MikeE MikeE is offline
Junior Member

Default Too Much Power???

Hi Folks,

My partner and I just finished our first home audio install. Everything looks beautiful and lovely but when we go to test the reciever we seem to be " overpowering" the reciever pretty much immediatley once we turn up the volume. We have 4 sets of in cieling speakers - 8ohm- 35watt rms/ 70 watts max and one set of out door speakers - 8ohm- 35watt rms/ 70 watts all being ran into The Quest SWP4 In-Wall 4-Pair Speaker Wall Plate running out to our Pioneer VSX-515 reciever. Any thoughts?

Ive asked a couple techs and they have said that the reciever needs to be changed to a high a voltage reciever. Iam starting to lean that way but thought I'd get some more opinions first.

Thanks, MikeE
The "Rookie"
Brandon Anderson

Uhm, what exactly do you mean by "overpowering?" From the sound of
it, you're probably running below the minimum impedance of the amp.
Look on the back and see how many ohms each of the outputs are and how
many of these 8 ohm speakers you have. You need to be at or above the
minimum impedance of the amp. For example, two 8-ohm speakers in
parallel is 4 ohms, 4 is 2 ohms, etc. If this is the problem, then
the cheapest solution is to run in series by tying together the + of
one run with the - of the next, and so on, so that only one positive
and one negative are actually connected to the amp. The High Voltage
system would make expandability easier, but if this is a permanent
install, then it may not be worth the extra expense.

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 13:25:14 +0100, MikeE
wrote:

Hi Folks,

My partner and I just finished our first home audio install. Everything
looks beautiful and lovely but when we go to test the reciever we seem
to be " overpowering" the reciever pretty much immediatley once we turn
up the volume. We have 4 sets of in cieling speakers - 8ohm- 35watt rms/
70 watts max and one set of out door speakers - 8ohm- 35watt rms/ 70
watts all being ran into The Quest SWP4 In-Wall 4-Pair Speaker Wall
Plate running out to our Pioneer VSX-515 reciever. Any thoughts?

Ive asked a couple techs and they have said that the reciever needs to
be changed to a high a voltage reciever. Iam starting to lean that way
but thought I'd get some more opinions first.

Thanks, MikeE
The "Rookie"

MikeE MikeE is offline
Junior Member

What I ment was that once I powered on the reciever it was instantaneously say "overload" and shut down. I changed the jumper settings on the back of my volume controls and everything was working fine. Unfortunately when I hooked up the outside speakers I still get the same result. I swaped out that volume control to no avail....I may have a pinch in the outside wire unless somebody has any other suggestions?

Thanks
MikeE
The "Rookie"

Quote: