Clyde Slick

Default Morbid Katrina predicitons

10,000 dead
French Quarter gone
500,000 homeless
Most of Greater New Orleans uninhabitable for at least 30 days
Unsecured industrial toxic waste gets spread through the muck
in several Gulf Coast cities.

I hope I am not being too optimistic.

any other guesses?

Robert Morein

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message
10,000 dead
French Quarter gone
500,000 homeless
Most of Greater New Orleans uninhabitable for at least 30 days
Unsecured industrial toxic waste gets spread through the muck
in several Gulf Coast cities.

I hope I am not being too optimistic.

any other guesses?

This is a question of "do we trust the experts", or do we trust common
sense?
Experts feel obliged to speak to the worst, because there is little risk in
evacuation, but much in staying.
"Common sense", or lack of it, is what causes people to rely on their
previous experiences, rather than understanding.

But experts are not always right. My hope is that, somehow, it will fizzle.

The worst case prediction is that New Orleans will be destroyed as a city.
Would it be wise to rebuild in the same location, with the same
vulnerability?

If I take the expert opinion literally, New Orleans will cease to be, and
will not be restored. A smaller city with a specific economic focus may be
constructed on the natural levees, with additional landfill. A million
Americans will be refugees. The New Orleans of legend and song will vanish
tomorrow, forever.

Clyde Slick

"Robert Morein" wrote in message

"Clyde Slick" wrote in message
10,000 dead
French Quarter gone
500,000 homeless
Most of Greater New Orleans uninhabitable for at least 30 days
Unsecured industrial toxic waste gets spread through the muck
in several Gulf Coast cities.

I hope I am not being too optimistic.

any other guesses?

This is a question of "do we trust the experts", or do we trust common
sense?
Experts feel obliged to speak to the worst, because there is little risk
in
evacuation, but much in staying.
"Common sense", or lack of it, is what causes people to rely on their
previous experiences, rather than understanding.

This could be beyond previous experience.
I know that networks forecast doom and gloom and catastrophe
to enhance ratings, but this looks like really bad news.

But experts are not always right. My hope is that, somehow, it will
fizzle.

The worst case prediction is that New Orleans will be destroyed as a city.
Would it be wise to rebuild in the same location, with the same
vulnerability?

If I take the expert opinion literally, New Orleans will cease to be, and
will not be restored.

I didn't get that from the reports.
One interesting perspective they talked about was that 'already' dead
bodies will become floaters.

A smaller city with a specific economic focus may be
constructed on the natural levees, with additional landfill. A million
Americans will be refugees. The New Orleans of legend and song will vanish
tomorrow, forever.

pyjamarama

Clyde Slick wrote:
10,000 dead
French Quarter gone
500,000 homeless
Most of Greater New Orleans uninhabitable for at least 30 days
Unsecured industrial toxic waste gets spread through the muck
in several Gulf Coast cities.

I hope I am not being too optimistic.

any other guesses?

Saints finish season with losing record.

Jim Haslett fired.

Robert Morein

[...]

Take a look at
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...11/ai_68642805.
Fortunately, it appears the experts were wrong about this particular
hurricane.