Ken Kantor

Default Speakers testing

Sure, happy to comment:

1- "20 to 20K."

I'm not exactly sure what the underlying question is here. Is isn't
particularly difficult to reliably measure 20 Hz speaker output,
especially using near-field techniques. It takes a good mic and
preamp, and the ability to examine the spectrum in order to understand
what is fundamental and what is harmonic distortion. Measuring very
long wavelengths is in many ways easier than measuring shorter ones,
provided you are not concerned with understanding room effects.

2- "Multiples."

Though the question of what "efficiency" properly refers to is
perpetually ellusive, there is no doubt that more radiating area
increases low frequency efficiency.

"...it should be mentioned again that the radiating efficiency of a
direct-radiator loudspeaker can be increased at low frequencies by
mounting several units side by side in a single baffle. The mutual
interaction among the radiating units serves to increase the radiation
resistance of each unit substantially. For example, two identical
direct-radiators very near each other in an infinitely large plane
baffle, and vibrating in phase, will produce four times the intensity
on the principle axis as will one of them alone."

Beranek, "Acoustics," 1st Ed., 1954, p259.

-k

ow (Goofball_star_dot_etal) wrote in message ...
Hi Ken,
Care to comment over on rec.audio.tech on either thread "20hz to 20Khz
, yea right!" or "Speaker sensitivity and fs in multiples." ? I would
like it resolved, whether I am right or wrong. It is your field and
Dick does not seem to want to play.
Regards,
David.

Rich Andrews

(Ken Kantor) wrote in news:a86797f3.0312070001.23833604
@posting.google.com:

[...]

I think that rule goes awry when multiple tweeters are involved in a
column. I do know that the 6db rule does not apply to an array of
tweeters in a column.

Scott Gardner

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 08:36:07 -0000, Rich Andrews
wrote:

"...it should be mentioned again that the radiating efficiency of a
direct-radiator loudspeaker can be increased at low frequencies by
mounting several units side by side in a single baffle. The mutual
interaction among the radiating units serves to increase the radiation
resistance of each unit substantially. For example, two identical
direct-radiators very near each other in an infinitely large plane
baffle, and vibrating in phase, will produce four times the intensity
on the principle axis as will one of them alone."

Beranek, "Acoustics," 1st Ed., 1954, p259.

-k

I think that rule goes awry when multiple tweeters are involved in a
column. I do know that the 6db rule does not apply to an array of
tweeters in a column.

This is interesting. What assumptions are being made above
regarding the power supplied to each speaker? Specifically, when you
go from one speaker to two in the above example, is the original
amount of power now being divided between two speakers, or do both
speakers receive power equal to what the solo speaker had?
Getting 6dB of increase by doubling the number of speakers AND
the power provided makes sense to me, but if the 6dB increase is
coming solely from doubling the number of speakers, I confess I'm
confused.

Also, do the speakers have to share the same enclosure volume for the
above paragraph to apply? How about the following three scenarios?

1) One speaker, being supplied 1000 Watts.

2) Two speakers in separate enclosures, each being supplied 500 Watts

3) Two speakers, sharing an enclosure that's twice the size of a
single enclosure, each being supplied 500 Watts.

Which of these three would produce the highest intensity? From the
"Acoustics" quote above, I think it would be #3, with #1 and #2 being
about equal. The reason I'm curious is that in car audio, two
subwoofers in a box is a fairly common arrangement, but the boxes are
usually constructed such that the two subs don't share the same
enclosure volume. If there's an extra 3dB to be had just by having
the subs share the same enclosure volume, I'd think more boxes would
be designed this way.

Scott Gardner

Rich Andrews

(Scott Gardner) wrote in news:3fd2e756.349845843
@news.east.cox.net:

wrote:

[...]

Doubling the amount of power supplied to a speaker is going to increase
the SPL by 3db.

Please disregard what I said about tweeters. It is irrelevent to the
discussion.

Svante

OK here we go again...

wrote:

"...it should be mentioned again that the radiating efficiency of a
direct-radiator loudspeaker can be increased at low frequencies by
mounting several units side by side in a single baffle. The mutual
interaction among the radiating units serves to increase the radiation
resistance of each unit substantially. For example, two identical
direct-radiators very near each other in an infinitely large plane
baffle, and vibrating in phase, will produce four times the intensity
on the principle axis as will one of them alone."

Beranek, "Acoustics," 1st Ed., 1954, p259.

I think that rule goes awry when multiple tweeters are involved in a
column. I do know that the 6db rule does not apply to an array of
tweeters in a column.

Right. The rule applies if the drivers are mounted close to each other
COMPARED TO THE WAVELENGTH. Obviously, the wavelength is short at high
frequencies, so this condition becomes hard or impossible to fulfill
for tweeters.

This is interesting.

Yes it is. Have a look at the thread rec.audio.tech "Speaker
sensitivity and fs in multiples." which this was a comment upon. After
quite some argumenting I think that the opinion goes towards the
above.

What assumptions are being made above
regarding the power supplied to each speaker?

Input power must be doubled, ie + 3dB.

Specifically, when you
go from one speaker to two in the above example, is the original
amount of power now being divided between two speakers, or do both
speakers receive power equal to what the solo speaker had?

EACH of them, yes.

Getting 6dB of increase by doubling the number of speakers AND
the power provided makes sense to me, but if the 6dB increase is
coming solely from doubling the number of speakers, I confess I'm
confused.

Also, do the speakers have to share the same enclosure volume for the
above paragraph to apply? How about the following three scenarios?

1) One speaker, being supplied 1000 Watts.

That would give a level of x dB (given that it is mounted in a box of
y litres).

2) Two speakers in separate enclosures, each being supplied 500 Watts

The level would now be x + 3 dB, if each box is y litres.

3) Two speakers, sharing an enclosure that's twice the size of a
single enclosure, each being supplied 500 Watts.

The level would still be x + 3 dB, if the box is 2*y litres.

Which of these three would produce the highest intensity? From the
"Acoustics" quote above, I think it would be #3, with #1 and #2 being
about equal. The reason I'm curious is that in car audio, two
subwoofers in a box is a fairly common arrangement, but the boxes are
usually constructed such that the two subs don't share the same
enclosure volume. If there's an extra 3dB to be had just by having
the subs share the same enclosure volume, I'd think more boxes would
be designed this way.

No, the gain is on the acoustic side, not inside the box. Two drivers
(each receiving the same power as the single driver) would double the
sound pressure, and quadruple the acoustic power.

Again, read the other thread in this group, I beleive this will save
you some thinking.

Scott Gardner

wrote:

[...]

Thanks, but I'm not really interested in being "saved" from thinking.
I enjoy the discussion. What you explained was pretty much what I've
always thought, I was just confused by the paragraph from "Acoustics"
above. For one, it mentions a four-fold increase in SPL without
explicitly mentioning the fact that he's doubling amplifer power as
well as the number of speakers, and the part about mounting multiple
speakers "side by side" in a "single baffle" makes it sound like
that's a requirement to get the efficiency increase from multiple
speakers. From your response to my three scenarios, it sounds like
that's not the case after all.

Scott Gardner

Svante

(Scott Gardner) wrote in message ...
On 7 Dec 2003 10:39:16 -0800,
(Svante)
wrote:

[...]

Sounds sound... :-)

I enjoy the discussion. What you explained was pretty much what I've
always thought, I was just confused by the paragraph from "Acoustics"
above. For one, it mentions a four-fold increase in SPL without
explicitly mentioning the fact that he's doubling amplifer power as
well as the number of speakers, and the part about mounting multiple
speakers "side by side" in a "single baffle" makes it sound like
that's a requirement to get the efficiency increase from multiple
speakers. From your response to my three scenarios, it sounds like
that's not the case after all.

I think the baffle (could just as well have been a box) is put there
just to remove the radiation from the back side of the membrane. The
effect would have been similar with loudspeaker elements in free air,
but it saves some thinking :-) to put them in the baffle.

Goofball_star_dot_etal

On 7 Dec 2003 00:01:45 -0800, (Ken Kantor) wrote:

Sure, happy to comment:

Many thanks for your wise words. I hope they will convert a few
sceptics but it can be difficult to tell.

1- "20 to 20K."

I'm not exactly sure what the underlying question is here. Is isn't
particularly difficult to reliably measure 20 Hz speaker output,
especially using near-field techniques. It takes a good mic and
preamp, and the ability to examine the spectrum in order to understand
what is fundamental and what is harmonic distortion. Measuring very
long wavelengths is in many ways easier than measuring shorter ones,
provided you are not concerned with understanding room effects.

Quite a lot of fuss is made at times of the difficulty of
measuring low frequency response, particularly in an ordinary room.
Perhaps it is easy when you know how. I was wondering if the "in
speaker" method Svante and I described was in common use and if not,
why not?

2- "Multiples."

Though the question of what "efficiency" properly refers to is
perpetually ellusive, there is no doubt that more radiating area
increases low frequency efficiency.

"...it should be mentioned again that the radiating efficiency of a
direct-radiator loudspeaker can be increased at low frequencies by
mounting several units side by side in a single baffle. The mutual
interaction among the radiating units serves to increase the radiation
resistance of each unit substantially. For example, two identical
direct-radiators very near each other in an infinitely large plane
baffle, and vibrating in phase, will produce four times the intensity
on the principle axis as will one of them alone."

Beranek, "Acoustics," 1st Ed., 1954, p259.

Beranek often gets it right. . .

-k

Ken Kantor

You are very welcome.

It's been done, but it in common use. Why not? Because external
near-field techniques work well, and are much more direct and
convenient.

-k

ow (Goofball_star_dot_etal) wrote in message ...
On 7 Dec 2003 00:01:45 -0800,
(Ken Kantor) wrote:
Quite a lot of fuss is made at times of the difficulty of
measuring low frequency response, particularly in an ordinary room.
Perhaps it is easy when you know how. I was wondering if the "in
speaker" method Svante and I described was in common use and if not,
why not?

Svante

(Ken Kantor) wrote in message . com...
You are very welcome.

It's been done, but it in common use. Why not? Because external
near-field techniques work well, and are much more direct and
convenient.

Having seen the difference between near-field measurements in a studio
environment and the in-box method I feel I should add this:

1. The in-box method is in agreement with simulations well down to 10
Hz for the system we measure on (a butterworth bass-reflex box
designed for -3dB at 35Hz). We see some extra sloping of towards low
frequencies, probaly due to the microphone and the electronics.

2. SNR is great inside the box. The level easily reaches 120-140dB and
room noise at low frequencies is typically reach 50-70dB. This still
gives 50 dB SNR. That will NOT happen outside the box. Try to
demonstrate the slope of 24 dB/octave of a bass-reflex system below
the helmholtz frequency with near field measurements. Environmental
noise will disturb this measurement a lot.

3. A bass-reflex box is hard to measure near-field if the port and
speaker is separated by some distance. Half-way between the speaker
and port is maybe not "near-field".

4. Distorsion cannot, however be measured inside the box due to the
high SPL. There will be a lot of distorsion from the microphone.

I would guess that the reason that the method is not widely used is
the counter-intuitivity (is that proper english?!?) of the method, the
need to tilt the response by 12dB/octave and the fact that the method
is not well known. But it is great for LF!

Peter Larsen

Svante wrote:

4. Distorsion cannot, however be measured inside the box due to the
high SPL. There will be a lot of distorsion from the microphone.

You can not call it measurement with an unlinear microphone, so do not
overload it.

I would guess that the reason that the method is not widely used is
the counter-intuitivity (is that proper english?!?) of the method, the
need to tilt the response by 12dB/octave and the fact that the method
is not well known. But it is great for LF!

Ad notam.

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

Tony Pearce

"Svante" wrote in message
om...
3. A bass-reflex box is hard to measure near-field if the port and
speaker is separated by some distance. Half-way between the speaker
and port is maybe not "near-field".

Exactly how the two fields (or 3 or even 4 for a vented D'Appolito design)
actually combine in the far field, is something routinely ignored by many
when making near field measurements. But the error will be less when
combining woofer and port outputs, compared to a dual woofer set up at
slightly higher frequencies.

TonyP.

Svante

"Tony Pearce" wrote in message . au...
"Svante" wrote in message
om...
3. A bass-reflex box is hard to measure near-field if the port and
speaker is separated by some distance. Half-way between the speaker
and port is maybe not "near-field".

Exactly how the two fields (or 3 or even 4 for a vented D'Appolito design)
actually combine in the far field, is something routinely ignored by many
when making near field measurements. But the error will be less when
combining woofer and port outputs, compared to a dual woofer set up at
slightly higher frequencies.

It should not be THAT hard to add the two signals, given that phase
and amplitude is taken into account. Of course that depends on what
you mean with "near field"; if the microphone is put VERY close to the
membrane/port, then the effective distance (ie the amplitude) may be
hard to estimate correctly. On the other hand, the "inside-the-box"
method elegantly adds up the two volume flows automatically.

Svante

Peter Larsen wrote in message ...
Svante wrote:

4. Distorsion cannot, however be measured inside the box due to the
high SPL. There will be a lot of distorsion from the microphone.

You can not call it measurement with an unlinear microphone, so do not
overload it.

I think that was my point, that this method is NOT suited for
distorsion measurement, since the microphine itself will contribute
more to the distorsion than the loudspeaker itself. Frequency
response, however, works great. FR is essentially a small-signal
measurement. Just drop the level sufficiently, and the distorsion will
be low (even from the microphone) and will thus not affect the
frequency response.