Philippe bdc

Default recording multitrack audio on the field (i mean "on the field" !) who did that ?

hello
i am planning to setting up a field multitrack recording system
(documentary 5.1 shooting in natural reserves all over the country)
i choose to use the edirol fa-101interface hooked to a pc via
firewire ; i was advised by people at edirol tu use cakewalk sonar soft for
recording

Did anybody use this config before ?

I don't have the soft at the moment i am just looking for advices

My problems :

1/ handling of time-code
i can have a wire or wireless connection with the camera (beta 600)
but do i have to record the time-code as an audio track like we used
to do or do i have to convert it to midi time-code and input it in the
pc (in this case is this MTC recorded syncronous with audio ?)
I read somewhere that sonar does'nt export midi, this could lead to
serious problems

2/managing audio tracks
after recording are the audio tracks exportable as separate audio
files (wav) each one with its track number and session name ?
otherwise how would you manage this when transferring to a DAW ?
Subsequent question: i want to burn a dvd each day with all the files
recorded during this workday
what format of files will be burnt on the dvd ?

Thank you to all who will try to help me

Philippe BIDAULT DES CHAUMES, Paris, france
Rich Peet

I have done a good deal of natural sound surround for the past two years.
The best recorder is just being released right now for that use with video.
See Sound Devices 744T and consider a used MP2 as the second outboard pre
that will be needed. http://www.sounddevices.com/products/7.htm

Myself I use a RME Multiface with a Quadmic Preamp. I built a custom case
for field use on batteries and get very nice 4 channel natural sounds where
the surround is not reinforcement but becomes a total immersion.

I usually record 4 individual .wav tracks at 24/44.1 and then use
proprietary software to encode to dolby 5.1.

I have the capability currently to go 8 channel but lack the 8 matched full
range speakers to be able to tell you if it is worth that effort. I
currently prefer to ignore the center front on 5.1 but do find that the home
theater people prefer that I mix front right and left to the center.

Mic setups are a very long subject matter in immersion surround. Good luck.

Rich Peet

m...