Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Default free EQ match plug in for Audacity?

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a free plug-in that will match
one track's EQ to another? I was hoping to find something for Audacity,
either on Ubuntu or Win. The closest Audacity one I came across seemed
to be experimental at best and difficult to work with so was hoping to
find something better. I'll download a ten day trial, like for Ozone 7,
if I have to if no other choice, but thought I'd check out any possible
options first.

Thanks in advance,
Jon
Posted to rec.audio.pro
geoff geoff is offline

On 5/05/2019 4:04 AM, JBI wrote:
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a free plug-in that will match
one track's EQ to another?Â* I was hoping to find something for Audacity,
either on Ubuntu or Win.Â* The closest Audacity one I came across seemed
to be experimental at best and difficult to work with so was hoping to
find something better.Â* I'll download a ten day trial, like for Ozone 7,
if I have to if no other choice, but thought I'd check out any possible
options first.

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Match an overall EQ pf one track to another track, or simply copy the
same settings of one track to another.

If the latter simply save one track's plugin EQ setting as a preset.

geoff
Posted to rec.audio.pro
James Price[_5_] James Price[_5_] is offline

On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 2:51:10 AM UTC-5, geoff wrote:

Match an overall EQ pf one track to another track, or simply copy the
same settings of one track to another.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the former.
Posted to rec.audio.pro
Scott Dorsey Scott Dorsey is offline

In article ,
James Price wrote:
On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 2:51:10 AM UTC-5, geoff wrote:

Match an overall EQ pf one track to another track, or simply copy the
same settings of one track to another.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the former.

That's really kind of a misguided idea.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 05/05/2019 22:13, Scott Dorsey wrote:
In article ,
James Price wrote:
On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 2:51:10 AM UTC-5, geoff wrote:

Match an overall EQ pf one track to another track, or simply copy the
same settings of one track to another.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the former.

That's really kind of a misguided idea.
--scott

What can be done, is to match the frequency spectra of two recordings in
a attempt to make them sound similar.

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/t...atch-eq-584814

--
Tciao for Now!

John.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

James Price wrote:
On Sunday, May 5, 2019 at 2:51:10 AM UTC-5, geoff wrote:

Match an overall EQ pf one track to another track, or simply copy the
same settings of one track to another.

I'm pretty sure he's referring to the former.

That's really kind of a misguided idea.

What can be done, is to match the frequency spectra of two recordings in
a attempt to make them sound similar.

https://www.musicradar.com/reviews/t...atch-eq-584814

Yes, but it doesn't necessarily make them sound similar. It's apt to
do more damage than good. The spectral envelope comes out of the
arrangement and instruments as much as the recording.

Yes, I know people sell gadgets to do this, but people also sell lots
of similarly misguided things. Brown dye to put on your scalp to hide
your bald spot? You can buy it, and it does what the label claims, but
it's as bad an idea as these plugins.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
gray_wolf gray_wolf is offline

On 5/5/2019 2:51 AM, geoff wrote:
On 5/05/2019 4:04 AM, JBI wrote:
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone here knows of a free plug-in that will match one
track's EQ to another?Â* I was hoping to find something for Audacity, either on
Ubuntu or Win.Â* The closest Audacity one I came across seemed to be
experimental at best and difficult to work with so was hoping to find
something better.Â* I'll download a ten day trial, like for Ozone 7, if I have
to if no other choice, but thought I'd check out any possible options first.

Thanks in advance,
Jon

Match an overall EQ pf one track to another track, or simply copy the same
settings of one track to another.

If the latter simply save one track's plugin EQ setting as a preset.

geoff

~ 20 years Steinberg, I think, had a plugin that would match a target sound
track to the master track. IIRC it work on unrelated tracks.

Posted to rec.audio.pro

On 5/5/2019 9:53 PM, gray_wolf wrote:
~ 20 years Steinberg, I think, had a plugin that would match a target
sound track to the master track. IIRC it work on unrelated tracks.

It faded out of popularity when people found out that it couldn't make
their guitar solo sound like the one on a famous record.

I think the idea was to use it on a mix (which could be a mix of the
drum mics) to match the overall tone of a target song, sort of like one
of the many small tweaks that have become part of "mastering." I don't
know if it worked for that in a useful way.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
JBI JBI is offline

Just wanted to update here. Audacity had an "experimental" EQ match
plug in that I tried. It seems to work ok, but I was better off just
using different source material with better SN ratio, although I do now
have the plug in installed for future reference. Thanks for your responses.
Posted to rec.audio.pro

On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 5:51:46 AM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/5/2019 9:53 PM, gray_wolf wrote:
~ 20 years Steinberg, I think, had a plugin that would match a target
sound track to the master track. IIRC it work on unrelated tracks.

It faded out of popularity when people found out that it couldn't make
their guitar solo sound like the one on a famous record.

It's still popular for matching the tone of an individual track (frequently guitar) rather than an entire mix.

Posted to rec.audio.pro
Ralph Barone[_3_] Ralph Barone[_3_] is offline

James Price wrote:
On Monday, May 6, 2019 at 5:51:46 AM UTC-5, Mike Rivers wrote:
On 5/5/2019 9:53 PM, gray_wolf wrote:
~ 20 years Steinberg, I think, had a plugin that would match a target
sound track to the master track. IIRC it work on unrelated tracks.

It faded out of popularity when people found out that it couldn't make
their guitar solo sound like the one on a famous record.

It's still popular for matching the tone of an individual track
(frequently guitar) rather than an entire mix.

Wouldnt there still be obvious problems just based on what notes are being
played on the two tracks? Lets say that I love the sound that JimBob
MetalGod got playing power chords on the bottom strings of his guitar, but
Im strumming all six strings. Wouldnt such a plug-in suck all the treble
out of my track to match the absence of high frequencies in the reference
track?