Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Default Cracking open a Galaxy Audio PA amp

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

Arfa Daily wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message
m...

David Nebenzahl wrote:

I inherited a repair job that I can't get started because I can't get
the damn amp open.

It's a Galaxy Audio Core PA5X140 all-in-one PA. It's a tough little
unit, with a die-cast metal chassis set into a thick rugged plastic
(polypropylene?) case, that can sit on top of a mike stand. Similar to
this one: http://galaxyaudio.com/MSPA.jsp. The front of the chassis
has
6 screws into the case, and there's one on the back I removed, but I
still can't get the chassis out of the case. I tried prying the case,
thinking there might be some cast-in lugs I could open, but no luck,
and
I didn't want to risk chewing up the edge of the case.

Does anyone have any idea how to open up this unit?

At least no one has suggested a Plsma Cutter! ;-)

Nah! "Angle grinder" as they always say over on uk.d-i-y :-)

Angle grinders are for amateurs and wimps. It takes a real prow to
cut something open with a plasma cutter and still have anything left to
repair.

It's a standing joke on that group Michael. "Angle grinder" is the 'silly'
answer when anyone asks for instance how to dismantle a ceramic cartridge
shower valve to clean it, or anything referring to a 'delicate' job. British
humour, and all that ... :-)

And you still don't get American humor. ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
bob u bob u is offline

On 9/16/2010 7:19 AM, William Sommerwerck wrote:
Sure enough, removing the nut from the phone jack
allowed the whole unit to slip rather easily out of
the case

Sheesh. You "shoulda" known enough to do that,
at least. Good grief.

Its not really self evident that the jack is connected to
the PC board. When I took mine apart, I certainly did
NOT think it was that way. I eventually figured it out,
but it took a while. I assumed it was just a raw jack
connected with loose wires to the amplifier.

This sort of assembly is not that uncommon, as it reduces manufacturing
costs. It also makes testing the amplifier a bit easier. I've seen expensive
equipment that did the same thing, making the device virtually
unassembleable.

Its always a challenge these days to get apart some modern
"Unfixable"electronics. They really don't want you to fix them or
open them up. I sometimes get LCD monitors with issues that i
try to fix. Its always a game to figure out where on the case
the latches are on the clam shell and to pry and not bugger up
the case too much. I usually get them apart, but sometimes
there are "battle scars" in the process.

Even some remote controls are not the easiest things to open up.
I solved that by just giving them to my wife. She gets mad
and throws them at me and they mysteriously open up in parts...

the real fun is trying to get a power supply or such apart that
is spot welded together or glued. Thats more of a 50/50 deal
if you can get it apart without destroying it.

I like a good joke as much as anyone else. But when someone ask for help
and is maybe not a expert at least cut the guy some slack. Give an
answer and them make the smart comments.

bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Arny Krueger Arny Krueger is offline

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article
,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Sure enough, removing the nut
from the phone jack allowed the whole unit to slip
rather easily out of the case

Sheesh. You "shoulda" known enough to do that, at least.
Good grief.

I feel stupid for not suggesting removing the nuts on the phone jacks. I've
seen this done sooooo many times.

I can't remember the last time I saw a phone jack that *wasn't* soldered to
a circuit card.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

"thanatoid"
What a handle -- "the form of death".

Wow, I certainly DO appreciate you explaining
it to me! Sigh.

I wasn't explaining it... I was acknowledging it. Clever.

OK. Sorry. :-)

Oops! Sorry! %-# !!!

Not that clever, really, I was very depressed and suicidal for
most of my life. Recently I have been feeling better, but that's
another subject.

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
- 21st Century Humanoid
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

snip

Thanks for the first and only really helpful reply in this
whole damn thread.

You, sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. Sure enough,
removing the nut from the phone jack allowed the whole unit
to slip rather easily out of the case (I used a heavy knife
blade betwixt the case and chassis to start it).

WHAT? You did NOT do that when you removed all the screws? I
have not been reading the thread carefully ever since you
ignored my request for a photograph, but DUUH!

The amp appears to be fine; there's either a problem with
the XLR mike input jack, or with the mike cable we were
using. (Can't test because I have no XLR plugs.)

WHERE are you (as in, forest, garage with NO tools, an audio
shop run by Scientologists who believe the e-meter is the only
piece of electronic test equipment anyone needs) ????????

SIGH.

BTW, I have learned over the last 4 decades that it's ALWAYS the
cable (and if it's not, you **still** test any cables FIRST
before you do ANYTHING, including attempting to open an audio
box [when you should let your friends open your canned food for
you] let alone flooding an NG with clueless posts for a week),
and /had/ you posted like a person with a clue, I would have
told you to try another cable - I know you don't have one, BUY
one!

!!!!!!

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
- 21st Century Humanoid

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Doug Freyburger Doug Freyburger is offline

Michael A. Terrell wrote:
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Does anyone have any idea how to open up this unit?

At least no one has suggested a Plsma Cutter! ;-)

If you try brute force and it did not work, you were not using ENOUGH!
;^)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On 9/16/2010 6:57 AM Arny Krueger spake thus:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article ,
David Nebenzahl wrote:

Sure enough, removing the nut from the phone jack allowed the
whole unit to slip rather easily out of the case

Sheesh. You "shoulda" known enough to do that, at least. Good
grief.

I feel stupid for not suggesting removing the nuts on the phone jacks. I've
seen this done sooooo many times.

Oh, so I guess that means I'm *not* a total retard, eh? Thanks for that.

I can't remember the last time I saw a phone jack that *wasn't* soldered to
a circuit card.

Me neither. Now that I've disassembled this it makes perfect sense, as
it allows the amp to be put together in a neat package with no external
wires except for the power cord.

With the 6 front-panel screws and the phone-jack nut removed, it's
actually *very* easy to disassemble. Not a hard nut to crack at all,
like so much other plastic-packaged electronics.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On 9/16/2010 8:15 AM thanatoid spake thus:

[...]

Look, you little **** (and keep in mind that *you* were the first one in
this thread to use profanity): let me explain my situation for your
little pea-brain to understand.

I am not a professional electronics repairperson. I don't maintain a
repair shop, nor solicit repairs. This is why I own no XLR connectors:
normally I have absolutely no need for such things. I have no sound
equipment, microphones, etc. This one just landed in my lap. I used to
be in a band, the leader of which just recently died, and when we tried
to use this amp at a gig, it failed. I offered to diagnose it and
determine what was wrong with it.

I'm 99.99% sure that the problem is outboard of the jack connections on
the amp simply by doing the "touch the input connection and listen for
hum" test. The amp responded admirably well to this test, so I'm certain
it works. The problem, then, is obviously either the jack on the amp or
somewhere in the microphone cable being used. There wasn't enough time
to get another cable and test it.

So if you want to continue to berate me for some perceived slight
against the propriety of this newsgroup, which after all is supposed to
be a source of information for people seeking such, well then, go right
ahead and be my guest.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On 9/16/2010 8:06 AM thanatoid spake thus:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

"thanatoid"
What a handle -- "the form of death".

Wow, I certainly DO appreciate you explaining
it to me! Sigh.

I wasn't explaining it... I was acknowledging it. Clever.

OK. Sorry. :-)

Oops! Sorry! %-# !!!

Not that clever, really, I was very depressed and suicidal for
most of my life. Recently I have been feeling better, but that's
another subject.

I'm sorry to hear that (that you're feeling better, that is).

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Wot ! You mean there is such a thing ... ? d:-}

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On 9/16/2010 6:03 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

And you still don't get American humor. ;-)

Wot ! You mean there is such a thing ... ? d:-}

Nah, all our humor comes from the UK: Monty Python, Dame Edna, Eddy
Izzard, Tracy Ullman, etc.

Ackshooly, I've been saying for years that there are two types of
Americans distinguishable by their taste for Brit humor. One one side we
have the PBS-type humor, exemplified by "Are You Being Served?" (which I
despise); on the other are those who like Benny Hill. I'm in the latter
camp myself. (Hey, what's better than total slapstick? Worked for
Chaplin ...)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Jamie[_2_] Jamie[_2_] is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Sure, look who get elected as our leaders

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 9/15/2010 10:33 AM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

I'm sure most people in this group have noticed how remote
controls are generally held together with screws /and/ near-
unreleasable tabs. I've never understood why both are needed.

No, it's not, and you're misunderstanding the packaging here.

My point was about the /philosophy/ of the packaging. Why
belts+suspenders,
when only one is needed?

Ah, so. Actually describes my problem here quite well; why doesn't this
damn thing open up when I remove the screws, which seemed to hold the
thing together quite securely?

Perhaps it will.....Have you used sufficient force?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On 9/16/2010 6:26 PM Bill Graham spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

On 9/15/2010 10:33 AM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

I'm sure most people in this group have noticed how remote
controls are generally held together with screws /and/ near-
unreleasable tabs. I've never understood why both are needed.

No, it's not, and you're misunderstanding the packaging here.

My point was about the /philosophy/ of the packaging. Why
belts+suspenders, when only one is needed?

Ah, so. Actually describes my problem here quite well; why doesn't
this damn thing open up when I remove the screws, which seemed to
hold the thing together quite securely?

Perhaps it will.....Have you used sufficient force?

More force is definitely not the answer (despite the many jokes here
about dynamite, angle grinders, etc.)

The key was removing the nut around a phone jack on the back of the
case, which you'd know if you read through the rest of the thread.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Bill Graham Bill Graham is offline

"Jamie" t wrote in message
David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 9/15/2010 9:52 AM William Sommerwerck spake thus:

This product appears to be the pro-audio equivalent of most remote
controls.

I'm sure most people in this group have noticed how remote controls are
generally held together with screws /and/ near-unreleasable tabs. I've
never
understood why both are needed.

No, it's not, and you're misunderstanding the packaging here.

There's a diecast metal front panel which covers the entire front of the
unit, with a deeply set grille for the speaker. Six screws attach the
metal panel to the plastic cabinet.

The plastic cabinet is ONE PIECE, totally seamless, covering the
remaining 5 sides. So it's not a clamshell like most remotes or similarly
packaged electronics.

it most likely has a sealant between the front and plastic case to
prevent vibration at the seem, which is common with that type of
construction.. These things will stick like mild glue..

With the screws half way, wrap the unit in a soft wrap of some kind
like foam rubber so you don't scratch it, rest it on a pillow and use
something like a piece of wood to hit lightly against the screws that are
half way out.. The shock should push on the plastic behind and break
the bond!.

Yes.....Even if you were to crack the plastic, cracked plastic is a fairly
easy thing to fix, and/or live with. Consider cutting a large hole in the
back, which can later be covered with a glued- on piece of plastic, and used
as an inspection/access hole in the interim. ( I belong to the, "get a
bigger hammer" school of maintenance....:^)

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

The American equivalent is, "Get a bigger hammer".

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
[...]

As you probably know from reading my posts on other forums, David, I do my
emailing serially, and seldom have the time or inclination to, "Read the
rest of the thread." For one thing, I only get to email at all for a short
time each day, and I try, as far as I can, to be helpful during that short
time. I would think that you would be a little kinder to those of us who are
trying to help you with your problem.....You treat all of us like we are
just a bunch of smart asses, even though there are some of us who would
really like to help you.....If you would prefer, I can always put you in my
kill file, so I won't "waste your time" in the future.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Sure, but your senses have been dulled by a lifetime of exposure to
'British Humor' ;-)

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

If you need a bigger hammer, you ARE a redneck.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Even if you were to crack the plastic, cracked plastic
is a fairly easy thing to fix, and/or live with.

True, but cracking the case will sometimes crack the PC board. This happened
to me with an irreplaceable Toshiba remote.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
[...]

Look, you little ****

Is that the BEST you can do? C'mon! Work with me here!

(and keep in mind that *you* were the
first one in this thread to use profanity)

OMG! Profanity on the Usenet! My transgression is
unforgivable! Please have the mother****ing pigs come and
arrest me STAT!

let me explain my situation for your little pea-brain to
understand.

I have a HUGE head, I can never find a hat to fit me. And I
have an IQ of 134. Not THAT high, but odds /are/ it's higher
than yours. OTOH, head and brain size have nothing to do with
intelligence.

I am not a professional electronics repairperson.

Neither am I.

I don't
maintain a repair shop, nor solicit repairs.

Neither do I.

This is why I
own no XLR connectors: normally I have absolutely no need
for such things. I have no sound equipment, microphones,
etc.

I used to sing (using the term loosely) and play guitar
(etc.) in bands, so I have a ton of XLR (and other)
connectors and cables, etc. I understand not everyone has
such items on site.

This one just landed in my lap. I used to be in a
band, the leader of which just recently died, and when we
tried to use this amp at a gig, it failed.

It's not a bad idea to test other people's
instruments/equipment before using them, let alone WHEN DOING
A GIG.

And there were NO other cables on the stage at the time, huh?

I offered to diagnose it and determine what was wrong with
it.

Hmm. So you ALSO used to be in a band, and you don't have a
single XLR cable in the house?

Hmm. What kind of band?

I'm 99.99% sure that the problem is outboard of the jack
connections on the amp simply by doing the "touch the input
connection and listen for hum" test. The amp responded
admirably well to this test, so I'm certain it works.The
problem, then, is obviously either the jack on the amp
or somewhere in the microphone cable being used. There
wasn't enough time to get another cable and test it.

No, of course not.

So if you want to continue to berate me for some perceived
slight against the propriety of this newsgroup, which after
all is supposed to be a source of information for people
seeking such, well then, go right ahead and be my guest.

I am not berating you, I understand why you posted your
question here, but you or someone you know DO have a digital
camera, you DO know how to use the internet, and you SHOULD
HAVE CHECKED THE CABLE before spending a week trying to open
a box you are not qualified to look inside of!

WHAT were you expecting to find, a soldered cable connection
/inside a sealed enclosure/ which just /decided/ to come
undone for no reason whatsoever?

And, BTW - an e-meter (q.v.) CAN be used to test cables, as I
realized after posting. But I waited, hoping for an
entertaining reply - and I was NOT disappointed! ;-)

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
- 21st Century Humanoid
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

On 9/16/2010 8:06 AM thanatoid spake thus:

snip

Not that clever, really, I was very depressed and suicidal
for most of my life. Recently I have been feeling better,
but that's another subject.

I'm sorry to hear that (that you're feeling better, that
is).

In a way, so am I, BION.

(For one thing, I /may/ have to think of another nick, although
something tells me you - and dozens of other friends I have made
on the Usenet over the years - might like to help me out with
that daunting task... '****brain' is probably already taken, but
please feel free to suggest other suitable nicks!)

Anyway, it's not worth explaining depression to someone who
probably has little understanding of the ways of the human
brain, let alone of the mystifying intricacies of audio cable
construction.

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
- 21st Century Humanoid
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On 9/16/2010 8:30 PM thanatoid spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

I am not a professional electronics repairperson.

Neither am I.

I don't maintain a repair shop, nor solicit repairs.

Neither do I.

This is why I own no XLR connectors: normally I have absolutely no
need for such things. I have no sound equipment, microphones, etc.

I used to sing (using the term loosely) and play guitar
(etc.) in bands, so I have a ton of XLR (and other)
connectors and cables, etc. I understand not everyone has
such items on site.

Good. Sound reinforcement was never my responsibility even when I was in
this band.

This one just landed in my lap. I used to be in a
band, the leader of which just recently died, and when we
tried to use this amp at a gig, it failed.

It's not a bad idea to test other people's
instruments/equipment before using them, let alone WHEN DOING
A GIG.

The amp was not essential to the gig; we just wanted to use it to make
announcements during the performance, as it was also a memorial to the
founder of the band who had just died a week before. Since we were
playing in a relatively small room, we make do without.

And there were NO other cables on the stage at the time, huh?

Nope. We're an acoustic band, generally play without any sound
reinforcement at all.

I offered to diagnose it and determine what was wrong with
it.

Hmm. So you ALSO used to be in a band, and you don't have a
single XLR cable in the house?

Nope. You see a problem with that?

Hmm. What kind of band?

Eastern European and Balkan folk and popular (from a previous century)
music. Mostly totally obsolete music that most people haven't heard and
don't care about.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

thanatoid wrote:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

On 9/16/2010 8:06 AM thanatoid spake thus:

snip

Not that clever, really, I was very depressed and suicidal
for most of my life. Recently I have been feeling better,
but that's another subject.

I'm sorry to hear that (that you're feeling better, that
is).

In a way, so am I, BION.

(For one thing, I /may/ have to think of another nick, although
something tells me you - and dozens of other friends I have made
on the Usenet over the years - might like to help me out with
that daunting task... '****brain' is probably already taken, but
please feel free to suggest other suitable nicks!)

'Dimbulb' is already taken on most of the sci.electronics groups.
OTOH, he has 90 sock puppets you could steal. ;-)

Anyway, it's not worth explaining depression to someone who
probably has little understanding of the ways of the human
brain, let alone of the mystifying intricacies of audio cable
construction.

The same goes for pain 24/7.

enough left over to pay them.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Meat Plow[_3_] Meat Plow[_3_] is offline

On Thu, 16 Sep 2010 15:39:56 -0700, David Nebenzahl wrote:

On 9/16/2010 6:57 AM Arny Krueger spake thus:

"Smitty Two" wrote in message
news
In article , David
Nebenzahl wrote:

Sure enough, removing the nut from the phone jack allowed the whole
unit to slip rather easily out of the case

Sheesh. You "shoulda" known enough to do that, at least. Good grief.

I feel stupid for not suggesting removing the nuts on the phone jacks.
I've seen this done sooooo many times.

Oh, so I guess that means I'm *not* a total retard, eh? Thanks for that.

To those not willing to kiss ass, yes you still are a total retard

What a stupid ****..

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

snip

I used to sing (using the term loosely) and play guitar
(etc.) in bands, so I have a ton of XLR (and other)
connectors and cables, etc. I understand not everyone has
such items on site.

Good. Sound reinforcement was never my responsibility even
when I was in this band.

OK.

This one just landed in my lap. I used to be in a
band, the leader of which just recently died, and when we
tried to use this amp at a gig, it failed.

It's not a bad idea to test other people's
instruments/equipment before using them, let alone WHEN
DOING A GIG.

The amp was not essential to the gig; we just wanted to use
it to make announcements during the performance, as it was
also a memorial to the founder of the band who had just
died a week before. Since we were playing in a relatively
small room, we make do without.

OK. Still, next time, test something before you try to use it.

And there were NO other cables on the stage at the time,
huh?

Nope. We're an acoustic band, generally play without any
sound reinforcement at all.

OK. I sort of thought this may be the case. I suppose when you
played a larger venue, you would just use their PA system so did
not need to know anything about sound reinforcement at all.

I offered to diagnose it and determine what was wrong
with it.

Hmm. So you ALSO used to be in a band, and you don't have
a single XLR cable in the house?

Nope. You see a problem with that?

Slight. IMO, it is always good to know /a little/ about things
which, however occasionally, enter you field of vision.

Hmm. What kind of band?

Eastern European and Balkan folk and popular (from a
previous century) music. Mostly totally obsolete music that
most people haven't heard and don't care about.

Don't assume anything. I like medieval folk music as much as I
like The Sex Pistols /and/ The Carpenters. I do NOT care for
acoustic-guitar-based "folk songs" played by Californians, but a
lot of European folk music, Irish especially, is really cool.
/And/ Eastern-Eur.

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
- 21st Century Humanoid
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

"A. Baum" wrote in
news
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 03:30:00 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

Look, you little ****

Is that the BEST you can do? C'mon! Work with me here!

Yep that's the best that the Nebenzahl troll-bot imbecile
can do. What did you expect from someone who let a simple
1/4 jack nut defeat him for days LMAO!

You did make me laugh, but go easy on the guy. He seems OK. Not
everyone knows everything, especially people who post for help
in groups like this.

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
- 21st Century Humanoid
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On 9/17/2010 8:11 AM thanatoid spake thus:

David Nebenzahl wrote in
.com:

And there were NO other cables on the stage at the time,
huh?

Nope. We're an acoustic band, generally play without any
sound reinforcement at all.

OK. I sort of thought this may be the case. I suppose when you
played a larger venue, you would just use their PA system so did
not need to know anything about sound reinforcement at all.

Exactly. Which is the way we prefer it; we worry about our set lists and
the music. They get to worry about the sound system so that we don't
have to.

Hmm. So you ALSO used to be in a band, and you don't have
a single XLR cable in the house?

Nope. You see a problem with that?

Slight. IMO, it is always good to know /a little/ about things
which, however occasionally, enter you field of vision.

Oh, I *know* all about XLR and other connectors. I just don't happen to
*have* any around, since I don't need them.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
thanatoid thanatoid is offline

"A. Baum" wrote in
news
snip

Yep that's the best that the Nebenzahl troll-bot imbecile
can do. What did you expect from someone who let a simple
1/4 jack nut defeat him for days LMAO!

You did make me laugh, but go easy on the guy. He seems
OK. Not everyone knows everything, especially people who
post for help in groups like this.

He posts his know-it-all **** in other groups yet can't
figure out that you really need to remove every last
visible nut/screw/bolt/fastener before giving up. Sorry but
I find him an idiot and not just someone who knows less
than someone else.

I am new to these groups and I have not seen the other posts you
refer to.

I will withhold further comments besides stating that he does
not /appear/ to be "an idiot", which of course does not mean he
is /not/ one. But the same goes for everyone else, myself and
yourself included.

--
"Anytime I hear the word "culture", I reach for my iPad."
- 21st Century Humanoid
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 9/16/2010 6:03 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

And you still don't get American humor. ;-)

Wot ! You mean there is such a thing ... ? d:-}

Nah, all our humor comes from the UK: Monty Python, Dame Edna, Eddy
Izzard, Tracy Ullman, etc.

Ackshooly, I've been saying for years that there are two types of
Americans distinguishable by their taste for Brit humor. One one side we
have the PBS-type humor, exemplified by "Are You Being Served?" (which I
despise); on the other are those who like Benny Hill. I'm in the latter
camp myself. (Hey, what's better than total slapstick? Worked for Chaplin
...)

You really shouldn't dis 'Are You Being Served ?' It was an absolute
classic up there with the likes of Fawlty Towers ... The double entendre
with things like Mrs Slocombe's pussy, were really quite risque for British
TV at the time. Although I used to really enjoy Benny Hill for its pure
slapstick, the humour was much cruder than that of AYBS.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

David Nebenzahl wrote:

[...]

Well yes, but by the same token, we've just gotten rid of one load of jokers
in Blair followed by Brown and their cronies. The jury is still out on their
replacements, but not looking too promising so far ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

Wot ! You mean there is such a thing ... ? d:-}

Arfa

The American equivalent is, "Get a bigger hammer".

If you need a bigger hammer, you ARE a redneck.

Nah, that can't be right. A tour guide in Nevada told me that you could
recognise a redneck by his paddling pool being dug into the ground ...
:-)

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Arfa Daily Arfa Daily is offline

"A. Baum" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 15:14:07 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

"A. Baum" wrote in
news
On Fri, 17 Sep 2010 03:30:00 +0000, thanatoid wrote:

Look, you little ****

Is that the BEST you can do? C'mon! Work with me here!

Yep that's the best that the Nebenzahl troll-bot imbecile can do. What
did you expect from someone who let a simple 1/4 jack nut defeat him
for days LMAO!

You did make me laugh, but go easy on the guy. He seems OK. Not everyone
knows everything, especially people who post for help in groups like
this.

He posts his know-it-all **** in other groups yet can't figure out that
you really need to remove every last visible nut/screw/bolt/fastener
before giving up. Sorry but I find him an idiot and not just someone who
knows less than someone else.

And sometimes ones that are not visible. Just this week, I had a Sony
sort-of-portable thing on the bench. I took out every last obvious screw,
and no movement of the case halves at all. Then I discovered that the
speaker baffle was removable, and when removed, found two more screws behind
rubber bungs, When these were out, the case halves moved, but would still
not split. The final thing holding it together was the fact that the volume
pot was part of a board that remained in the rear case half, so its nut had
to come off. This fooled me for a few minutes, because I was expecting that
the control was part of the front board, and would come away with the front.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On 9/17/2010 6:42 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...

Ackshooly, I've been saying for years that there are two types of
Americans distinguishable by their taste for Brit humor. One one
side we have the PBS-type humor, exemplified by "Are You Being
Served?" (which I despise); on the other are those who like Benny
Hill. I'm in the latter camp myself. (Hey, what's better than total
slapstick? Worked for Chaplin
...)

You really shouldn't dis 'Are You Being Served ?' It was an absolute
classic up there with the likes of Fawlty Towers ... The double entendre
with things like Mrs Slocombe's pussy, were really quite risque for British
TV at the time. Although I used to really enjoy Benny Hill for its pure
slapstick, the humour was much cruder than that of AYBS.

Well, not to belabor the point *too* much, but Fawlty Towers was
absolutely sublime compared to either one of those other two shows.

And I have to hand it to your Brits: there has never been *anything* on
television to equal "The Prisoner", and I doubt there will be in my
lifetime.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Klaatu Klaatu is offline

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 9/16/2010 6:03 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

And you still don't get American humor. ;-)

Wot ! You mean there is such a thing ... ? d:-}

Nah, all our humor comes from the UK: Monty Python, Dame Edna, Eddy
Izzard, Tracy Ullman, etc.

Ackshooly, I've been saying for years that there are two types of
Americans distinguishable by their taste for Brit humor. One one side we
have the PBS-type humor, exemplified by "Are You Being Served?" (which I
despise); on the other are those who like Benny Hill. I'm in the latter
camp myself. (Hey, what's better than total slapstick? Worked for Chaplin
...)

And where do those who like "Absolutely Fabulous" fit in?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
Ron[_11_] Ron[_11_] is offline

On 18/09/2010 03:46, David Nebenzahl wrote:
[...]

Shame about the remake!

Ron
Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

On Sat, 18 Sep 2010 11:23:31 +0100, Ron
wrote:

[...]

That remark can be applied pretty much universally.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"Ron" wrote in message
[...]

Yes. That bordered on the criminal. I survived I think one and a half
episodes, before deleting it from my planner ...

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

"Klaatu" wrote in message
"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
.com...
On 9/16/2010 6:03 PM Arfa Daily spake thus:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

And you still don't get American humor. ;-)

Wot ! You mean there is such a thing ... ? d:-}

Nah, all our humor comes from the UK: Monty Python, Dame Edna, Eddy
Izzard, Tracy Ullman, etc.

Ackshooly, I've been saying for years that there are two types of
Americans distinguishable by their taste for Brit humor. One one side we
have the PBS-type humor, exemplified by "Are You Being Served?" (which I
despise); on the other are those who like Benny Hill. I'm in the latter
camp myself. (Hey, what's better than total slapstick? Worked for Chaplin
...)

And where do those who like "Absolutely Fabulous" fit in?

Ab Fab was a very 'special' kind of humour that would only ever have worked
with those four main characters, who sparked off each other in a unique way.
I think that this is often the case for why remakes, as well as covers of
classic songs, often don't work. The original story or song, is written with
an actor or set of actors or singer in mind, and because of this, work well,
and become classics. Often, you can hear a song or see a film for the first
time, and just know that it will still be playing in 30 years time.

There are of course exceptions to this, but they are so few as to admirably
prove the rule.

Arfa

Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech
[...]

Again, the actual humour in Fawlty Towers was not that 'classic'. It worked
so well because it was written by Cleese himself, in conjunction with Connie
Booth, with whom I understand he was having a relationship. The 'supporting'
actors were chosen carefully to 'fit in', and did so admirably well. Much of
the individual episodes were also ad-lib'd at the time of shooting, and
according to a documentary I saw about the making of it, most scenes were
little - if any at all - rehearsed. Cleese said that the episodes were
basically written on a week by week basis, and took on average no more than
10 minutes to conceive and structure, and produce the scripted dialogue for.
So what was actually produced, is a testament to the writing, acting, and
creativity skills of the main characters.

Interestingly, there was only ever 12 episodes. Everyone always thinks that
there was a lot more. Prunella Scales was actually amused by it all. She
said that over a very long career, she has played many many parts in TV,
film and theatre, including some really 'heavyweight' parts. And yet the one
thing that she is always remembered for, is her part as the long suffering
wife of Basil ...

Arfa

cracking/poppng sound simbill Car Audio 6 October 13th 05 04:46 PM
Floor makes cracking noise kleinebre Pro Audio 13 July 31st 05 12:34 AM
Galaxy 5000 RS - 2W Riptex Car Audio 0 December 21st 04 08:04 AM
Galaxy Hot Spot Sanbar Pro Audio 2 June 30th 04 01:51 PM