litepipe

Default Mixing and Separation

Hello everyone,
I have a question regarding separation in mixes. I
was wondering how many of you appraoch using sends for reverbs in your
board...The reason I ask is I have a Mackie 8bus and I have the sends set so
that it sends out in mono and comes back on the right and left (reverb). I
was wondering if you prefer to have complete stereo reverb? I feel with my
setup I lose separation when I apply any reverb. it blurs the stereo image.
I don't use a lot of reverb. I usually use some on the snare and I'm
wondering if I would be better off using the insert on the snare channel.
What is the normal procedure?
I did a mix with a client last night and we used
very little reverb. It was the best mix I've done yet. Everything had it's
place. I would like to have the option of getting more of a wet mix if need
be and I'm tying to figure out how as another client I have likes reverb.
Likes to put quite a bit on the snare but boy does it clutter the mix (the
music is a very full arrangement). Any tips or stories to share?
Thanks!!
--litepipe

S O'Neill

litepipe wrote:

[...]

Nothing. You've found that the appropriate use of reverb also includes
when not to use it. I've done whole CDs with nary a trace, even one
that included a pitch shifter tracking a fourth below the vocal.

Mike Caffrey

litepipe wrote:
[...]

I usually set up one dual mono reverb and one dual mono delay and then
the rest are set up the wya you've described.

I don't think your mono send to stereo returns are affecting the
pverall stero image as much as you think and I'm pretty sure most
people run their effects that way.

Try some longer predelays. Maybe EQ out some highs or lows too.

You migh be able to sorten the decay times with a longer predelay.

Also, short delays can sometimes be used in place of reverbs.