Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] outsor@city-net.com is offline

Default Is surround sound for music and home theater on its way out

This article points to another nail in the coffin of hifi. Multichannel
was the obvious next direction for music reproduction to take. It appears
that avenue is now dead or dying.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57...news&tag=title

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
news news is offline

wrote in message
This article points to another nail in the coffin of hifi. Multichannel
was the obvious next direction for music reproduction to take. It appears
that avenue is now dead or dying.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57...news&tag=title

I am making my own surround sound recordings right now, decodable with a
normal Dolby Pro Logic receiver. It mainly just gives me the audience
applause coming from where it belongs, but there is some ambience
contribution too. If you turn it off and go to stereo only, it sounds like
"the room just left the room."

I do this from a single point in space with 4 cardioids aimed N,E,S, & W.
But I am thinking I want to place the surround mikes further back in the
hall. Experimenting is educational and fun.

In any case, we ourselves may be the only source left some day. For pure
audio surround recordings I mean.

Gary Eickmeier

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Oregonian Haruspex Oregonian Haruspex is offline

On 2014-02-10 11:31:33 +0000, said:

This article points to another nail in the coffin of hifi. Multichannel
was the obvious next direction for music reproduction to take. It appears
that avenue is now dead or dying.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13645_3-57...news&tag=title

As far as I am aware, there has always been only a tiny amount of music
produced for surround sound anyway. If it was on life support from the
get-go, is it fair to say it's dying now? Personally I have never
bothered installing surround sound, instead concentrating on a good
stereo setup, just because it's difficult or impossible to get the
music I enjoy in surround sound anyway. Movies have a similar problem
- many titles make awfully poor use of surround sound so why bother
with it in order to just hear the occasionally odd noise?