J.Koning

Default Curve tracer

Fellow rodents,

I'm looking for a (tube) curve tracer to buy or to build.

Ideas, links?

Rgds,
Jan.

Fabio Berutti

There are so many different tubes in the world that I think it's easier to
get a stabilised B+ supply, a stabilised bias supply and a DVM. Then make a
box with some different sockets wired to plug # 1, 2 etc. and "hard-wire"
it as required. Turn on the tube and measure everything with the DVM.
Since the shape of the curves for triodes and pentodes is known, a very
limited number of points is enough to trace each one. I'll make a clone of
an old Philips PWsomething stabilised PSU one of these days...

Ciao

Fabio

"J.Koning" ha scritto nel messaggio
Fellow rodents,

I'm looking for a (tube) curve tracer to buy or to build.

Ideas, links?

Rgds,
Jan.

Michael Squires

J.Koning wrote:
Fellow rodents,

I'm looking for a (tube) curve tracer to buy or to build.

Likethe Tektronix 5xx series, which turns up from time to time (most likely
at the Dayton Hamvention next month)?

Mike Squires
--

Mike Squires (mikes at cs.indiana.edu) 317 233 9456 (w) 812 333 6564 (h)
mikes at siralan.org 546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN 47408
J.Koning

"Fabio Berutti" wrote in message
There are so many different tubes in the world that I think it's easier to
get a stabilised B+ supply, a stabilised bias supply and a DVM. Then make

box with some different sockets wired to plug # 1, 2 etc. and "hard-wire"
it as required. Turn on the tube and measure everything with the DVM.
Since the shape of the curves for triodes and pentodes is known, a very
limited number of points is enough to trace each one. I'll make a clone

of
an old Philips PWsomething stabilised PSU one of these days...

Ciao

Fabio

That's the way I've been doing it.
Main difference: I used a XY recorder i.s.o. a DVM.
Vary/measure Va (X), measure Ic (Y), constant -Vg, -- one trace.
Same as above, step -Vg, --- next trace.
Main problem: Comparision between two or more tubes.
See-trough paper (or whaever it's called) works, but tiresome.
Also, whether manual or XY, both are too slow to go beyond max.Pa.
For that I'd fancy something capable of pulsed operation.

So, once again, ideas, links?

Rgds,
Jan.

J.Koning

"Michael Squires" wrote in message
Likethe Tektronix 5xx series, which turns up from time to time (most

likely
at the Dayton Hamvention next month)?

Mike Squires
--

Mike Squires (mikes at cs.indiana.edu) 317 233 9456 (w) 812 333 6564

(h)
mikes at siralan.org 546 N Park Ridge Rd., Bloomington, IN

47408

I've seen Tek curve tracers but I'm not sure they can do what I want.
Got any links sites where I can find details/spec's about them?
Alternatively, have you got the exact model number for a web search?

My problem with the Dayton Hamvention is the required ticket.
I'm in the Netherlands.

Rgds,
Jan.

J.Koning wrote:
[...]

My Tek tracer of choice is a 576. I've built adapters for it (plug in)
to check various audio tubes, and supply filament and screen
externally. It's capable of 1500 VDC and the only 'downside' for me is
not having hard copy print directly out (I'm working on that ;-)

-Robert
QTS
http://www.Braught.com

Alan Douglas

Hi,
Jan wrote:

That's the way I've been doing it.
Main difference: I used a XY recorder i.s.o. a DVM.
Vary/measure Va (X), measure Ic (Y), constant -Vg, -- one trace.
Same as above, step -Vg, --- next trace.
Main problem: Comparision between two or more tubes.
See-through paper (or whaever it's called) works, but tiresome.
Also, whether manual or XY, both are too slow to go beyond max.Pa.
For that I'd fancy something capable of pulsed operation.

The X-Y plotter works fine; I've used different colored pens for
each tube.

There's not much point in going beyond max plate dissipation since
you can't run the tube there anyway, though it would weed out weak
tubes with shorter expected lifetimes.

The only older model that will switch between two tubes is the
Tektronix 570. Later "transistor" tracers will work with tubes too,
but lack the switching, which requires biasing the "off" tube's grid
with -300V.

At the risk of blowing my own horn, there are several pages of
discussion on curve tracers in my book "Tube Testers and Classic
Electronic Test Gear."

Cheers, Alan
J.Koning

wrote in message
oups.com...

My Tek tracer of choice is a 576. I've built adapters for it (plug in)
to check various audio tubes, and supply filament and screen
externally. It's capable of 1500 VDC and the only 'downside' for me is
not having hard copy print directly out (I'm working on that ;-)

-Robert
QTS
http://www.Braught.com

I'll do a web search on the 576 and see what it can do.
Your "downside" would be mine too.
Your hard copy approach does'nt sound like the Tek/Polaroid approach.
Maybe modern day digital cam?
Could you shed some light regarding your approach?

Rgds,
Jan.

J.Koning

"Alan Douglas" adouglasatgis.net wrote in message

The X-Y plotter works fine; I've used different colored pens for
each tube.

To compare a few tubes colored pens work fine.
If a few becomes 3 it becomes troublesome though.
That's why I prefer having individual traces on "see trough paper".
Anyway, troublesome comparision remains.

There's not much point in going beyond max plate dissipation since
you can't run the tube there anyway, though it would weed out weak
tubes with shorter expected lifetimes.

Opposite to a theoretical/ideal load line, a practical load line may
well be outside the maxPa line. So, looking beyond limits may be
usefull apart from the "weeding" aspect you mentioned.
"Weeding" did'nt strike my mind before, good you mentioned it.

The only older model that will switch between two tubes is the
Tektronix 570. Later "transistor" tracers will work with tubes too,
but lack the switching, which requires biasing the "off" tube's grid
with -300V.

Has switching of Va i.s.o. -Vg been done?
What could be the disadvantage of switching Va?
Do 570's support "pulsed operation"?
If so, what's the range of pulse time & duty cycle?

At the risk of blowing my own horn, there are several pages of
discussion on curve tracers in my book "Tube Testers and Classic
Electronic Test Gear."

What's the ISBN?

Switching between tubes on a scope screen is a good way for
(momentary visual) compararision, enables to look beyond
limits, but prohibits decent data recording.
Also, looking beyond limits requires a quite complex test rig.
OTOH, XY recording, more or less, enables decent data
recording but prohibits looking beyond limits.
Here's my dilemma....
Any thoughts?

Rgds,
Jan.

Cheers, Alan

J.Koning wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

My Tek tracer of choice is a 576. I've built adapters for it (plug

in)
to check various audio tubes, and supply filament and screen
externally. It's capable of 1500 VDC and the only 'downside' for me

is
not having hard copy print directly out (I'm working on that ;-)

-Robert
QTS
http://www.Braught.com

I'll do a web search on the 576 and see what it can do.
Your "downside" would be mine too.
Your hard copy approach does'nt sound like the Tek/Polaroid approach.
Maybe modern day digital cam?
Could you shed some light regarding your approach?

Rgds,
Jan.

Digital camera, w/local dedicated PC connected to my intranet. Writing
Visual Basic scripts to automate capture using a Dataq Instruments
input board for 'save', 'log' etc input switches; there are also four
channels of low res A/D input on the Dataq board that I'm trying to
setup for additional data to be saved with each 'picture'. I want to
push one button, period, and have a chart print on my intranet
connected HP printer as well as automatic file capture w/date/time
stamp etc. Project I started two years ago, 'time permitting' I'll
finish this summer. I'd *love* to 'sell' folk a chart with each
'premium' vacuum tube purchase!

FYI Mr. Alan Douglas's book, which I independantly, highly, recommend
('Tube Testers and Classic Electronic Test Gear': I always carry a copy
with me to hamfests/swap meets) has an ISBN of 1-886606-14-5 (pbk.)

HTH-
-Robert
QTS
http://www.Braught.com
'Winner of the April 1st Manly Meter contest on
Rec.Antiques.Radio+Phono'

Patrick Turner

" wrote:

J.Koning wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Some URLs for tube curve tracers i have found :-

http://www.studiomaudio.com/curvetracer.html
their index page is
http://www.studiomaudio.com/index.html

http://www.soundpractices.com/17/DOUGLAS.PDF

http://www.hagtech.com/vacutrace.html

And *****BTW********, for a useful thing in anyone's
workshop, try a gadget that alllows a PC to be used for
a dual trace oscilliscope, meter, spectrum analyser,
etc etc etc, at
http://www.picotech.com/picoscope-os...-software.html
A free download demonstration program is at
http://www.picotech.com/download.html

http://www.davidberning.com/Transfer%20Char.htm

http://www.tech-diy.com/MCTracer_no_...er_feb6_04.htm

http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/sam/semitest.htm#stvac

http://www.opcurves.com/curvetracer/

Patrick Turner.

J.Koning

"Patrick Turner" wrote in message

Some URLs for tube curve tracers i have found :-

http://www.etc-etc-etc-etc.com/

Patrick Turner.

That will fill the night...

Rgds,
Jan.

Marty Dippel

On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:10:48 +0200, J.Koning wrote:

Fellow rodents,

I'm looking for a (tube) curve tracer to buy or to build.

Ideas, links?

Rgds,
Jan.

Seems to me that Vacuum Tube Valley magazine was at one time
advertising one of recent design (NOT Tek) for around $1000.

I can't find it on their site today (www.vacuumtube.com) nor
does a Google serach for "Vacuum Tube Curve Tracer" turn up
much of any intererst.

If you have a collection of old VTV issues, try looking through
the period of a couple years ago.

I wonder if this was vaporware, or if the guy making them
went under, or ??? But an old issue of VTV ought to give you
a contact- perhaps they person making these would either sell
plans or a completed unit. Seems to me he was selling them in
kit form, too.

When I get home tonight (I'm at work today) I'll see if I can
find something more definite for you.

Marty

Marty Dippel

Ah! Here it is:

http://www.hagtech.com/vacutrace.html

Hagerman Technology, Vacu-Trace, $1295 (gulp!)
They're out of Hawaii, so there's the issue of shipping...

Marty