Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Keith Park Keith Park is offline
Banned

Default Restored Antique Radios FS

Restored Antique Radios FS

Just be sure to click on the "Radios for sale icon" to view the sets!

These investment quality Fully Restored radios will give you the advantage
of a set that has indeed been RESTORED, and not simply fixed, repaired,
spiffed up, or outsourced to another servicer or refinisher for work.

I have 29 years of experience in Antique Radio restoration and combine that
with my full time day job of MRI coil and system development and expertise
in Failure analysis to produce a restoration that has had detailed
attention given to each part of the radio, and not just a simple gutting of
the electronics or recapping of the chassis.

Each questionable part is replaced, wiring is examined, all tubes
are tested and replaced if necessary, mechanical assemblies are
disassembled, cleaned, relubed and aligned. Each set also gets a new
powercord that is grounded or polarized and an AC line fuse is added if not
already equipped.

Cabinets get detailed veneer repair and replacement if necessary
from an extensive inventory of vintage veneer, dial bezels are restored,
each knob is refinished or detail cleaned, Photofinish is recreated if
necessary and 7 coats of hand rubbed finish are applied. The result is
stunning and gives the purchaser a set that will be around and working for
many, many, years to come. Please visit the above website for even more info
about me and my restorations.

My Restorations are just what you're looking for if you want a set that
looks and works as new. These are completely redone, not only part of the
cabinet is refinished and another part left cobbled up, the entire unit is
restored. These restorations are not simple "Recappings with a new power
cord" I tend to every part of the chassis that needs attention, cleaning and
relubing mechanical parts, rebuilding of dial assemblies, detailed
refinishing or cleaning of knobs and bezels and any specific needs of a
particular chassis. My sets are not "over restored", I don't rip every
component and wire from the chassis and replace it just because its old,
these sets are preserved in as much of their original state as possible to
keep them reliable and safe. 30 years of doing antique radio restoration
goes into knowing just what needs to be done and just how it should be done
when I restore one.

Thanks!!

Keith Park

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bret L Bret L is offline

My sets are not "over restored", I don't rip every
component and wire from the chassis and replace it just because its old,
these sets are preserved in as much of their original state as possible to
keep them reliable and safe. *30 years of doing antique radio restoration
goes into knowing just what needs to be done and just how it should be done
when I restore one.

Thanks!!

Keith Park

No one gives a **** about antique radios here.
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jul 4, 5:45*am, Bret L wrote:
*My sets are not "over restored", I don't rip every

component and wire from the chassis and replace it just because its old,
these sets are preserved in as much of their original state as possible to
keep them reliable and safe. *30 years of doing antique radio restoration
goes into knowing just what needs to be done and just how it should be done
when I restore one.

Thanks!!

Keith Park

No one gives a **** about antique radios here.

Oh yes they do.

What you really meant to say was that YOU don't give a **** about old
radios.

There are a lurking number who have some interest in tubed radio for
AM and FM reception.

But I would predict there would not be many who would buy a large
floor standing AM radio which was a popular purchase which their young
wealthy grandfather would have made in 1935. Keith has a few such
grandiose radios for sale for well over USD $1,000 and probably they
would have cost MUCH more in 1935 in real terms of how many weeks
wages it took to buy such a thing, depending what your job may have
been.

I have a large Healing radeio in my workshop at the moment for some
servicing. I restored it about 10 years ago. Work had already been
done by someone about 20 years ago to replace the original separate
power supply chassis with something using solid state and that's what
failed. The lady owner of about 65 cherishes this old radio. The radio
is neither a poor performer nor a really good performer because it has
tubes meant for battery operation which was common in older times when
there was no mains supply to many farms and probably the owner grew up
on such a farm so the original radio worked from a couple of 90Vdc
batteries and another for the 2Vdc cathode filaments. This old set
has no short wave which was popular on the old days when any variety
at all was welcome from the local stations. Nevertheless, it does have
an RF amp stage and a switch for distant and local broadcast band
reception and very few ppl bought radios with the extra RF stage
because they didn't need it in the suburbs of cities, and it cost much
more.

Part of my working life is devoted to the repair and serviceing of
ancient radios. Much of what is brought to me for a fix is designed
very badly and I have no reluctance to remove some of the crap
circuitry and instal new circuits of my own design for the diode + RC
detection, AVC circuit, and audio circuits, and power supplies.
Sometimes I will change the tube types to ones which are more commonly
available, like using an EL84 instead of a 6M5. I routinely replace
all the capacitors and most resistors, and clean up switches and fit a
mains fuse and a safe mains lead which grounds the chassis. Another
common mod it to fit a ferrite rod antenna which works on the magnetic
part of the electro-magnetic radio wave and therefore produces much
less noise, albeit at some loss of sensitivity. Most old AM radios
just use any old bit of wire about 2 metres long for their antenna and
such antennas pick up the hum noise-muck produced by everyone's crummy
****ing crappy Chinese made power supplies in plug packs and compact
fluorecent lights which do NOT comply with national regulations on
spurious emissions and radio interference rules. Some wanted radio
stations manage to be picked up by the power supplies which modulate
it and re-radiate it so that while the AM radio may be quiet off any
station there may be much hum when you tune to the wanted station.
When I do manage to optimise the working of a tubed AM radio the audio
bandwidth is usually about 4kHz which is sufficient for speach. This
is MUCH BETTER than the utter rubbish performance possible from the
lousy ****en silicon chips installed in many portables and in many AM-
FM tuners or receivers which were designed in countries where AM
stations are only 4.5kHz apart. In Oz we have AM stations at 9kHz
apart, and its a huge country, so my local Government owned Radio
National station, 2CY on 845kHz is permitted to broadcast 9kHz of
audio width which won't interfere with a station only 9kHz away on the
band but 3,000 km away across the country. I designed and built a
decent superhet circuit for myself in 1999 which has 20kHz IF bandwith
which allows 10kHz of audio bandwidth. The sound from Radio National
is excellent. The other stations are just randomly run pop music which
repeats itself and with adds, or its red-neck talk back which insults
the intelligence of anyone whose IQ is above 90. AM is mainly boring
commercial crap except for the government stations, and nearly all AM
reception would cease entirely if the Gov owned AM transmitters were
turned off or transferred to FM. But both AM and FM are about to be
displaced by Digital Radio where data streams in from carriers
operating above 250MHz and it would be impossible to build an all tube
circuit which could receive the new kind of signals. I cannot even
find a schematic of the internals of the chips used for digital radio
reception.

Old radios will eventually become functionless and just pretty bits of
bakelite or wooden furniture for those who like retro styling.

New programmes on digital radio will mainly be just crap, but with hi-
fi sound.

See how the world goes backwards?

Patrick Turner.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Watt? Me worry? Watt? Me worry? is offline

On Jul 3, 2:45*pm, Bret L wrote:

No one gives a **** about antique radios here.

Hi RATs!

Bad Brat, no one gives a care about your fetid mind, here. You post
for your own reasons, I post for mine.

Your regurgitated hostility is pathetic, but, not interesting.

It's OK, I collect old tube junk, with and without tuners.

It's fun! That is not a curse. You think like a troll under a bridge.
Must make you feel special, huh?

Happy Ears!

Al Marcy

Posted to rec.audio.tubes
Bret L Bret L is offline

On Jul 4, 10:41*am, "Watt? Me worry?" wrote:
On Jul 3, 2:45*pm, Bret L wrote:

No one gives a **** about antique radios here.

Hi RATs!

Bad Brat, no one gives a care about your fetid mind, here. You post
for your own reasons, I post for mine.

Your regurgitated hostility is pathetic, but, not interesting.

It's OK, I collect old tube junk, with and without tuners.

It's fun! *That is not a curse. You think like a troll under a bridge.
Must make you feel special, huh?

Happy Ears!

Al Marcy

God you are dumb, Marcy.

I have several old radios including both quality AC domestic sets
and communications gear plus RF generators and spectrum analyzers. The
point is that there is a NG for old radios, actually several.

Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jul 5, 7:38*pm, Bret L wrote:

*God you are dumb, Marcy.

*I have several old radios *including both quality AC domestic sets
and communications gear plus RF generators and spectrum analyzers. The
point is that there is a NG for old radios, actually several.- Hide quoted text -

OK, genius, do you read all the antique radio groups? I don't.

I am dumber than ever, but, not proud of my he-man potty mouth

You talk so mature, really. Oooh, quality. Gosh!

Happy Ears!
Al
Posted to rec.audio.tubes

On Jul 7, 8:16*am, "Watt? Me worry?" wrote:
On Jul 5, 7:38*pm, Bret L wrote:

*God you are dumb, Marcy.

*I have several old radios *including both quality AC domestic sets
and communications gear plus RF generators and spectrum analyzers. The
point is that there is a NG for old radios, actually several.- Hide quoted text -

OK, genius, do you read all the antique radio groups? I don't.

I am dumber than ever, but, not proud of my he-man potty mouth

You talk so mature, really. Oooh, quality. Gosh!

Happy Ears!
Al

Hiya Al,

Don't let anyone upset you. There are always going to be ppl who will
tell us we should be somewhere else.

But the fact remains that old radios are full of tubed circuits and
serious discussion about their operation and restoration is quite
appropriate on this news group. However, it seems to me the need for
people to discuss anything here at all has declined to an almost
negative quantity.

In 2000, when I began posting here there were often 100 posts a day
relating to using vacuum tubes. Most of the discussions were about
audio power amps in guitar amps and hi-fi amps. But considerable
posting was related to preamps and radios and transmitters. There has
been much discussed on a broad range of subjects which are seldom ever
discussed at groups specicially devoted to only radio restoration.

There were also a few flame wars and flows of gibberish. But that's
life. If I spent any time in a pub I would find that's what you get;
sometimes its friendy, and sometimes you have to fight, and sometimes
you have to leave. But I mostly have good memories of rec.audio.tubes

When I began my interest in the Usenet news groups in 2000 the access
I had to all of them was very good for a few years. But the ISP I had
changed hands and forever afterwards I often found direct access to
Usenet groups became very bad, especially to technical groups which
allowed binaries, or images. So these days because the people hardly
ever want to discuss making anything using vacuum tubes seriously and
because my access to many groups is so difficult and because the radio
groups are rather boring I only come here. I have a real life with
real customers and I deal each day doing things I have discussed here.
I don't need to repeat myself; its all in the archives, along with
what so many others said which all enriched my life so much.

Patrick Turner.