Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] erigby@batelnet.bs is offline

Default Linkwitz Labs lx521 open baffle speaker

Anyone auditioned these speakers? comments, impressions on their sound? They can be heard on youtube if nowhere else an option- please skip what I know already i.e. youtube's limitations!

ESTG/

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] outsor@city-net.com is offline

Anyone auditioned these speakers? comments, impressions on their sound? They can
be heard on youtube if nowhere else an option- please skip what I know already
i.e. youtube's limitations!

ESTG/

'The Audio Critic'

http://theaudiocritic.com/plog/

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
news news is offline

wrote in message
Anyone auditioned these speakers? comments, impressions on their sound?
They can be heard on youtube if nowhere else an option- please skip what I
know already i.e. youtube's limitations!

ESTG/

I don't think he employed the services of an industrial designer in the
looks department. As for performance, a fine effort but you need to do more
than just leave the baffles open to shape a radiation pattern. These
speakers would be way too hot still on the direct sound, with no effort to
shape the pattern for distance/intensity trading for off center listeners or
the D/R ratio to build the image model to be more like live.

Summarize, it needs more output to the rear and sides, done purposely by
placing drivers on all faces of the box and dialing in various gains as
required. The loudspeaker disappearing act is caused by a simple image shift
toward the reflecting surfaces, if the reflected ratio is high enough.
Soundstage focus is achieved by placing the speakers exactly 1/4 of the room
width in from the side walls and out from the front wall. The
distance/intensity trading is done by the frontal radiation pattern being
stronger toward the opposite speaker by 6 dB (ref. DBX Soundfield One and
Davis experiments).

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:21:21 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Anyone auditioned these speakers? comments, impressions on their sound? They can be heard on youtube if nowhere else an option- please skip what I know already i.e. youtube's limitations!

ESTG/

a) No, I have not auditioned these speakers.
b) The single most dangerous behavior a potential purchaser of audio equipment might do in their quest is to solicit the opinion of others on equipment they have not heard themselves.
c) Whatever might apply to other-than-transducers applies exponentially to transducers (speakers being one example of such).
d) The second most dangerous behavior one might exhibit is to actually purchase transducers at some sum more than common pocket change without extensive auditioning *IN THEIR FINAL RESTING PLACE!*

Point being that no matter how well informed the opinions expressed here might be, they are NOT yours, they DO NOT know your tastes or peculiarities, and making decisions on outside influence will inevitably lead to acute unhappiness.

Which, of course, also applies to the above.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Low Hertz Low Hertz is offline

On Monday, December 8, 2014 4:41:40 AM UTC-8, Peter Wieck wrote:
[...]

Many years ago (1974) I was a guitar major at Berklee College of Music.
There were people there more into gear than music, and a friend wanted to introduce me to what Albembic was capabable off.

The reason I write this is they used infinity baffles on their speakers.
They built a wall of JBL 15" without any baffles, just open ear

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[...]

Back in the early 70s I was a student at Berklee College of Music. There were many people that were more into gear and sound than learning to play music (I thought them pathetic), but one dragged me to a Hot Tuna concert where Alembic did the sound.

That is where I respond to this posting, on infinite baffles.

They had a wall of open air, no baffles JBL 15" powered by Alembic Preamps
(modified Fender design, just much better) and Crown power amps.

The tone was absolutely beautiful, the best I ever heard.

So open back speakers have an absolutely beautiful tone.

Similarly, I had an Ampeg Gemini II, it was a guitar amp with a 15" and an open back. I didn't play loud, I was a jazz bass player, and no bass amps with their ported cabs had the tonal beauty of that open air tube guitar amp.

Can't figure out why I ever sold it, nor remember it.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

"Peter Wieck" wrote in message ...

On Wednesday, June 18, 2014 11:21:21 AM UTC-4, wrote:

Anyone auditioned these speakers? comments, impressions on their sound?
They can be heard on youtube if nowhere else an option- please skip what
I know already i.e. youtube's limitations!

a) No, I have not auditioned these speakers.

Thank you for your candor.

c) The single most dangerous behavior a potential purchaser of audio
equipment might do in their quest is to solicit the opinion of others on
equipment they have not heard themselves.

Agreed. IMO another highly dangerous behavior is listening to speakers any
place but the final intended installation situation.

c) Whatever might apply to other-than-transducers applies exponentially to
transducers (speakers being one example of such).

Agreed, and doing casual auditions of electronics is utterly susceptible to
human bias towards hearing audible differences that are purely a matter of
perception and bias.

d) The second most dangerous behavior one might exhibit is to actually
purchase transducers at some sum more than common pocket change without
extensive auditioning *IN THEIR FINAL RESTING PLACE!*

If you are going to base transducer purchases based on auditions,
auditioning them *IN THEIR FINAL RESTING PLACE!* is obligatory. Any other
kind of audition of speakers has questionable relevance.

Point being that no matter how well informed the opinions expressed here
might be, they are NOT yours, they DO NOT know your tastes or
peculiarities, and making decisions on outside influence will inevitably
lead to acute unhappiness.

That all said for over a decade I have purchased all of my speaker systems
sight unseen. Once I get the speakers in hand I work with positioning and
system equalization to get the sound I desire.

That last speakers I purchased were JBL LSR 308, obtained a few months back,
and they have worked out very well for me.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Peter Wieck Peter Wieck is offline

De gustibus non est disputandem. Writing only for myself, I have found that=
JBL speakers pale pretty quickly. And exactly why giving advice on speake=
rs in such a venue as this is of questionable utility. My tastes run to Mag=
gies and highly inefficient acoustic suspension designs (AR, ADS & family).=
I have the power to drive them and the room to give them their head. I wou=
ld no more consider JBL than a Japanese/Pacific Rim amplifier.

Nor did I suggest this is a fully rational position, but it has served me i=
ncredibly well over the years. There is just so much Stuff out that the occ=
asional boundary proves useful. I am not half-done with the stuff in my tar=
get zone after 40 years in the hobby to have much time to pursue distant ou=
tliers on pure speculaton that something might have changed significantly.

I just finished building a Dynaco amp clone (tube) and have my eye on build=
ing another soon. A parts-box item, everything recycled but one of two cir=
cuit boards. Now that can be a learning experience. And one I could legitim=
ately suggest to anyone with the time and inclination.

Peter Wieck=20
Melrose Park, PA=20