Harry Lavo

Default Audio over DVD video?

"chung" wrote in message
news:Lrt4c.18835$i76.386034@attbi_s03...
Harry Lavo wrote:
"

The need for *un-natural* high-orders of filtration.

As on SACD?

Nope, SACD gets a gradual filter, just like upsampled CD and DVD-A.

Oversampling CD players use a gradual analog reconstruction filter.
They have been around for about 2 decades.

More like a bit over one decade in abundance. Partly why later CD players
sounded better than early ones. And even so, they still were pretty sharp
filters.

The
problem isn't in the ultrasonics. It's in the effects (or lack thereof)

in
the audible range created by the need for high-order filters starting

below
22khz.

Now that's really interesting. The vinyl system has significantly more
ripples in the passband and particularly in the upper midrange due to
(a) RIAA equalization errors, (b) cartridge (in conjunction with load
capacitance) response errors, (c)various mechanical resonances, (d)
tracking performance that varies as a function of signal frequency,
etc. There is also the bass signal summing to mono, reduced left-right
separation at high frequencies, an effective S/N of about 70dB at best,
and various wonderful effects. In fact, it's hard to find two vinyl
systems that measure within a dB of each other. How come these errors,
which are easily an order of magnitude higher than errors caused by the
filters in CD players, never stop vinylphiles from loving that format?
Yet, any relatively insignificant errors in CD players cause "fatigue",
make the music sound like "crap" and unlistenable?

Simply because the problems with digital were much more noxious soundings
than any of the analog problems, other than inner-groove tracing distorion.

And BTW, I can show you many cartridges with near-perfect 1000k square wave
response..and many even with damn fine 10k response. So all your postulates
above apply only to inferior equipment, to the degree that they become
obnoxiously audible. Why can't you understand that the "ear" and the
"brain" are the ultimate things that must be satisfied, not a technical
theory.

Compare that to your digital signal.

What does the high-end of the CD standard mean? You mean players

that
cost a lot of money and have no better performance? I'm with you

there.

I mean high-frequency response aberrations that are audible, in

practice. I
mean the difference in listening to jazz cymbals recorded and played

back as
straight CD, versus the same played back with upsampling and mild
filtration. One sounds like crap; the other sounds like music.

You are comparing DA implementations here, not 16 bit PCM versus

anything
else. Bad DA is not the format's fault.

A standard that in most practical implementations cannot reproduce music
correctly even in the subjective sense is a flawed standard.

Great. By that definition, the LP is a severely flawed standard, based
on the magnitudes of the errors. That didn't seem to stop you from
saying it's "ahead of SACD/DVD-A".

In sound, Chung, in sound. As I and others have pointed out to you here at
least three times in this very thread...but which you like to ignore and
instead focus on specsmanship.

The
16bit/44.1khz Redbook standard is/was a flawed standard. Even the

engineers
who created it came to understand that 20bit/66khz would be required to
reach the limits of human hearing. So why all the defensiveness?

You seem to not understand the issue, which is not whether the CD is the
best standard. For reasons mostly associated with ease of mastering,
having more bits and wider bandwidth make the hi-rez formats better. But
the CD format has errors that are close to, if not below, human hearing
thresholds. In comparison, vinyl is grossly inadequate. Why the
defensiveness when we state to you that the vinyl system is the inferior
delivery format? Why attack CD in order to make vinyl look good?

The issue is that you way over-exaggerated the inadequacies of the CD
format, and simply glanced over the much bigger problems of vinyl.
That's what we are objecting to.

I understand the issues much more clearly than you think. But I don't
substitute specs for subjective listening quality. Which is why I say what
I say. And why many others agree.

And secondarily with CD's tendency to
have less depth and a 'flatter' bass and lower midrange

dimensionality.
SACD solves these problems wonderfully. So does DVD-A. Both

assuming
equipment that allows the advantage to come through, of course.

Maybe you need a better CD player?
No, these are a function of bit depth, and you *should* be able to

hear

them.

There is no flat bass because there is 'only' 16 bit available. Flat

bass
is caused at other places in the chain.

One of the clearly audible advantages of SACD and DVD-A heard through

decent
equipment on a good, hi-rez system is much more apparent depth and
dimensionality to instruments and the human voice.

It's the usual party line: if you can't hear the differences, your
system must not be decent enough.

By the way, how do you explain why vinyl, with its much lower effective
number of bits, had so much "depth" and "dimenion"?

This has been discussed ad infinitum on this and other forums, and I am
simply not going to open that bag of worms here.

This is particularly
apparent in the bass, and is generally ascribed to the greater bit depth

and
lowered noise floor in the upper bass and midrange where human hearing

is
most acute.

Harry Lavo

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Nousaine" wrote in message
"Harry Lavo"
wrote:

...many snips to specific content .....

.....as before.......

That's because there is no better "sounding" medium although IMO dolby
digital-V, DVD-A and SACD offer improved spatial performance but

require
multichannel speaker systems. Indeed good 2-channel to multichannel

converters
like the Lexicon Logic 7 formats are a big step forward all by

themselves.

Your opinion, Tom, not a proven fact. Or even an opinion heard by most

who
have heard the high-res formats.

Actually few 2-channel or high-rez have actually used the Lexicon system.

In a
similar fashion your arguments haven't been shown to be fact either. And
"support" from folks many of who believe in all sorts of strange phenomena

that
hasn't been shown to factual either doesn't add credence to your personal
opinion nor give it greater weight than mine.

I was taking issue with your statement that "there is no better 'sounding'
medium, not with your Lexicon statement. Sorry I wasn't more clear. I
haven't heard the Lexicon, but I have been enamored of surround sound since
1970 when I add Hafler matrixing and rear speakers to my then-stereo system.
So I'm not inclined to dispute your statement to begin with, and since I
haven't heard the Lexicon I'm hardly in a position to even if I wanted to.

Ironically, you fail to appreciate the fact that I am arguing that good
vinyl, played on a fine turntable system and a SACD of the same

performance
should sound similar. I know, because mine does and so does the system

of
another friend. Chung argues his SACD's sound much better than his

vinyl.
Since I *know* that vinyl can sound about as good as SACD, their must be
something wrong with his vinyl system. He never talks about it; just
disparages vinyl. There were a lot of crappy sounding vinyl systems in
existance; he may have one of them which would certain color his view.

But
to paraphrase him, it says nothing about the medium.

I'd reverse that argument as say that if your vinyl and SACD sound the

same
then it's quite likely there's something wrong with your SACD

implementation.

It is possible that a much more expensive SACD player than my C222ES would
sound more transparent. But I also know the old Counterpoint SA2 headamp
that I used to use with the same Turntable/arm/cartridge also was more
transparent. However, I am not talking about transparency per se, but about
dynamics, audible frequency response flateness, depth of soundfield (well, I
guess I am talking in part about transparency) and overall ease of
reproduction. You would have trouble picking the two media apart in my
system, and it is by an objective standards a very fine system.

Trounced in convenience, frequency extension, and maintenance. Not
necessary (I and many others would argue not-at-all) in sound quality.

I would disagree; CD trounced Lp in sound quality from the beginning.

Again, you are welcome to your opinion. It is certainly not universally
shared among audiophiles.

Nor is yours; I don't see the point.

The point is, like Chung, you keep trying to change the issue from *how it
sounds* to other criteria such as "specs" and "convenience". I am talking
"sound". That is the final arbiter.

Yeah, you could minimize the inevitable damage to vinyl.

If kept clean, not played repeatedly with no break between plays, and
eventually treated with last, they sound better than when they escaped

their
sleeves the first time (thanks to "Last"). Last, BTW, does a

wonderful
job
of removing traces of mid-range or high-frequency "distortion" that

seem
exist on many fresh-pressed records. (And before you jump me, I am

not
talking of inner groove distortion).

Well that's what we all love...a medium that cannot repeat good music

right
away without damage. And requires routine maintenance. That's kind of

like
saying that synthetic oil is not as good as regular because although

it's
more
slippery and doesn't wear out with use it's worse because it reduces

the
personal involvement of the car owner.

Who has ever argued that CD was not more convenient than vinyl. Nobody

on
this forum that I can recall. How do you spell strawman?

I was arguing performance not convenience. I'm surprised you can't see the
difference. To me this argument has a strong element of "listening to

vinyl,
like changing your own old-tech oil instead of
increasing your engine life with long-interval synthetic, is better

because it
requires more owner attention." IMO the vinyl-love affair says more about

the
ritual of playing than about the delivered performance.

Well you are wrong, as even a short time on the vinyl forum would prove.
I've heard maybe two people in five years have anything positive to say
about the maintenance vinyl requires. People like it *despite* the hard
work. Some do get pleasure from larger jackets, as I sometimes do. But
that is *not* a reason for the preference.

Frankly, as much as Gabe is revered here, I have yet to hear *ANY*

other
studio engineer or mastering engineer who claims that a final CD

sounds
exactly like the master tape.

Then you've not spoken with John Eargle or James Gibeau have you?

No but I read a lot of audio press and for many years belonged to the AES
and do not recall anybody, including Eargle, making this statement.

I've heard John make that statement in conversation with my own ears.

Okay, an antecdote. That's fine. Why do *you* believe he never published
it anywhere, given that he has been interviewed extensively and written
several scholarly articles?

I mean high-frequency response aberrations that are audible, in

practice.
mean the difference in listening to jazz cymbals recorded and played

back
as
straight CD, versus the same played back with upsampling and mild
filtration. One sounds like crap; the other sounds like music.

Not if it's "jazz." Jazz ain't music; it's mostly a bunch of guys who

all
know
only one song trying to find a space when no one else is playing to

sneak
it
in. :-)

Just my opinion, of course. But the most musically inclined enthusiasts

know
are jazz fans and they tend to be primarily involved with the "music"

and
it's
presentation in a fashion like you'd hear it in a club....with people

talking
and with their backs to the performance while drinking lots of

alcoholic
beverage.

Well, if you don't like jazz then you are probably not the person to make
critical judgements about what sounds right or wrong in the reproduction

of
jazz cymbals, are you?

The last time I remember I have yet to find a percussionist who shopped

for
'jazz' cymbals. Just like I haven't been able to find a "country" violin

or a
classical fiddle.

I was talking about performance style, as I suspect you know. Jazz drummers
have generally a much more versatile and subtle array of cymbal playing
styles than do rock drummers...and cymbals as we are discussing have little
place in classical music. I'm talking the "shhhh" of cymbal brushwork. I'm
talking the absolutely lovely decay of a lightly hit cymbal....the fading
sound that cd just doesn't get right and analog and sacd and dvd-a do.

I didn't say anything about not liking jazz I just don't ascribe it the

same
reverance that hard-core fans like to give it. But in any case I don't see

how
"liking" a given musical format has anything to do with giving a

description of
the accuracy of its acoustical reproduction.

While we are on the subject of liking jazz or not, in your last post you
said (and I paraphrase) true jazz fans drink, talk, and sit with their backs
to the music in a club. I didn't respond but its been bothering me. I
spend a fair amount of time in jazz clubs in Boston, Northampton, and New
York City. True jazz fans generally listen closely and play close
attention to the playing, usually turning their chairs. Casual audience are
generally the ones behaving badly and making the noise, in my experience.
Perhaps we move in different jazz circles.

Indeed an emotional attachment to a given program can impede perceptual
accuracy. Indeed, Pete Rose fans never seem to appreciate that he made

more
diving catches of routine fly balls than anyone else in the history of the
game.

????

One might ask; well doesn't he use open-reel because it's the best

sounding
medium? Well the system was built in the 70s using 2 Viking open reel

recorders
(4 channels with 1 of them used for program selection ) so that he

could
'orchestrate' playback from dubbed recordings without having to change

media or
playback equipment. This was all truly done for the "love of the music"

and not
for that love masquerading as nostalgic equipment/media fixation.

You know, I've belonged to jazz clubs, and I go to live performances

(jazz
and otherwise) and I keep a nice boombox in the kitchen and a secondary
(hardly state of the art) system in my bedroom, and I like and listen to

lot of music...on those systems, and in whatever house the jazz club met

in.
That does not disqualify me from knowing what sounds more real or less

real,
or what a really fine system can do for musical enjoyment, all else being
equal. Your point?

Back to you; that's my point exactly I don't have to be a jazz fan to
appreciate the acoustical accuracy of reproduction either. I've heard

planty of
jazz; I have live recordings of same where I sat immediately adjacent to

an
ORTF pair recording the event. And all the rest. None of that disqualifies

me
in making a critical judgement of acoustical playback realism (a better

word
than accuracy) either. Nor does a "love" of the musical type hyper-qualify

me
either.

Sound is sound, no matter what the source; and I tire when advocates

complain
when I won't acknowledge 'sound' that doesn't exist and then blame my

taste and
preference in program and my playback equipment.

Harry Lavo

"Harry Lavo" wrote in message

snip

And BTW, I can show you many cartridges with near-perfect 1000k square

wave
response..and many even with damn fine 10k response.

oops. That's 1000hz, of course.

snip

chung

Harry Lavo wrote:
"

The need for *un-natural* high-orders of filtration.

As on SACD?

Nope, SACD gets a gradual filter, just like upsampled CD and DVD-A.

Oversampling CD players use a gradual analog reconstruction filter.
They have been around for about 2 decades.

More like a bit over one decade in abundance. Partly why later CD players
sounded better than early ones. And even so, they still were pretty sharp
filters.

Do you know that the first CD players by Philips/Magnavox use 4X
oversampling because they only have 14-bit DAC's? That was circa 1984 or
so. The first Yamaha players use 2X oversampling also.

[...]

You keep saying that, but you can't back it up with any measurements...

You can try the brickwall lowpass filter test on the PCABX site and see
if you can detect it. Wait, that would be comparative...never mind .

And BTW, I can show you many cartridges with near-perfect 1000k square wave
response.

Yes, show me a cartridge with near perfect 1000k square wave!

and many even with damn fine 10k response.

I'm not sure if you understand what you are saying. To capture a square
wave you need good response up to at least the 5th if not the 7th
harmonic. Vinyl is extremely poor reproducing 30KHz, 50KHz and 70KHz!

Note that you can't tell the difference between a 10KHz square wave and
a 10 KHz sinewave if the fundamentals are at the same level, so
reproduction of 10KHz square waves is a huge non-sequitur.

So all your postulates
above apply only to inferior equipment, to the degree that they become
obnoxiously audible. Why can't you understand that the "ear" and the
"brain" are the ultimate things that must be satisfied, not a technical
theory.

Exactly, and I think that your brain tells you that vinyl sounds better,
because you are used to it. It has nothing to do with accuracy; you just
prefer vinyl. Try not to make shaky technical arguments to justify your
preference.

[...]

Focus on which one is better as a delivery medium, not which one you
prefer (for all the various reasons), and you see the light...

[...]

I doubt it. Please explain the level of distortion coming from digital
filters, or analog reconstruction filters. Please compare those to
errors to vinyl. While you're at it, explain to us why upsampling can
souind so much better.

But I don't
substitute specs for subjective listening quality. Which is why I say what
I say. And why many others agree.

If you simply say you like vinyl, and not try to denigrate CD in the
process using quasi-technical arguments, you would have been fine...

[...]

But apparently you love to repeat it...

This is particularly
apparent in the bass, and is generally ascribed to the greater bit depth

and
lowered noise floor in the upper bass and midrange where human hearing

is
most acute.

S888Wheel

Exactly, and I think that your brain tells you that vinyl sounds better,
because you are used to it. It has nothing to do with accuracy; you just
prefer vinyl. Try not to make shaky technical arguments to justify your
preference.

This is a common assertion that IMO has no support. I can say personally my
preference has nothing to do with familiarity. and as for accuracy? Who knows
which is more accurate for any given recording? A lot can happen on the way to
playback for a recording on either medium.

Focus on which one is better as a delivery medium, not which one you
prefer (for all the various reasons), and you see the light...

Why? Are you proposing that one should ignore their ears for the specs? Bad
idea if enjoyment of the music is the final goal.

chung

Harry Lavo wrote:

In sound, Chung, in sound. As I and others have pointed out to you here at
least three times in this very thread...but which you like to ignore and
instead focus on specsmanship.

Oh, did I tell you that to my ears, well-recorded CD's sound so much
better than well-recorded vinyl? And all of my friends agree, too!
Harry Lavo

"S888Wheel" wrote in message
[...]

That has been the jist of this whole thread. I talk about sound; Chung
replies that I am wrong because the specs of his preferred medium are
better. I talk about sound; he talks about convenience. I talk about
sound, he talks about specs again.

As if this a Frisbee throwing contest, and we are only talking about whose
throw is the longest. We are an audio newsgroup; this is a hobby where the
ears (and brain) of necessity *have* to be the final judge. Music and our
understanding/reaction to it cannot by definition be reduced to "objective".
It is by its very nature *only* a subjective phenomenon. So *anything* that
affects it in the reproduction of sound has the potential to create a
subjective effect, perhaps through pattern matching even below the threshold
levels of audible "boundaries" when measured in simple two-dimensions.

Let me relate a little story that I have been reluctant to tell here before
because it is anecdotal and I have mentioned the gentleman's name here once.
Furthermore, the incident was not a scientific test...I doubt it was volume
matched other than by ear, although it was an engineer running the test.
The short-lived head of CBS labs lived across the street with me. One of
the arguments we used to get into was over whether accurate high-frequency
phase was important..I argued it was. He took the same position as most of
the engineers here; it doesn't matter..the brain can't distinguish a 10k
square wave from a 10k saw-tooth. As taught in engineering school, I guess.
I had an Acoustech amp at the time...flat from 2hz to 200khz. The gentleman
had an AR amplifier...rolled at both ends of the spectrum. He told me I
could not tell the difference...it had already been proven. I gave him my
amp. He rigged the system, hidden behind a tapestry-draped piano (speakers
mounted on the wall above). I was called into the room. He asked. I named
it. Correct. Repeated this about five times. Over AR4x's, no less (which I
never cared for). Got it each time, no matter which was in the system.

Afterwards, in further discussion, he allowed as perhaps the wide bandwidth
of my amp reflected "other factors" that I was hearing rather than phase
relationships. Perhaps he was right. Perhaps I was right. The point is,
he was as sure going in of his point of view as Chung is here. But at least
in this one instance, it appeared he might have been wrong. He was a little
more humble in our discussions after that.

All I can say to my objectivist friends here is: be a little more humble.
Science is wonderful; very few people here are anti-science. What we
subjectivists react badly to is scientific knowledge raised to the level of
dogma in an attempt to disown that fact that the end result of all this
science and engineering can only be judged subjectively, by a wonderful
mechanism called the brain, that has yet to yield up all it's mysteries.
Until it has, be open to the possibility of surprises, of phenomena that
seem not to fit standard theory, or previous knowledge. There may be
existing explanations, but there may also be the opportunity for new
knowledge.

To bring this back to the immediate topic:

a) My guess is that many vinyl preferrers take no issue with the fact that
phase effects and second harmonics may help explain why vinyl often seems to
have more presence. And my further guess is that most view this as an
enhancement, not a deficiency.

b) My guess also is that virtually all vinyl preferrers will reject the
theory that vinyl is less transparent than 16 bit cd reproduction. It
simply does not square with the subjective experience.

S888Wheel

Exactly, and I think that your brain tells you that vinyl sounds better,
because you are used to it. It has nothing to do with accuracy; you just
prefer vinyl. Try not to make shaky technical arguments to justify your
preference.

This is a common assertion that IMO has no support.

Is any of Mr. Lavo's arguments (vinyl has more depth, CD been
unlistenable in the first decade, the higher order of the "filtrating"
is why CD's cause fatigue, etc.) technically accurate?

"Vinyl has more depth and CD been unlistenable in the first decade" are not
technical claims. They are subjective claims so one cannot comment on their
technical accuracy. My first CD player was one of those 14 bit Yamaha jobs you
mentioned earlier. It was a bit better than my Yamaha rack system turntable
with the original P mount cartridge. I liked it at the time. It was hardly
unlistenable by my standards at that time. When i got a 75 dollar Ortofon P
mount cartridge it was a bit better than the CD player. Then I got a new 16 bit
CD player. It was better than the Yamaha rack system turntable with the new
Ortofon cartridge. Then I got a SOTA Star turntable with an Alphason HR 100 arm
and a Koetsu Black goldline cartridge. That pretty much killed the CD player.
Of course back then I wasn't really thinking about the mastering process. But
the hardware was making a difference every time with the same CDs and LP
counterparts. I found CDs to be generally fatiguing in comparison to my
SOTA/Alphason/Koetsu combo. I cannot say that Mr. Lavo's comments on filtering
are a technically accurate explination.

I can say personally my
preference has nothing to do with familiarity. and as for accuracy? Who

knows
which is more accurate for any given recording?

Yes, who cares what anyone prefers.

I do. I care about what I prefer.

But if we compare which delivery
format is better, accuracy has to be a major factor.

Better meaning what? To me better means preferable in the context it will be
used. So far I have found LPs to be better than CDs in most cases.

A lot can happen on the way to
playback for a recording on either medium.

That's why we keep saying that mastering is very important, and may very
well explain why people feel that SACD's sound better than CD.

It may very well.

Focus on which one is better as a delivery medium, not which one you
prefer (for all the various reasons), and you see the light...

Why? Are you proposing that one should ignore their ears for the specs? Bad
idea if enjoyment of the music is the final goal.

You misunderstood the context of that statement. I was restating the
point that vinyl, as a delivery format, is not ahead for all the
technical reasons given. Of course you are free to enjoy whatever you like.

I think it is for sonic reasons. I am not trying to offer a technical
explination for those sonic reasons but the sonic reasons do exist. On
audiophile recordings produced by audiophile labels that offer some of the best
sounding releases on both formats I have prefered the LPs to the CDs every
time. I don't think *that* has anything to do with the mastering. I think it is
the medium.

Harry Lavo wrote:

Let me relate a little story that I have been reluctant to tell here before
because it is anecdotal and I have mentioned the gentleman's name here once.
Furthermore, the incident was not a scientific test...I doubt it was volume
matched other than by ear, although it was an engineer running the test.

If it wasn't matched in level then the 'test' was fundamentally flawed. Since
you don't even know this for sure, your comments are worthless except to
yourself.

Furthermore, it isn't current knowledge that 'phase doesn't matter.'

All I can say to my objectivist friends here is: be a little more humble.
Science is wonderful; very few people here are anti-science. What we
subjectivists react badly to is scientific knowledge raised to the level of
dogma in an attempt to disown that fact that the end result of all this
science and engineering can only be judged subjectively, by a wonderful
mechanism called the brain, that has yet to yield up all it's mysteries.
Until it has, be open to the possibility of surprises, of phenomena that
seem not to fit standard theory, or previous knowledge. There may be
existing explanations, but there may also be the opportunity for new
knowledge.

It works both ways, sir. Your out of hand rejection of the partial loudness
model, apparently without even studying it, seems just a bit arrogant and
lacking in humility.

To bring this back to the immediate topic:

a) My guess is that many vinyl preferrers take no issue with the fact that
phase effects and second harmonics may help explain why vinyl often seems to
have more presence. And my further guess is that most view this as an
enhancement, not a deficiency.

It CAN be an enhancement in some instances by adding a lot of things that
aren't in the original, but those additions can be a rough and crude
substitute for the drawbacks inherent in any reproduction system that don't
have anything to do with the storage medium. It also subtracts a lot of
information that was in the original. Much more than CD, SACD and DVD.

IMO, some vinyl reproductions can sound subjectively better than the
original acoustic performance in cases of lousy original acoustics,
instruments, etc. Crudely. The future does not lie in crude
approximations though, sorry.

It ISN'T accurate in terms of signal processing. Period.

Nousaine

"Harry Lavo" wrote:

.....many snips to content .....

"Nousaine" wrote

I would disagree; CD trounced Lp in sound quality from the beginning.

Again, you are welcome to your opinion. It is certainly not universally
shared among audiophiles.

Nor is yours; I don't see the point.

The point is, like Chung, you keep trying to change the issue from *how it
sounds* to other criteria such as "specs" and "convenience". I am talking
"sound". That is the final arbiter.

I said nothing about specifications or measured performance and yet you keep
twisting the argument around as though I did. IMO Cd trounced Lp in sound
quality from the beginning.

But you want to disqualify that opinion, and others like it, by disparaging
musical preference and playbakc equipment with comments such as 'if you don't
like jazz how can you comment on the sound quality of jazz cymbal' and 'if you
think SACD sounds better than Lp there must be something wrong with your
playback equipment.'

When someone suggests that there are objective technical reasons that my
opinion about sound quality may be valid you then accuse me of rejecting
'sound' in favor of 'specs' when I've already stated my opinion was based on
sound quality from the start.

.......defense of vinyl ritual as a preference mechanism ......

Well you are wrong, as even a short time on the vinyl forum would prove.
I've heard maybe two people in five years have anything positive to say
about the maintenance vinyl requires. People like it *despite* the hard
work. Some do get pleasure from larger jackets, as I sometimes do. But
that is *not* a reason for the preference.

Prior to Cd the Lp "ritual" was definitely a part of the love-price I gladly
payed to get better performance compared to the more convenient media (open
reel, cassette, FM) of the day. It was only after Cd freed me from the ritual
that it seemed like a trial to me, especially since I could play a single cut
on an album over and over and play my favorite cuts in the order I wanted
without having to stop the music ALL WITH better sound.

Then you've not spoken with John Eargle or James Gibeau have you?

No but I read a lot of audio press and for many years belonged to the AES
and do not recall anybody, including Eargle, making this statement.

I've heard John make that statement in conversation with my own ears.

Okay, an antecdote. That's fine. Why do *you* believe he never published
it anywhere, given that he has been interviewed extensively and written
several scholarly articles?

How do you know he hasn't?

Just my opinion, of course. But the most musically inclined enthusiasts

know
are jazz fans and they tend to be primarily involved with the "music"

and
it's
presentation in a fashion like you'd hear it in a club....with people
talking
and with their backs to the performance while drinking lots of

alcoholic
beverage.

Well, if you don't like jazz then you are probably not the person to make
critical judgements about what sounds right or wrong in the reproduction

of
jazz cymbals, are you?

I cannot claim to be expert in evaluating the music as performed but I surely
am completely quaified to judge the sound as the next guy audiophile or not.

The last time I remember I have yet to find a percussionist who shopped

for
'jazz' cymbals. Just like I haven't been able to find a "country" violin

or a
classical fiddle.

I was talking about performance style, as I suspect you know.

I think you were confusing the program with sound quality. This is a common
problem; one to which we are all prone. This is one reason I like to use
content-free programming such as noise for evaluation (as opposed to enjoyment)
because it forces focus on sound alone.

Jazz drummers
have generally a much more versatile and subtle array of cymbal playing
styles than do rock drummers...and cymbals as we are discussing have little
place in classical music. I'm talking the "shhhh" of cymbal brushwork. I'm
talking the absolutely lovely decay of a lightly hit cymbal....the fading
sound that cd just doesn't get right and analog and sacd and dvd-a do.

One can find this level of detail in non-jazz programs and even in non-musical
recording of cymbal. I'm thinking that the attempt to disqualify my opinion
because jazz is not a "preferred" format for my personal musical enjoyment is
simply a red-herring.

While we are on the subject of liking jazz or not, in your last post you
said (and I paraphrase) true jazz fans drink, talk, and sit with their backs
to the music in a club. I didn't respond but its been bothering me. I
spend a fair amount of time in jazz clubs in Boston, Northampton, and New
York City. True jazz fans generally listen closely and play close
attention to the playing, usually turning their chairs. Casual audience are
generally the ones behaving badly and making the noise, in my experience.
Perhaps we move in different jazz circles.

My circle is a group of jazz-die-hards, mostly older than myself, who hold
monthly jazz-club meetings, sometimes have musicians perform in their homes,
attend local events at clubs like "Baker's Keyboard Lounge", "The Firefly",
"The Bird of Paradise" in Detroit and Ann Arbor, attend midwestern and eastern
jazz festivals and often record live events.

I've observed their behavior at events and during club meetings. Conversation
during performance/playback is common. Backs to the performance or recordings
is typical.

I'll finish by restating my last point;

[...]

Stewart Pinkerton

On 13 Mar 2004 19:27:53 GMT, "Harry Lavo" wrote:

Simply because the problems with digital were much more noxious soundings
than any of the analog problems, other than inner-groove tracing distorion.

Your personal opinion is noted.

And BTW, I can show you many cartridges with near-perfect 1000k square wave
response..and many even with damn fine 10k response.

No you can't, that is absolute nonsense. There is no vinyl on earth
which has anything close to a 10kHz square wave cut onto it, hence
it's simply *impossible* for your statement to be true.

So all your postulates
above apply only to inferior equipment, to the degree that they become
obnoxiously audible. Why can't you understand that the "ear" and the
"brain" are the ultimate things that must be satisfied, not a technical
theory.

Yup, and those would be the same ears and brain which listen to the
live performance, so technical accuracy *is* important for high
fidelity reproduction of that live performance.

Compare that to your digital signal.

It's a near-perfect analogue of the original microphone signal. What's
your point?

A standard that in most practical implementations cannot reproduce music
correctly even in the subjective sense is a flawed standard.

Great. By that definition, the LP is a severely flawed standard, based
on the magnitudes of the errors. That didn't seem to stop you from
saying it's "ahead of SACD/DVD-A".

In sound, Chung, in sound. As I and others have pointed out to you here at
least three times in this very thread...but which you like to ignore and
instead focus on specsmanship.

Um, aren't you the one who is equating your preference for SACD with
its superior bit depth? Pot, kettle, black........

One of the clearly audible advantages of SACD and DVD-A heard through decent
equipment on a good, hi-rez system is much more apparent depth and
dimensionality to instruments and the human voice.

It's the usual party line: if you can't hear the differences, your
system must not be decent enough.

By the way, how do you explain why vinyl, with its much lower effective
number of bits, had so much "depth" and "dimenion"?

This has been discussed ad infinitum on this and other forums, and I am
simply not going to open that bag of worms here.

Of course you're not Harry, because you don't have a leg to stand on.
You may *prefer* SACD all you like, but to say that it is closer to
vinyl than it is to CD, is unsupportable by reality.

chung

S888Wheel wrote:

Exactly, and I think that your brain tells you that vinyl sounds better,
because you are used to it. It has nothing to do with accuracy; you just
prefer vinyl. Try not to make shaky technical arguments to justify your
preference.

This is a common assertion that IMO has no support.

Is any of Mr. Lavo's arguments (vinyl has more depth, CD been
unlistenable in the first decade, the higher order of the "filtrating"
is why CD's cause fatigue, etc.) technically accurate?

"Vinyl has more depth and CD been unlistenable in the first decade" are not
technical claims. They are subjective claims so one cannot comment on their
technical accuracy.

In case you have not noticed, Mr. Lavo was staing that as an absolute
fact. And it is a technical fact that vinyl does not have more depth in
terms of signal to noise ration. He in fact used the term bit-depth.

My first CD player was one of those 14 bit Yamaha jobs you
mentioned earlier. It was a bit better than my Yamaha rack system turntable
with the original P mount cartridge. I liked it at the time. It was hardly
unlistenable by my standards at that time.

I think Me, Lavo is the only person I know who claimed that the CD was
unlistenable from 1983 through 1993. Those are the claims that we take
issues with.

When i got a 75 dollar Ortofon P
mount cartridge it was a bit better than the CD player.

Of course, you know that there are many anecdotes there are exactly
opposite yours. Like "My $300 CD player totally trounced by $3,000 vinyl
rig"?

Then I got a new 16 bit
CD player. It was better than the Yamaha rack system turntable with the new
Ortofon cartridge. Then I got a SOTA Star turntable with an Alphason HR 100 arm
and a Koetsu Black goldline cartridge. That pretty much killed the CD player.
Of course back then I wasn't really thinking about the mastering process. But
the hardware was making a difference every time with the same CDs and LP
counterparts. I found CDs to be generally fatiguing in comparison to my
SOTA/Alphason/Koetsu combo. I cannot say that Mr. Lavo's comments on filtering
are a technically accurate explination.

They were simply without technical merits, that's what we're saying.

I can say personally my
preference has nothing to do with familiarity. and as for accuracy? Who

knows
which is more accurate for any given recording?

Yes, who cares what anyone prefers.

I do. I care about what I prefer.

But no one else really cares that much about it, and that's my point.

But if we compare which delivery
format is better, accuracy has to be a major factor.

Better meaning what? To me better means preferable in the context it will be
used. So far I have found LPs to be better than CDs in most cases.

As a delievry format, better meaning able to preserve the input signal.
In other words, higher fidelity to the input signal. At this point, I
would like to reiterate what Siegfried Linkwitz said that is really the
foundation of high fidelity:

"Minimal alteration of the original should be the goal of sound
reproduction since anything else is a falsification. For many pieces of
recorded material it may not matter, because the performance is so
highly processed and the listener shares no common sonic reference.
Also, a listener may be so used to amplified music that the
characteristic sound of certain types of loudspeakers becomes the
reference. However, ultimately only a system with minimal distortion
can hope to achieve the reproduction of an original and, in particular,
of a familiar live sonic event such as a choral performance, a solo male
voice, or a car driving by. My motto is: True to the Original".

Seen in this light, LP is the inferior format, compared to the newer
digital ones.

snip

I think it is for sonic reasons. I am not trying to offer a technical
explination for those sonic reasons but the sonic reasons do exist. On
audiophile recordings produced by audiophile labels that offer some of the best
sounding releases on both formats I have prefered the LPs to the CDs every
time. I don't think *that* has anything to do with the mastering. I think it is
the medium.

Of course, you know that many of us have the opposite view, so what you
said is simply another statement of the vinylphile's position.

DO you think that you can record the output of a SACD/CD/DVD-A player
and produce an LP that sounds the same? What does that tell you which
medium is the better one for reproduction of the original?

S888Wheel

Oh, did I tell you that to my ears, well-recorded CD's sound so much
better than well-recorded vinyl? And all of my friends agree, too!

On what turntable/arm/ cartridge system? It does make a difference.

chung

Harry Lavo wrote:
"S888Wheel" wrote in message
[...]

I think you clearly misunderstood something. It is a given that you and
other vinylphiles believe that LP's aound better than SACD/DVCD-A/CD.
That's not the point of the debate. Although it should be just as
obvious to you that there are many people who believe that CD's sound
better. So to argue which format sounds better to a given listener is a
rather meaningless task. So many other variables go into the subjective
perception: bias, mastering, etc., and we already said that you can't
really argue preferences.

The point that I have been challenging you on is your insistence that
the CD is an inferior format based on half truths and opinions elevated
to facts. You were the one who kept bringing up half specs (high orders
of filtration, etc.). And none of those you were able to defend.

snip

All I can say to my objectivist friends here is: be a little more humble.
Science is wonderful; very few people here are anti-science. What we
subjectivists react badly to is scientific knowledge raised to the level of
dogma in an attempt to disown that fact that the end result of all this
science and engineering can only be judged subjectively, by a wonderful
mechanism called the brain, that has yet to yield up all it's mysteries.
Until it has, be open to the possibility of surprises, of phenomena that
seem not to fit standard theory, or previous knowledge. There may be
existing explanations, but there may also be the opportunity for new
knowledge.

I hope you realize that most of the "objectivists" in this newsgroup are
very familiar with the LP technology. We understand its limitations, and
any technical comparisions of LP vs the newer digital formats always
result in the LP losing by huge margins. So to defend vinyl, by citing
the errors of the CD, is really grasping at straws.

What the subjectivists like yourself should try to understand is that
there are many reasons that vinyl may sound better to you, a lot of
those may not be explained by technical measurements. So don't try to
defend it on technical merits by degrading the digital formats. Instead,
come to the realization that the formats can coexist, that there still
are *some* recordings in LP that could sound better, to both sides, than
the digital counterparts. But as a delivery format, one that has to be
able to preserve fidelity, the LP is decades behind. Also, please do not
make the mistake that anyone who does not agree that LP sounds better
simply have poor equipment. The vinyl technology has inherent errors
that are an order of magnitude or more bigger than digital, even if you
assume perfect playback equipment.

To bring this back to the immediate topic:

a) My guess is that many vinyl preferrers take no issue with the fact that
phase effects and second harmonics may help explain why vinyl often seems to
have more presence. And my further guess is that most view this as an
enhancement, not a deficiency.

Well, you have not asnwered this. The fact that SACD/DVD-A/CD can
capture the output of a phono preamp extremely accurately should tell
you which one is the better medium, no?

In other words, if it's those errors that vinylphiles like, then we
could intentionally put those back into SACD/DVD-A/CD. Of course, that
would be a stupid thing to do, IMO. There are also things about the LP
that are dear to the hearts of vinylphiles (the ritual of playing the
LP, or the exclusivity of owning expensive vinyl rigs, for instance)
that cannot be reproduced by digital formats.

By the way, I have listened to many, many vinyl set-ups, and almost
every one of them sounds noticeably different. And you and Mr. Wheel are
saying the same thing. What does it tell you about that technology? How
do you know that your system does not sound really bad to Mr. Wheel's
ears? And of course you know that at least one of the two systems is
inaccurate.

b) My guess also is that virtually all vinyl preferrers will reject the
theory that vinyl is less transparent than 16 bit cd reproduction. It
simply does not square with the subjective experience.

That's like saying that all those who go to church believe there is a
god .

It
simply does not square with the subjective experience.

Our subjective experience is that the CD's sound much better, with very
few exceptions. How does that square with your theory?

S888Wheel

From: chung
Date: 3/14/2004 3:33 PM Pacific Standard Time

S888Wheel wrote:

Exactly, and I think that your brain tells you that vinyl sounds better,
because you are used to it. It has nothing to do with accuracy; you just
prefer vinyl. Try not to make shaky technical arguments to justify your
preference.

This is a common assertion that IMO has no support.

Is any of Mr. Lavo's arguments (vinyl has more depth, CD been
unlistenable in the first decade, the higher order of the "filtrating"
is why CD's cause fatigue, etc.) technically accurate?

"Vinyl has more depth and CD been unlistenable in the first decade" are not
technical claims. They are subjective claims so one cannot comment on their
technical accuracy.

In case you have not noticed, Mr. Lavo was staing that as an absolute
fact.

No I didn't notice. Looked like a personal opinion to me. I realize that
semantics often get in the way when people are stating strong opinions.

And it is a technical fact that vinyl does not have more depth in
terms of signal to noise ration. He in fact used the term bit-depth.

Looked to me like he was talking about audible depth. that would be subjective.
There is no bit depth for vinyl since there are no bits. So if that was his
claim I would agree that it is technically ridiculous.

My first CD player was one of those 14 bit Yamaha jobs you
mentioned earlier. It was a bit better than my Yamaha rack system turntable
with the original P mount cartridge. I liked it at the time. It was hardly
unlistenable by my standards at that time.

I think Me, Lavo is the only person I know who claimed that the CD was
unlistenable from 1983 through 1993. Those are the claims that we take
issues with.

I know several. but when it gets down to it it is nothing more than their
poetic way of expressing their displeasure with the results they were getting
from CD playback.

When i got a 75 dollar Ortofon P
mount cartridge it was a bit better than the CD player.

Of course, you know that there are many anecdotes there are exactly
opposite yours. Like "My $300 CD player totally trounced by $3,000 vinyl
rig"?

I'm not sure there are quite so many if we are looking at such claims
proportionally. I have a suggestion. Register at the Steve Hoffman forum then
start a poll (they have special threads for polls) ask how many people who own
or have listened to turntable rigs that are priced at 3,000 or higher if they
think those rigs sonically outperform CD playback at the 300 dollar level. The
forum membership is pretty well divided between CD enthusiasts and vinyl
enthusiasts. In fact you will see more threads about quality CDs than you will
about vinyl. The results might be interesting.

Then I got a new 16 bit
CD player. It was better than the Yamaha rack system turntable with the new
Ortofon cartridge. Then I got a SOTA Star turntable with an Alphason HR 100

arm
and a Koetsu Black goldline cartridge. That pretty much killed the CD

player.
Of course back then I wasn't really thinking about the mastering process.

But
the hardware was making a difference every time with the same CDs and LP
counterparts. I found CDs to be generally fatiguing in comparison to my
SOTA/Alphason/Koetsu combo. I cannot say that Mr. Lavo's comments on

filtering
are a technically accurate explination.

They were simply without technical merits, that's what we're saying.

Fine. Subjective opinions do not need to be suplimented by accurate technical
explinations to be valid.

I can say personally my
preference has nothing to do with familiarity. and as for accuracy? Who
knows
which is more accurate for any given recording?

Yes, who cares what anyone prefers.

I do. I care about what I prefer.

But no one else really cares that much about it, and that's my point.

Doesn't seem like much of a point. Also not terribly valid. I am often asked
for my opinion on such things because some people out there respect that
opinion.

But if we compare which delivery
format is better, accuracy has to be a major factor.

Better meaning what? To me better means preferable in the context it will

be
used. So far I have found LPs to be better than CDs in most cases.

As a delievry format, better meaning able to preserve the input signal.
In other words, higher fidelity to the input signal. At this point, I
would like to reiterate what Siegfried Linkwitz said that is really the
foundation of high fidelity:

Some say it is some say it isn't. In the end it isn't an issue to me. The sum
of the parts is the issue to me. If in the sum of the parts of recording and
playback add up to an impression of greater realism with vinyl then vinyl is
better in my opinion. Audio is a "team sport."

"Minimal alteration of the original should be the goal of sound
reproduction since anything else is a falsification.

That simply isn't always true. If it were then EQ would always be bad. It isn't
always bad.

For many pieces of
recorded material it may not matter, because the performance is so
highly processed and the listener shares no common sonic reference.
Also, a listener may be so used to amplified music that the
characteristic sound of certain types of loudspeakers becomes the
reference.

Yes and we agree that isn't what we are concerned about as audiophiles.

However, ultimately only a system with minimal distortion
can hope to achieve the reproduction of an original and, in particular,
of a familiar live sonic event such as a choral performance, a solo male
voice, or a car driving by. My motto is: True to the Original".

Nothing is true to the original so my motto is pick your poison. If one
coloration compensates for another then it is an improvement than the one
coloration. Again, recording and playback is a "team sport."

Seen in this light, LP is the inferior format, compared to the newer
digital ones.

Perhaps. That doesn't seem to have much meaning in practice IME.

snip

I think it is for sonic reasons. I am not trying to offer a technical
explination for those sonic reasons but the sonic reasons do exist. On
audiophile recordings produced by audiophile labels that offer some of the

best
sounding releases on both formats I have prefered the LPs to the CDs every
time. I don't think *that* has anything to do with the mastering. I think

it is
the medium.

Of course, you know that many of us have the opposite view, so what you
said is simply another statement of the vinylphile's position.

I realize that there are differences in preference. So far Lps seem to win in
most heads up comparisons that i have seen or read about. It doesn't matter
though. If it were the other way around it wouldn't affect my preferences.

DO you think that you can record the output of a SACD/CD/DVD-A player
and produce an LP that sounds the same?

I don't think *I* could but I know of one mastering engineer who claims he
could. It might be interesting to test his claims under blind conditions no?

What does that tell you which
medium is the better one for reproduction of the original?

Not much.

chung

S888Wheel wrote:

Of course, you know that there are many anecdotes there are exactly
opposite yours. Like "My $300 CD player totally trounced by $3,000 vinyl
rig"?

I'm not sure there are quite so many if we are looking at such claims
proportionally. I have a suggestion. Register at the Steve Hoffman forum then
start a poll (they have special threads for polls) ask how many people who own
or have listened to turntable rigs that are priced at 3,000 or higher if they
think those rigs sonically outperform CD playback at the 300 dollar level. The
forum membership is pretty well divided between CD enthusiasts and vinyl
enthusiasts. In fact you will see more threads about quality CDs than you will
about vinyl. The results might be interesting.

That would be like what I said befo Ask a group of churchgoers
whether they believe there is a god. Or ask in the Audio Asylum Cable
forum whether there is such a phenomenon as cable break-in.

The real world is NOT "pretty well divided" between CD enthusiasts and
vinyl enthusiasts; I hate to break that news to you.

[...]

Not if they are stated as opinions with no technical explanations given.
Mr. Lavo was, however, trying to degrade CD using technical arguments.
Anytime a technical argument is brought up, it can be judged as accurate
or not accurate.

For example, if someone say vinyl beats CD because vinyl has infinite
resolution, then that is a challengeable claim. And that opinion is
wrong. If they say that they like the vinyl sound more, then that is an
opinion without a technical claim, and no one argues with that.

I can say personally my
preference has nothing to do with familiarity. and as for accuracy? Who
knows
which is more accurate for any given recording?

Yes, who cares what anyone prefers.

I do. I care about what I prefer.

But no one else really cares that much about it, and that's my point.

Doesn't seem like much of a point. Also not terribly valid. I am often asked
for my opinion on such things because some people out there respect that
opinion.

Well, your point (that my point does not seem much of a point) is not
much of a point to me .

But if we compare which delivery
format is better, accuracy has to be a major factor.

Better meaning what? To me better means preferable in the context it will

be
used. So far I have found LPs to be better than CDs in most cases.

As a delievry format, better meaning able to preserve the input signal.
In other words, higher fidelity to the input signal. At this point, I
would like to reiterate what Siegfried Linkwitz said that is really the
foundation of high fidelity:

Some say it is some say it isn't. In the end it isn't an issue to me. The sum
of the parts is the issue to me. If in the sum of the parts of recording and
playback add up to an impression of greater realism with vinyl then vinyl is
better in my opinion. Audio is a "team sport."

You are welcome to your opinion that vinyl is better for you. As a
delivery medium, accuracy is important, but clearly you don't value
accuracy to the original signal. Given that, there is really no point in
pursuing this subject with you, since there really is no common basis
for a discussion.

snip

What does that tell you which
medium is the better one for reproduction of the original?

Not much.

In that case, high fidelity means something different for you. Good luck!

S888Wheel

From: chung
Date: 3/15/2004 10:50 AM Pacific Standard Time

S888Wheel wrote:

[...]

Did you not get the part where i specifically told you that the LP enthusiasts
are at least equaled in number if not out numbered by CD enthusiasts?You are
simply making a false presumption about the members of that forum. Too bad.

The real world is NOT "pretty well divided" between CD enthusiasts and
vinyl enthusiasts; I hate to break that news to you.

The real world? The real world as I suspect you are defining it seems to have
embraced Bose as the state of the art in speakers. Sorry, I'm not interested in
what casual uninformed people believe. Ignorance is bliss. Most consumers of
electronics are blissfully ignorant of the existance of highend turntables all
together. I was suggesting a poll amoung people who actually have at least some
experience with highend turntables. Why would you favor an uninformed poll of
opinions over an informed poll? I bet you wouldn't feel the same way if
astrology were the topic.

[...]

Well, we agree on some things.

Mr. Lavo was, however, trying to degrade CD using technical arguments.

I suspect that was a mistake on his part. It doesn't make his subjective
impressions any less valid though.

Anytime a technical argument is brought up, it can be judged as accurate
or not accurate.

Certainly. I would suggest not seeking confirmation one way or another from me
though.

For example, if someone say vinyl beats CD because vinyl has infinite
resolution, then that is a challengeable claim. And that opinion is
wrong. If they say that they like the vinyl sound more, then that is an
opinion without a technical claim, and no one argues with that.

OK. No problem. the technical claim can and should be challenged. The
subjective impression is still valid however.

I can say personally my
preference has nothing to do with familiarity. and as for accuracy? Who
knows
which is more accurate for any given recording?

Yes, who cares what anyone prefers.

I do. I care about what I prefer.

But no one else really cares that much about it, and that's my point.

Doesn't seem like much of a point. Also not terribly valid. I am often

asked
for my opinion on such things because some people out there respect that
opinion.

Well, your point (that my point does not seem much of a point) is not
much of a point to me .

Then perhaps we can drop that particular line of this thread.

[...]

I am afraid you have misunderstood the philosophy of my approach to audio. I do
very much value accuracy to the original signal if we are talking about the
original acoustic event. Once that signal hits the mics all that matters is
that the final playback be as close as possible to the original "signal." But
in fact it won't be all that close. So one must pick thier colorations overall.
*If* a coloration from one component compensates for the coloration of another
component in the entire chain in so much that it sounds more like the original
acoustic "signal" then I feel those colorations in tandum are better than the
one coloration alone. This doesn't even touch on the issue that some
colorations may be larger in magnitude than others and yet less offensive
perceptually.

Given that, there is really no point in
pursuing this subject with you, since there really is no common basis
for a discussion.

It is unfortunate that you would choose to end the discussion based on your
misrepresentation of my beliefs. Do what you want though.

S888Wheel

From: Steven Sullivan
Date: 3/15/2004 3:44 PM Pacific Standard Time

From: chung

The real world? The real world as I suspect you are defining it seems to

have
embraced Bose as the state of the art in speakers. Sorry, I'm not

interested in
what casual uninformed people believe. Ignorance is bliss.

There's a real world that's distinct from the Bose-buying populace AND
audiophile culture. It's the world that's the focus of science. Many
'audiophiles' who imagine themselves 'informed', are blissfully ignorant of
that world: the science behind objective measurements and perceptual
testing, things that bear directly on evaluation of the *sound* of things,
The audio press for the most part helps keep them in that blissful state,
by simply ignoring the science while piling on dubious 'information' about
audio components month after month.

I think it has been well established that the scientific community has not
taken much interest at all in audio.

The belief systems of dubiously-informed audiophiles are mainly relevant as
'information' to other dubiously-informed people. To me they're
sociological phenomena; I don't go to such 'audiophiles' for information on
how things might really sound.

That is your choice. But if that keeps you from trying out highend turntables
you may very well be letting your prejudices get the better of your listening
pleasure.

Bob Marcus

S888Wheel wrote:

I am afraid you have misunderstood the philosophy of my
approach to audio. I do very much value accuracy to the
original signal if we are talking about the original acoustic
event. Once that signal hits the mics all that matters is
that the final playback be as close as possible to the
original "signal."

I think you're using the word "signal" in a confusing way. You seem to mean
the original sound that is reaching the mics. But when the
technically-minded refer to good consumer audio being true to the "original
signal," they mean the master tape.

But in fact it won't be all that close.

For digital, that depends fundamentally on two things: the mics, and the
mastering. Everything else can be well-nigh transparent, up to the speaker
terminals.

So
one must pick thier colorations overall.

But the only hardware that's adding any serious coloration is the mic (which
the consumer has no control over). Now you might argue that the goal of
audiophiles is to overcome *that* coloration, but given that every recording
uses a different mic, that's a fruitless task. What this suggests is that
compensating coloration should be consumer-variable. (IOW, an equalizer.)

*If* a coloration
from one component compensates for the coloration of
another component in the entire chain in so much that it
sounds more like the original acoustic "signal" then I feel
those colorations in tandum are better than the one
coloration alone.

First, in most cases the consumer has no idea what the "original acoustic
signal" sounded like. Second, any changes to that "signal" are going to vary
widely from recording to recording, so attempts to use non-adjustable
audiophile hardware to "compensate" for them are futile.

This doesn't even touch on the issue that
some colorations may be larger in magnitude than others
and yet less offensive perceptually.

My own philosophy is that the audiophile is not really chasing after "the
original signal." He is chasing after "the illusion of live sound." The
peculiar sonic charactertistics of vinyl, whatever its technical weaknesses,
contribute to that illusion for many audiophiles. And there's nothing wrong
with that--as long as, like Chung says, they don't use that to concoct some
technically off-the-wall theory to justify what is a simple, unassailable
preference.

bob

Find things fast with the new MSN Toolbar – includes FREE pop-up blocking!

chung

From: chung
Date: 3/15/2004 10:50 AM Pacific Standard Time

S888Wheel wrote:

[...]

No, you just did not carefully read what I wrote. A large % of the
people who frequent a forum such as Hoffman are vinylphiles. That
percentage may be 50, like you seem to say by "well-divided", but that
is nowhere near the % of vinylphiles in the real world, by any measure.
A survey in that forum would have a bias that does not reflect the real
world view. No matter how much you value a forum like that one.

Now back to the issue of a $300 beating a $3000 vinyl rig convincingly.
Simply listen to solo piano recordings. For instance, Lang Lang's Rach3
on which he also played the Scriabin Etudes. Listen to the stability of
the piano as the sound decays into silence in those etudes. Compare that
to the ever-present wow-and-flutter on vinyl.

Or listen to how quiet the background is. Or how clean the trebles sound
in well-mastered CD's. Or how low the bass goes (and maintaining
separation). Your $3K vinyl simply is incapable of reproducing high
signal-to-noise ratios or the steady tone of pianos, like a $300 could.
These are subjective tests, and the measurements back those up.

The real world is NOT "pretty well divided" between CD enthusiasts and
vinyl enthusiasts; I hate to break that news to you.

The real world? The real world as I suspect you are defining it seems to have
embraced Bose as the state of the art in speakers. Sorry, I'm not interested in
what casual uninformed people believe. Ignorance is bliss.

I am happy that you are happy .

Most consumers of
electronics are blissfully ignorant of the existance of highend turntables all
together. I was suggesting a poll amoung people who actually have at least some
experience with highend turntables. Why would you favor an uninformed poll of
opinions over an informed poll? I bet you wouldn't feel the same way if
astrology were the topic.

Those knowledgeable know that the CD/SACD/DVD-A can reproduce music with
an accuracy that the vinyl, due to its inherent short-comings, cannot.
Those who love vinyl love certain LP recordings, or the euphonic
properties of vinyl. The digital formats can reproduce the outputs of a
phono-preamp accurately, and therefore it is the better delivery medium.
In other words, if we like, we can put in all those euphonic sound
qualities of vinyl on digital medium. It's that simple.

[...]

We never said Mr. Lavo was wrong to love vinyl!

[...]

Please re-read what Siegfried Linkwitz said. He already addressed your
issues.

Given that, there is really no point in
pursuing this subject with you, since there really is no common basis
for a discussion.

It is unfortunate that you would choose to end the discussion based on your
misrepresentation of my beliefs. Do what you want though.

It's simply a waste of bandwidth.
chung

Mkuller wrote:

chung wrote:
You are welcome to your opinion that vinyl is better for you. As a
delivery medium, accuracy is important, but clearly you don't value
accuracy to the original signal.

Whew, you finally got it. Most audiophiles don't care about "accuracy to the
original signal" as much as you and the other engineers do.

I agree that you and certain subjectivists do not care about "accuracy
to the original signal". However, in deciding which delivery format is
superior, accuracy has to be a major factor. And I don't think my view
is only shared by other engineers.

When someone designs an amp, a speaker, an RIAA network, or a CD player,
the most important measurements are tied to accuracy, i.e. how
accurately does the output deviate from ideal. Anytime a designer
decides to intentionally introduce inaccuracy, you have a product that
cannot be called a high-fidelity product. Accuracy is really the basis
of audio design.

Audiophiles care
if it sounds more like real live music - that is the 'accuracy' we are looking
for.

That kind of accuracy is not definable, since each one of us has a
different idea of what real live music sounds like. What sounds accurate
to you may very well sound terribly inaccurate to me. Most of us have
never been to a recording studio and listen to the live feed, so I don't
see how you could have any memory of what the recording should sound
like, in order to establish a reference.

And if it doesn't 'sound' more like live music, who cares how well it
measures. That's nearly meaningless to me as an audiophile.

Accuracy by definition means true to the original. Keep that in mind. If
the original signal that the mastering engineer decides to put down on
the medium is indeed "like live music", that an accurate system will
reproduce that sound.

Given that, there is really no point in
pursuing this subject with you, since there really is no common basis
for a discussion.

Thank you for finally recognizing this.

Yeah, there is really no accounting for taste.

Regards,
Mike

S888Wheel

From: "Bob Marcus"
Date: 3/15/2004 6:51 PM Pacific Standard Time

S888Wheel wrote:

I am afraid you have misunderstood the philosophy of my
approach to audio. I do very much value accuracy to the
original signal if we are talking about the original acoustic
event. Once that signal hits the mics all that matters is
that the final playback be as close as possible to the
original "signal."

I think you're using the word "signal" in a confusing way.

I am using it in a different way to make a point. that is why I used quotation
marks. I did explain exactly what i was refering to though so it shouldn't be
confusing. Mr. Chung seems to be concerned about the integrity of the signal
from one component to the next. He seems to think that is the best way to
preserve the "signal" from start to finish. I believe in practice the final
playback is all that matters and what ever gets you closer to the most
important parts of the "signal" perceptually is what is best.

You seem to mean
the original sound that is reaching the mics.

Yeah. that was what i meant by the "signal." I did that on purpose just to make
a point. I am not concerned with the signal. I am concerned with the "signal."
I thought it would help make my point.

But when the
technically-minded refer to good consumer audio being true to the "original
signal," they mean the master tape.

That depends on the person. Some are trying to get as close as possible to the
sound of the original acoustic event.

But in fact it won't be all that close.

For digital, that depends fundamentally on two things: the mics, and the
mastering. Everything else can be well-nigh transparent, up to the speaker
terminals.

I was speaking of the entire recording and playback chain. Sorry for not being
clear about that.

So
one must pick thier colorations overall.

But the only hardware that's adding any serious coloration is the mic (which
the consumer has no control over). Now you might argue that the goal of
audiophiles is to overcome *that* coloration, but given that every recording
uses a different mic, that's a fruitless task. What this suggests is that
compensating coloration should be consumer-variable. (IOW, an equalizer.)

I think we might agree that the speakers should be included as well. You may
find the task fruitless. I do not. Especially in light of the mastering link.
IME vinyl has gotten me closer to the beauty of live music in playing back the
vast majority of the recordings I love than has CDs. That is hardly fruitless.

*If* a coloration
from one component compensates for the coloration of
another component in the entire chain in so much that it
sounds more like the original acoustic "signal" then I feel
those colorations in tandum are better than the one
coloration alone.

First, in most cases the consumer has no idea what the "original acoustic
signal" sounded like.

I agree. One can only base it on their experience with live music in most
cases.

Second, any changes to that "signal" are going to vary
widely from recording to recording, so attempts to use non-adjustable
audiophile hardware to "compensate" for them are futile.

if that is what LPs are doing then I have to disagree.

This doesn't even touch on the issue that
some colorations may be larger in magnitude than others
and yet less offensive perceptually.

My own philosophy is that the audiophile is not really chasing after "the
original signal." He is chasing after "the illusion of live sound.

Same thing as I was using "original signal." So we agree on this so far.

The
peculiar sonic charactertistics of vinyl, whatever its technical weaknesses,
contribute to that illusion for many audiophiles. And there's nothing wrong
with that--as long as, like Chung says, they don't use that to concoct some
technically off-the-wall theory to justify what is a simple, unassailable
preference.

I think I have already agreed with this.
Stewart Pinkerton

From: Stewart Pinkerton

Date: 3/15/2004 9:33 AM Pacific Standard Time

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:35:57 GMT,
(S888Wheel) wrote:

Oh, did I tell you that to my ears, well-recorded CD's sound so much
better than well-recorded vinyl? And all of my friends agree, too!

On what turntable/arm/ cartridge system? It does make a difference.

A *very* tired old argument,

No it is a valid issue. If one is making comparisons on poor LP playback
equipment one is not making a valid comparison of the two media.

It is *not* a valid issue when the poster states that anyone who
prefers CD *must* not have heard a decent vinyl rig. It's simply a
strawman used by vinylphiles who have no other argument to offer.

and refuted by those regulars who *do*
maintain decent quality vinyl rigs,
for those performances that simply
aren't available on CD.

Refuted? No! Disagreed with yes.

No, refuted. The standard strawman is that those who prefer CD *must*
not have heard a high quality vinyl rig. This is *refuted* by those of
us who have good facilities for both media. As it happens, I've also
listened to the Rockport Sirius / Clearaudio Insider rig in company
with Andy Payor, who had just set it up. It doesn't get any more 'high
end' than that!

Your preferences are not a source of any
universal refutal. By the way, you are the only regular that i know of who
actually has a true highend turntable and prefers CDs. One tesimonial is just
one testimonial.

Quite so. I have no problem with those who prefer vinyl, I just wish
they wouldn't keep trotting out this tired old strawman which simply
reeks of high-end snobbery and has no basis in truth. I have no
problem with those who prefer Zenith El Primero mechanical watches,
but at least they don't try to pretend that the Zenith is a better
timekeeper than a $5 Casio. I've never heard anyone say "if you've
never owned a Breguet Tourbillon, then you just aren't qualified to
comment".

I would also suggest you look into getting a tonearm worthy of
your table. Just a suggestion.

See above. I know what improvement van be made by using the very best
equipment - and it won't make up for having to play the same vinyl!

The limitation is in the *medium*, not in the
playback gear.

If the playback gear is SOTA. Otherwise one is listening to the shortcommings
of the rig that are not inherent in the medium. Hence an unfair demonstration
of the medium.

A Rega Planar 2 is more than adequate to demonstrate the limitations
of the medium. Everything else is simply tuning up the VW Golf of
vinyl in an attempt to match the Porsche 911 of CD.

S888Wheel

From: chung
Date: 3/15/2004 10:50 AM Pacific Standard Time

S888Wheel wrote:

[...]

I read it carefully enough. You said the same thing you are saying here. You
are dismissing the group because of your presumptions about the forum
membership bias. their bias is an interest in better sound for the sake of
music. i think they are a much better informed group than the public at large.
Again, I don't think you would favor the opinion of the public at large if the
topic were astology. You call upon the masses when you think they agree with
you. i make no presumption about the forum members at Steve Hoffman's website.
The *majority* of them are CD enthusiasts.

Now back to the issue of a $300 beating a $3000 vinyl rig convincingly.
Simply listen to solo piano recordings.

I have done so quite extensively.

For instance, Lang Lang's Rach3
on which he also played the Scriabin Etudes. Listen to the stability of
the piano as the sound decays into silence in those etudes. Compare that
to the ever-present wow-and-flutter on vinyl.

I have. the wow and flutter on my system are inaudible if the record is up to
snuff. I have yet to hear a CD capture the complexity of that same decay as
does the LP and excellent recordings. Score 1 for the LP in that regard. If you
are having trouble with wow and flutter I would suggest you get a better
turntable/arm/cartridge combination and a record that isn't defective or
damaged for a real demonstration of what the medium is truly capable of.

Or listen to how quiet the background is.

Too quite. Lack of room ambience is another common problem amoung CDs. LP 2 CD
0.

Or how clean the trebles sound
in well-mastered CD's.

Clean and sterile. Listen to how sweet the treble is on a top notch LP played
back on a highend rig. Much more like the sweetness of the real thing. (this is
when someone will jump in and insist that the highs are not sweet with many
live instruments. That is true if they are crap instruments or you are sitting
too close. Not what I am talking about)

Or how low the bass goes (and maintaining
separation).

I challange you or anyone else to tell the difference between mono and stereo
bass below the threshold of stereo LP playback.

Your $3K vinyl simply is incapable of reproducing high
signal-to-noise ratios or the steady tone of pianos, like a $300 could.

And yet I would bet most people would highly favor it in blind comparisons with
the vast majority of popular recordings that exist in both formats. There is
more to this picture than you are examining.

These are subjective tests, and the measurements back those up.

They are hypathetical subjective tests. As I said before, in most of the actual
tests of this nature that I have witnessed or read about the results favored
the LP.

The real world is NOT "pretty well divided" between CD enthusiasts and
vinyl enthusiasts; I hate to break that news to you.

The real world? The real world as I suspect you are defining it seems to

have
embraced Bose as the state of the art in speakers. Sorry, I'm not

interested in
what casual uninformed people believe. Ignorance is bliss.

I am happy that you are happy .

Nice cheap shot. I guess the moderators are now allowing pesrsonal attacks.
Sad. Is this what you normally resort to?

[...]

OK lets see you do it.

[...]

Another nice cheap shot. I guess when the argument fails personal attacks
follow. I am surprised this is getting past the moderators.

S888Wheel

From: Stewart Pinkerton
Date: 3/16/2004 10:02 AM Pacific Standard Time

On Mon, 15 Mar 2004 18:24:10 GMT,

From: Stewart Pinkerton

Date: 3/15/2004 9:33 AM Pacific Standard Time

On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 23:35:57 GMT,
(S888Wheel)
wrote:

Oh, did I tell you that to my ears, well-recorded CD's sound so
much
better than well-recorded vinyl? And all of my friends agree, too!

On what turntable/arm/ cartridge system? It does make a difference.

A *very* tired old argument,

No it is a valid issue. If one is making comparisons on poor LP
playback
equipment one is not making a valid comparison of the two media.

It is *not* a valid issue when the poster states that anyone who
prefers CD *must* not have heard a decent vinyl rig. It's simply a
strawman used by vinylphiles who have no other argument to offer.

Since I never said that it seems that it would be a be a valid point
by your
own standards.

and refuted by those regulars who *do*
maintain decent quality vinyl rigs,
for those performances that simply
aren't available on CD.

Refuted? No! Disagreed with yes.

No, refuted. The standard strawman is that those who prefer CD *must*
not have heard a high quality vinyl rig. This is *refuted* by those of
us who have good facilities for both media.

Since I made no such claim your argument is a strawman. Nothing more.
You have
stated your opinion but you have refuted nothing.

As it happens, I've also
listened to the Rockport Sirius / Clearaudio Insider rig in company
with Andy Payor, who had just set it up. It doesn't get any more 'high
end' than that!

I have heard that very same set up as well. I like mine better. but it
is very
good. So your perceptual impression is different than mine. How do you
know
yours isn't being influenced by your biases? At least i know that when
I discovered my preference for highend LP playback it was in spite of my pro
CD biases.

Your preferences are not a source of any
universal refutal. By the way, you are the only regular that i know
of who
actually has a true highend turntable and prefers CDs. One
tesimonial is

just
one testimonial.

Quite so. I have no problem with those who prefer vinyl, I just wish
they wouldn't keep trotting out this tired old strawman which simply
reeks of high-end snobbery and has no basis in truth.

Fair enough but perhaps you should pay more attention to what i have actually
said and not what you think I have said.

I have no
problem with those who prefer Zenith El Primero mechanical watches,
but at least they don't try to pretend that the Zenith is a better
timekeeper than a $5 Casio.

Now that is a strawman. Timekeeping is not an aesthetic experience. It is not
a relevant analogy.

I've never heard anyone say "if you've
never owned a Breguet Tourbillon, then you just aren't qualified to
comment".

Probably because it isn't relevant.

I would also suggest you look into getting a tonearm worthy of
your table. Just a suggestion.

See above. I know what improvement van be made by using the very best
equipment - and it won't make up for having to play the same vinyl!

The point is you can improve what you have. It was just a suggestion.

--

I disagree completely

chung

From: chung
Date: 3/15/2004 10:50 AM Pacific Standard Time

S888Wheel wrote:

[...]

Wait a minute, isn't Hoffman the guy who promoted this gadget:

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/hallograph.htm

Just based on that, I would not participate on his forum. Didn't Steven
Sullivan got banned from his forum once for voicing his scientific
opinions? Hmmm, that sounds like another audio asylum...

No, I would say that those who frequent that forum have a strong
subjectivist bend, are pro-vinyl, and I don't believe they are
reflective of the real-world audio enthusiasts at all!

i think they are a much better informed group than the public at large.

No, not true, based on the fact that Hoffman could promote that gadget
there.

Again, I don't think you would favor the opinion of the public at large if the
topic were astology. You call upon the masses when you think they agree with
you. i make no presumption about the forum members at Steve Hoffman's website.
The *majority* of them are CD enthusiasts.

If you like, go ahead and do your survey. I think the results are
biased, but you are welcome to it, and yeaj, it could be fun.

Now back to the issue of a $300 beating a $3000 vinyl rig convincingly.
Simply listen to solo piano recordings.

I have done so quite extensively.

For instance, Lang Lang's Rach3
on which he also played the Scriabin Etudes. Listen to the stability of
the piano as the sound decays into silence in those etudes. Compare that
to the ever-present wow-and-flutter on vinyl.

I have. the wow and flutter on my system are inaudible if the record is up to
snuff.

Of course, one of the problems of LP as a delivery format is that there
are so many LP's that are not up to snuff, due to the difficulty of
manufacturing perfectly centered discs, etc.

I have yet to hear a CD capture the complexity of that same decay as
does the LP and excellent recordings. Score 1 for the LP in that regard.

If you are the one keeping score, we know the final tally already .

But this is really deja au all over again. Almost exactly one year ago,
you were an active participant in this thread comparing LP vs CD:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=e...3&as_miny=1995

The thread is "Dynamic rang of LP's", and it's 350+ posts long. For the
sake of saving bandwidth, I would refer everyone to that thread.
Stewart Pinkerton

From: Stewart Pinkerton

Date: 3/16/2004 10:02 AM Pacific Standard Time

I have no
problem with those who prefer Zenith El Primero mechanical watches,
but at least they don't try to pretend that the Zenith is a better
timekeeper than a $5 Casio.

Now that is a strawman. Timekeeping is not an aesthetic experience. It is not
a relevant analogy.

Clearly, you have never met an horologist! :-)

I've never heard anyone say "if you've
never owned a Breguet Tourbillon, then you just aren't qualified to
comment".

Probably because it isn't relevant.

Certainly it is. CD is *vastly* more competent than LP by any
technical measure, so any expressed preference for vinyl is amatter of
subjective aeshetic preference. This is identical to the preference of
many people for the fine precision engineering required to make a
top-quality mechanical watch, as opposed to the more accurate but less
satisfying quartz watch. Now do you see the analogy? BTW, a Breguet
Tourbillon costs even more than a Sirius III, so many 'high enders'
would therefore consider it to be better by default than a cheaper
watch, even though the reality is that Zenith movements are the best
that money can buy, and the Tourbillon wris****ch, like vinyl, is a
very complex solution to a non-existant problem............

Stewart Pinkerton

On Tue, 16 Mar 2004 23:14:10 GMT, (S888Wheel) wrote:

Chung wrote:

Listen to the stability of
the piano as the sound decays into silence in those etudes. Compare that
to the ever-present wow-and-flutter on vinyl.

I have. the wow and flutter on my system are inaudible if the record is up to
snuff.

Quite so - but very few records can even approach the perfect
stability of CD.

I have yet to hear a CD capture the complexity of that same decay as
does the LP and excellent recordings. Score 1 for the LP in that regard.

In your experience, perhaps. I have numerous solo piano CDs where the
decay into silence is deeper and more detailed than on *any* of my LPs
- including the Sheffield direct-cuts.

If you
are having trouble with wow and flutter I would suggest you get a better
turntable/arm/cartridge combination and a record that isn't defective or
damaged for a real demonstration of what the medium is truly capable of.

I have done so - the medium has *very* limited capabilities.

Or listen to how quiet the background is.

Too quite. Lack of room ambience is another common problem amoung CDs. LP 2 CD
0.

Nope, CD still ahead by many lengths. Note that heavy compression is
commonly used so that the 'ambience' you hear on LP is lifted many dBs
over the natural sound, in order that it can be heard above surface
noise. You don't need to do this with CD, which has an extra 20-30dB
of dynamic range to allow low-level ambience to be heard clearly *and
naturally*.

Your $3K vinyl simply is incapable of reproducing high
signal-to-noise ratios or the steady tone of pianos, like a $300 could.

And yet I would bet most people would highly favor it in blind comparisons with
the vast majority of popular recordings that exist in both formats. There is
more to this picture than you are examining.

We're not talking about your personal preference for the distortions
and artifacts of vinyl, we're talking about the realistic reproduction
of music..................

These are subjective tests, and the measurements back those up.

They are hypathetical subjective tests. As I said before, in most of the actual
tests of this nature that I have witnessed or read about the results favored
the LP.

Not in my case, nor of many of my audiophile friends. The vinylphiles
are definitely in the minority - although of course a very *vocal*
minority, as usual!

Steven Sullivan

chung wrote:
Wait a minute, isn't Hoffman the guy who promoted this gadget:

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/hallograph.htm

Indeed..and he gets mighty testy if you express skepticism about it.

Just based on that, I would not participate on his forum. Didn't Steven
Sullivan got banned from his forum once for voicing his scientific
opinions? Hmmm, that sounds like another audio asylum...

It pretty much is; you can read for yourself on the Audio Hardware forum there and see, wihtout joining.
Hoffman himself says he dabbled with DBTs a long time ago, and?decided he didn't need it.
Which leads to this sort of thing:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...cfc3& t=30116

Here's their DBT policy

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/sh...cfc3& t=11234

Btw, down further in the thread, I'm the one who advised the moderator (offstage)
to direct readers to RAHE, not RAO, if they want to learn about controlled comparisons.
I'm also the 'krabapple' being referred to, and likely the one who prompted the
thread in the first place.

I'm not 'banned' per se but I am prevented from posting, until I agree
to 1) never mention objective comparison methods unless I'm discussing results
of blind tests I or others have done, and 2) never publicly question a statement or decision
made by any of the board's moderators.

No, I would say that those who frequent that forum have a strong
subjectivist bend, are pro-vinyl, and I don't believe they are
reflective of the real-world audio enthusiasts at all!

There's probably a poll on there somewhere regarding that question, but as I',m no
longer allowed to run searches, I can't point you to it. Maybe Scott
(S888Wheel) can.

i think they are a much better informed group than the public at large.

No, not true, based on the fact that Hoffman could promote that gadget
there.

Like most audiophile forums, it's populated by lots of peopel who
take dubious audiophile lore as 'fact', mainly because they surround
themselves with others of the same mindset.

I have yet to hear a CD capture the complexity of that same decay as
does the LP and excellent recordings. Score 1 for the LP in that regard.

If you are the one keeping score, we know the final tally already .

All he has to do is copy that LP to CD, and he'd finally hear that
'decay' he thinks CD can't do.

--

-S.

"They've got God on their side. All we've got is science and reason."
-- Dawn Hulsey, Talent Director

S888Wheel

From: chung
Date: 3/17/2004 8:46 AM Pacific Standard Time
From: chung

Date: 3/15/2004 10:50 AM Pacific Standard Time

S888Wheel wrote:

[...]

Yes an acoustic room treatment. You sure it doesn't make a difference? He
auditioned it once at a show and liked what he heard. So what?

Just based on that, I would not participate on his forum.

Based on an endorsment of a room treatment? Wow!

Didn't Steven
Sullivan got banned from his forum once for voicing his scientific
opinions? Hmmm, that sounds like another audio asylum...

No he got suspended for not following the rules.

No, I would say that those who frequent that forum have a strong
subjectivist bend, are pro-vinyl, and I don't believe they are
reflective of the real-world audio enthusiasts at all!

You would be letting your biases get the best of you. Ironic coming from one
who seems to endorse the idea of controling biases.

i think they are a much better informed group than the public at large.

No, not true, based on the fact that Hoffman could promote that gadget
there.

OSAF. I am surprised to see you think Steve Hoffman's endorsement of a room
treatment is grounds to dismiss the opinions of the entire forum over there.
Should others do the same to this forum based on any one opinion of any one
regular on any one subject? It looks to me like you were just looking for an
excuse. Ever listen to Steve Hoffman's work?

Again, I don't think you would favor the opinion of the public at large if

the
topic were astology. You call upon the masses when you think they agree

with
you. i make no presumption about the forum members at Steve Hoffman's

website.
The *majority* of them are CD enthusiasts.

If you like, go ahead and do your survey. I think the results are
biased, but you are welcome to it, and yeaj, it could be fun.

There is no mob mentality over there that I can see. I think the results might
be interesting over there because it is the one forum that I think comes the
closest to being unbiased overall. I think the results would not be a s easy to
predict there as they would here or in the Vinyl Asylum on Audio Asylum.
Perhaps you think your like minded friends here on RAHE are the ones who are
truly unbiased?

Now back to the issue of a $300 beating a $3000 vinyl rig convincingly.
Simply listen to solo piano recordings.

I have done so quite extensively.

For instance, Lang Lang's Rach3
on which he also played the Scriabin Etudes. Listen to the stability of
the piano as the sound decays into silence in those etudes. Compare that
to the ever-present wow-and-flutter on vinyl.

I have. the wow and flutter on my system are inaudible if the record is up

snuff.

Of course, one of the problems of LP as a delivery format is that there
are so many LP's that are not up to snuff, due to the difficulty of
manufacturing perfectly centered discs, etc.

There are a lot of CDs that are not up to snuf either. It goes both ways on
that issue. I will say though, the LP is definitely more prone to manufacturing
defects and to damage.

I have yet to hear a CD capture the complexity of that same decay as
does the LP and excellent recordings. Score 1 for the LP in that regard.

If you are the one keeping score, we know the final tally already .

I keep my own score yes. The results were in for me quite a while ago. I do
however look for better mastered CDs as well as LPs.

But this is really deja au all over again. Almost exactly one year ago,
you were an active participant in this thread comparing LP vs CD:

Not much has changed since then.
chung

S888Wheel wrote:

Wait a minute, isn't Hoffman the guy who promoted this gadget:

http://www.shakti-innovations.com/hallograph.htm

Yes an acoustic room treatment. You sure it doesn't make a difference?

And you still have to ask?

He
auditioned it once at a show and liked what he heard. So what?

Just based on that, I would not participate on his forum.

Based on an endorsment of a room treatment? Wow!

Didn't Steven
Sullivan got banned from his forum once for voicing his scientific
opinions? Hmmm, that sounds like another audio asylum...

No he got suspended for not following the rules.

Those rules, as Steven explained in a follow-up post, I would find it
impossible to adhere to. Hence I would not participate in such a forum.
In fact, Mr. Sullivan appears to me to be a perfectly reasonable
gentleman with a well-thought-posting style. It's definitely that
forum's loss not to have him. I am much more blunt than Mr. Sullivan,
and I doubt very much if I could last there, even if I wish to join.

Now how much weight should I give to a forum whose rules I don't respect?

No, I would say that those who frequent that forum have a strong
subjectivist bend, are pro-vinyl, and I don't believe they are
reflective of the real-world audio enthusiasts at all!

You would be letting your biases get the best of you. Ironic coming from one
who seems to endorse the idea of controling biases.

It's not that I am biased. It's the fact that those who participate in
such a forum tend to be subjectivist, not interested in objective
bias-controlled methods, and much more skewed towards favoring vinyl
than the audio enthusisasts who don't frequent those forums. When you do
a survey there, you are doing a survey using that special set of
subjects, and therefore your results are biased.

i think they are a much better informed group than the public at large.

No, not true, based on the fact that Hoffman could promote that gadget
there.

OSAF. I am surprised to see you think Steve Hoffman's endorsement of a room
treatment is grounds to dismiss the opinions of the entire forum over there.
Should others do the same to this forum based on any one opinion of any one
regular on any one subject? It looks to me like you were just looking for an
excuse.

No excuse, you are welcome to do your survey there.

Ever listen to Steve Hoffman's work?

No, never felt the urge to. Have you listened to some great
CD/SACD/DVD-A lately? Let us know if you need some recommendations.

[...]

The RAHE is a very small sampling of audio enthusiasts. I do not think
that the results here are really reflective of the mass of enthuisasts
in the world. Therefore, a survey done on this newsgroup also has
limited appeal to me.

Now back to the issue of a $300 beating a $3000 vinyl rig convincingly.
Simply listen to solo piano recordings.

I have done so quite extensively.

For instance, Lang Lang's Rach3
on which he also played the Scriabin Etudes. Listen to the stability of
the piano as the sound decays into silence in those etudes. Compare that
to the ever-present wow-and-flutter on vinyl.

I have. the wow and flutter on my system are inaudible if the record is up

snuff.

Of course, one of the problems of LP as a delivery format is that there
are so many LP's that are not up to snuff, due to the difficulty of
manufacturing perfectly centered discs, etc.

There are a lot of CDs that are not up to snuf either. It goes both ways on
that issue.

CD's that are not manufactured up to snuff? Please give examples. And
compare against vinyl.

I will say though, the LP is definitely more prone to manufacturing
defects and to damage.

I have yet to hear a CD capture the complexity of that same decay as
does the LP and excellent recordings. Score 1 for the LP in that regard.

If you are the one keeping score, we know the final tally already .

I keep my own score yes. The results were in for me quite a while ago. I do
however look for better mastered CDs as well as LPs.

But this is really deja au all over again. Almost exactly one year ago,
you were an active participant in this thread comparing LP vs CD:

Not much has changed since then.

Here is a practical suggestion. Get that $100 Panasonic DVD-A player
that Mr. Lavo raved about. That Remastering/Upsampling may be exactly
what you need to appreciate the digital formats! If not, you are out at
most $100, and it's a nice DVD player.

Steven Sullivan

S888Wheel wrote:
There is no mob mentality over there that I can see. I think the results might
be interesting over there because it is the one forum that I think comes the
closest to being unbiased overall.

I presumse you mean about LP vs CD, because otherwise your claim is not
supported by the evidence. SH.tv is *heavily* biased on some topics.

There are a lot of CDs that are not up to snuf either. It goes both ways on
that issue. I will say though, the LP is definitely more prone to manufacturing
defects and to damage.

LP also has more inherent, audible, and to some, euphonic departures from
accuracy, than CD.