Chris Johnson

Default Louder IS Better (With Lossy)

In article ,
Erwin Timmerman wrote:
No. With "more dynamic" he means "more dynamic". Which means, very soft
parts as well as very loud parts. The RAP5 collection is a collection of
songs recorded by recording engineers on this newsgroup. Most of them
despise the loud louder loudest war that is going on in commercial releases,
and won't contribute to it. The way their recordings sound, shows it. Really
nice to listen to.

For what it's worth my entry is relevant to this crest factor
discussion. The version of "Take A Number" on the RAP5 collection has
essentially a scratch vocal, and was processed using phase-reversed
doctored sidechain compression to crank up the crest factor VERY high,
in fact higher than I ever use anymore.

I was trying to show what the opposite extreme could sound like-
think I more or less succeeded within the limitations of what I had to
work with. I believe that in this case, many people would agree with
Myke that this version of "Take A Number" would make a better mp3 if it
was peak limited and its crest factor was reduced- again, because it was
intentionally exaggerated wildly for use as an example.

The current version happens to be louder and denser, with a different
snarly-punkish lead vocal that's about 32 times louder

Chris Johnson