Mike

Default Subwoofer hookup question

Just purchased a Velodyne 12" subwoofer. The salesman told me that
the best way to connect it is to use the speaker level inputs as
opposed to the line level inputs which would result in a smoother
transition of the bass. This goes against what I've read in the past
(I'm mostly a newbie though). My system consists of Mirage speakers
all around and a Yamaha RXV-800 receiver. Any opinions on the best
way to connect?

In article ,
"Shrivel" wrote:

Use the line level inputs.

I would love to hear how the salesman defines "smoother transition of the
bass."

Ditto

Scott
trotsky

Shrivel wrote:
Use the line level inputs.

I would love to hear how the salesman defines "smoother transition of the
bass."

REL, one of the most respected subwoofer lines in the world, says the
same thing.

Lionel

Le Fri, 10 Oct 2003 22:57:19 GMT, trotsky ,
a écrit :

Shrivel wrote:
Use the line level inputs.

I would love to hear how the salesman defines "smoother transition of the
bass."

REL, one of the most respected subwoofer lines in the world, says the
same thing.

The most respected subwoofer in the world has a strange name
"Subterfuge".
http://www.jupiter-audio.com/pages/subterfuge.html
You will be able to purchase the unique specimen at a low price if you
wait for 6-8 weeks for Jupiter-Audio's bankruptcy...

Take care of the Trex ! ;-)

jeffc

Mike wrote in message ...
Just purchased a Velodyne 12" subwoofer. The salesman told me that
the best way to connect it is to use the speaker level inputs as
opposed to the line level inputs which would result in a smoother
transition of the bass. This goes against what I've read in the past
(I'm mostly a newbie though). My system consists of Mirage speakers
all around and a Yamaha RXV-800 receiver. Any opinions on the best
way to connect?

If is has a built-in amp (which it must if it has line level inputs), then
it must be better than your receiver. The salesman is probably going on bad
assumptions due to limited experience. Or else there's more info you
haven't told us.

trotsky

jeffc wrote:
Mike wrote in message ...

Just purchased a Velodyne 12" subwoofer. The salesman told me that
the best way to connect it is to use the speaker level inputs as
opposed to the line level inputs which would result in a smoother
transition of the bass. This goes against what I've read in the past
(I'm mostly a newbie though). My system consists of Mirage speakers
all around and a Yamaha RXV-800 receiver. Any opinions on the best
way to connect?

If is has a built-in amp (which it must if it has line level inputs), then
it must be better than your receiver.

You don't have your 'choice of amps' with a powered subwoofer. I would
suggest killfiling yourself, "jeff".

Kalman Rubinson

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 02:37:07 GMT, "kgs" wrote:

what is the difference b/t line level inputs and speaker level inputs?

Line level inputs are usually coax (RCA), 1-4volts, negligible power
and high impedance (5kohms). Connect to the output of a preamp.

Speaker level inputs are usually paired wires (screw terminals or
binding posts), higher voltage and power (tens of volts and watts) and
low impedance (4-16ohms). Connect to the output of an amplifier.

Kal

"jeffc" wrote in message
om...

Mike wrote in message ...
Just purchased a Velodyne 12" subwoofer. The salesman told me that
the best way to connect it is to use the speaker level inputs as
opposed to the line level inputs which would result in a smoother
transition of the bass. This goes against what I've read in the past
(I'm mostly a newbie though). My system consists of Mirage speakers
all around and a Yamaha RXV-800 receiver. Any opinions on the best
way to connect?

If is has a built-in amp (which it must if it has line level inputs), then
it must be better than your receiver. The salesman is probably going on

bad
assumptions due to limited experience. Or else there's more info you
haven't told us.

ScottW

"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 02:37:07 GMT, "kgs" wrote:

what is the difference b/t line level inputs and speaker level inputs?

Line level inputs are usually coax (RCA), 1-4volts, negligible power
and high impedance (5kohms). Connect to the output of a preamp.

Speaker level inputs are usually paired wires (screw terminals or
binding posts), higher voltage and power (tens of volts and watts) and
low impedance (4-16ohms). Connect to the output of an amplifier.

Kal

Not in my powered sub, Hsu VTF-2 (which I think is the topic)
Speaker level are still high impedance so you don't need any
thick speaker wire to use the speaker level inputs.
I think there is just an attenuator on the input before the amp
while line level goes straight into the amp.

ScottW

Kalman Rubinson

On Thu, 30 Oct 2003 20:17:49 -0800, "ScottW"
wrote:

Not in my powered sub, Hsu VTF-2 (which I think is the topic)

Did not see the topic or earlier posts but....

Speaker level are still high impedance so you don't need any
thick speaker wire to use the speaker level inputs.
I think there is just an attenuator on the input before the amp
while line level goes straight into the amp.

Exactly. This also means that there are no speaker-level outputs for
the satellites.

Kal
trotsky

ScottW wrote:
"Kalman Rubinson" wrote in message

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 02:37:07 GMT, "kgs" wrote:

what is the difference b/t line level inputs and speaker level inputs?

Line level inputs are usually coax (RCA), 1-4volts, negligible power
and high impedance (5kohms). Connect to the output of a preamp.

Speaker level inputs are usually paired wires (screw terminals or
binding posts), higher voltage and power (tens of volts and watts) and
low impedance (4-16ohms). Connect to the output of an amplifier.

Kal

Not in my powered sub, Hsu VTF-2 (which I think is the topic)
Speaker level are still high impedance so you don't need any
thick speaker wire to use the speaker level inputs.

Scottie, just out of curiosity, how did "connect to the output of an
amplifier" translate to "you need thick speaker wire" in your syphilitic
brain?

ScottW

wrote:

Not in my powered sub, Hsu VTF-2 (which I think is the topic)

Did not see the topic or earlier posts but....

Speaker level are still high impedance so you don't need any
thick speaker wire to use the speaker level inputs.
I think there is just an attenuator on the input before the amp
while line level goes straight into the amp.

Exactly. This also means that there are no speaker-level outputs for
the satellites.

Kal

I was specifically talking about sub inputs, not receiver or
processor outputs. The amp I refer to in my comment is the dedicated
power amp embedded in the sub.
I don't understand your comment regarding outputs for satellites.
ScottW

trotsky wrote in message hlink.net...
ScottW wrote:
[...]

We all know you don't understand the different interconnect
requirements of a low impedance load and a high impedance load. Call
Madisound and for $40 they can help you out.

ScottW
trotsky

ScottW wrote:

[...]

Let me get this straight: you're claiming that if I call Madisound or
anybody on Earth there exists the possibility of them telling when you
use "thick speaker wire" and "thin speaker wire" with respect to "high
and low impedance loads"? How do people get this ****ed up?

Kalman Rubinson

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 22:52:40 GMT, trotsky wrote:

The natural roll-off of the main speakers usually works just fine,
unless power handling is an issue.

It often is.

Kal

trotsky

Kalman Rubinson wrote:
On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 22:52:40 GMT, trotsky wrote:

The natural roll-off of the main speakers usually works just fine,
unless power handling is an issue.

It often is.

I disagree. Describe the scenarios that you are saying occur often, please.

ScottW

"trotsky" wrote in message
link.net...
ScottW wrote:
trotsky wrote in message

hlink.net...

ScottW wrote:

[...]

Sure, but the critical part is you paying for this trivial knowledge.
That way you might actually believe it.
Given your facts in the eye of the beholder mentality.
Perhaps if you had funded your own education it wouldn't have
gone for naught.

ScottW

Subwoofer installation question Jack Car Audio 2 April 7th 04 02:30 PM
Question about Dual Voice Coil Subwoofer Sped General 1 January 4th 04 11:06 AM
Subwoofer box question Joseph Luner Car Audio 5 December 30th 03 04:13 PM
Subwoofer question habibe99 Car Audio 0 November 25th 03 01:37 AM
Subwoofer position question Robert Morein Audio Opinions 1 August 24th 03 02:19 PM