john s

Default Marantz CDR300 CD Recorder

I recently purchased a new CDR300 from a dealer over Ebay. I say he is
a dealer only because he forwarded my order to marantz to be
processed. Payed $610.00 with shipping.

The return address on the shipping box reads

Deddie Kennedy
(630) 741 0330
Marantz Professionals
1100 Maplewood Dr.
Itasca Il. 60143-3205

The reason for relaying this info is simple. Can you say "factory
direct discount". I'm not sure this is the case, but for any one
interested in buying a new CDR300, it might be worth a phone call.

As to the operations and quality of the recoder, I found it easy to
use and pretty solid build. Not as solid as a Mackie board, but handle
it with care and it should last a good long time. It fits in my padded
labtop case.

One of the really neat features, you can record directly to CD-R or
CD-RW. CD-RW is more economical, because you can keep re-recording on
the same disc. Then burn an audio CD form your computer. Many CD
players don't play CD-RW, so in that case you can just record direct
to CD-R from the CDR300.

I have read some negative feedback about the build in mic preamps. And
yes, there are a little bit noisy. After owning a Mackie 1202 Pro, I
must say it was a little bit quieter than the Marantz. But for my
needs, (recording classical strings), the CDR300 is just fine. It sure
beats lugging a Mackie board to the gig!

Another nice feature, DC plug for battery power. This a great idea,
because I hate being a slave to a dang AC plug! Ok, I could bring a 50
foot extension cord and two 50 foot mic cables. But this that really
"portable"?

The battery pack and charger runs $170.00. But after speaking to a
Marantz tech, Im told the battery is a simple 12-volt 7-amp lead acid
battery. That cost like $15.00. The charger is a "universal" for lead
acids, $16.00.
However, Marantz has decided to fit an odd style DC plug on the back
of the unit?! I believe it is a DIN 4-pin plug. But it looks a little
"asymetrical"
No prob, I will remove the plug and replace it with a more standard
one. (sure to void the warranty). So I will keep the old plug just in
case! Hey, if I get the same battery/charger for $40.00 as opposed to
$170.00?! The manual has a diagram of the pin-outs. The two outer pins
are used for +/-.

Overall a really neat little machine.

Thanks, John Stuart..
Kurt Albershardt

john s wrote:

Another nice feature, DC plug for battery power. This a great idea,
because I hate being a slave to a dang AC plug! Ok, I could bring a 50
foot extension cord and two 50 foot mic cables. But this that really
"portable"?

The battery pack and charger runs $170.00. But after speaking to a
Marantz tech, Im told the battery is a simple 12-volt 7-amp lead acid
battery. That cost like $15.00. The charger is a "universal" for lead
acids, $16.00.
However, Marantz has decided to fit an odd style DC plug on the back
of the unit?! I believe it is a DIN 4-pin plug. But it looks a little
"asymetrical"

That's a standard 4-pin XLR plug, used all over the video industry for
12V power http://www.marantzpro.com/Products/i...CDR300back.jpg

You can buy a plug for under $4
http://www.markertek.com/MTStore/pro...BaseItem=NC4FX

No prob, I will remove the plug and replace it with a more standard
one. (sure to void the warranty). So I will keep the old plug just in
case!

Please don't do this.

john s

Kurt Albershardt wrote in message ...
john s wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the heads-up, I found the plu