Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion
Tnguyen Tnguyen is offline

Default Stereo amp stop produce sound

I have a Samson S1000 that accepts a subwoofer signal from pre/pro and
drives a passive SVS subwoofer. Until recent day, the amp stops amplified
sound. Through troubleshooting, it indicates that the fault is in the S1000
amp. I am able to get the SVS sub working by placing a working amplifier
between the pre/pro and the sub. This setup eliminates the suspicion of the
two components: pre/pro and the sub.

When I run the 5.1 sound balance with the S1000 in the system, sound is not
emanating from the subwoofer. However if I test the subwoofer peak from the
pre/pro and max out the test volume @ +15db (vol from the test menu in the
pre/pro), the amp does creat sound but not at a very loud level as when it
is working properly. What could posibly cause this problem?

BTW, the S1000 is a stereo amp. I only use one channel to power the sub. I
test both channel but they exhibit the same symptom as described in the
second paragraph.

Thanks all in advance.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion
[email protected] allaboutchemistry@hotmail.com is offline

Tnguyen wrote:
I have a Samson S1000 that accepts a subwoofer signal from pre/pro and
drives a passive SVS subwoofer. Until recent day, the amp stops amplified
sound. Through troubleshooting, it indicates that the fault is in the S1000
amp.

Suggest you post in:

rec.audio.tech

Also search Google for technical discussion groups.

Also read your Samson manual and ask Samson for advice.

(snip)

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

Tnguyen wrote:
I have a Samson S1000 that accepts a subwoofer signal from pre/pro and
drives a passive SVS subwoofer. Until recent day, the amp stops amplified
sound. Through troubleshooting, it indicates that the fault is in the S1000
amp. I am able to get the SVS sub working by placing a working amplifier
between the pre/pro and the sub. This setup eliminates the suspicion of the
two components: pre/pro and the sub.

Okay, you have a junky DJ-grade amplifier, and it broke. Are you surprised?

When I run the 5.1 sound balance with the S1000 in the system, sound is not
emanating from the subwoofer. However if I test the subwoofer peak from the
pre/pro and max out the test volume @ +15db (vol from the test menu in the
pre/pro), the amp does creat sound but not at a very loud level as when it
is working properly. What could posibly cause this problem?

All kinds of things could cause something like that to happen, but clearly
something in the signal path isn't passing much signal.

BTW, the S1000 is a stereo amp. I only use one channel to power the sub. I
test both channel but they exhibit the same symptom as described in the
second paragraph.

If the problem is common to both channels, that would tend to incriminate
the power supply, which is common to both channels.

In general, though, these amplifiers are not worth the money to have a
tech look at them, and probably aren't worth your time to open them up
unless you value your labour very little.

If you open it you'll probably find two big rails and two small rails...
and if you measure them you'll probably find one or more of them is dead.

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion
Tnguyen Tnguyen is offline

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Tnguyen wrote:
[...]

In general, without open up the amp, power up and down is still working
properly.

In general, though, these amplifiers are not worth the money to have a
tech look at them, and probably aren't worth your time to open them up
unless you value your labour very little.

So what you're saying is the amp is just junk? I thought it was a decent
amp for the subwoofer, and it was the original component came with the
subwoofer package from SVS. Now I would not use this amp to power the main
speakers of course, but for the sub.... I think it was enough.

If you open it you'll probably find two big rails and two small rails...
and if you measure them you'll probably find one or more of them is dead.

I have sometimes this Holiday. I may have a look at the power rails just
for fun.

Thanks for your advice!!

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion
Tnguyen Tnguyen is offline

wrote in message
ps.com...

Tnguyen wrote:
I have a Samson S1000 that accepts a subwoofer signal from pre/pro and
drives a passive SVS subwoofer. Until recent day, the amp stops

amplified
sound. Through troubleshooting, it indicates that the fault is in the

S1000
amp.

Suggest you post in:

rec.audio.tech

I did this!

Also search Google for technical discussion groups.

Also read your Samson manual and ask Samson for advice.

(snip)

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion
Skler Skler is offline

In general, though, these amplifiers are not worth the money to have a
tech look at them, and probably aren't worth your time to open them up
unless you value your labour very little.

If you open it you'll probably find two big rails and two small rails...
and if you measure them you'll probably find one or more of them is dead.

Yep. In the US, it's generally $100 or so just to have a good take an
amplifier in for evaluation, so as a general rule unless the amplifier is a
very good one, it won't be worth having repaired. On the positive side, if
the problem is with the power supply as suggested, that will usually be a
lot less expensive to repair than say, output and/or driver stages. If the
supply is of the switching variety, which is becoming more common in audio
power amps these days, the power supply module is almost never repaired, but
simply replaced. Such a repair can easily cost in the neighborhood of $100
for the supply alone, plus the cost of labor. For relatively inexpensive
amplifiers your best bet will be to either work on it yourself or have a
technically inclined and interested friend open it and look for simple
problems like broken connections, loose crimp connections, cracked solder
pads, blown fuses or obviously burnt up components and go from there.

Good luck!

Skler

Posted to rec.audio.tech,rec.audio.pro,rec.audio.misc,rec.audio.opinion
Skler Skler is offline

Trouble shooting yourself & looking for the obvious, or using the "Shotgun"
approach:

If the power supply rail voltages are low or even totally gone, you may be
able to fix the supply yourself.

If it's a modular switching supply, see if it would be worth it for you to
buy a new supply from the manufacturer and put it in yourself.

If the supply is of the traditional analog type, you should be able to
trouble shoot it with a volt meter. Common failures in such circuits include
blown fuses (chassis mount, on-board type, or "in-transformer" fuses), bad
voltage regulator IC's or transistors, bad rectifier diodes or bridge
rectifier modules, burnt up & open circuit lands, leaky capacitors (usually
in older equipment). Regulator IC's or transistors are the most common
failure. Remember that if there's a blown fuse or burnt up & open circuit
land/trace, it was most likely caused by the failure of some other
component, and often when one component fails it will cause a cascade of
failures. A popular technique for electronic repair when the parts in
question are relatively cheap is to use the "shotgun" approach, in which
simply all of the key electronic components are replaced. e.g. Main
regulator IC's & transistors, rectifier diodes, zener diodes and filter
capacitors. Resistors that have been subject to too much heat are usually
easy to spot, since they will be discolored and sometimes misshapen; you can
usually measure them in circuit as well to see if they've opened up or
shifted in value significantly, though modern resistors are less prone to
failure. To purchase the parts you need, check out the on-line electronics
catalog stores like Mouser, Allied, DigiKey and Newark.

Skler