Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default OK, need help from the car electrical gurus.....

As many of my questions to this group often are, this doesn't exactly have
anything to do with car audio. HOWEVER, I happen to know many of you know
TONS about a car's electrical system. More than I do.

Here's my problem, my 1999 Subaru Forrester has a new problem where the
tail-lights and front running lights remain on even when switched off and
the key removed. I have to disconnect the battery (which I HATE doing as I
lose all my presets on my Alpine like crossover settings, EQ, station
presets, ect., though for some reason my Sirius presets remain, hmmm) every
time I turn the car off or I'll run the battery dead (I have 5 farads of
capacitance so when I disconnect the neg. terminal of my battery, it's funny
because the lights will stay on for several seconds, and then just
eventually dim out). Of course my wife is convinced I'm responsible because
of all the aftermarket gear and wiring I have added to the car. But it
started just out of the blue, I hadn't done anything to it recently.

Any ideas as to where to look first for a problem? I have a pretty good
multimeter so all ideas are welcome.

Thanks guys,
Nick aka MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
SevenTwigs SevenTwigs is offline

On Sep 8, 2:49*pm, "MOSFET" wrote:
[...]

Check for a switch on your steering column, There should be one on
your forester. It is easily activated, it may have been bumped when
resetting the odometer.

If that's not it, a temporary solution would be to find the fuse for
those lights and pull it when you are done driving, that would be
safer and likely allow you to keep your radio settings.

good luck
CK
Posted to rec.audio.car
e-nigma[_2_] e-nigma[_2_] is offline

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

There may be a relay that is stuck closed.
Look near the battery or the fuse box (there may be one under the hood and
inside the car) and see if you can find the relay that controls those lights

Good luck

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default Thanks Guys....

I'll check those out. Thank you for the help. I can always count on this
group!

Nick

"e-nigma" wrote in message
g.com...

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
Captain_Howdy[_2_] Captain_Howdy[_2_] is offline

That's because Tina knows you're an idiot !!!

In article , "MOSFET"
wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

LOL That made Tina laugh. Although I know you're an ass and didn't mean it
in any cordial, joking, friendly way AT ALL, it was funny none the less.

MOSFET

wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
MOSFET MOSFET is offline

Default As if anyone gives a rip.....

It turns out the problem was simply the running lights were on and the
switch is somewhat hidden. They stay on even when the main headlight/fog
light switch is off or the car is turned off.

In other words, there was nothing wrong at all it turns out.

Thanks anyway,

MOSFET

Posted to rec.audio.car
jbclem jbclem is offline

I don't know if this applies to your car, but read this Suburu Forester
thread about a switch on top of the steering column...that can be
accidentally turned on (it controls the parking lights!).

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulle...ff-my-parking-
lights-798/

Hope this is it...

John

"MOSFET" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to rec.audio.car
bob wald bob wald is offline

i didnt read anything you posted but the last couple cars i
owned....the lights stay on afew minutes after you turn them if its
after you already stopped the engine.
headlights too.
even if you turn them off. after the engines off.

Paging Rotel gurus Fred Tech 0 March 8th 06 07:01 PM
Q. for our electronics gurus here Sean Conolly Pro Audio 12 May 21st 04 01:15 PM
Q. for our electronics gurus here Sean Conolly Pro Audio 0 May 19th 04 06:21 AM
Question for Output Transformer Gurus frank Vacuum Tubes 9 January 14th 04 05:08 PM
Networking gurus...help Jackson Car Audio 0 August 28th 03 03:03 PM