Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Default 2+1, 7+1

Since I don't have this setup, I cannot answer this Q myself...

If a home thaetre system is set up for 7+1 but only the 2+1 main
speakers are present, does this detract from the quality compared to a
dedicated 2+1 setup?

Dirk
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Geoff@home

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Since I don't have this setup, I cannot answer this Q myself...

If a home thaetre system is set up for 7+1 but only the 2+1 main
speakers are present, does this detract from the quality compared to a
dedicated 2+1 setup?

Yes. The stereo mix should have stuff in it that the front 2 of the
5/7/whatever mix won't, depending on the material.

But why isn't there a '9' format, for real 3D sound - top left, bottom left,
top right, bottom right, the same array for rear, and a sub channel ?
('Centre' channels are just a copout for inadequate imaging).

geoff

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Geoff@home wrote:
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

Since I don't have this setup, I cannot answer this Q myself...

If a home thaetre system is set up for 7+1 but only the 2+1 main
speakers are present, does this detract from the quality compared to a
dedicated 2+1 setup?

Yes. The stereo mix should have stuff in it that the front 2 of the
5/7/whatever mix won't, depending on the material.

But why isn't there a '9' format, for real 3D sound - top left, bottom left,
top right, bottom right, the same array for rear, and a sub channel ?
('Centre' channels are just a copout for inadequate imaging).

Good question!
It would certainly make more sense (apparently).

Dirk
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Matt Ion

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Since I don't have this setup, I cannot answer this Q myself...

If a home thaetre system is set up for 7+1 but only the 2+1 main
speakers are present, does this detract from the quality compared to a
dedicated 2+1 setup?

Depends what you're listening to, and whether the amp handles processing
differently for two vs. seven speakers.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Matt Ion wrote:
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

Since I don't have this setup, I cannot answer this Q myself...

If a home thaetre system is set up for 7+1 but only the 2+1 main
speakers are present, does this detract from the quality compared to a
dedicated 2+1 setup?

Depends what you're listening to, and whether the amp handles processing
differently for two vs. seven speakers.

It's not the amp I'm worried about but the Creative X-Fi soundcard

Dirk

Posted to rec.audio.tech
Matt Ion

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Matt Ion wrote:

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

Since I don't have this setup, I cannot answer this Q myself...

If a home thaetre system is set up for 7+1 but only the 2+1 main
speakers are present, does this detract from the quality compared to
a dedicated 2+1 setup?

Depends what you're listening to, and whether the amp handles
processing differently for two vs. seven speakers.

It's not the amp I'm worried about but the Creative X-Fi soundcard

Same idea either way: if you can configure it to know that it only has a
2.1 speaker set, then it should downmix properly; if not, and it's
trying to split the signal out to non-existant speakers, then you could
have problems on surround-encoded material.

The X-Fi should have no problem, though.
Posted to rec.audio.tech
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Matt Ion wrote:
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

Matt Ion wrote:

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:

Since I don't have this setup, I cannot answer this Q myself...

If a home thaetre system is set up for 7+1 but only the 2+1 main
speakers are present, does this detract from the quality compared to
a dedicated 2+1 setup?

Depends what you're listening to, and whether the amp handles
processing differently for two vs. seven speakers.

It's not the amp I'm worried about but the Creative X-Fi soundcard

Same idea either way: if you can configure it to know that it only has a
2.1 speaker set, then it should downmix properly; if not, and it's
trying to split the signal out to non-existant speakers, then you could
have problems on surround-encoded material.

The X-Fi should have no problem, though.

However, switching it over could well be a problem since it is under the
control of third party OEM s/w and is pretty much hard coded.

Dirk