Rusty Boudreaux

Default Theoretical maximum SPL at STP

"Richard D Pierce" wrote in message

Dick,

Thanks for the great explanation and examples. I've always
enjoyed your style of cutting through the bull**** and getting
down to the basic theory. I get so tired of the religion of high
end audio...

One note. I think you meant 10^-12 watt/m^2 instead of 10^12
W/m2 but that's okay, I had my thinking cap on today

Don,

Thanks for the pascal 0dB reference. That seems to work out to
210 dB = 20LOG(x/20uPa). So x is about 632kPa or 6.2 atmospheres
(a 78psi variation). So just like Dick said a volume change of
about 6:1.

Thanks guys,
-Rusty B.

Rich Andrews

"Rusty Boudreaux" wrote in news:vl04jr64h1o535
@corp.supernews.com:

"Richard D Pierce" wrote in message

Dick,

Thanks for the great explanation and examples. I've always
enjoyed your style of cutting through the bull**** and getting
down to the basic theory. I get so tired of the religion of high
end audio...

One note. I think you meant 10^-12 watt/m^2 instead of 10^12
W/m2 but that's okay, I had my thinking cap on today

Don,

Thanks for the pascal 0dB reference. That seems to work out to
210 dB = 20LOG(x/20uPa). So x is about 632kPa or 6.2 atmospheres
(a 78psi variation). So just like Dick said a volume change of
about 6:1.

Thanks guys,
-Rusty B.

I wonder what the biological effects would be if a body were exposed to a
SPL of that magnitude for say 30 seconds.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."

Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Technology and the Future"

Richard D Pierce

In article ,
Rusty Boudreaux wrote:
"Richard D Pierce" wrote in message

Dick,

Thanks for the great explanation and examples. I've always
enjoyed your style of cutting through the bull**** and getting
down to the basic theory. I get so tired of the religion of high
end audio...

One note. I think you meant 10^-12 watt/m^2 instead of 10^12
W/m2 but that's okay, I had my thinking cap on today

Yes, 10^-12 W/m^2 is the 0 dB reference. Sorry for the typo.

--
| Dick Pierce |
| Professional Audio Development |
Rich Andrews

(Richard D Pierce) wrote in news:biq817$enr$1
@pcls4.std.com:

:

"Richard D Pierce" wrote in message

Dick,

Thanks for the great explanation and examples. I've always
enjoyed your style of cutting through the bull**** and getting
down to the basic theory. I get so tired of the religion of high
end audio...

One note. I think you meant 10^-12 watt/m^2 instead of 10^12
W/m2 but that's okay, I had my thinking cap on today

Don,

Thanks for the pascal 0dB reference. That seems to work out to
210 dB = 20LOG(x/20uPa). So x is about 632kPa or 6.2 atmospheres
(a 78psi variation). So just like Dick said a volume change of
about 6:1.

Thanks guys,
-Rusty B.

I wonder what the biological effects would be if a body were exposed to

SPL of that magnitude for say 30 seconds.

Well, consider that as a static pressure, 6 atmospheres is
equivalent to a 180 foot-deep dive in the ocean, so, in and of
itself, the pressure isn't so much the issue, it's the first
derivative WRT time that's the killer. Consider that
shock wave overpressures of a couple of atmospheres are
considered NOT very benign.

I was thinking also about the effects of hearing loss and possibly other
effects from being exposed to SPL's of 210db for a period of time. My
guess is that SPL's of that magintude would cause permaent, immediate, and
permanent hearing loss.

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from
magic."

Arthur C. Clarke (1917 - ), "Technology and the Future"

dangling entity

Rich Andrews wrote in message . 3.44...

I wonder what the biological effects would be if a body were exposed to a
SPL of that magnitude for say 30 seconds.

Isn't there a device used in liposection that uses acoustic waves? It
uses ultrasonic waves, of course, but I wonder what the effective SPL
is on the tip of that thing? I just thought this would be an
interesting note considering that this thing *dissolves fat deposits*
into a liquid goop on contact.

Stewart Pinkerton

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:15:19 +0000 (UTC),
(Richard D Pierce) wrote:

In article ,
Rich Andrews wrote:
[...]

I am familiar with an anti-tank round which is designed to generate a
5 atm concussive overpressure inside the target vehicle. This is
considered adequate to crush skulls, rupture lungs and cause instant
death.

Harvey Gerst

(Stewart Pinkerton) wrote:

On Sat, 30 Aug 2003 13:15:19 +0000 (UTC),

(Richard D Pierce) wrote:

In article ,
Rich Andrews wrote:
[...]

Kids can almost get to that point nowadays with a lot of 18" subwoofers in their
vans. Darwin's theory of "natural selection" in action.

Harvey Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio
http://www.ITRstudio.com/