WideGlide

Default Lexicon website? - PCM 42 repair?

Hello,

After searching around, I cannot seem to find the Lexicon pro audio website.
I found a Lexicon home theater product website at lexicon.com, but no links
to the pro audio stuff. (???)

I can't remember whether or not Lexicon still supports the PCM 42. If they
don't, I seem to remember that at their website they had recommended a
certain repair shop to handle older unsupported Lexicon products.

I have a PCM 42 and PCM 41 that work, but sonically they are ailing. The
delay output signal is low, a tiny bit distorted and poor tone. I compared
my units to a friend's super mint original PCM 41 and his sounded way
better. I guess my units need some service.... perhaps caps, or...?

In anycase, I wish to have my units repaired by a reputable source. Any
info regarding this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks - wg

Buster Mudd

That's now at http://www.lexiconpro.com

I can't remember whether or not Lexicon still supports the PCM 42. If they
don't, I seem to remember that at their website they had recommended a
certain repair shop to handle older unsupported Lexicon products.

I have a PCM 42 and PCM 41 that work, but sonically they are ailing. The
delay output signal is low, a tiny bit distorted and poor tone. I compared
my units to a friend's super mint original PCM 41 and his sounded way
better. I guess my units need some service.... perhaps caps, or...?

In anycase, I wish to have my units repaired by a reputable source. Any
info regarding this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Bob Sellon (former Lexicon employee, original designer of the JamMan)
used to be an incredible resource for this sort of thing. (He also
designed an amazing memory expansion upgrade for the 42 that David
Torn & Bill Frisell still use.) Sellon's still got some info at
http://www.stecrecords.com/gear/pcm42/index.htm, but I've heard he's
gotten out of the hands-on repair & upgrade end of things.

Also might want to try http://www.jimfabiano.com/ Sellon recommends
him, though I've never had any direct experience with him.
Justin Ulysses Morse

WideGlide wrote:

After searching around, I cannot seem to find the Lexicon pro audio website.
I found a Lexicon home theater product website at lexicon.com, but no links
to the pro audio stuff. (???)

I can't remember whether or not Lexicon still supports the PCM 42. If they
don't, I seem to remember that at their website they had recommended a
certain repair shop to handle older unsupported Lexicon products.

I have a PCM 42 and PCM 41 that work, but sonically they are ailing. The
delay output signal is low, a tiny bit distorted and poor tone. I compared
my units to a friend's super mint original PCM 41 and his sounded way
better. I guess my units need some service.... perhaps caps, or...?

In anycase, I wish to have my units repaired by a reputable source. Any
info regarding this subject would be greatly appreciated.

I have a print-out of all the PCM42 schematics, which were downloaded
from the Lexicon site not too long ago (maybe a year or two). Dunno if
they're still there. Jim Fabiano sells schematics and manuals for a
lot of money. Yours has an analog problem. It could just need a
recap, though it seems like the low-pass filters on the DACs in all the
old Lexi gear has a tendency to crap out. I had a 200 reverb in here
with the same problem, and I found that it is not possible to find
replacements for these custom potted filter modules. So I built a very
simple passive RC filter in its place. The owner of the reverb agreed
that it was actually a substantial improvement in tone. Apparently a
little aliasing on the output is better than a steep, harsh, phasey
brick-wall filter. I suspect that's what designers of modern
converters have determined as well. Feel free to e-mail me for more
info.

ulysses