ChrisCoaster

Default Ancient Topic: Stereo > Mono "Switch"

EUREKA!!

Some of you may remember me bringing up how to build one of these in a
thread that goes back almost to last December.

Well, it seems I discovered a "quick n' dirty" method of building a
S2M switch right into a pair of RCA cables:

Take two stereo cables(3', 6'), and place a "Y" adaptor on both the
red and white(R & L) cables of the first cable. Barrel one branch of
each Y into the red and white males of the second cable.

Now: leave the remaining "Y" branches open - Stereo. Barrel 'em
together: MONO!!

Only catch - Should I figger on how to put some type o' resistor on
that mono thingie?? Or just insert so the negative(outer shield) is
not closed??

-ChrisCoaster

"PS going to mono like that is a good test of phase balance for stereo
and older Pro Logic systems"
Peter Larsen

ChrisCoaster wrote:

EUREKA!!

Some of you may remember me bringing up how to build one of these in a
thread that goes back almost to last December.

Well, it seems I discovered a "quick n' dirty" method of building a
S2M switch right into a pair of RCA cables:

Take two stereo cables(3', 6'), and place a "Y" adaptor on both the
red and white(R & L) cables of the first cable. Barrel one branch of
each Y into the red and white males of the second cable.

Now: leave the remaining "Y" branches open - Stereo. Barrel 'em
together: MONO!!

Only catch - Should I figger on how to put some type o' resistor on
that mono thingie?? Or just insert so the negative(outer shield) is
not closed??

Yes, using say a 1 kOhm series resistor in each channel prior to the
mono-combiner is well behaved.

-ChrisCoaster

"PS going to mono like that is a good test of phase balance for stereo
and older Pro Logic systems"

* \\\\\\\ Quality Ascii handcrafted by Peter Larsen /////// *
* \\\\\\\ My site is at: http://www.muyiovatki.dk /////// *

ChrisCoaster

Peter Larsen wrote in message ...

Yes, using say a 1 kOhm series resistor in each channel prior to the
mono-combiner is well behaved.

_____________

What if no resistors used?? I only mono it briefly.

-CC

Peter Larsen

ChrisCoaster wrote:

Peter Larsen wrote in message ...

Yes, using say a 1 kOhm series resistor in each channel prior to the
mono-combiner is well behaved.

What if no resistors used?? I only mono it briefly.

Bets begin to go "off" because it gets too easy for signal to flow
between the outputs you sum. I'll leave it to more knowledgeable guys to
explain what is more probable ... just attenuation or increased
distortion due to incorrect signal entering the feedback loop or
frequency response issues due to unlinear output impedance or "all of
the above", but those are my instinctive worries.

-CC

Kind regards

Peter Larsen