Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

Default Audio Precision System One Dual Domani Measuirement Systems

I'm part of group that is readying two Audio Precision System One Dual
Domain measurement systems for market.

The units have exceptional provenance. They were owned by Stereo Review
Magazine and were the personal tools of Julian Hirsch. They still have
Hachette Publications property stickers on them.

Hachette Filipacchi Media U.S magazine operations, like Ziff Davis, and
indeed Stereo Review, are regrettably no more. We obtained these units from
Hachette as surplus items right before they moved their offices in
Manhattan.

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hachett...cchi_Media_U.S. ,
Hachette's US magazine operations were sold off in May, 2010.

The condition of the equipment is excellent. All of the tests I've run
worked the first time. We have them fully operational and attached to
computers running Windows XP. We believe that we have drivers and I/O cards
that will work with even later versions of Windows. The units are a tiny bit
out of calibration. We intend to run 100% of the diagnostics and have them
entirely nominal before sale.

While not SOTA in terms of distortion residuals, AP S1 systems are still
valuable tools for many current applications due to their excellent
interfaces, good performance, and programmability. We intend to sell them as
turnkey systems - unbox what we send you, plug it in, and go!

If you are interested in purchasing this equipment, please contact me at
arnyk at comcast dot net.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

"Arny Krueger"

I'm part of group that is readying two Audio Precision System One Dual
Domain measurement systems for market.

The units have exceptional provenance. They were owned by Stereo Review
Magazine and were the personal tools of Julian Hirsch. They still have
Hachette Publications property stickers on them.

** Has this unit got more value because of its provenance ?

Anyhow - here's a pic of one:

http://www.nessales.com/ebay/13318/A... Pic%20(0).JPG

.... Phil

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
recursor recursor is offline

On 12/30/2011 11:21 PM, Phil Allison wrote:
"Arny Krueger"

I'm part of group that is readying two Audio Precision System One Dual
Domain measurement systems for market.

The units have exceptional provenance. They were owned by Stereo Review
Magazine and were the personal tools of Julian Hirsch. They still have
Hachette Publications property stickers on them.

** Has this unit got more value because of its provenance ?

Of course it has, the stickers make it much more accurate...Sheesh,
don't you know anything?
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

"recursor"
Phil Allison wrote:
"Arny Krueger"

I'm part of group that is readying two Audio Precision System One Dual
Domain measurement systems for market.

The units have exceptional provenance. They were owned by Stereo Review
Magazine and were the personal tools of Julian Hirsch. They still have
Hachette Publications property stickers on them.

** Has this unit got more value because of its provenance ?

Of course it has, the stickers make it much more accurate...Sheesh, don't
you know anything?

** I imagined it might be Julian Hirsch's aura and sweaty finger prints
that made the difference.

Bit like a Strat that had once belonged to Jimi Hendrix.

..... Phil

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Alan[_5_] Alan[_5_] is offline

In message , recursor
wrote

Of course it has, the stickers make it much more accurate...

but only when used with Russ Andrews cables.
--
Alan

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
recursor recursor is offline

On 12/31/2011 10:43 AM, Alan wrote:
In message , recursor
wrote

Of course it has, the stickers make it much more accurate...

but only when used with Russ Andrews cables.

Funny you should say that as the little beauties below have been reduced
to *only* £1503 and they feature that well known technical enhancement
of orthogonal braid. I've just ordered half a dozen of them, they'll go
well with the Hachette Publications property stickers...in fact **** it,
they won't just go well, they were made for each other.
http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...NULQPHBZIBBHUY
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Alan[_5_] Alan[_5_] is offline

In message , recursor
wrote

http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...currency=GBP&p
f_id=2137&customer_id=PAA3122123611657HNNULQPHBZI BBHUY

Check out the Deep Cryo Treatment link on that page
--
Alan
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

On 12/31/2011 01:47 PM, Alan wrote:
In message , recursor
wrote

http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...currency=GBP&p
f_id=2137&customer_id=PAA3122123611657HNNULQPHBZIB BHUY

Check out the Deep Cryo Treatment link on that page

LMAO
"Russ’s thoughts in previous issues of our Connected magazine, you’ll
know that he advocates the freezing of CDs to improve their sound quality"

It seems you can fool some of the [rich] people enough of the time to
make a good living selling ********.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Woody[_5_] Woody[_5_] is offline

"recursor" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 12/31/2011 01:47 PM, Alan wrote:
In message
, recursor
wrote

http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...currency=GBP&p
f_id=2137&customer_id=PAA3122123611657HNNULQPHBZIB BHUY

Check out the Deep Cryo Treatment link on that page

LMAO
"Russ’s thoughts in previous issues of our Connected magazine,
you’ll know that he advocates the freezing of CDs to improve
their sound quality"

It seems you can fool some of the [rich] people enough of the
time to make a good living selling ********.

I saw a couple in Comet yesterday buying a 1m HDMI cable for £45.
You should have heard the drivel the 'knowledgeable' salesperson
was spouting.

The damage that such people can do to the TV industry is........
well, words fail me. Mind you if they are daft enough to spend so
much (and it was by no means the cheapest) rather than £4.99 at
B&Q then they deserve it.

--
Woody

harrogate three at ntlworld dot com

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 14:44:17 -0000, "Woody"
wrote:

I saw a couple in Comet yesterday buying a 1m HDMI cable for £45.
You should have heard the drivel the 'knowledgeable' salesperson
was spouting.

The damage that such people can do to the TV industry is........
well, words fail me. Mind you if they are daft enough to spend so
much (and it was by no means the cheapest) rather than £4.99 at
B&Q then they deserve it.

I bought an HDMI cable in Tottenham Court Road a couple of months ago.
The bloke wanted 19.95, and I said I wouldn't pay that much. He asked
what I would give, and I held out a fiver. He was perfectly happy with
the trade. I should have offered a quid.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

wrote:

I saw a couple in Comet yesterday buying a 1m HDMI cable for £45.
You should have heard the drivel the 'knowledgeable' salesperson
was spouting.

The damage that such people can do to the TV industry is........
well, words fail me. Mind you if they are daft enough to spend so
much (and it was by no means the cheapest) rather than £4.99 at
B&Q then they deserve it.

I bought an HDMI cable in Tottenham Court Road a couple of months ago.
The bloke wanted 19.95, and I said I wouldn't pay that much. He asked
what I would give, and I held out a fiver. He was perfectly happy with
the trade. I should have offered a quid.

He'd still be mnaking a profit, too, more than likely.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

Phil Allison wrote:

Of course it has, the stickers make it much more accurate...Sheesh,
don't you know anything?

** I imagined it might be Julian Hirsch's aura and sweaty finger
prints that made the difference.

There quite possibly is some extra market value because of it. However

Bit like a Strat that had once belonged to Jimi Hendrix.

For audiophile grade measurements use them with this:

http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...NULQPHBZIBBHUY

mains cable. Many banks ask you to pay for having money stored in their
system and this mains cable will remedy that problem and thus really be a
saving.

O;-)

.... Phil

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

I bought an HDMI cable in Tottenham Court Road a couple of
months ago. The bloke wanted 19.95, and I said I wouldn't pay
that much. He asked what I would give, and I held out a fiver.
He was perfectly happy with the trade. I should have offered a quid.

My Pioneer Elite Kuro sits some distance from the player. I needed a 20'
HDMI cable. I bought MCM's house-brand cable for about $15. It works
perfectly, as far as I can tell.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 07:47:44 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

I bought an HDMI cable in Tottenham Court Road a couple of
months ago. The bloke wanted 19.95, and I said I wouldn't pay
that much. He asked what I would give, and I held out a fiver.
He was perfectly happy with the trade. I should have offered a quid.

My Pioneer Elite Kuro sits some distance from the player. I needed a 20'
HDMI cable. I bought MCM's house-brand cable for about $15. It works
perfectly, as far as I can tell.

I'm sure you'd know instantly if it wasn't working properly.

I wish they would redesign HDMI, though. It suffers from precisely the
same defect as SCART - the cable is too thick and springy, and the
flimsy connector has no detent. Rubbish piece of design.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

I wish they would redesign HDMI, though. It suffers from precisely the
same defect as SCART -- the cable is too thick and springy, and the
flimsy connector has no detent. Rubbish piece of design.

Some are made of limper cable. Not surprisingly, given the thickness, longer
cables tend to be limper, regardless of the material.

I like the lack of a detent. You pull on the cable, and it simply falls out.
You can't cause the display (or other device) to slide or fall over.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
David Looser David Looser is offline

"Don Pearce" wrote in message

I wish they would redesign HDMI, though. It suffers from precisely the
same defect as SCART - the cable is too thick and springy, and the
flimsy connector has no detent. Rubbish piece of design.

I entirely agree. I wish they'd retained the vastly superior DVI connector
for HDMI, but I guess its that little bit more expensive.

I don't have any confidence in the long-term reliability of the HDMI
connector and the PCB mounted sockets will be almost impossible to replace.
So I predict that plenty of otherwise perfectly servicable bits of kit will
be scrapped just because the HDMI connectors no longer make good reliable
contact.

David.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

David Looser wrote:

I don't have any confidence in the long-term reliability of the HDMI
connector and the PCB mounted sockets will be almost impossible to
replace. So I predict that plenty of otherwise perfectly servicable
bits of kit will be scrapped just because the HDMI connectors no
longer make good reliable contact.

I found some specs for harddisk interface cables, the IDE version is
designed for 5000 operations, the SATA version for 50. Divide by 10 since it
is salesmans claims and you get an intense wish of not removing and
replugging a harddisk cable unless you absolutely MUST.

My reason for the googling for this info was my having to discard a brand
new disk because of a clumsy hand move inside the box breaking the plug on
the disk. Fortunately the disk was empty.

David

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

On 12/31/2011 04:57 PM, Peter Larsen wrote:
David Looser wrote:

I don't have any confidence in the long-term reliability of the HDMI
connector and the PCB mounted sockets will be almost impossible to
replace. So I predict that plenty of otherwise perfectly servicable
bits of kit will be scrapped just because the HDMI connectors no
longer make good reliable contact.

I found some specs for harddisk interface cables, the IDE version is
designed for 5000 operations, the SATA version for 50. Divide by 10 since it
is salesmans claims and you get an intense wish of not removing and
replugging a harddisk cable unless you absolutely MUST.

My reason for the googling for this info was my having to discard a brand
new disk because of a clumsy hand move inside the box breaking the plug on
the disk. Fortunately the disk was empty.

Decent latching SATA cables are ok, unfortunately a lot of the ones
supplied with mobos or ready built boxes are of the cheap non-latching
variety and some of these are hardly good for one insertion/removal cycle.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
John Robertson John Robertson is offline

Peter Larsen wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

Of course it has, the stickers make it much more accurate...Sheesh,
don't you know anything?

** I imagined it might be Julian Hirsch's aura and sweaty finger
prints that made the difference.

There quite possibly is some extra market value because of it. However

Bit like a Strat that had once belonged to Jimi Hendrix.

For audiophile grade measurements use them with this:

http://www.russandrews.com/product.a...NULQPHBZIBBHUY

mains cable. Many banks ask you to pay for having money stored in their
system and this mains cable will remedy that problem and thus really be a
saving.

O;-)

.... Phil

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

How do they deal with the mains conductors back to the community
step-down transformer?

I suspect there is money to be mined in fixing the power input to the
high-end fools that buy these power cords.

"What if I can’t remove my mains lead? Cut off the mains cable about 3
inches (7.5cm) from where it enters your equipment and wire on a male
IEC plug as shown. " ROTFLMAO!

For further amusement read the Burn-In extra (only £15) feature because
otherwise you may have to wait over 500 hours to hear any difference
with your new power cord or silver RCA cords!

Fuses 13A made to BS-1362 standards (required by law in the UK for mains
fuses)...reading the notes about these £15.75 (pack of five) fuses that
everyone else sells for £1.25 (pack of four).

---------------------(quote)------------------------
You may notice that we cover the screw on some of our mains cables with
a 'Warranty - Void if Removed' sticker. This is to discourage people
from tampering with the cable in the plug. It's very difficult to work
with and we had a number of instances where people had tried to
de-solder their cables from the plug, ended up with a terrible mess and
sent it back to us to sort out. If you need to reterminate your cables,
we only charge a nominal retermination fee and you keep your warranty.

We appreciate, however that you need to destroy this label when you
replace the fuse with our new Russ Andrews fuses. You will not void your
warranty if you simply replace the fuse. Russ Andrews fuses are supplied
with 'Fitted with Russ Andrews Fuse' stickers to fit over the existing
warranty label. If you replace the fuse and then stick the new label
over the old warranty label, we'll know that you've simply replaced the
fuse if you return the cable for upgrade or repair in the future. It's
also a useful way for you to know which cables you've upgraded with a
better fuse!
------------------------(end quote)---------------

(shaking head sadly)

I'm obviously in the wrong end of things - I offer tech tips to save
people money and to try and teach them how to maintain their toys.

John ;-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

On 12/31/2011 06:41 PM, John Robertson wrote:
Peter Larsen wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

[...]

That's why you live in a hovel and Russ Andrews lives in a mansion.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

Peter Larsen wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

[...]

I can't believe the stuff he puts on his site...

"Upgrade your NAD or Marantz amplifier links

If your integrated amp has separate pre- and power sections connected by
brass or gold plated links between the RCA sockets (eg. NAD and Marantz
amplifiers), improve its performance by upgrading the links.

Our Amp Jumpers made with KIMBER Timbre interconnect are perfect!"

So Marantz doesn't know that silver is a better conductor than gold
jumpers? What is wrong with their engineers? They obviously need to
talkto Russ about improving their amps, get rid of those lousy gold
plated jacks and replace them with silver...now and then you can pull
out the silver polish to deal with the minor nuisance of oxidization
(which, oddly enough, doesn't happen with gold connectors). I couldn't
find the special silver polish though on the site. Must be there
somewhere @ £astronomical. After all non-audiofool silver polish
wouldn't be good enough for these plugs!

Well, time to get to the real world...now where did I put it?

John :-#)#

www.flippers.com
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

Peter Larsen wrote:
Phil Allison wrote:

[...]

It probably slipped down the back of the sofa. Still if nothing else
Russ has disproved the idea that all the rich are somehow *clever* and
*deserve* their wealth.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

William Sommerwerck wrote:

I bought an HDMI cable in Tottenham Court Road a couple of
months ago. The bloke wanted 19.95, and I said I wouldn't pay
that much. He asked what I would give, and I held out a fiver.
He was perfectly happy with the trade. I should have offered a quid.

My Pioneer Elite Kuro sits some distance from the player. I needed a 20'
HDMI cable. I bought MCM's house-brand cable for about $15. It works
perfectly, as far as I can tell.

I bought a 10' HDMI cable for $3.49 US on Ebay, delivered to move the
Sat receiver in my dad & step mom's bedroom. He was afraid that he or
my step mom would knock it, or the TV off of the chest of drawers. He
was skeptical because the local stores wanted $45 but when I stopped by
to install it, it worked perfectly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/270822459001

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in message
I bought an HDMI cable in Tottenham Court Road a couple of
months ago. The bloke wanted 19.95, and I said I wouldn't pay
that much. He asked what I would give, and I held out a fiver.
He was perfectly happy with the trade. I should have offered a quid.

My Pioneer Elite Kuro sits some distance from the player. I needed a 20'
HDMI cable. I bought MCM's house-brand cable for about $15. It works
perfectly, as far as I can tell.

I needed to run an HDMI connection from one room to another, so I bought a
couple of passive HDMI wallplates that simply break-out the HDMI pins to a
couple of IDC blocks which are then interconnected with two runs of Cat5
cable. With a run a about 15m between the wallplates this works flawlessly
with 1080p video.

David.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

"Phil Allison" wrote in message

"Arny Krueger"

I'm part of group that is readying two Audio Precision System One Dual
Domain measurement systems for market.

The units have exceptional provenance. They were owned by Stereo Review
Magazine and were the personal tools of Julian Hirsch. They still have
Hachette Publications property stickers on them.

** Has this unit got more value because of its provenance ?

Anyhow - here's a pic of one:

http://www.nessales.com/ebay/13318/A... Pic%20(0).JPG

That looks very much like one of the two units I have been working with. It
is the later model with optical digital I/O. The earlier version is
coax-based and used RCA jacks.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] rrusston@hotmail.com is offline

The British electrical standards are the dumbest on planet, or at
least the dumbest I have ever run into. Except for the Japanese, who
are combine the worst possible voltage standard with two different
frequencies.

In the US, we have two voltages in (all but really really old)
houses: 120 and 240, although most outlets are 120, the ranges,
clothes dryers and air conditioners are 240. And that 240 is balanced.
If we were SERIOUS audiophiles, we'd have 240 volt four pin dryer
outlets put in our listening rooms and run our power amps on 240.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Richard Tobin Richard Tobin is offline

If we were SERIOUS audiophiles, we'd have 240 volt four pin dryer
outlets put in our listening rooms and run our power amps on 240.

If you were a serious audiophile, you would not allow mains
electricity within a mile of your listening room. You would run your
amplifier on lead-acid batteries and your turntable would be a uranium
flywheel.

-- Richard
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

In the US, we have two voltages in (all but really really old)
houses: 120 and 240, although most outlets are 120, the ranges,
clothes dryers and air conditioners are 240. And that 240 is balanced.
If we were SERIOUS audiophiles, we'd have 240 volt four pin dryer
outlets put in our listening rooms and run our power amps on 240.

** Only if we were serious AUDIOPHOOLs - that is.

Home hi-fi installations can suffer from earth loop hum and transformer
radiated hum fields - neither of which is fixed by using "balanced power".

.... Phil

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Eiron[_2_] Eiron[_2_] is offline

On 03/01/2012 00:50, wrote:
The British electrical standards are the dumbest on planet, or at
least the dumbest I have ever run into.

From what I've seen, they are the best and safest standards of any country.
Just ask any toddler who has tried to poke a screwdriver into an outlet.

What's your problem with it? And how many of your American plugs are
hanging out of the socket with exposed pins and intermittent connections?

--
Eiron.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

"Eiron" wrote in message
: On 03/01/2012 00:50, wrote:
: The British electrical standards are the dumbest on planet,
or at
: least the dumbest I have ever run into.
:
: From what I've seen, they are the best and safest standards of
any country.
: Just ask any toddler who has tried to poke a screwdriver into
an outlet.

A toddler in the UK "Yeah! This game of sticking things in to
these plastic shapes in the wall is fun, lets do it again!"

A toddler in the USA (120v) "That tingles, not sure that I like
that..."

A toddler in the EU (240v) *flash, bang, wallop* "That hurt
daddy, why is my finger throbbing, why has the TV (or what ever
else is on the circuit) stopped working?"

:
: What's your problem with it? And how many of your American
plugs are
: hanging out of the socket with exposed pins and intermittent
connections?
:

Indeed, the North America attitude to electrical hardware is a
farce (only of the reasons why they are still plagued by high
numbers of electrical fires), but then so is the UK's BS* 1363
standard for plug/sockets, only in the UK -and those countries
that have copied the UK- is the final circuit protection so
designed that it is easy (for the end user) to defeat it either
through ignorance or wilful tampering, thus a device requiring
protection at 3 or 5 amps co so easily end up being actually
protected at 13 amps - or 30 amps in the case of wilful
tampering...
--
Regards, Jerry.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

wrote in message
The British electrical standards are the dumbest on planet, or at
least the dumbest I have ever run into. Except for the Japanese, who
are combine the worst possible voltage standard with two different
frequencies.

In the US, we have two voltages in (all but really really old)
houses: 120 and 240, although most outlets are 120, the ranges,
clothes dryers and air conditioners are 240. And that 240 is balanced.
If we were SERIOUS audiophiles, we'd have 240 volt four pin dryer
outlets put in our listening rooms and run our power amps on 240.

A very large number of countries run their mains supplies at 220-240V, not
just the UK! Electrical standards were not designed for the benefit of
audiophools, but in practice there's nothing wrong with the 230V standard in
this regard. The standard of electrical installations I've seen in the US
are far worse than those normally encountered here. And the high-powered
audio equipment I've seen in the US runs off 120V thus supplies requiring
heavy-guage mains flex. Definitely no improvement on what we have here!

David.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
David Looser David Looser is offline

"Jerry" wrote

: Just ask any toddler who has tried to poke a screwdriver into
an outlet.

A toddler in the UK "Yeah! This game of sticking things in to
these plastic shapes in the wall is fun, lets do it again!"

A toddler in the USA (120v) "That tingles, not sure that I like
that..."

A toddler in the EU (240v) *flash, bang, wallop* "That hurt
daddy, why is my finger throbbing, why has the TV (or what ever
else is on the circuit) stopped working?"

UK mains sockets have shutters, have you not noticed?
:
: What's your problem with it? And how many of your American
plugs are
: hanging out of the socket with exposed pins and intermittent
connections?
:

Indeed, the North America attitude to electrical hardware is a
farce

Agreed.

(only of the reasons why they are still plagued by high
numbers of electrical fires), but then so is the UK's BS* 1363
standard for plug/sockets, only in the UK -and those countries
that have copied the UK- is the final circuit protection so
designed that it is easy (for the end user) to defeat it either
through ignorance or wilful tampering, thus a device requiring
protection at 3 or 5 amps co so easily end up being actually
protected at 13 amps - or 30 amps in the case of wilful
tampering...
--

Have you any data to suggest that deaths or injuries are any worse here than
in countries that don't use BS1363 outlets? I was amazed to find in a modern

David.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Eiron[_2_] Eiron[_2_] is offline

On 03/01/2012 10:39, David Looser wrote:
wrote in message
The British electrical standards are the dumbest on planet, or at
least the dumbest I have ever run into. Except for the Japanese, who
are combine the worst possible voltage standard with two different
frequencies.

In the US, we have two voltages in (all but really really old)
houses: 120 and 240, although most outlets are 120, the ranges,
clothes dryers and air conditioners are 240. And that 240 is balanced.
If we were SERIOUS audiophiles, we'd have 240 volt four pin dryer
outlets put in our listening rooms and run our power amps on 240.

A very large number of countries run their mains supplies at 220-240V, not
just the UK! Electrical standards were not designed for the benefit of
audiophools, but in practice there's nothing wrong with the 230V standard in
this regard.

Can I just mention another example of European Union lunacy?
Voltage is standardized at 230v +- a fudge factor so that the UK
can keep to 240v and the rest of Europe can keep 220v with no plans
for any country to adopt 230v. Now that is dumb!

And the UK plugs are rather large. That would be a valid criticism.
It spoils the lines of a laptop bag....

--
Eiron.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

Eiron wrote:
And the UK plugs are rather large. That would be a valid criticism.
It spoils the lines of a laptop bag....

http://www.minkyu.co.uk/Site/Product...ug_System.html

Problem solved. HTH

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Eiron[_2_] Eiron[_2_] is offline

On 03/01/2012 11:15, John Williamson wrote:
Eiron wrote:
And the UK plugs are rather large. That would be a valid criticism.
It spoils the lines of a laptop bag....

http://www.minkyu.co.uk/Site/Product...ug_System.html

Problem solved. HTH

Still not in production?
Does it have a tendency to break and burst into flames?
Designed by a "designer" rather than by an engineer?

--
Eiron.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

"Eiron" wrote in message

Can I just mention another example of European Union lunacy?
Voltage is standardized at 230v +- a fudge factor so that the UK
can keep to 240v and the rest of Europe can keep 220v with no plans
for any country to adopt 230v. Now that is dumb!

I'm not sure it is so dumb
There always was a tolerance range on the UK 240V mains, what happened was
that these tolerance limits were widened and re-centred on 230V. But these
new limits are now EU-wide so any equipment manufactured to these new limits
(230V +/- 10%) is suitable for sale anywhere within the EU.

And the UK plugs are rather large. That would be a valid criticism.
It spoils the lines of a laptop bag....

I agree, the BS1363 plug is not my favourite design. Some years ago there
was a serious attempt to introduce a EU standard plug & socket, an attempt
that failed because of the NIH (not-invented-here) factor. I rather like the
German 'Shucko' socket and would be happy to see it replace the BS1363
socket here, but can you image the reaction of the Daily Mail readers? :-)

David.

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair

Eiron wrote:
And the UK plugs are rather large. That would be a valid criticism.
It spoils the lines of a laptop bag....

http://www.minkyu.co.uk/Site/Product...ug_System.html

Problem solved. HTH

Still not in production?
Does it have a tendency to break and burst into flames?
Designed by a "designer" rather than by an engineer?

Or this:-

http://www.slimplug.com/where.htm

Not *too* expensive, and sufficient for its rated use.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Jerry[_5_] Jerry[_5_] is offline

"David Looser" wrote in message
: "Jerry" wrote
:
: : Just ask any toddler who has tried to poke a screwdriver
into
: an outlet.
:
: A toddler in the UK "Yeah! This game of sticking things in to
: these plastic shapes in the wall is fun, lets do it again!"
:
: A toddler in the USA (120v) "That tingles, not sure that I
like
: that..."
:
: A toddler in the EU (240v) *flash, bang, wallop* "That hurt
: daddy, why is my finger throbbing, why has the TV (or what
ever
: else is on the circuit) stopped working?"
:
: UK mains sockets have shutters, have you not noticed?

Duh, never! In any case, what happens when this shutter fails, as
can happen, and thus that nice 'safe' electrical outlet becomes
(unknowingly) totally unprotected from such intrusion... Did you
actually bother to read what I said?

: :
: : What's your problem with it? And how many of your American
: plugs are
: : hanging out of the socket with exposed pins and
intermittent
: connections?
: :
:
: Indeed, the North America attitude to electrical hardware is
: farce
:
: Agreed.
:
[...]

But then people know that, in the UK appliances could actually be
protected at 30A (with old slow-blow fuse wire) but the person
using the appliance believes that it is protected at the correct
3A. Again I suspect that you didn't actually read (and
understand) what I said...

Posted to uk.tech.broadcast,uk.tech.digital-tv,rec.audio.tech,uk.rec.audio,sci.electronics.repair
Andy Burns Andy Burns is offline

John Williamson wrote:

Eiron wrote:

And the UK plugs are rather large. That would be a valid criticism.
It spoils the lines of a laptop bag....

http://www.minkyu.co.uk/Site/Product...ug_System.html

Problem solved. HTH

I doubt that design will ever fly ...

I see the thinplug.com is now in the shops, actually, I wish it wasn't
retractable ...

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/retrak...83932-pdt.html