Posted to cakewalk.audio, rec.audio.pro
Doc Doc is offline

Default How to switch between WDM and ASIO drivers with an M-Audio Audiophile2496.

It's my understanding that ASIO and WDM are different types of
drivers. I'm not a techie but apparently there are different protocols
that each follows, and many sound cards can use both.

I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Apparently the ASIO drivers are
included in the drivers from M-Audio, even though they're labeled
"WDM".

In the app I'm using - Cakewalk Home Studio 2, there's a place to
switch between ASIO and WDM drivers. However, shouldn't there also be
some kind of command within the Audiophile controls to tell it to use
the ASIO drivers? I've been all over the Audiophile control panel and
see no such button/command. The only place I see ASIO mentioned on the
control panel is a checkbox to "Disable Audio App Use of Monitor Mixer
and Patchbay/Router". Why this would be needed isn't clear to me.

When I click the options in Cakewalk to go into ASIO mode, then all I
see in the drivers list are a number of options for Creative, I assume
related to the Audigy Soundcard I also have installed for Midi
purposes, no mention of the Audiophile at all.

Thanks for all input..

Posted to cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro
sambodidley sambodidley is offline

"Doc" wrote
[...]

I don't know how Home Studio works but in Sonar, after you change the Audio
to ASIO you have to close Sonor and restart it to make the change. Then
after it is restarted you go back to Audio and select the Driver tab. You
should see all your ASIO drivers (input and output) listed. Select all the
drivers you want to use and then they should show up in Home Studio. If any
Creative drivers are still listed under the Driver tab you should unselect
them.

Posted to cakewalk.audio,rec.audio.pro

On Thu, 6 Dec 2007 19:08:59 -0800 (PST), Doc
wrote:

It's my understanding that ASIO and WDM are different types of
drivers. I'm not a techie but apparently there are different protocols
that each follows, and many sound cards can use both.

I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Apparently the ASIO drivers are
included in the drivers from M-Audio, even though they're labeled
"WDM".

In the app I'm using - Cakewalk Home Studio 2, there's a place to
switch between ASIO and WDM drivers. However, shouldn't there also be
some kind of command within the Audiophile controls to tell it to use
the ASIO drivers? I've been all over the Audiophile control panel and
see no such button/command. The only place I see ASIO mentioned on the
control panel is a checkbox to "Disable Audio App Use of Monitor Mixer
and Patchbay/Router". Why this would be needed isn't clear to me.

The switch within Cakewalk is sufficient. It is detecting that you
have alternative drivers available. Choose the one you prefer.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Mike Rivers Mike Rivers is offline

On Dec 6, 10:08 pm, Doc wrote:

I have an M-Audio Audiophile 2496. Apparently the ASIO drivers are
included in the drivers from M-Audio, even though they're labeled
"WDM".

In the app I'm using - Cakewalk Home Studio 2, there's a place to
switch between ASIO and WDM drivers. However, shouldn't there also be
some kind of command within the Audiophile controls to tell it to use
the ASIO drivers?

The driver is what goes between the operating system and the hardware.
Cakewalk talks to the operating system, telling it to use the WDM
driver, the OS loads that driver, and uses it for passing data to and
from Cakewalk. The card itself (the hardware) doesn't know or care
which driver it's using. That "end" of the driver doesn't change, only
the end that talks to Cakewalk (through the operating system).