Posted to rec.audio.pro
[email protected] brian.ocarroll@virgin.net is offline

Default M-Audio 1418 Firewire - problems sourcing TI chipset interface

I need to run an M-Audio 1418 from a laptop which has a built in 4-pin
FireWire connection. Everything works fine in playback using Adobe
Audtion or Cubase, but recording does not work in any way reliably.

When recording, whatever the software, after a seemingly random
interval (ranging from a few seconds to up to 40 minutes) the
recording goes into a loop of maybe 256 samples in length, sometimes
other lengths. The nature of the loop is that the software continues
to record normally but the sample data reaching it repeats every 256
samples, creating a simple tone. This situation continues until, in
Cubase, the AISO drivers are released or, in Adobe Audition, the
recording is stopped. Recording can then be restarted and begins
working again.

Needless to say any workaround is impossible for live performances.

I've had it brought to my attention that a Texas Instruments chipset
is required to drive the FireWire interface in a manner that is
suitable for the M-Audio 1418 sound interface, and would be happy to
buy a PCMCIA card to provide that interface for the laptop. I have,
however, after several months of searching, been unable to come up
with a product with a TI chipset.

So, does anyone know where in the UK (or as an import?) I can source a
TI chipset in a FireWire interface in a PCMCIA format?

Or, does anyone recognise the symptoms and know of a good remedy?
Remember, this solution is for a laptop.

Many thanks in advance.