
I have a rig which will consist of a Yamaha 01X, 2 I88X's, TASCAM
CD-RW750, and a Dell laptop. I am going to add a TC Electronic
Finalizer Express and perhaps some Presonus compressors. I'm new to
the world of PC based recording (Usenets too) and I need some help in
deciding the right package to complete my setup. I need a good stable
application that will allow multitrack recording for remixing later.
I've narrowed my search to Cubase SX3, SL3 or perhaps Sonar 4 (I know
it's a Cubase group). I don't anticipate a lot of midi work so it's
not that important to me. Any advice I can get will be appreciated.

Please note I've posted this message in the alt.steinberg.cubase
discussion and I haven't many responses.

On 21 Sep 2005 07:32:57 -0700, "tj_one" wrote:

I need help in picking the right application. I do a lot of live
recording sessions and need some help in upgrading my rig. Currently,
I have a rig which will consist of a Yamaha 01X, 2 I88X's, TASCAM
CD-RW750, and a Dell laptop. I am going to add a TC Electronic
Finalizer Express and perhaps some Presonus compressors. I'm new to
the world of PC based recording (Usenets too) and I need some help in
deciding the right package to complete my setup. I need a good stable
application that will allow multitrack recording for remixing later.
I've narrowed my search to Cubase SX3, SL3 or perhaps Sonar 4 (I know
it's a Cubase group). I don't anticipate a lot of midi work so it's
not that important to me. Any advice I can get will be appreciated.

Please note I've posted this message in the alt.steinberg.cubase
discussion and I haven't many responses.

I haven't used Sonar, so I can't really compare, but as far as I know
they are all pretty much on par these days. The learning curve for
some is a bit steeper. I know Logic is a bitch to learn. The bottom
line is once you've committed to one it will probably make sense to
you and others will seem like a different language.
Personally I use Nuendo. It has midi capabilities, but I rarely use
them and it is not designed to be mostly for midi.
It is very similar to SX.

Arny Krueger

"tj_one" wrote in message
oups.com
I need help in picking the right application. I do a lot
of live recording sessions and need some help in
upgrading my rig. Currently, I have a rig which will
consist of a Yamaha 01X, 2 I88X's, TASCAM CD-RW750, and a
Dell laptop. I am going to add a TC Electronic Finalizer
Express and perhaps some Presonus compressors. I'm new
to the world of PC based recording (Usenets too) and I
need some help in deciding the right package to complete
my setup. I need a good stable application that will
allow multitrack recording for remixing later.

Take a look at Adobe Audition. It has good stable multitrack
recording and remixing. I record 30 minute- 90 minute
sessions of 24 tracks at least once a week.

Arny Krueger

"John Phillips" wrote in message
om

Sorry for the off topic but Arny, how do you get 24
tracks into Adobe Audition when recording?

A Delta 1010 and two Delta 1010LT audio interfaces source my
recordings.

How many bits per sample?

I've done both 16 and 32 bit recordings. It's all good.

Sidhu

sL is a very good applet. Great for audio and for Midi too (in case u
need it). One thing that might be an issue with a laptop is that Dongle
sticking out of the USB ports (some ppl. with lappies have broken
them).

Do also check out Tracktion. It's real cool, with a very fresh single
window approach to DAW's... works superb in small screen working
environments (laptops?) It's extremely logical, easy to learn, comes
with very good audio functionality and very decent midi too. Costs
under 200 USD and has quite a fan following now... (if u try the demo,
excust the default color scheme, switch to classic)

www.tracktion.com (now distributed by mackie)

Sidhu

p.s. figured an audio interface ?

wrote:
[...]

arfgru

I thought Audition can't handle ASIO? The WDM driver supplied with the
Yamaha products can only do 2 channel playback, no recording at all, at
least until Loghorn comes out. I don't own Audition so can't conforim
this, but just a warning.

Another solution would be Tracktion, which is pretty sweet if you just
need the basics.

Arny Krueger wrote:
"tj_one" wrote in message
oups.com
I need help in picking the right application. I do a lot
of live recording sessions and need some help in
upgrading my rig. Currently, I have a rig which will
consist of a Yamaha 01X, 2 I88X's, TASCAM CD-RW750, and a
Dell laptop. I am going to add a TC Electronic Finalizer
Express and perhaps some Presonus compressors. I'm new
to the world of PC based recording (Usenets too) and I
need some help in deciding the right package to complete
my setup. I need a good stable application that will
allow multitrack recording for remixing later.

Take a look at Adobe Audition. It has good stable multitrack
recording and remixing. I record 30 minute- 90 minute
sessions of 24 tracks at least once a week.

tj_one

Thanks for the info. I've starting looking at tracktion 2 and the hard
disk idea is intriguing but how would I integrate a hard disk system
(like the Alesis unit) with my 01x?

arfgru wrote:
I thought Audition can't handle ASIO? The WDM driver supplied with the
Yamaha products can only do 2 channel playback, no recording at all, at
least until Loghorn comes out. I don't own Audition so can't conforim
this, but just a warning.

Another solution would be Tracktion, which is pretty sweet if you just
need the basics.

Arny Krueger wrote:
"tj_one" wrote in message
oups.com
I need help in picking the right application. I do a lot
of live recording sessions and need some help in
upgrading my rig. Currently, I have a rig which will
consist of a Yamaha 01X, 2 I88X's, TASCAM CD-RW750, and a
Dell laptop. I am going to add a TC Electronic Finalizer
Express and perhaps some Presonus compressors. I'm new
to the world of PC based recording (Usenets too) and I
need some help in deciding the right package to complete
my setup. I need a good stable application that will
allow multitrack recording for remixing later.

Take a look at Adobe Audition. It has good stable multitrack
recording and remixing. I record 30 minute- 90 minute
sessions of 24 tracks at least once a week.

Arny Krueger

"arfgru" wrote in message
ups.com

I thought Audition can't handle ASIO? The WDM driver
supplied with the Yamaha products can only do 2 channel
playback, no recording at all, at least until Loghorn
comes out. I don't own Audition so can't conforim this,
but just a warning.

You're right, the current of Audition, does not support ASIO
at all.

zakos

tj_one wrote:
I need help in picking the right application. I do a lot of live
recording sessions and need some help in upgrading my rig. Currently,
I have a rig which will consist of a Yamaha 01X, 2 I88X's, TASCAM
CD-RW750, and a Dell laptop. I am going to add a TC Electronic
Finalizer Express and perhaps some Presonus compressors. I'm new to
the world of PC based recording (Usenets too) and I need some help in
deciding the right package to complete my setup. I need a good stable
application that will allow multitrack recording for remixing later.
I've narrowed my search to Cubase SX3, SL3 or perhaps Sonar 4 (I know
it's a Cubase group). I don't anticipate a lot of midi work so it's
not that important to me. Any advice I can get will be appreciated.

Please note I've posted this message in the alt.steinberg.cubase
discussion and I haven't many responses.

If you don't expect a lot of midi work then you should definitely have a
look at Samplitude, a very powerful multitrack software. I regularly do
live recordings from 24 to 32 tracks, it is a wonderful editor and has
good mixing possibilities.