Brian

Default BOSE can sound good in a small room

I had so many replies in my last post about BOSE that I thought I'd
better start a new post. No one wants to read 199 or so posts and some
of the posts were not related to my question.

Thank you for all your helpful replies.

It's possible that the BOSE speakers do not sound good in a large
room.
The Room I have my BOSE speakers in is 5 x 3.5 meters. The distance
from the speakers is 3 meters.
The BOSE sub woofer is in a corner facing the wall so that low
frequency sound bounces off the wall giving me more bass volume.
If I turn up the volume too high then the speakers don't sound so
good, for example when I say loud I mean so loud that I can't hear the
speech of someone standing next to me. I normally have the volume loud
enough to hear the phone ring or are able to talk to someone next to
me without shouting.

So what I'm saying is BOSE can sound good but only in a certain setup.

I had a listen a pair of Paradigm speakers. One was called "Esprit"
the other "Phantion". They're floor standing speakers. They seem to
sound their best with music that rapidly changes in volume such as
orchestra music that has impact as they have a wide dynamic range.
They lacked in imaging and in deep bass as there low frequency
response was 45Hz.

Regards Brian

ren

You are ****ing brain dead.
ren

I take that back, your either brainwashed or tone deaf or both.
ren

You are your brainwashed or tone deaf or both.

But I will give you this one break in that you have never probably heard
a real quality hifi, which coincidentally you could assemble for as much
or less than your bose crap you are trying so hard to convince yourself
is worth anything over the $1 you spent on it.

Than again after reading all the wonderful posts with so much
information including a link to why bose IS NOT hifi I can see that you
are simply HOPELESS. So please just shove the bose up your ass and go
away with your bull **** trolling activities.
ren

Brian wrote:
[...]

I want to be polite but simply put with no way around it you are just
plain wrong about your observations. Unless you are using them as
headphones and even then your results are questionable. Have you ever
heard a real hifi? The previous thread had links to detailed
information regarding the inadequacies of bose systems did you read
them. You are really turning into a troll or someone with severe buyers
remorse trying to convince themselves of something is scientifically
untrue. If bose floats your boat then be quiet and float away but don't
be a FOOL and try to convince rational audiophiles that bose is anything
even nearly resembling true fidelity. Bose is an attempt at getting a
certain kind of concert like live sound it is not accurate 20Hz-20kHz
+/- 3dB sound reproduction. That said a pair of good tweeters costs
more than those dinky distortion producing non uniform frequency
outputting mid bass drivers (if they can even be called that) that are
in your bose system. Please sit in your room and listen to your bose
system and enjoy it, because I'm sure it can be enjoyable but again
don't try to convince anyone that it's hifi. Thanks.

playon

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:08:04 +1200, Brian wrote:

The BOSE sub woofer is in a corner facing the wall so that low
frequency sound bounces off the wall giving me more bass volume.

Right...
ren

Brian wrote:
I had so many replies in my last post about BOSE that I thought I'd
better start a new post. No one wants to read 199 or so posts and some
of the posts were not related to my question.

More on Bose. It's a never ending oddesy.

Thank you for all your helpful replies.

But did they make an impression? Did you look at some of the posted
links that discuss the Bose dilemma in detail?

It's possible that the BOSE speakers do not sound good in a large
room.
The Room I have my BOSE speakers in is 5 x 3.5 meters. The distance
from the speakers is 3 meters.

Very scientific.

The BOSE sub woofer is in a corner facing the wall so that low
frequency sound bounces off the wall giving me more bass volume.

Yes more reflection gives more bass but...ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

If I turn up the volume too high then the speakers don't sound so
good, for example when I say loud I mean so loud that I can't hear the
speech of someone standing next to me. I normally have the volume loud
enough to hear the phone ring or are able to talk to someone next to
me without shouting.

This is also an indication of the fact that even when you can't hear the
speakers distorting at lower volumes they still are.

So what I'm saying is BOSE can sound good but only in a certain setup.

Totally subjective but yes they can if that is what you like, just don't
call them hifi or be under the misconception you can't get better
fidelity (more true output in relation to the source) for the same money.

I had a listen a pair of Paradigm speakers. One was called "Esprit"
the other "Phantion". They're floor standing speakers. They seem to
sound their best with music that rapidly changes in volume such as
orchestra music that has impact as they have a wide dynamic range.
They lacked in imaging and in deep bass as there low frequency
response was 45Hz.

You Bose system probably doesn't go anywhere near that low and if you
put the Paradigm in the same corner where your sub is they would be
considerably lower sounding than your Bose sub. But you are saying that
the Bose have better imaging? I would submit that if you had the
Paradigm setup in your room not the store that the imaging would be far
superior to the Bose.

Regards Brian

Ren says enjoy your Bose but you should really read some of those links
listed in the previous thread. Hey if you like the way they sound then
that's the whole point but you should try and hook up with an audiophile
can let you listen to a hifi system I think you will be impressed.
SSJVCmag

On 3/30/05 7:06 PM, in article , "ren"
wrote:

Brian wrote:
I had so many replies in my last post about BOSE

I want to be polite but simply put with no way around it you are just
plain wrong

Brian and all you Kids, let's edit those crosspost headers.
It's Easy,
It's Fun
and it makes you smarter than the dolt who snuck so many unwanted
destinations in there!
Go for it!
Thanks!

SSJVCmag

On 3/30/05 10:02 PM, in article , "ren"
wrote:

Ren says enjoy your Bose

Ren and all you Kids, let's edit those crosspost headers.
It's Easy,
It's Fun
and it makes you smarter than the dolt who snuck so many unwanted
destinations in there!
Go for it!
Thanks!

RichA

[...]

Paradigm are garbage. Cheap componentry and the wattage handling
ratings are way too high. The produced a set of self-powered speakers
some years back. The components they used for the internal amps
weren't even fit for a sub-woofer and those parts which cost around
$12 per speaker effectively doubled the speaker price versus the
non-powered ones. When they bought Sonic Frontiers it was a black
day in audio.
-Rich
Peter Larsen

John Brock wrote:

Ren and all you Kids, let's edit those crosspost headers.

Excuse me, but I don't understand your complaint. Why exactly
should the headers be trimmed, and more importantly, how?

Because you are wasting peoples time, bandwidth and diskspace in
newsgroups that are not relevant for the topic. that belongs in
rec.audio.opinion only.

Is this discussion inappropriate for one of the three
audio newsgroups to which it was posted?

YES!

(Actually only two -- "rec.audio.option" doesn't seem to exist).

Someone would have posted it to rec.audio.opinion, where it belongs.

If so, which one, and why?

This is about someones opinion, it is not about facts. Therefore it
belongs in rec.audio.opinion only.

I hope you are not one of those newbies who is under the mistaken
impression that crossposting is always wrong.

Crossposting is intented for use in asking a question that may belong in
several newsgroups. As an example room acoustic issues that are relevant
for alt.audio.pro.live-sound may require the expertise found in
alt.sci.physics.acoustics. Normally the questionee crossposting a
question would also suggest a newsgroup for the discussion and add a
followup-to: header pointing at it.

The capability was built into the system quite deliberately,
and this looks like an appropriate use of that capability to me.

It is not suitable to crosspost permanently into newsgrops where the
topic is off topic.

Maybe I'm wrong.

It is probably more fair to say that your comprehension of this appears
to be incomplete.

But without some sort of explanation you are just giving
orders that you have no way of enforcing!

Welcome to the usenet. Consider yourself flamed. A followup-to: header
pointing at rec.audio.opinion has been added.

John Brock

Kind regards

Peter Larsen

* My site is at:
http://www.muyiovatki.dk *
John Brock

wrote:

Ren says enjoy your Bose

Ren and all you Kids, let's edit those crosspost headers.
It's Easy,
It's Fun
and it makes you smarter than the dolt who snuck so many unwanted
destinations in there!
Go for it!
Thanks!

Excuse me, but I don't understand your complaint. Why exactly
should the headers be trimmed, and more importantly, how? Is this
discussion inappropriate for one of the three audio newsgroups to
which it was posted? (Actually only two -- "rec.audio.option"
doesn't seem to exist). If so, which one, and why? I hope you
are not one of those newbies who is under the mistaken impression
that crossposting is always wrong. The capability was built into
the system quite deliberately, and this looks like an appropriate
use of that capability to me. Maybe I'm wrong. But without some
--
John Brock

Geoff Wood

"Brian" wrote in message
I had so many replies in my last post about BOSE that I thought I'd
better start a new post. No one wants to read 199 or so posts and some
of the posts were not related to my question.

Thank you for all your helpful replies.

It's possible that the BOSE speakers do not sound good in a large
room.
The Room I have my BOSE speakers in is 5 x 3.5 meters. The distance
from the speakers is 3 meters.
The BOSE sub woofer is in a corner facing the wall so that low
frequency sound bounces off the wall giving me more bass volume.
If I turn up the volume too high then the speakers don't sound so
good, for example when I say loud I mean so loud that I can't hear the
speech of someone standing next to me. I normally have the volume loud
enough to hear the phone ring or are able to talk to someone next to
me without shouting.

What you describe is not 'good sound' by any stretch of the imagination.

A turd in a big room is still a turd in a small room.

geoff

So what I'm saying is BOSE can sound good but only in a certain setup.

I had a listen a pair of Paradigm speakers. One was called "Esprit"
the other "Phantion". They're floor standing speakers. They seem to
sound their best with music that rapidly changes in volume such as
orchestra music that has impact as they have a wide dynamic range.

You mean that the Bosii have poor dynamic range, and you prefer 'flat' music
?

They lacked in imaging and in deep bass as there low frequency
response was 45Hz.

'Deep bass' cannot exist in a small room like that. It to do with things
like physics and wavelength. The great quantity of whatever you are getting
by 'subwoofer' placement is NOT deep bass.

geoff

Brian

RichA wrote:

[...]

OK Rich, what speakers would you recommend?

Regards Brian

Brian

ren wrote:

You are your brainwashed or tone deaf or both.

But I will give you this one break in that you have never probably heard
a real quality hifi, which coincidentally you could assemble for as much
or less than your bose crap you are trying so hard to convince yourself
is worth anything over the $1 you spent on it.

Than again after reading all the wonderful posts with so much
information including a link to why bose IS NOT hifi I can see that you
are simply HOPELESS. So please just shove the bose up your ass and go
away with your bull **** trolling activities.

Just out of interest ren have you actually listened to BOSE speakers
or are you basing your judgement on what you have read?

Regards Brian

Brian

ren wrote:

Brian wrote:
[...]

Please do be polite.
I believe that some speakers are better for Rock music, some speakers
are better for classical music and some speakers are better for
movies.
These days you have buy a set of 5 speakers and a sub for $199 at a
store that sells food, but I'm sure they would be much worse than BOSE
speakers.
I took peoples advice and listened to a pair of Paradigm speakers. I
was hoping to listen to other speakers but the sells man seemed to be
keen on wanting me to listen to only this brand of speakers.
I'm hoping to listen to other brands of speakers. Ideally it would be
good to setup a pair of speakers in my home and that way I could get
to hear what they really sound like, but most dealers are not keen on
having speakers go out of the store for a demo.

I'm not tone death or brain dead as you said. I have an open mind else
I would not bother to read the replys or listen to other speakers.

Regards Brian
Brian

ren wrote:

Brian wrote:
[...]

I have read all the 200+ replies and are reading the links, some links
have been very helpful.
I'm beginning to think that saterlite speakers are good for surround
sound movies and bookself or floor standing speakers are good for
music.

Regards Brian
Brian

RichA wrote:

[...]

Thanks for your comment Rich. I was hoping someone would comment on
these speakers. The advert seems to suggest that they are budget
speakers and they are not expensive so like you say they don't sound
as good as other speakers (BOSE not included).

Regards Brian

Brian

"Geoff Wood" wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I'm just saying that BOSE have limits

A turd in a big room is still a turd in a small room.

All I'm saying is they become unbearable to listen to at a higher
volume.

geoff

So what I'm saying is BOSE can sound good but only in a certain setup.

I had a listen a pair of Paradigm speakers. One was called "Esprit"
the other "Phantion". They're floor standing speakers. They seem to
sound their best with music that rapidly changes in volume such as
orchestra music that has impact as they have a wide dynamic range.

You mean that the Bosii have poor dynamic range, and you prefer 'flat' music

No I'm saying that I was impressed with the speakers by hearing an
impact when the music suddendly increased in volume such as classical
music does. So maybe the speakers are better suited to orchestra
music.
?

They lacked in imaging and in deep bass as there low frequency
response was 45Hz.

'Deep bass' cannot exist in a small room like that. It to do with things
like physics and wavelength. The great quantity of whatever you are getting
by 'subwoofer' placement is NOT deep bass.

What ever was lacking.

geoff

Thanks for your comments geoff

Regards Brian

Brian

ren wrote:

You are your brainwashed or tone deaf or both.

But I will give you this one break in that you have never probably heard
a real quality hifi, which coincidentally you could assemble for as much
or less than your bose crap you are trying so hard to convince yourself
is worth anything over the $1 you spent on it.

Than again after reading all the wonderful posts with so much
information including a link to why bose IS NOT hifi I can see that you
are simply HOPELESS. So please just shove the bose up your ass and go
away with your bull **** trolling activities.

Let me make one thing clear- I'm an open minded person and not narrow
minded. I welcome peoples comments and find them useful.
I intend to listen to other brands of speakers.

Regards Brian

Brian

playon wrote:

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 11:08:04 +1200, Brian wrote:

The BOSE sub woofer is in a corner facing the wall so that low
frequency sound bounces off the wall giving me more bass volume.

Right...

Does that mean you agree with me.
I think I got the idea of facing the bass and sub woofer speaker at
the wall from a HiFi magazine.

Regards Brian

ren

Brian wrote:
ren wrote:

Brian wrote:

[...]

Then Brian you are in denial. I just reread the Bose FAQ link that was
posted, it boggles my imagination (which is very rich) on how you can
ignore everything in there and make up conclusions like a distinction
between movies and music to justify the Bose systems lack of performance.

Here then is the part that is upsetting. Your Bose in hifi circle are
good for nothing. But they are advertised well and uniformed people buy
them thinking they own the holy grail. Now you are informed but you
can't accept that they are low quality. If you enjoy listening to them
it doesn't mean they are good, just that they are good to you.

I've had enough of your Bose misconceptions for a lifetime. Enjoy your
speakers and stand on the rooftops and shout they rock. You will find a
lot of company that agrees but in the back of your mind you will know
your moped is not a Ferrari at all.
ren

snip

They lacked in imaging and in deep bass as there low frequency
response was 45Hz.

'Deep bass' cannot exist in a small room like that. It to do with things
like physics and wavelength. The great quantity of whatever you are getting
by 'subwoofer' placement is NOT deep bass.

What ever was lacking.

geoff

Thanks for your comments geoff

Regards Brian

Glad to see you thanking rational posters BUT DO YOU UNDERSTAND and more
importantly ACCEPT REALITY.
ren

Brian wrote:
ren wrote:

You are your brainwashed or tone deaf or both.

But I will give you this one break in that you have never probably heard
a real quality hifi, which coincidentally you could assemble for as much
or less than your bose crap you are trying so hard to convince yourself
is worth anything over the $1 you spent on it.

Than again after reading all the wonderful posts with so much
information including a link to why bose IS NOT hifi I can see that you
are simply HOPELESS. So please just shove the bose up your ass and go
away with your bull **** trolling activities.

Just out of interest ren have you actually listened to BOSE speakers
or are you basing your judgement on what you have read?

Regards Brian

This is exactly what I mean. Brian I don't care what your preferences
are but when you continue to try to convince us that your Bose are good
quality IT IS LAUGHABLE I only wish you understood how laughable it is
so that you'd finally be quiet. Yes I have listened to Bose and I
understand a bit better than you and have a decent system so I can hear
how crappy they are. Moreover I can also see the other side (your side)
in that without knowledge or a reference how they can be pleasurable to
listen to. FINE. Then listen to them and enjoy them.

ren

Brian wrote:
ren wrote:

Brian wrote:

[...]

You can't correct a wrong with another and use that as a basis for
thinking that the first wrong is then correct. If you want to stay in a
budget I think you need to go with used equipment. Pick up a pair of
ADS speakers on ebay. You can get a pair that used to sell for $800 for
around $200. Models L810, L710, L780, L520. It can be a four driver
three way system or a three driver three way system or a two driver two
way system. Any of those will serve you well and far outperform the
paradigm or the bose. Go take a look and post back as to what you are
considering we'll guide you along as to if they look OK. Here is an
example:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...sPageName=WDVW

These will sound fine and are in great condition. Another option is to
get a pair of B&W. I've been following them in ebay lately trying to
zero in on a purchase here are the average selling prices over the last
month. You can try for a pair of DM601 S1.

Series 1
600
601 276
602 374
602.5
603 495
604 705

Series 2
600
601 339
602 398
602.5
603 627
604 925
605 885

Series 3
600 297
601 335
602 491
602.5 576
603
604

Either the ADS or the B&W are fine speakers and will play loud and NOT
DISTORT, they have full bandwidth and smooth clear sound with very good
imaging)

What say you?
ren

Brian wrote:
ren wrote:

You are your brainwashed or tone deaf or both.

But I will give you this one break in that you have never probably heard
a real quality hifi, which coincidentally you could assemble for as much
or less than your bose crap you are trying so hard to convince yourself
is worth anything over the $1 you spent on it.

Than again after reading all the wonderful posts with so much
information including a link to why bose IS NOT hifi I can see that you
are simply HOPELESS. So please just shove the bose up your ass and go
away with your bull **** trolling activities.

Let me make one thing clear- I'm an open minded person and not narrow
minded. I welcome peoples comments and find them useful.
I intend to listen to other brands of speakers.

Regards Brian

Glad to hear it as it will only benefit your ultimate listening
experience. I would seriously go used you're going to get a lot more
for your money as long as your seller has a good reputation. Also check
out Audiogon.com for B&W and ADS you'll find a lot of great deals there
too. Not to mention you can read some of the forums discussing $$$$$$$
speakers.
Brian

ren wrote:

Brian wrote:
ren wrote:

Brian wrote:

[...]

In my statement " I'm beginning to think that satellite speakers are
good for surround sound movies and bookshelf or floor standing
speakers are good for music."
I was NOT referring to BOSE speakers. I was meaning any brand of
speaker.

Regards Brian

Brian

ren wrote:

snip

They lacked in imaging and in deep bass as there low frequency
response was 45Hz.

'Deep bass' cannot exist in a small room like that. It to do with things
like physics and wavelength. The great quantity of whatever you are getting
by 'subwoofer' placement is NOT deep bass.

What ever was lacking.

geoff

Thanks for your comments geoff

Regards Brian

Glad to see you thanking rational posters BUT DO YOU UNDERSTAND and more
importantly ACCEPT REALITY.

I don't mind being the student.
I have a thirst for knowledge.
I'm not disagreeing with anyone.

Regards Brian
Brian

ren wrote:

Brian wrote:
ren wrote:

Brian wrote:

[...]

Thanks ren.
I've found in the past that I end up spending a bit more money than I
expected to else I limit my choice.
I hope to try some B&W speakers soon.

Regards Brian

ren

Brian wrote:
ren wrote:

Brian wrote:

ren wrote:

Brian wrote:

[...]

Here is a less expensive B&W which I don't think will perform as well as
the DM600 series. BUT read the details and look at the graphs it will be
good for your thirst for knowledge. BTW plastic boxes like bose uses
really do a poor job with the accelerometer testing of the cabinet
resonances. This greatly colors/distorts the signal you are listening to.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT
SSJVCmag

On 3/31/05 4:45 AM, in article , "Geoff Wood"
wrote:

'Deep bass' cannot exist in a small room like that.

Geof and All you guys gals and others,
get the fraggin crossposts cleaned up so
this thread ONLY shows up WHERe it's REALLY WANTED.

No reason not to.

It's Quick!
It's Fun!
It's EASY!
It earns you the respect and eternal homage of
Well
SOMEBODY I'd guess.
Just Do It.
Now