Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jerry Jerry is offline

Default Bi-amping the AR-3a cheaply and non-invasively stunning results

Well, I guess we can argue endlessly about whether the "classic" AR-3a is
"High End". I'm the original owner of a set that's approaching 40 years old
and I still love them.

The 3a's are not my only AR's. I also have a set of TSW610's (12 inch
woofer, 6.5 inch mid-range, & 3/4 inch titanium dome liquid cooled tweeter).
The 610's are in a fairly large room, with tons of stuffed furniture and
sound deadening material. 3a's are just the opposite (small room, little to
no sound absorbing material). In spite of the room dynamics, the 3a's
always sounded sort of "dull" compared to the 610's. That is, the 610's
were just so much brighter and clearer.

Now at the other end, the deep bass, 3a's were always the clear winner.

For the past 6 days, I have been listening to my bi-amped AR-3a’s and I can’
t believe the difference. Bass that just GROWLS through the 12 inch woofers,
high frequencies are clearer and cleaner than my TSW’s 610’s and stereo
imaging that is just unbelievable. It’s hard to believe I’m listening to the
same speakers.

What I particularly noticed is the "punch" at low power levels. Here I’m
talking about just terrific sound at 1 watt or less! I’m hearing
instruments I never heard in the music before. Individual people clapping!
That’s right, I can pick out individual people clapping as opposed to
audience clapping.

Who knows, I might just be incredibly lucky and everything fell into place,
but I’d strongly recommend that AR-3a owners give this a shot. Further, it
literally cost me ... nothing!

The only down side is my favorite FM station that I’d listen to for hours on
end (jazz only station) now sounds like crap. The 3a’s are so clear, I now
hear the crude I never heard before. Oh well … I’m NOT going back.

Here is what I did:

1. I always listen to my 3a’s on an old HeathKit AR1500 and I still do! Only
now the Heathkit just powers the woofers, terminals 1 and 2 on the 3a’s.
Natrually, you MUST remove the strap bewteen T and 2. Further, the tremble
control is turned completely off. In short, the Heathkit is only producing
low frequencies. (AR1500 is rated 100 watts RMS at 4 ohms)

2. I take the audio signals from Tape Output jacks. This tap is before the
tone controls so it has the complete audio signal.

3. The Tape Output goes into an old Pioneer audio/video amplifier (rated at
30 watts - music power - that was in my basement collecting dust) at the VCR
Audio Input. Now this amp has the bass tone control turned completely off.
In short, the Pioneer is only producing higher frequencies and it is
powering the tweeter and mid-range via terminals T and 1 on the 3a’s (again
the strap must be removed).

4. So that leaves me with two independent volume controls. One on each amp
and by adjusting these two controls I control the mix of high and low
frequencies. It took me no more than 3 minutes to figure out how these two
volume controls work together.

5. Now before you attempt this, you must make absolutely certain that both
amps have common grounds on the speaker outputs AND those grounds MUST be
connected to terminal 1 on the 3a’s. The “hot” or “red” lines go to 2 and T.
Notice that the shielded audio cables from Tape Output to the VCR Input
insures that ground on both amps is pegged to the approximately the same
level. (It's fairly common for solid state amps to have common grounds,
especially if they support standard headphone jacks. Do not .. DO NOT
attempt this with tube amps!)

Observations:

1. My old 30 watt amp has more than sufficient to power to drive the
mid-range and tweeter. In fact, it probably has too much power, so we must
be careful NOT to over drive. That is, turn the volume down whenever we
change program source.

2. I did NOT open the 3a’s! The crossovers are still there, but doing
little since the amps are only producing frequencies consistent with the
speakers they are driving. If I ever do anything with the crossovers, I
think what I’d try is putting a shunt across the coil in series with the
woofer. I’d probably leave the cap in place just to insure no stray high
frequencies got to the woofer. Now whether there would be any difference
with the coil out is hard to say. The base is so much improved; it’s hard to
believe it can get much better.

Has anyone tried shunting the coil? If so, can you tell any difference?

3. There is no direct dc path between the "hot" outputs of the two amps.
xover for the mid-range and tweeter provides only capactive coupling with
the amp.

Let me repeat the benefits on my system (of course YMMV):

1. Bass that just GROWLS - YES! the great bass of the AR3a's only got
better
2. Clear/clean high frequencies
3. Great imaging and fantastic transient response
4. Lots more volume at 1 watt output (and I have absolutely no clue why this
should be the case)
5. Both amps are running very cool - they are NOT being stressed at all!
Before I retired the Pioneer it was my home theater amp and it normally ran
so hot you could fry an egg on it. After 6 days of bi-amping it always runs
just moderately warm.

If you get a chance, here is an explanation of why and how bi-amping works:

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

In closing, you AR-3a owners ought to try this to see whether you can get
similar results. I mean, if you gain nothing, returning to the way it was
involves ... replacing the strap between T and 2.

Good luck!
Jerry
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

Jerry wrote:

[...]

This is a very good recipie of how *not* to do biamping. There are so
many things wrong with this approach that I don't know where to start,
but here are a couple of the highpoints:

1) You need to completely isolate the two amplifier outputs - with your
setup the two outputs are combined in the crossover - a good way to fry
an amp or start a fire.

2) Tone controls are *not* crossover filters! They are shelving
filters, and completely totally at the wrong frequency. You want your
crossover point to be somewhere in the 1k to 3k range. Shelving is
typcally at 100 hz and 10khz, meaning that the entire range from 100 to
10k is going to *both* woofer and tweeter.

3) Much of the benefits of bi amping comes from getting the
distortion-producing passive crossover components out of the signal
path. You have left them in, which is actually probably a good thing in
this case because you would have blown your tweeters otherwise.

4) "The crossovers are still there, but doing little since the amps
are only producing frequencies consistent with the speakers they
are driving."
WRONG! The crossovers are still doing what they were doing before,
keeping high frequencies out of the woofer and keeping low frequencies
out of the tweeter. There is no way that the amps are "only producing
frequencies consistent with the speakers they are driving" with only
conventional shelving tone controls.

If you get a chance, here is an explanation of why and how bi-amping

works:

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

You should read it. What you're doing has nothing to do with the
contents of this article.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
John Stone John Stone is offline

Default Bi-amping the AR-3a cheaply and non-invasively stunning

On 8/1/06 6:31 PM, in article , "Jerry"
wrote:

Here is what I did:

1. I always listen to my 3a€šs on an old HeathKit AR1500 and I still do! Only
now the Heathkit just powers the woofers, terminals 1 and 2 on the 3a€šs.
Natrually, you MUST remove the strap bewteen T and 2. Further, the tremble
control is turned completely off. In short, the Heathkit is only producing
low frequencies. (AR1500 is rated 100 watts RMS at 4 ohms)

Why are you turning down the treble control? There is already a low pass
filter in the speaker that expects to see a flat response from the
amplifier. Many treble controls can effect frequencies quite far down in the
range, where the woofer is still contributing output By doing this, you are
probably changing the frequency response of the woofer section. The first
thing I would do would be to reset your treble control to flat.

2. I take the audio signals from Tape Output jacks. This tap is before the
tone controls so it has the complete audio signal.

3. The Tape Output goes into an old Pioneer audio/video amplifier (rated at
30 watts - music power - that was in my basement collecting dust) at the VCR
Audio Input. Now this amp has the bass tone control turned completely off.
In short, the Pioneer is only producing higher frequencies and it is
powering the tweeter and mid-range via terminals T and 1 on the 3a€šs (again
the strap must be removed).

Same problem as above. There's no good reason to be turning down the bass
control. With the woofer section disconnected, the amp is seeing little or
no load at bass frequencies so there's no harm in leaving the controls set
flat. By doing this, you are again probably effecting the frequency response
of the mid/tweeter section. Here's a test to try: using a pink noise signal,
and while playing just the mid and tweeter section, turn the bass control up
and down. If you hear any change at all, you know the control is having an
effect on the system response.

4. So that leaves me with two independent volume controls. One on each amp
and by adjusting these two controls I control the mix of high and low
frequencies. It took me no more than 3 minutes to figure out how these two
volume controls work together.

How exactly did you "figure out" how to make those volume controls work
together? Did you gain match them at every point in their range?
This is probably the most serious flaw in your biamping scheme. Getting the
gains matched precisely is critical in biamped systems because you are
otherwise shelving an entire range of frequencies up or down. Very small
differences in gain can cause quite audible changes in frequency balance.
Having to use 2 volume controls is a royal pain, and getting the gains
precisely matched from top to bottom with such non precision controls is
virtually impossible.
If you have a preamp output available on the Heath, you should use this to
drive the second amplifier. If not, it is often very easy to go inside the
amplifier and tap the preamp out signal. Then you should gain match the
outputs of the 2 amps with the Pioneer's volume control, using a null test.
Connect a small speaker across the + outputs of each amplifier and adjust
the gain of the Pioneer for minimum output from the speaker. Do this with
the AR's connected. If you can't get a null, you have another problem-see
below.
Doing it this way, once you have set the gain on your Pioneer, you will
never have to touch it again.

5. Now before you attempt this, you must make absolutely certain that both
amps have common grounds on the speaker outputs AND those grounds MUST be
connected to terminal 1 on the 3a€šs. The €žhot€° or €žred€° lines go to 2 and T.
Notice that the shielded audio cables from Tape Output to the VCR Input
insures that ground on both amps is pegged to the approximately the same
level.

One critical point you missed is to make sure that the second amplifier is
not inverting the signal relative to the first amplifier. Not all amplifiers
are non-inverting, input to output. If one of your amps does invert, you are
stuck, because you are retaining a common ground on the speakers. The only
thing you could do then is reverse the polarity at the drivers. The null
test will verify this. If you can't get a null, then there is an inversion
taking place.

(It's fairly common for solid state amps to have common grounds,
especially if they support standard headphone jacks. Do not .. DO NOT
attempt this with tube amps!)

Why not? Very many tube amps also have common grounds.

2. I did NOT open the 3a€šs! The crossovers are still there, but doing
little since the amps are only producing frequencies consistent with the
speakers they are driving.

No, the crossovers are doing exactly what they did before. Altering the
input signal doesn't change this. That's why I suggest you don't change the
frequency response of the driving amp.

If I ever do anything with the crossovers, I
think what I€šd try is putting a shunt across the coil in series with the
woofer. I€šd probably leave the cap in place just to insure no stray high
frequencies got to the woofer. Now whether there would be any difference
with the coil out is hard to say. The base is so much improved; it€šs hard to
believe it can get much better.

Has anyone tried shunting the coil? If so, can you tell any difference?

Shunting the coil while leaving the cap in place leaves you with a cap
directly across the amplifier terminals. Not a good move.

If you get a chance, here is an explanation of why and how bi-amping works:

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

Yes, but the way you are doing it is very problematic. The correct
implementation is by using an amplifier for each driver directly
connected-not through a passive crossover- with an active filter network at
the input. However, this takes serious knowledge of electronic and acoustic
design. In any event, your configuration will work ok if you keep the amp
gains matched exactly and you keep the signals to both sections full range
and flat. Otherwise, you're stabbing in the dark.
I'm also skeptical of the improvements you are claiming. Probably much of
the change you hear is due to a radically altered frequency response on your
speakers due to the the way you are implementing the biamp. In my opinion,
the best thing to do is to just get a single amp that's capable of properly
driving the speakers in the first place.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jerry Jerry is offline

Walt wrote(on 8/2/2006):

This is a very good recipie of how *not* to do biamping. There are so
many things wrong with this approach that I don't know where to start,
but here are a couple of the highpoints:

1) You need to completely isolate the two amplifier outputs - with your
setup the two outputs are combined in the crossover - a good way to fry
an amp or start a fire.

Walt, I'm wondering why you believe the amps are "combined" in the xover?

Now it’s true the AR-3a was never designed with the intent to bi-amp (like
modern speakers such as JBL, Polk, Cambridge, etc). Nevertheless, a few
chance coincidences allow us to bi-amp the AR-3a’s ... safely:

1. AR-3a was designed so that the woofer ALONE could be driven and to
do that the woofer had to be electrically isolated from mid-range and
tweeter (this is accomplished by removing the strap between terminals T and
2).

2. In the mid to late 60’s solid state amps came into existence with
COMMON GROUNDS. Prior to then we had tube amps that will absolutely case
the potential problems that you mentioned, Walt.

2) Tone controls are *not* crossover filters! They are shelving
filters, and completely totally at the wrong frequency. You want your
crossover point to be somewhere in the 1k to 3k range. Shelving is
typcally at 100 hz and 10khz, meaning that the entire range from 100 to
10k is going to *both* woofer and tweeter.

Well, Walt, the tone controls work (according to their specifications) at
the extremes of the audio spectrum. Again my goal was to bi-amp cheaply and
I had no interest in spending $'s on active filters. Plus I did NOT want to
alter my beautiful AR-3a's, so I did NOT open the boxes. This means the
original xovers are in place as well as the original xover frequencies.

My goal in using the tone controls is twofold:

1. limit the frequency range sent to the drivers in order to minimize
energy dissipation/rejection by the xovers

2. minimize IM distortion in the audio signals sent to the drivers

Now, item 2 above comes directly from the web article and here is a direct
quote from:

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

“Intermodulation distortion in an amplifier is a form of distortion created
when two different frequencies are being amplified simultaneously. The
effects of intermod are most noticeable when one of the frequencies is much
lower than the other, and the high frequency signal is actually modulated by
the low frequency. This is quite different from the signals simply adding as
they are supposed to. The effect (musically speaking) is that the sound is
muddied, and the highs lose their transparency. Individual instruments
become difficult to separate as their harmonics all start to blend into a
'wall of sound' (have another look at Figure 3B - this is intermodulation
distortion at its worst).

By separating the low and mid+high frequencies from each other PRIOR to the
power amplifiers, we reduce (to a large degree) one of the major sources of
intermodulation. This is a great benefit to the music lover, since the sound
instantly becomes more open and cleaner.”

3) Much of the benefits of bi amping comes from getting the
distortion-producing passive crossover components out of the signal
path. You have left them in, which is actually probably a good thing in
this case because you would have blown your tweeters otherwise.

Well … yes and NO! I agree, Walt, that the passive xovers are a potential
source of distortion as well as random phase shifts. Nevertheless, we have
a problem. I only have two amps and three speakers in each box. Further,
unless I open the boxes, I can only isolate the woofer from the other two
(mid-range and tweeter).

This means I really have no choice, but to leave some of the passive xover
intact, and that’s the xover that manages frequencies between mid-range and
the tweeter. One further advantage of leaving this alone is that the
existing xover prevents any dc path between the amps (tweeter and mid-range
are capacitively coupled).

So, what’s left to remove … a coil in series with the woofer and a cap
across it! Again, I asked whether anyone had taken out the coil, as I
wanted to know whether the differences are audible. The cap, I’d leave to
prevent stray high frequencies from getting to the woofer on power-on and
audio source changes.

4) "The crossovers are still there, but doing little since the amps
are only producing frequencies consistent with the speakers they
are driving."
WRONG! The crossovers are still doing what they were doing before,
keeping high frequencies out of the woofer and keeping low frequencies
out of the tweeter. There is no way that the amps are "only producing
frequencies consistent with the speakers they are driving" with only
conventional shelving tone controls.

Ok, Walt, you have a point. Certainly the tone controls do NOT create the
sharp frequency cutoffs of an active xover, but with 15db attenuation I
certainly am reducing significantly the amount of the energy
dissipated/rejected by the xovers.

Walt, would you agree with this language:

"The crossovers are still there, but doing LESS work, because the amps are
producing frequencies MORE consistent with the speakers they are driving."

Regards,

Jerry

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

Jerry wrote:

My goal in using the tone controls is twofold:

1. limit the frequency range sent to the drivers in order to minimize
energy dissipation/rejection by the xovers

2. minimize IM distortion in the audio signals sent to the drivers

Alternatively, you could just find an amp without excessive IM
distortion. I think they exist.

Now, item 2 above comes directly from the web article and here is a direct
quote from:

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

"Intermodulation distortion in an amplifier is a form of distortion created
when two different frequencies are being amplified simultaneously. The
effects of intermod are most noticeable when one of the frequencies is much
lower than the other, and the high frequency signal is actually modulated by
the low frequency. This is quite different from the signals simply adding as
they are supposed to. The effect (musically speaking) is that the sound is
muddied, and the highs lose their transparency. Individual instruments
become difficult to separate as their harmonics all start to blend into a
'wall of sound' (have another look at Figure 3B - this is intermodulation
distortion at its worst).

No, it's not. Figure 3B is a depiction of clipping distortion. If this
guy doesn't know the difference between IMD and clipping, I'd be wary
of trusting him on anything related to audio.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jerry Jerry is offline

Walt wrote (on 8/3/2006):

From you statement "There is no direct dc path between the "hot"
outputs of the two amps." This implies to me that there is a direct AC
path between the outputs, which is really what matters since your amps
aren't putting out DC (at least I hope they aren't). Most crossovers
are this way, but the AR-3 may be different - I'd have to check the
schematic to be sure. But until I was sure, I wouldn't hook two amps up
to them.

Hi, Walt!

I agree that double checking the schematics of the xovers AND the amps is
important. I did check the schematic of the AR1500 and the AR-3a xover (see
below). Unfortunately, the best I could do on the Pioneer was a visual
trace and some ohm meter readings.

http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/a.../AR3aXorig.gif

In the schematic above the dashed line between T and 2 is the strap I
removed.

Terminal #1 is the common ground on both amps (which are common to each
other as well via the shields on the audio cables).

I see no path, between the "hot outputs" of the amps to each other.

But you *haven't* separated low and mid+high frequencies prior to the
power amplifiers. All you've done is apply about 10 db of shelving at
100hz and 10khz. This is a far cry from a high pass / low pass
combination that operates at 24db or 48db per octave.

You're applying a little tone control and then running the output
through a passive crossover. This is *not* biamping.

Well, even you admit, Walt, that the tones controls are NOT sharp. While we
may get a 15 db reduction at 100Hz there'll be a reduction of something at
500 Hz as well (possibly 3 db and maybe more).

Further, today's speaker manufacturers, who supply speakers with bi-amp
straps call this scheme bi-amping. See:

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/faq.php?show_faq=8

http://www.jbl.com/Home/technology/g...term=Bi-Amping

Walt, I think we can agree there are degrees to bi-amping.

From the very same article that you cite:

The most common question I get is ...
"Do I need to disconnect the passive crossover in my speakers?"
The answer is ... Yes, otherwise you are not really biamping at
all.

This article is correct. You are not really biamping at all.

Walt, would you agree with this language:

"The crossovers are still there, but doing LESS work, because the amps

are
producing frequencies MORE consistent with the speakers they are

driving."

No. The crossovers are still there doing basically the same thing they
were before. You've applied some voodoo to make your system more
complicated, but haven't bi-amped it in any meaningful way. If you're
happy with it, by all means enjoy it, but don't call it biamping,
because it isn't.

Walt, my approach has achieved stunning results. I can perform a before and
after comparison to my other set of AR's (TSW610's) and can hear a
tremendous difference. I believe the improvements are due to:

1. significantly reduced instability of the rail voltages on the
mid-range/tweeter amp vs mono-amped

(AR woofer at 4 ohms consumes just incredible amounts of power For
example, let’s assume a low frequency voltage swing of 75 volts (peak) when
a double bass string is plucked. This creates a current drain for both
speakers of 38 amps!! You’d need filter condensers the size of car
batteries to absorb this with zero instability.)

2. NO counter EMF from the woofer feeding directly the to mid-range/tweeter
(actually this is Richard's idea)

3. reduction in IM by focusing the amps on a narrower portion of the audio
spectrum

These are theories, Walt, but that’s all I have right now. Well, I do have
significantly improved speakers and it cost me nothing to achieve this
improvement. The other thing I have and have no explanation for is that
both amps are running very, very cool. Neither is being stressed and before
both ran fairly hot. (Clearly they are NOT running cooler due to ambient
temperature as it's hot a hell right now.)

Regards,
Jerry

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jerry Jerry is offline

bob wrote (on 8/3/2006):

Alternatively, you could just find an amp without excessive IM
distortion. I think they exist.

Frankly, Bob, I believe that this particular bi-amping scheme reduces IM
distortion, but I don't believe that the IM reduction causes the biggest
improvement in sound. Rather, I believe the major improvements are due to:

1. significantly improved stability of the rail voltages on the
mid-range/tweeter amp vs mono-amped

(AR woofer at 4 ohms consumes just incredible amounts of power For
example, let's assume a low frequency voltage swing of 75 volts when a
double bass string is plucked. This creates a current drain for both
speakers of 38 amps!! You'd need filter condensers the size of car batteries
to absorb this with zero instability.)

2. NO counter EMF from the woofer feeding directly the to mid-range/tweeter
(actually this is Richard's idea)

Bob, if money were no object (or if the wife would understand), the ideal
solution would be to have six mono blocks and an active xover. This way
we'd have one independent amp feeding each speaker and those amps would only
be processing frequencies consistent with the drivers.

My goal, however, was to try bi-amping as cheaply and easily as possible to
see whether I could tell a difference.

No, it's not. Figure 3B is a depiction of clipping distortion. If this
guy doesn't know the difference between IMD and clipping, I'd be wary
of trusting him on anything related to audio.

Well, he's claiming the clipping is really caused by mixing signals
together, which are wide apart in frequency. I suppose this could happen,
if you are really putting out some substantial power.

That's just not my situation. My AR's are in a fairly small room and I
prefer the AVERAGE power output to be under 1 watt. Nevertheless, I still
believe the 4 ohm woofers stress the rail voltages due to the short term
current drain. That is, while low frequencies are draining current, the
high frequencies ( which cycle many, many times before the rails recover)
are seeing distortion cause by the instability in the rail voltages.

Horizontal bi-amping insulates the tweeter/mid-range from any distortion
caused by this low frequency current drain. Further, often in jazz (my
preferred music) we'll hear solid bass coming from just one speaker (caused
by the microphone setup for the trio). The resulting rail instability when
mono-amping impacts BOTH channels causing distortion and crosstalk.

Regards,
Jerry
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
[email protected] dpierce@cartchunk.org is offline

Jerry wrote:
bob wrote (on 8/3/2006):

Alternatively, you could just find an amp without excessive IM
distortion. I think they exist.

Frankly, Bob, I believe that this particular bi-amping scheme reduces IM
distortion, but I don't believe that the IM reduction causes the biggest
improvement in sound. Rather, I believe the major improvements are due to:

1. significantly improved stability of the rail voltages on the
mid-range/tweeter amp vs mono-amped

(AR woofer at 4 ohms consumes just incredible amounts of power For
example, let's assume a low frequency voltage swing of 75 volts when a
double bass string is plucked. This creates a current drain for both
speakers of 38 amps!! You'd need filter condensers the size of car batteries
to absorb this with zero instability.)

Your figures are simply absurd. A voltage swing of, I assume
+-75 volts implies an amplifer capable of producing 700 watts
into 8 ohms.

2. NO counter EMF from the woofer feeding directly the to
mid-range/tweeter (actually this is Richard's idea)

And it's a bad one at that. EMF is the evil anti-christ of any
number of so-called high-end pundits who have no clue
of the underlying physics of what's going on.

If you want to look at EMF as a signal "source" (which it
is NOT), fine, but do so in at least a consistent manner
with a complete understanding of what's going on. That
"back EMF generator" is sitting behind a quite substantial
Thevenin equivalent source impedance, and ONLY occurs
proximal to the speaker's fundamental mechanical resonance.
That's why you have a large peak in the impedance at that
frequency. The EMF voltage is IN phase with the incoming
signal and is, for all intents and purposes, essentially
identical to it. Further, given that the Thevenin equivalent
source impedance of backEMF signal is very large compared
to the actual signal source impedance, whatever "back EMF"
there is is pretty substantially attenuated by the EMF source
impedance and the amplifier output impedance.

In short, the notion that "counter EMF" is in any way
substantively affecting the midrage and tweeter is a
bunch of hooey.

My goal, however, was to try bi-amping as cheaply and
easily as possible to see whether I could tell a difference.

That a difference exists in your scheme I don't think
is at all in dispute.

That the difference that results from your scheme is
something you seem to like is certainly not something
that's even disputable.

That what you did is technically correct, that the result
you got as for the reasons you claim, and such, are all
very much arguable.

In fact, it's quite arguable that your scheme has a number
of serious problems, as others have pointed out, and that
it is NOT behaving as you think it is. Among other things,
your corssover scheme has veryh substantially imposed some
fairly gross frequency response problems on your AR3s.
I see no attempt to separate the audible results of the
overall gross altered frequency response and the other
effects you believe are being achieved.

No, it's not. Figure 3B is a depiction of clipping distortion. If this
guy doesn't know the difference between IMD and clipping, I'd be wary
of trusting him on anything related to audio.

Well, he's claiming the clipping is really caused by mixing signals
together, which are wide apart in frequency.

If this is his claim, he has not the faintest idea what
he is talking about.

That's just not my situation. My AR's are in a fairly small room and I
prefer the AVERAGE power output to be under 1 watt. Nevertheless, I still
believe the 4 ohm woofers stress the rail voltages due to the short term
current drain.

Then your own claims dispute one another.

That is, while low frequencies are draining current, the
high frequencies ( which cycle many, many times before the rails recover)
are seeing distortion cause by the instability in the rail voltages.

That's trivially measurable as IM distortion. Show us where this
is happening and your claims gain some credence.

Horizontal bi-amping insulates the tweeter/mid-range from any distortion
caused by this low frequency current drain. Further, often in jazz (my
preferred music) we'll hear solid bass coming from just one speaker (caused
by the microphone setup for the trio). The resulting rail instability when
mono-amping impacts BOTH channels causing distortion and crosstalk.

That's a claim, not a fact.

Measuring the power supply voltage is a trivial excercise.
Instead of speculating about it with NO data whatsoever,
why not, in fact, measure it?

Claiming it's a problem doesn't mean it IS a problem.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

Jerry wrote:
Walt wrote (on 8/3/2006):

Walt, I'm wondering why you believe the amps are "combined" in the xover?

From you statement "There is no direct dc path between the "hot"
outputs of the two amps." This implies to me that there is a direct AC
path between the outputs... I'd have to check the
schematic to be sure. But until I was sure, I wouldn't hook two amps up
to them.

I agree that double checking the schematics of the xovers AND the amps is
important.
http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/a.../AR3aXorig.gif

Yes, removing the strap isolates the output of the two amplifiers.
That's clear from the schematic. This means that what you are doing is
not actually dangerous. That's good news. So, scratch my criticism of
combining the two amplifier outputs - that's apparently not going on here.

Further, today's speaker manufacturers, who supply speakers with bi-amp
straps call this scheme bi-amping. See:

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/faq.php?show_faq=8
http://www.jbl.com/Home/technology/g...term=Bi-Amping

Walt, I think we can agree there are degrees to bi-amping.

"Biamping" has degenerated into a marketing buzzword and is used in
situations where it is really not applicable at all. For instance,
Wharfdale describes using separate mono amps to drive left and right
speakers as a form of biamping. I consider this to be an abuse of
language to fool neophytes into thinking they've got something they
haven't. Using this line of reasoning we can call a garden variety
stereo receiver "biamping" because it has two power amplifiers inside
it. But saying it doesn't make it so.

What you're doing is sometimes euphamistically called "passive biamping"
where separate amps are used to drive high and low via the passive
crossovers inside the speaker cabinet. This is not "real" biamping
(which involves an active crossover), but it does involve two amps so
manufacturers can tout it as biamping without explicitly lying. But it
is misleading.

Your favorite biamping resourse (http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm)
has this to say about it: "Passive biamping (where two amplifiers are
used in a bi-wiring connection) is, IMHO, a waste of money."

Walt, my approach has achieved stunning results.

If you say so. Enjoy.

//Walt
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Walt Walt is offline

John Stone wrote:

In my opinion, the best thing to do is to just get a single amp
that's capable of properly driving the speakers in the first place.

The most intelligent sentence in this entire thread.

//Walt

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

Jerry wrote:
bob wrote (on 8/3/2006):

Alternatively, you could just find an amp without excessive IM
distortion. I think they exist.

Frankly, Bob, I believe that this particular bi-amping scheme reduces IM
distortion, but I don't believe that the IM reduction causes the biggest
improvement in sound.

If by "this particular bi-amping scheme" you mean with an electronic
crossover ahead of the two amps, then yes, it will reduce IMD. But if
IMD is already below audible levels, it will have no impact on what you
hear.

snip

Bob, if money were no object (or if the wife would understand), the ideal
solution would be to have six mono blocks and an active xover. This way
we'd have one independent amp feeding each speaker and those amps would only
be processing frequencies consistent with the drivers.

Sure, but the primary advantage (and maybe the only advantage) to this
set-up over a single amp (powerful enough to drive the speaker, of
course) derives from the use of an electronic crossover in place of the
passive crossovers inside the speaker. And how big an advantage that is
depends largely on how bad the passive crossovers are.

snip

No, it's not. Figure 3B is a depiction of clipping distortion. If this
guy doesn't know the difference between IMD and clipping, I'd be wary
of trusting him on anything related to audio.

Well, he's claiming the clipping is really caused by mixing signals
together, which are wide apart in frequency. I suppose this could happen,
if you are really putting out some substantial power.

Well, he's muddling up two very simple and distinct concepts, which
makes me wonder whether he really knows what he's talking about.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
BEAR BEAR is offline

Jerry wrote:

[...]

Ok --- I did not read each and every counter post to the original
thread, but...

IF the tone controls work entirely "out of band" (ie. the treble control
ABOVE the LP filter for the woofer, etc...) then there is certainly
benefit to be had by this method OVER the original single AR1500 running
the AR3 speakers.

The AR1500 was not a particularly great amplifier to begin with, and no
doubt, getting 20-30dB of HF infomation out of it will not hurt. One is
also attenuating the "out of band" energy considerably. Which if it
happens to closely correspond to the turn over freqs for the AR3s xover,
is likely to be a benefit as well.

It is probably a better idea to get some nice used modern speakers (many
of them have superior characteristics to the old AR3...) and a modern
amplifier(s) be they tube or solid state, used can be fairly
inexpensive. Buying used can keep things reasonable.

I'd encourage you to continue to experiment and try new things, and new
gear. Notwithstanding some of the "wet blanket" comments in the thread,
the main idea is to experiment, study, learn, try new things, improve in
all respects.

None of the vernerable old gear you are having fun with, and finding
ways to "improve" is within an order of magnitude of the objectively
measured specs of the gear available today. The term "hopelessly
outdated" does come to mind. That doesn't mean it can't be fun to listen
to!

Consier some of the many many DIY & kit offerings out there in both amps
and speakers... in the case of amps, much has been learned about amps
since those AR1500s were designed, and in speakers the drivers
themselves are considerably improved overall...

Bottom line, is that there are likely better ways to "skin the cat." I'd
suggest checking some of them out? Take your rekindled enthusiasm and
turn it in those other directions!

_-_-bear
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jerry Jerry is offline

wrote on 8/4/2006:

Your figures are simply absurd. A voltage swing of, I assume
+-75 volts implies an amplifer capable of producing 700 watts
into 8 ohms.

Oh, really??

I have a 20 year old amp with +/- 72 volt rails (150 watts/channel) and
several folks here have indicatied that they have modern amps with rails of
+/- 100 volts. My example was way below clipping on those amps.

So what's absurb? Perhaps we must make all those folks with amps of 100
volt rails or more turn them in??

[...]

Well, I admit that I don't understand much about the back EMF caused by the
woofer motor. The whole "theory" on counter EMF came from Richard and I'll
leave him to defend it.

All I'll say is the counter EMF at the motor frequency would, of course, be
invisible to the mid-range and tweeters due to the xover. The bigger issue
is does the motor generate harmonics of is base frequency? If so, those
harmonics would flow freely to the mid-range and tweeter, because the xover
would offer that as the "path of least resistance". Like you state, there
is simply no way those harmonics will find their way back into the amp.

[...]

I don't understand how you or anyone can say I've alter the frequency
response of the AR-3a's. In fact, I've run a number of tests and in every
single test the original xovers are doing exactly what they are supposed to
do. That is, they allow only the correct frequencies to the drivers. If
only the correct frequencies are getting to the drivers, how is it that I've
made the drivers more or less sensitive??

Now, perhaps we are talking about different things. My definintion of
frequency response is power into the speakers and sound produced (output if
you will) over the complete audio spectrum. I seriously doubt I've changed
the frequency response of the AR-3a's, which I never opened. The very fact
that the original xovers are intact and WORKING properly suggests just the
opposite.

[...]

I don't have any proof, it's only a theory. I do, however, have some
speaker companies that address this issue:

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/faq.php?show_faq=8

http://www.jbl.com/Home/technology/g...term=Bi-Amping

JBL evens states that the "norm" is to leave the passive xovers intact.

Horizontal bi-amping insulates the tweeter/mid-range from any distortion
caused by this low frequency current drain. Further, often in jazz (my
preferred music) we'll hear solid bass coming from just one speaker

(caused
by the microphone setup for the trio). The resulting rail instability

when
mono-amping impacts BOTH channels causing distortion and crosstalk.

That's a claim, not a fact.

Measuring the power supply voltage is a trivial excercise.
Instead of speculating about it with NO data whatsoever,
why not, in fact, measure it?

Claiming it's a problem doesn't mean it IS a problem.

You mean put it on a DC scope with a sweep frequency in the 40 to 50 Hz
range. Unfortunately, all I have is an old AC scope. Even with a DC scope
I'm not sure we could see such short duration "instability". How would you
measure it?

As I've said a number of times, the improvements I've experienced may all be
"dumb luck", such as:

1. my three drivers are in better phase with each other than before (the
twos amps are adjusting phase to my advantage)

2. that "old" cheap Pioneer amp is actually doing a better job on the high
frequencies than my AR1500 (now, I'll be the first to admit this doesn't
seem right, but who knows?)

When all is said and done, I'd really like to see other AR-3a owners try
this "cheap, non-invasive" scheme and tell us what you hear. I'm fortunate
in that I can do a "before" and "after" comparison using a second set of
AR's as a reference.

Regards,
Jerry

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jerry Jerry is offline

bob wrote (on 8/4/2006):

Bob, if money were no object (or if the wife would understand), the

ideal
solution would be to have six mono blocks and an active xover. This way
we'd have one independent amp feeding each speaker and those amps would

only
be processing frequencies consistent with the drivers.

Sure, but the primary advantage (and maybe the only advantage) to this
set-up over a single amp (powerful enough to drive the speaker, of
course) derives from the use of an electronic crossover in place of the
passive crossovers inside the speaker. And how big an advantage that is
depends largely on how bad the passive crossovers are.

Well, Bob, Wharfedale doesn't agree with you:

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/faq.php?show_faq=8

Neither does JBL:

http://www.jbl.com/Home/technology/g...term=Bi-Amping

According to JBL the "norm" is to leave the passive xovers in place.

Then Polk warns that

"removal of the internal passive xover ... unless you REALLY know what
you're doing, you may get worse sound than you started with."

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...ing/?helpid=53

Lastly, I'm experiencing terrific improvements in imaging, transient
response and high frequency definition/ clarity and my xovers are intact.

Bob, it has to more than just the xovers. The stress on the amps caused by
the woofers just has to playing some role.

No, it's not. Figure 3B is a depiction of clipping distortion. If this
guy doesn't know the difference between IMD and clipping, I'd be wary
of trusting him on anything related to audio.

Well, he's claiming the clipping is really caused by mixing signals
together, which are wide apart in frequency. I suppose this could

happen,
if you are really putting out some substantial power.

Well, he's muddling up two very simple and distinct concepts, which
makes me wonder whether he really knows what he's talking about.

bob

Bob, you're probably right that the guy is embellishing a little here.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jerry Jerry is offline

"Walt" wrote in message
John Stone wrote:

In my opinion, the best thing to do is to just get a single amp
that's capable of properly driving the speakers in the first place.

The most intelligent sentence in this entire thread.

//Walt

Well and what is that single amp??

It is 500 watts per channel and each channel has it's own transformer and
isolated power supply?

Funny how the professionals go with bi-amping and event the speaker
manufacuturers admit that it helps:

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/faq.php?show_faq=8

http://www.jbl.com/Home/technology/g...term=Bi-Amping

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...ing/?helpid=53

Regards,
Jerry

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jerry Jerry is offline

BEAR wrote (on 8/4/2006):

Ok --- I did not read each and every counter post to the original
thread, but...

IF the tone controls work entirely "out of band" (ie. the treble control
ABOVE the LP filter for the woofer, etc...) then there is certainly
benefit to be had by this method OVER the original single AR1500 running
the AR3 speakers.

The AR1500 was not a particularly great amplifier to begin with, and no
doubt, getting 20-30dB of HF infomation out of it will not hurt. One is
also attenuating the "out of band" energy considerably. Which if it
happens to closely correspond to the turn over freqs for the AR3s xover,
is likely to be a benefit as well.

Hi, Bear!

I suspect you are right about the AR1500. That is, the amp is NOT so great.
Now the FM on the other hand is fantastic. Those old Heath people knew how
to design world classs radios.

I know this sounds strange, but I prefer my local PBS jazz FM station to the
satellite stations. The music just seems to possess qualities (like
transient response and imaging) superior to satellite. Now, commercial
stations seem to lack the "punch" that I get on the PBS stations and I have
no idea why that's the case.

It is probably a better idea to get some nice used modern speakers (many
of them have superior characteristics to the old AR3...) and a modern
amplifier(s) be they tube or solid state, used can be fairly
inexpensive. Buying used can keep things reasonable.

Well, Bear, here is where you'll get resistance. Some of us AR folks have
grown accustomed to the "tight", "well defined" bass that only can be
achieved via acoustic suspension.

I own ported speakers (JBL's) and they're OK, but given a choice, I'll
listen to the AR's. Prior to bi-amping, I listened to the ported speakers
far more frequently, because they had such superior imaging, transient
response and clarity. The JBL's have no "edge" since I set up the bi-amp.
Further, the great bass of the AR's .... only got better!

I'll probably start a war here, but Bear do you realize how hard it is to
find acoustic suspension speakers these days? The big three, AR, KLH and
Advent no longer made AS speakers!!

My favorite music is jazz and in jazz there is a ton of music with double
bass. The AR's just GROWL on those really low notes.

There is an outfit that makes some AS sub-woofers. I think it's called
Velodyne, but man are they expensive!

To a certain extent, I have turned the woofers in my AR-3a's into "passive
subwoofers".

[...]

Well said, Bear!!!

I tried to talk my wife into a new set of speakers. Well 20 YEARS newer
than mine - see:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=002

She told me that if I move these into our house, that I should plan on
moving out! She said they look like coffins!

Trouble is all the stuff I like has a very, very low WAF.

Oh well ....

Regards,
Jerry

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Serge Auckland Serge Auckland is offline

Walt wrote:
Jerry wrote:
Walt wrote (on 8/3/2006):

Walt, I'm wondering why you believe the amps are "combined" in the

xover?

From you statement "There is no direct dc path between the "hot"
[...]

If I may be allowed a little pedantry, "real" biamping, as described
above i.e. where the crossover is done electronically at signal level,
is properly described as Active Operation. The term "biamping" is used
for "passive biamping" i.e. where the crossover is done at 'speaker
level, and is, as Walt has quoted, a waste of money and effort.

If this convention were to be followed, it would remove all ambiguity.

S.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Jerry wrote:
bob wrote (on 8/4/2006):

[...]

Normally, I would suggest that all instances of biamping with passive
crossovers is a waste of time, as it *can't* make a difference with
normal modern high-current amplifiers and loudspeakers with a *normal*
impedance characteristic. However, here, I think, we have the example
that proves the rule.

Firstly, the loudspeakers in question have an extreme impedance
characteristic that is a severe load for an amplifier. Secondly, the
original amplifier being used is not a modern high-current output
amplifier, but a vintage unit with limited current capability.

Consequently, passive biamping *in this case* can be beneficial, as
separating the lf and hf currents will lessen the load on the power
amplifiers being used. If this works for the OP fine, but I think he
would get considerably better results with a single modern high-current
capable amplifier and normal single wiring using thick low-resistance cable.

Measurements can verify this, if the OP is sufficiently interested
and/or has the equipment to do the measurements.

S.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Jerry wrote:
"Walt" wrote in message
John Stone wrote:

In my opinion, the best thing to do is to just get a single amp
that's capable of properly driving the speakers in the first place.

The most intelligent sentence in this entire thread.

//Walt

Well and what is that single amp??

It is 500 watts per channel and each channel has it's own transformer and
isolated power supply?

Funny how the professionals go with bi-amping and event the speaker
manufacuturers admit that it helps:

Actually no, professionals go with Active operation, not biamping.
Please see my earlier post for the difference, and there is a
considerable difference, one works, and the other doesn't.

As to why 'speaker manufacturers talk about biamping, the cynic in me
suspects this is fashion and a way of helping their dealers sell more
power amplifiers. If you do the sums, a single modern high-current
output amplifier won't benefit at all from passive biamping.

Power is not the issue, current is. Modern solid-state amplifiers are
generally capable of providing much more current than is strictly
required by their 8 ohm continuous power rating, and consequently can
drive even difficult loads.

S.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

Jerry wrote:
bob wrote (on 8/4/2006):

Sure, but the primary advantage (and maybe the only advantage) to this
set-up over a single amp (powerful enough to drive the speaker, of
course) derives from the use of an electronic crossover in place of the
passive crossovers inside the speaker. And how big an advantage that is
depends largely on how bad the passive crossovers are.

Well, Bob, Wharfedale doesn't agree with you:

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/faq.php?show_faq=8

Nothing here that disagrees with what I said. They're talking about
passive bi-amping as a means of increasing available power. If you need
more power, bi-amping is one way to get it, but it isn't necessarily
any better than just buying the right amp in the first place.

Neither does JBL:

http://www.jbl.com/Home/technology/g...term=Bi-Amping

According to JBL the "norm" is to leave the passive xovers in place.

Again, nothing here disagrees with my statement. Of course passive
bi-amping is the norm. That's because most consumers wouldn't begin to
know how to do it any other way.

Then Polk warns that

"removal of the internal passive xover ... unless you REALLY know what
you're doing, you may get worse sound than you started with."

http://www.polkaudio.com/homeaudio/p...ing/?helpid=53

You missed the part where Polk called your approach "half-baked."

Lastly, I'm experiencing terrific improvements in imaging, transient
response and high frequency definition/ clarity and my xovers are intact.

Hey, if you're happy, I'm happy. But I wouldn't recommend yours as a
good general approach to happiness. It seems to depend too much on your
own sense of efficacy.

Bob, it has to more than just the xovers. The stress on the amps caused by
the woofers just has to playing some role.

Why? Because science just has to work the way you want it to? Dream on,
my friend. If you've got a lousy amp that isn't capable of driving your
speaker, then taking some of the load off is a good idea. But the
premise of everything here is that you have a lousy amp to start with.

bob

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Jerry wrote:
wrote on 8/4/2006:

Your figures are simply absurd. A voltage swing of, I assume
+-75 volts implies an amplifer capable of producing 700 watts
into 8 ohms.

Sorry, that was 4 ohms

Oh, really??

Oh really, yes.

Since:

P = E^2/R

where P is continuous watts, E is RMS voltage, and R is
load resistance, and since a peak voltage of 75 volts,
minus a couple of colts for junction drops giving you your
72 volts peak, is equal to an RMS voltage of a sine wave
of 72 * 0.707 = 51 volts RMS, then, it follows:

P = 51^2 / 4

P = 2601 / 4

P = 650 watts continuous

Even given an 8 ohm load, that's still 325 watts continuous.

I have a 20 year old amp with +/- 72 volt rails (150 watts/
channel)

It might be 150 watts per channel, but iot don't have a +-
72 volt rail when it's doing it.

and several folks here have indicatied that they have
modern amps with rails of +/- 100 volts. My example
was way below clipping on those amps.

Simple math states otherwise, despite what you think
other people may or may not have.

So what's absurb? Perhaps we must make all those
folks with amps of 100 volt rails or more turn them in??

What's absurd is your statements regarding rail voltage
power and more.

2. NO counter EMF from the woofer feeding directly the to
mid-range/tweeter (actually this is Richard's idea)

And it's a bad one at that. EMF is the evil anti-christ of any
number of so-called high-end pundits who have no clue
of the underlying physics of what's going on.

In short, the notion that "counter EMF" is in any way
substantively affecting the midrage and tweeter is a
bunch of hooey.

Well, I admit that I don't understand much about the
back EMF caused by the woofer motor. The whole
"theory" on counter EMF came from Richard and I'll
leave him to defend it.

No, the whole theory on back EMF has been well understood
in the physics and engineering realm long before "Richard"
came a long and started spouting nonsense.

All I'll say is the counter EMF at the motor frequency would,
of course, be invisible to the mid-range and tweeters due
to the xover.

No, it's invisible to to woofer and tweeter because of the
effective motor source inmpedance and the very low
effective load impedance, and at the frequency at which
it is greatest, it is, by definition, precisely in phase with the
incoming signal.

The bigger issue is does the motor generate harmonics
of is base frequency?

If it does, then the whole issue of attenuation due to the
high source impedance and low sink impedance still
holds, only more so for several reasons:

1. The effective source impedance is higher at higher
frequencies, thus the attenuation is greater,

2. The levels of these harmonics are substantially
below the levels of the original signals to begin with,
thus you have smaller signals being attenuation more.

If so, those harmonics would flow freely to the mid-
range and tweeter, because the xover would offer
that as the "path of least resistance".

The path of least resistance is the output impedance
of the amplifier, and the shunt capacitance of the woofer
crossover, all a far lower than the effective input impedance
of the drivers, with or without crossovers.

Like you state, there is simply no way those harmonics
will find their way back into the amp.

No, I am stating that due to the extremely low effective
impedance presented by the amplifier, there's no way
they'll find their way to the other drivers.

In fact, it's quite arguable that your scheme has a number
of serious problems, as others have pointed out, and that
it is NOT behaving as you think it is. Among other things,
your corssover scheme has veryh substantially imposed some
fairly gross frequency response problems on your AR3s.
I see no attempt to separate the audible results of the
overall gross altered frequency response and the other
effects you believe are being achieved.

I don't understand how you or anyone can say I've alter
the frequency response of the AR-3a's.

You have grossly changed the balance of the signal
your feeding to the speaker. If you don't understand how,
you need step back and carefully analyse what you've
done.

In fact, I've run a number of tests

What "tests?"

and in every
single test the original xovers are doing exactly
what they are supposed to do. That is, they allow
only the correct frequencies to the drivers.

Now, crossovers DO NOT do that, especially the old
AR3a crossovers. These and the vast majority of passive
and analog active crossovers GRADUALLY attenuate
the out-of-band signals going to the drivers. The do NOT
abruptly prevent frequecnies outside the passband from
reaching the drivers. Thus, any chnage you make in the
response being fed to the speaker outside the passband
WILL affect the integrated response of the system, like it
or not.

If only the correct frequencies are getting to the drivers,
how is it that I've made the drivers more or less sensitive??

You've changed the response being fed to them.

Now, perhaps we are talking about different things.
My definintion of frequency response is power into
the speakers and sound produced (output if you will)
over the complete audio spectrum.

There already is in place a working definition of frequency
response that's been widely accepted by the physics and
audio community as a whole for decades
How about using that one instead?

That definition is given a inpu signal to a system whose
voltage is constant and independent of frequency, what
is the output of that system as a function of frequency?

In your case, your scheme HAS change the frequency
response of the signal, it is no longer constant, thus
you HAVE changed the response of the system.

I seriously doubt I've changed the frequency response
of the AR-3a's, which I never opened. The very fact
that the original xovers are intact and WORKING
properly suggests just the opposite.

Try the following: Take any audio system and change the position
of the tone controls. You have obviously NOT altered the speakers
in any way.

Now, a question: because you have not changed the
speakers in any way, is it therefore true, and this is your
assertion, in its essence, that the frequency response
of the system is unchanged?

(a secret hint: you HAVE changed the frequency response
of the system).

That's trivially measurable as IM distortion. Show us where this
is happening and your claims gain some credence.

I don't have any proof, it's only a theory. I do, however, have some
speaker companies that address this issue:

You don't even have any data. You claim "tests" but
show nothing.

JBL evens states that the "norm" is to leave the passive xovers intact.

SO what? THat's completely irrelevant to the fact that you
have substantially altered the response of the system.

That's a claim, not a fact.

Measuring the power supply voltage is a trivial excercise.
Instead of speculating about it with NO data whatsoever,
why not, in fact, measure it?

Claiming it's a problem doesn't mean it IS a problem.

You mean put it on a DC scope with a sweep frequency in the 40 to 50 Hz
range. Unfortunately, all I have is an old AC scope. Even with a DC scope
I'm not sure we could see such short duration "instability". How would you
measure it?

Any number of ways. That you have an AC scope is
irrelevant to the problem: if the rails are changing
voltage, guess what? That's AC! Measure it.

Consider hooking the amplifier output to the X channel
and the supply rail to the Y channel, with about a 1:10
or greater difference in the gain between the two. Now
watch the scope.

And even then, that doesn't include the fact that MOST
amplifiers have a pretty good power supply rejection
ratio.

If you assertion is true, then it should exhibit itself as
increased intermodulation distortion. Simple as that.

But,, look, YOUR the one making the assertions here.

1. my three drivers are in better phase with each other than before (the
twos amps are adjusting phase to my advantage)

That's not only unlikely, it's almost ludicrous. Not only
WHY would such be true, but HOW would it be true?

2. that "old" cheap Pioneer amp is actually doing a
better job on the high frequencies than my AR1500
(now, I'll be the first to admit this doesn't seem right,
but who knows?)

Uhm, those who have actually spent years and decades
researching and measuring these sorts of things?

Try a third explanation:

3. You've altered the overal response of the system in
such a way that, at the moment, you like it.

Over the last 30 years or so having seen these sorts of
tweaks and "special" modifications like this one), almost
without exception, #3 has been the dominant explanantion.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
John Stone John Stone is offline

Jerry,
In spite of my own better judgment I'm going to give this discussion one
last go:
What I believe is frustrating me and many other here is that you are making
claims that you simply can't back up. And that you refuse to acknowledge
people who have a whole lot more experience at this than you do; choosing
instead to quote magazine and web site articles out of context.
In fact, I did exactly the same biamp experiment with my B&W 801 speakers
way back in the 80's. Except that I did it correctly, making sure I
precisely matched the drive levels, phase, and frequency response of the 2
amplifiers. So you haven't stumbled onto anything new here. (BTW, my results
were pretty marginal)
You claim, with absolutely no proof, that this "stunning" (your word)
"improvement" is because of reduced IM distortion and less modulation of the
supply rails. But you completely ignore what is indeed the "elephant in the
room" causing, in large part, the audible change you hear. And that is the
fact that you are radically altering the original amplitude response of your
AR3a speakers. No speculation needed, this is a fact.

Look at any book about speaker design, and you will learn that frequency
response is by far the greatest determining factor of a speaker's sound. By
altering the frequency response of the driving amplifiers to a degree which
is unknown to you or anyone else, you are greatly increasing the chances
that the overall frequency response is being changed substantially. But that
isn't the worst of it. By having to use 2 uncalibrated volume controls, you
are relegating the drive level balance, and by extension, the frequency
response, to something that is totally arbitrary. Basically, you have
created what is essentially a complicated tone control.
I run a set of true active speakers myself (Linkwitz Orions), and precise
adjustment of the crossover levels is critical to getting them to perform
properly. Even a 1/2 dB shift in treble shelving results in a considerable
change to the total balance. God only knows how much shelving you've
introduced, and in which direction.

Then you go even further in this by trying to dismiss the importance of the
2 amps being in phase with each other. I'm not going to go back into this,
but suffice it to say you couldn't be more wrong on this point.

If you really want to know the degree to which using separate amplifiers in
this way changes the audible performance of your speakers, then you must
first remove the obvious variables that are well known to impact the sound.
If instead you are just interested in tweaking your speakers through
arbitrary means, then have at it. Just don't expect anyone to buy into your
theories.

Finally, I'd suggest you not argue facts with Dick Pierce. He's extremely
knowledgeable about this subject, and you'd be wise to try to grasp what he
is saying.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

John Stone wrote:
Finally, I'd suggest you not argue facts with Dick Pierce. He's extremely
knowledgeable about this subject, and you'd be wise to try to grasp what he
is saying.

Actually, I would not support your suggestion. Indeed,
arguing on a factual basis can lead to new discoveries.
This is not to say that this is the case here, because
despite the original poster's obvious enthusiasm, blessed
little in the way of factual data has been advanced. There
has been a lot of unsubstantiated specualtion and mention
of "tests," nit no data.

I would welcome and indeed invite the original poster to,
in fact, present actual data, because it would then begin
to make the discussion more interesting and informative.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

BEAR wrote:

IF the tone controls work entirely "out of band" (ie. the treble control
ABOVE the LP filter for the woofer, etc...) then there is certainly
benefit to be had by this method OVER the original single AR1500 running
the AR3 speakers.

That's a mighty big IF there. Granted, turning down the treble on the
amp driving his woofers is probably having little effect. (It's also
probably doing little to relieve the amp, though, unless he's listening
to music with unusual high-frequency levels.) But he's also turning
down the bass control on the amp driving his midrange, which is very
likely to be having an impact on frequency response. In effect, he's
turning down his lower midrange.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
---MIKE--- ---MIKE--- is offline

I have a pair of AR3As that I am using as sub-woofers. The strap has
been removed and the speakers (in SERIES) are driven by an Apt-1 power
amp. There is a Dalquist dividing unit that only feeds the low bass to
the amp. My main speakers are DBX Soundfield ones and I have the bass
control set at full cut.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Posted to rec.audio.high-end

bob wrote:
Jerry wrote:
bob wrote (on 8/4/2006):

Sure, but the primary advantage (and maybe the only advantage) to this
set-up over a single amp (powerful enough to drive the speaker, of
course) derives from the use of an electronic crossover in place of the
passive crossovers inside the speaker. And how big an advantage that is
depends largely on how bad the passive crossovers are.

Well, Bob, Wharfedale doesn't agree with you:

http://www.wharfedale.co.uk/faq.php?show_faq=8

Nothing here that disagrees with what I said. They're talking about
passive bi-amping as a means of increasing available power. If you need
more power, bi-amping is one way to get it, but it isn't necessarily
any better than just buying the right amp in the first place.

Actually, passive biamping doesn't increase the available power as
assuming two identical amplifiers, the available voltage is the same
whether one or two amps is being used.

S.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jerry Jerry is offline

Serge wrote (on 8/5/2006):

If I may be allowed a little pedantry, "real" biamping, as described
above i.e. where the crossover is done electronically at signal level,
is properly described as Active Operation. The term "biamping" is used
for "passive biamping" i.e. where the crossover is done at 'speaker
level, and is, as Walt has quoted, a waste of money and effort.

If this convention were to be followed, it would remove all ambiguity.

S.

Well, Serge, fortunately I decided to experiment and NOT listen to the
experts.

On MY system with MY AR-3a's "passive bi-amping" made a huge difference!
One thing about passive bi-amping is that it's fairly easy to return to
single amp configuration. So, today I went back to single amp for about
an hour and the AR-3a's:

1. seem "lifeless"
2. had no "punch" in the bass
3. lacked clarity

So, I returned to my "passive bi-amping" and like magic ... everything
returned.

Serge, I believe I've been fairly honest, when I say I'm NOT really sure why
it's better. I have theories, but that's all. I further admit it might
be "dumb luck", that is:

1. the drivers in my speakers are actually in phase now (differences in
phase between the amps brought the drivers in-line)

2. could be that old, cheap Pioneer amp is doing a better job on the high
frequencies than my AR1500 (now I seriously doubt that's the case, but who
knows. The Pioneer is at least 15 years newer than the AR1500)

Whole purpose in starting this tread was to share with other AR owners my
positive experience. Please remember that the early AR's were never
designed for "passive bi-amping". Due to a few chance coincidences, I
learned it can be done WITHOUT opening the sealed boxes. Let me repeat
that ... WITHOUT opening the sealed boxes.

Further, the cost to me was essentially .... zero. The Pioneer amp was
just collecting dust in my basement.

Even though I had good results on my AR's, I would NOT recommend that other
AR owners rush out and purchase a 2nd amp. If you don't have a 2nd amp
lying around, borrow one from the kids.

In closing, I will say, Serge, I really, really like your suggestion on
terminology. That is, Active Operation = electronic xover

Thanks, Serge!

Regards,
Jerry

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jerry Jerry is offline

"Serge Auckland" wrote in message

[...]

My point in starting this thread is that I don't believe I'm alone. That
is, there are a number of us "old timers" that have AR-3's, AR-2's and
AR-3a's (40 year old speakers) AND vintage amps.

I'm just dying for someone with similar hardware to try "passive bi-amping"
on AR's and see whether you get similar results.

Please remember that the AR's were never designed for "passive bi-amping",
but under the right conditions it can be done WITHOUT opening the sealed
boxes.

Regards,
Jerry

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jerry Jerry is offline

"bob" wrote on 8/5/2206:

Bob, it has to be more than just the xovers. The stress on the amps

caused by
the woofers just has to be playing some role.

Why? Because science just has to work the way you want it to? Dream on,
my friend. If you've got a lousy amp that isn't capable of driving your
speaker, then taking some of the load off is a good idea. But the
premise of everything here is that you have a lousy amp to start with.

bob

Hi, bob!

You might be correct about the amp. I have a slightly more modern amp rated
at 150 watts per channel rms into 8 ohms. Output rail voltages are +/- 72
volts ... almost double the rail voltages on the AR1500. Have no idea
what the rating is for 4 ohms, but I'd guess somewhere in the 200 watt
range.

That amp powers my TSW610's (a newer vintage AR speaker from the Teledyne
era).

One of these days, I'll bring it into my den (damn thing weighs a ton) and
have it power the AR-3a's. All things considered I really have this
backwards as the TSW610's are 8 ohms and way more efficient than the
AR-3a's.

I read somewhere that the impedance on the AR-3a's drops below 3 ohms on
some of the low frequencies. The AR-3a's might stress most amps!

In thinking about this, most reviews of the AR-3a's went along the lines of
..... "great deep bass, but somewhat subdued/dull in the high frequencies".
Maybe I've blundered into the reason for this.

Regards,
Jerry
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
bob bob is offline

Jerry wrote:

Serge, I believe I've been fairly honest, when I say I'm NOT really sure why
it's better. I have theories, but that's all. I further admit it might
be "dumb luck", that is:

1. the drivers in my speakers are actually in phase now (differences in
phase between the amps brought the drivers in-line)

2. could be that old, cheap Pioneer amp is doing a better job on the high
frequencies than my AR1500 (now I seriously doubt that's the case, but who
knows. The Pioneer is at least 15 years newer than the AR1500)

Well, instead of idle speculation, we can look at what you're actually
doing, and the actual effect this is having on the sound. Why does your
"bi-amp" approach sound better to you? Here are the possibilities:

1. Power: Your old amp couldn't drive the entire speaker, but can drive
just the woofer, so you're getting less clipping.

2. Frequency Response (Bass): By using a separate volume control for
your woofer, you are in effect creating a two-band equalizer. And you
equalized it to a sound you like better.

3. Frequency Response (Midrange): By turning down the bass control on
the amp driving the midrange, you are attenuating the lower midrange.
Combined with #2, you now have a 3-band equalizer.

4. Overall Volume: It's possible that you are playing your new system
subtly louder than the old, which will likely make the new system sound
better. (And, no, you cannot level-match by ear.)

5. Imagination: Your impression of the sound may be influenced by your
pride at having devised such a clever set-up.

That's it, as far as I can see.

bob
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Keith Hughes Keith Hughes is offline

Jerry wrote:

Serge wrote (on 8/5/2006):

Snip

Well, Serge, fortunately I decided to experiment and NOT listen to the
experts.

On MY system with MY AR-3a's "passive bi-amping" made a huge difference!
One thing about passive bi-amping is that it's fairly easy to return to
single amp configuration. So, today I went back to single amp for about
an hour and the AR-3a's:

1. seem "lifeless"
2. had no "punch" in the bass
3. lacked clarity

Hmmm...at this point, I would question why you would have listened to
lifeless, muddy, punch-free speakers for 40 years? There had to have
been a reason. You may well find, as a consequence, that the *new*
livelier sound (i.e. with the modified frequency response you've
introduced) may well become fatiguing as time goes on...then again,
maybe not.

Keith Hughes
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Jerry wrote:
I read somewhere that the impedance on the AR-3a's drops below 3 ohms on
some of the low frequencies.

The impedance of the AR3a

The AR-3a's might stress most amps!

Not if you're playing, as you said earlier, at levels of 1 watt
or less.

In thinking about this, most reviews of the AR-3a's went along the lines of
.... "great deep bass, but somewhat subdued/dull in the high frequencies".
Maybe I've blundered into the reason for this.

No, the reason for this is that Roy Allison and Ed Villchur at AR
decided on a balance that resulted in an overall downward trend
in the speaker's response toward the high end. That was their
choice, for whatever reaons. The midrange efficiency is about
2 db less than the woofer, and the tweeter is another 2-3 dB
less efficienct than that. That's what the people of AR designed
it to be.

Add to that the woofer was designed purposely to be under-
damped, with a system Qt at resonance of about 1.2-1.25.
One reaons for doing this is that it results in the highest
possible efficiency for a sealed-box system of that size and
cutoff frequency. Given the standard efficiency, enclosure
volume, cutoff frequency relation:

n0 = kn Vb F3^3

where n0 = reference efficiency, Vb is enclosure volume
F3 is -3dB cutoff frequency and kn is the alignment-
dependent efficiency constant, we find that kn is at a
maximum when Qtc = 1.1 or so, where kn reaches a
maximum value of 2.0 * 10^-6 (cf Small, JAES pp 290,
1972 Dec).

Thus, I think this is yet more evidence that, without either
knowing it or not wanting to know it, you have probably
rather drastically altered the overal frequency response
of the system. Given I have seen untold numbers of
people perform, in essence, the same experiment you
have, and, without a single exception, all such experiments
resulted in pretty radical alteration of the system's frequency
response, I'd wager good money that's exactly what you've
done, and you like the results.

Wanna take the bet?
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Jerry wrote:
1. the drivers in my speakers are actually in phase now (differences in
phase between the amps brought the drivers in-line)

Several points:

1. What on earth would lead you to such a conclusion?
Do you, in fact, know that there is "a difference in phase?"

2. If your speculation is true that, in fact, the two amplifiers
are "different in phase," the result, given the basic intrinsic
nature of these sorts of systems IS a change in frequency
response, which contradicts your assertions to the contrary.
Posted to rec.audio.high-end

Jerry wrote:
Well, Serge, fortunately I decided to experiment and
NOT listen to the experts.

This is somewhat reminiscent of the most common
last four words of a lot of men, "Hey guys, watch this!" :-)

Beyond that, what experts might that be? You seemed
be able, at the drop of a hat, drop in links to manufacturer's
web sites in an attempt to bolster your claims.

On MY system with MY AR-3a's "passive bi-amping"
made a huge difference!

I think there is no dispute about that at all. It's just that
you don't know WHY it made a difference, and some
here who have actually seen the experiment done, and
some here who actually know abnout these things a bit
more than you do, have reasonably advanced the suggestion
that the huge difference you hear could well be due to the
huge difference in the resulting frequency response of
the system that would inevitably result from what you
have done. And you have not advanced a single piece
of evidence to suggest to the contrary.

That's all.

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jerry Jerry is offline

"Keith Hughes" wrote in message
Jerry wrote:

Serge wrote (on 8/5/2006):

Snip

[...]

Keith, that is a very good question, as I have a modern set of JBL's and
more modern (well 20 years newer AR's). Both of these sound brighter and
clearer than my AR-3's prior to bi-amping.

My favorite music is jazz and in particular jazz trios/quartets.

Us AR lovers, and there are quite a few us still around, just love the
"tight, deep bass" produced by the acoustic suspension design. Today, with
the exception of a few sub-woofers (made by companies like Velodyne) is very
hard to find acoustic suspension systems.

Ported speakers are OK and sound nice, but it's just NOT the same.

Hope this helps ...

Regards,
Jerry

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jerry Jerry is offline

Serge Auckland wrote on 8/6/2006:

Actually, passive biamping doesn't increase the available power as
assuming two identical amplifiers, the available voltage is the same
whether one or two amps is being used.

S.

Serge, it's pretty universally accepted that bi-amping of any kind can
increase available power. There are some explanations in this article:

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

Another way to look at this is that power output is NOT simply a matter of
voltage available. Amp ratings are at certain thd levels. Upon stressing
the rail voltages, we start to see more clipping (distortion) and further
amplification only exponentially increases distortion.

With two amps "sharing" the audio spectrum AND the load (that is neither amp
sees the curent drain of all the speakers), we'll be able to drive each amp
harder before distortion sets in. Thus, resulting in more power available
to the system of speakers.

Hope this helps, Serge.

Regards,
Jerry
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jerry Jerry is offline

"---MIKE---" wrote in message
I have a pair of AR3As that I am using as sub-woofers. The strap has
been removed and the speakers (in SERIES) are driven by an Apt-1 power
amp. There is a Dalquist dividing unit that only feeds the low bass to
the amp. My main speakers are DBX Soundfield ones and I have the bass
control set at full cut.

---MIKE---
In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
(44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Hi, Mike!!

You neglected to say how you like the sound of the AR3a woofers.

My own expereince is that the "tight, deep bass" of the acoustic suspension
AR's is very difficult to match.

Now, you mention that you have the strap removed (as do I), but how about
the coil and cap inside the sealed box?

Did you disable? Frankly, since you are only sending frequencies to the
woofers within their designed range, I don't think the coil and cap are
doing much.

Lastly, you have the woofers in series with each other?? Clearly that gets
you closer to 8 ohms. Is the Apt-1 a mono amp?

Mike, I'm just curious why the series connection.

Regards,
Jerry

Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jerry Jerry is offline

bob wrote on 8/6/2006

Hi, bob!

I like your questions below and find them thought provoking. I will comment
on each and we'll see if that helps clarify things.

In all fairness, Bob, you must admit that you are "speculating" as well.
Frankly, I see NOTHING wrong with idle speculation as it makes me sit back
and think.

Well, instead of idle speculation, we can look at what you're actually
doing, and the actual effect this is having on the sound. Why does your
"bi-amp" approach sound better to you? Here are the possibilities:

1. Power: Your old amp couldn't drive the entire speaker, but can drive
just the woofer, so you're getting less clipping.

Bob, you may be right on here! It's totally possible that the woofer amp is
STILLclipping, but since that amp has no access to high frequency drivers,
.... we can't hear it!

My problem with this answer, however, is that my normal listening level was
approx. 1 watt average (I have meters on the AR1500). I "think" is that
old amp is struggling under transient loads (like a plucked bass string) and
that in turn causes rail instability which leads to distortion in the higher
frequencies. Further, I believe nothing has changed with that old amp,
except it no longer has access to high frequency drivers.

Compounding the problem is that the amp see the impedance of AR-3a's at some
low frequencies under 3 ohms!

Then the Pioneer amp, of course, is NOT stressed in the least by the power
hungry woofers.

2. Frequency Response (Bass): By using a separate volume control for
your woofer, you are in effect creating a two-band equalizer. And you
equalized it to a sound you like better.

Absolutely, Bob!!! No question about it! But .... and it's a BIG but

My only real control is to drive the woofer with either MORE or LESS energy
relative to the mid-range/tweeter. I have no EQ which would allow shaping
of individual frequency bands. All I have is tone controls.

Further the tone controls on the Pioneer are inferior (less attenuation) to
the tone controls on the AR1500.

Now, here is the interesting part. I've never claimed that with "passive
bi-amping" I get MORE bass. Instead, what I claim is "better defined" bass!
Further, I know from where this "better definition" is coming.

It's coming from the mid-range and tweeter!! How is that, Bob, for
perplexing?

I know this is the case, because when listing to a jazz trio with beautiful,
well defined base, if I turn the Pioneer off, that better defined base ...
disappears! What I call "definition" must have something to do with the
harmonics of the string bass.

3. Frequency Response (Midrange): By turning down the bass control on
the amp driving the midrange, you are attenuating the lower midrange.
Combined with #2, you now have a 3-band equalizer.

Ummmm, not shure I buy this and it's my fault, Bob, for failing to share
with you my simple experiments. I shut down the AR1500 when playing a piece
of music with a decent distribution of frequencies (jazz band not a trio).
So only the mid-range and tweeter are producing sound. I then turned the
bass tone control on the Pioneer all the way UP (not flat, but all the way
up).

Result: no difference in music pitch (I heard no hint of increased low
frequency or mid frequencies) It appears that the tone controls really work
at the extremes of the audio spectrum.

Now, and this is "kind of interesting" I think that I can hear a very slight
reduction in clarity when I turn the bass control on the Pioneer all the way
up. Now this "lack of clarity" appears to impact only the very high
frequencies. I find this very strange and really am NOT sure what's going
on other than the "theory" that mixing high and low frequencies offers the
opportunity for more IM distortion.

4. Overall Volume: It's possible that you are playing your new system
subtly louder than the old, which will likely make the new system sound
better. (And, no, you cannot level-match by ear.)

Bob, this is clearly possible, but I have the power meters and my sense is I
now listen to music at slightly lower power levels. Since I can clearly
hear all of the instruments and the bass is better defined, I find that I'm
satisfied/gratified at slightly lower volumes.

Bob, I want to emphasis that the reduction is slight. While before I
averaged between .5 and 1 watt, now I'm averaging between .3 and .7 watt.

5. Imagination: Your impression of the sound may be influenced by your
pride at having devised such a clever set-up.

That is entirely possible, Bob!!! This is exactly why I'm anxious to hear
from other AR owner to see what they experience under my scheme.

I hope (and pray this is not the case). No engineer wants to believe they
have lost their objectivity, but ... it happens.

In my defense, I'll say that I've been listening to these AR-3a's for some
35 years. They never had the brilliance or clarity of my other AR's
(TSW610's) and now, they are clearly equal, and in many respects superior.

That's it, as far as I can see.

bob

Again, Bob, I appreciate your probing questions. You make me think!

Thanks,
Jerry
Posted to rec.audio.high-end
Jerry Jerry is offline

John Stone wrote on 8/6/2006

Dick,
I was only referring to those points Jerry had already brought up in this
thread. If he was bringing up points that actually were debatable it would
be different. But he is out of his league and doesn't seem to realize it.
Arguing with you (or me for that matter) that his setup is not altering
frequency response or that back EMF from the woofer is somehow reaching

the
mid/tweeters is just silly. He has big gaps in his knowledge of basic
electronics. That was my point in telling him to try to learn something

from
what you wrote.

John, I don't think I am of out of anybody's league here.

I do freely admit that the EMF argument came from Richard, not from me. I
really don't know much about EMF in woofer motors. Richard has been
involved with AR's for years and understand much of their original design
trade-offs.

My field is electronics and I've spent many, many frustrating hours over
bread boards that aren't perform as they theoretically should. In short,
there is a huge step between theory and the "real world" and I have all the
scars to prove it.

I'm retired now, and have little equipment, but I still understand the
theory. To suggest as you folks seem to gravitate towards that all I've
done is change the frequency response of the SYSTEM shows I'm NOT "out of my
league".

Look, frequency response is just one little measurement of a system. It
deals with the QUANTITY out vs. a steady, constant input signal sweep over
the entire frequency band. It doesn't begin to deal with the QUALITY of
that output nor does it deal with dynamics like transient response which are
huge issues in sound reproduction.

Further, my amps have TONE CONTROLS. I have (on these amps) no EQ's so I
simply have no way to shape or emphasize any discrete frequency band. In
passive bi-amping the xovers are in place and continue balancing frequencies
sent to the various drivers. All I can do (with the amps' volume control)
is either UNDER or OVER drive the woofer with respect to the
mid-range/tweeter. But, that's trivial!! I could do that before with
tone controls and "loudness switches".

You undoubtedly know that over or under driving the woofer causes "funky
things" to happen with human voices and I just love Ella Fitzgerald. After
all these years, I can assure you I can adjust to get her voice correct in
seconds.

Lastly, someone on here was trying to tell me how power amps wattage rating
is based upon the amp's rail voltages. This particular individual is
clearly NOT in my league. Rail voltages MUST be way above any amp's power
rating to provide "head room" to minimize clipping and the resulting
distortion. That is, music is not a steady, constant input signal. It's
just full of transients and amplifier engineers understand this.

In any event, that individual will shortly fry his amp, if he truly believes
his convictions.

Regards,
Jerry