Brian

Default BOSE speaker help needed please

I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.

I read in a article that the frequency range is:
Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
frequency range.
There seems to be gaps at
20Hz to 46 Hz
202Hz to 280Hz and
13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.

I recently brought a sub woofer to try and full in the gap at the low
frequency range. The sub woofer is 28Hz to 200Hz.
I can't see anyway of disableing the BOSE bass speaker so that the Sub
Woofer is used.
I have a Surround 5.1 sound decoder in my DVD player and connected the
player to the ampilifer using 6 leads (one for each speaker). In doing
this I was hoping that the subwoofer would get only the low frewuency
sounds. I have since found that the cut off frequency for the sub
woofer filter built into the DVD player is 120K Hz. This leaves a gap
from 120K Hz to 202K Hz.
Another reason for connecting the amplifer with 6 leads was to be able
to play super audio cd's (SA-CD).

Any advice would be most welcome.

Regards Brian
Trevor Wilson

"Brian" wrote in message
I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.

I read in a article that the frequency range is:
Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
frequency range.
There seems to be gaps at
20Hz to 46 Hz
202Hz to 280Hz and
13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.

**Correct.

I recently brought a sub woofer to try and full in the gap at the low
frequency range. The sub woofer is 28Hz to 200Hz.
I can't see anyway of disableing the BOSE bass speaker so that the Sub
Woofer is used.

**Correct. There isn't.

I have a Surround 5.1 sound decoder in my DVD player and connected the
player to the ampilifer using 6 leads (one for each speaker). In doing
this I was hoping that the subwoofer would get only the low frewuency
sounds. I have since found that the cut off frequency for the sub
woofer filter built into the DVD player is 120K Hz. This leaves a gap
from 120K Hz to 202K Hz.
Another reason for connecting the amplifer with 6 leads was to be able
to play super audio cd's (SA-CD).

Any advice would be most welcome.

**Sell the Bose and buy some proper equipment. You'll need to spend around
20% of the RRP of the Bose to get an equivalent sound quality.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Joe Sensor

BOSE speaker help needed please

Bose suck. Get some good speakers.
Ozzy 2005

SNIPT

great description of the frequency response or lack thereof of a bose system

SNIPT

CHECK THIS OUT so you'll come up with the courage to sell or return the
plastic boxes.

http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html
Robert Morein

"Brian" wrote in message
I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.

I read in a article that the frequency range is:
Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
frequency range.
There seems to be gaps at
20Hz to 46 Hz
202Hz to 280Hz and
13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.

You seem quite a bit more intelligent than the typical Bose owner.
Ditch them. You deserve better.

Brian

"Trevor Wilson" wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks Trevor and others for your reply's.
Could someone suggest a suitable system to replace the BOSE speakers.
I have a small sized room so a sub woofer with satellite speakers
(surround sound 5.1 setup) would be more suitable at around 100 watts.
The only speakers I have looked at so far are the Sony brand.

Regards Brian
Joe Sensor

Brian wrote:

Thanks Trevor and others for your reply's.
Could someone suggest a suitable system to replace the BOSE speakers.
I have a small sized room so a sub woofer with satellite speakers
(surround sound 5.1 setup) would be more suitable at around 100 watts.
The only speakers I have looked at so far are the Sony brand.

Sony's are not going to be the best either, though preferable over the
Bose. Just do a little surfing and research. I have a very nice Polk
system. There are many others.
Trevor Wilson

"Brian" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

**Since you're a Kiwi, I suggest you look towards some Kiwi manufactured
speakers. Some Aussie speakers are also likely to be good value for money
too. In the final analysis, however, you should trust your own ears. Some
Aussie brands worth considering:

Krix
VAF
Orpheus (My favourites)
Sonique
Legend

Not all of these are likely to be available, however.

Some Pommy speakers worth considering:

B&W
KEF
JM Labs
ProAc
Spendor
Epos
Monitor Audio

Some Yank/Canadian speakers worth considering:

Paradigm
Definitive Technology
Energy
NHT
Theil
Infinity

Some Euro speakers worth considering:

Jamo
Canton
Dynaudio
MB Quart
Triangle
Sonus Faber (breathtakingly beautiful to look at)

Almost all the above companies manufacture nothing but quality products (you
will find some exceptions, though) throughout their ranges. Where possible,
however, you are likely to be saving money by buying Kiwi/Aussie products.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Joseph Oberlander

Brian wrote:
I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.

I read in a article that the frequency range is:
Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
frequency range.
There seems to be gaps at
20Hz to 46 Hz
202Hz to 280Hz and
13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.

Correct. It's no better than most computer speakers. Not
surprizing considering the 2 inch speakers.

I recently brought a sub woofer to try and full in the gap at the low
frequency range. The sub woofer is 28Hz to 200Hz.

It's a woofer. That's right - the woofers for the system are
put in a little box. A subwoofer won't do anything to fix this
as the fundamental problem is the cheap satellites. 2 inches is
a dreadful compromize. It's not a woofer, it's not a tweeter.

Unfortunately, your only recourse is to sell the system(they
seem to get a good price used, though), and get a proper
home stereo system. Or at least, a proper "home theatre in
a box" setup.

Joseph Oberlander

Brian wrote:

Thanks Trevor and others for your reply's.
Could someone suggest a suitable system to replace the BOSE speakers.
I have a small sized room so a sub woofer with satellite speakers
(surround sound 5.1 setup) would be more suitable at around 100 watts.
The only speakers I have looked at so far are the Sony brand.

It all depends upon your budget. You can get something equal sounding
but with better bass from Energy(Take 5.2 system), or by spending $1000
or more, sound that is equal to or better than a movie theater.

Logan Shaw

Joseph Oberlander wrote:
It all depends upon your budget. You can get something equal sounding
but with better bass from Energy(Take 5.2 system), or by spending $1000
or more, sound that is equal to or better than a movie theater.

If I were to judge by the last movie theater I visited, I'd have to say
movie theater sound sucks rocks. The last place I went, which is a
popular theater in a nice part of town, they had a very unnatural bass
boost. By ear I would say it was maybe 10 dB at around 100 Hz, or
maybe a little lower. It sounded atrocious. I don't know why people
would want to emulate them. Maybe other theaters are better, but
overall I can't say I look to movie theaters as a shining example of
high fidelity.

- Logan
Trevor Wilson

"Paul Dormer" wrote in message
"Trevor Wilson" emitted :

Some Pommy speakers worth considering:

snip

JM Labs

... these guys are French.

**I know. I just did that to **** off the Poms/French.

Seriously, it was a typo. I had considered placing a single category for
Euro/Pommy speakers, but changed my mind later on. JM Labs got left behind.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Eiron

Trevor Wilson wrote:

Some Pommy speakers worth considering:

B&W
KEF
JM Labs
ProAc
Spendor
Epos
Monitor Audio

You missed out Tannoy, or does Scottish not count as Pommy?
Or are they not worth considering?

--
Eiron.
Ian S

"Brian" wrote in message
[...]

First of all, don't panic. While Bose may not represent the pinnacle of
audio technology, it's certainly not nearly as bad as you're being led to
believe. A test of the Bose Accoustimass 5 system some years back did not
display these gaps so I'd be surprised if your system which has one more
cube pair did. You might try leaving your entire Accoustimass system
connected (center, front left and right) and hooking up your sub to the sub
out from your amp. If you have crossover control for your sub, you could set
it to cut off frequencies above about 50 herz where the Accoustimass system
picks up. You may want to play around with placement of your sub and the
Bose woofer to see if you can achieve something that sounds good to you. If
that simply doesn't work, then there is an active market for your Bose
system on eBay although that may be problematic for you due to location.
Alternatively, set up the Bose system with an inexpensive receiver in
another room where you watch TV or listen to FM, then build a new surround
system around your sub.

Since you already have a sub, you have quite a few avenues open to you.
Because you have a small room, you may want another satellite system - I'm
pleased with my Hsu Ventriloquist but then I also have an Hsu sub that
matches it well. An advantage of the Ventriloquist is that it is gives you
6.1 instead of 5.1. The Hsu allows you, if you want, to connect the center
rear (sixth speaker) so as to get pseudo 6.1 sound out of 5.1 material. Good
luck.

Regards Brian

Trevor Wilson

"Eiron" wrote in message
Trevor Wilson wrote:

Some Pommy speakers worth considering:

B&W
KEF
JM Labs
ProAc
Spendor
Epos
Monitor Audio

You missed out Tannoy, or does Scottish not count as Pommy?
Or are they not worth considering?

**I missed out dozens of decent brands. You may care to note my words:
"...SOME Pommy brands worth considering..." I did not make that list all
inclusive.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Brian

"Ian S" wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Thanks Ian your advice.
Its good to have an alternate reply for the BOSE system when there are
many against BOSE speakers.
One problem I'll have is getting the sub woofer to work with the BOSE
speakers as my amplifier can either have low frequency sound going to
the sub woofer output or mix the low frequency with the other channels
and have the BOSE bass model filter off the bass.
The sub woofer has a built in filter which will allow me to connect
the higher frequency speakers to the sub woofer. I'm hoping to connect
my Kef C25 speakers to the sub woofer and let the sub woofer's filter
do it's job. I have an A,B speaker switch on the amplifier so I'll be
able to switch between BOSE and Kef speakers.

Regards Brian
Ian S

"Brian" wrote in message
"Ian S" wrote:

"Brian" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I would think you'd be best to have as much as possible of the low frequency
sound go directly to your sub woofer. From what you say about your DVD
player, that will be the frequencies below 120 Hz and your sub will be fine
with that. So frequencies above 120 Hz will be going to the other speakers:
front left and right, center and surrounds. The Accoustimass 7 system will
then simply be the front and center speakers. That means the Bose bass
module won't be getting anything below 120 Hz, but I don't think that really
matters.

The sub woofer has a built in filter which will allow me to connect
the higher frequency speakers to the sub woofer. I'm hoping to connect
my Kef C25 speakers to the sub woofer and let the sub woofer's filter
do it's job. I have an A,B speaker switch on the amplifier so I'll be
able to switch between BOSE and Kef speakers.

Regards Brian

I'm not sure I understand where the Kef speakers are coming in. If you are
creating a parallel system to the Bose where both setups use the same sub, I
can't really say how that would work. Whatever you do, my understanding is
that you should avoid splitting up the Bose system to run its individual
components separately. Keep it together as a package (front left, right and
center) or eliminate it entirely from your system.

Bob Cain

Brian wrote:
I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.

I read in a article that the frequency range is:
Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
frequency range.
There seems to be gaps at
20Hz to 46 Hz
202Hz to 280Hz and
13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.

How did you do this measurement? If in a room that allows
reflections, the gaps could be destructive interrerence from
objects (like walls) in the room. In that case,
equalization is your enemy because in trying to compensate
one point you can drive other points to absurd levels.

The only way to clear a room of these modal problems is to
make it anechoic and most people don't seem to like listen
to reproduction in that situation.

If you don't have an anechoic room for measurement, I
suggest using the out of doors, in a clearing, on a calm
day, with the speakers on their backs on the ground pointing
up and the mic suspened a couple of meters above. Use a
flat measurement mic. Behringer makes one that is very
inexpensive and has been found to be quite good for such things.

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Ozzy 2005

SNIPT
How did you do this measurement? If in a room that allows reflections,
the gaps could be destructive interrerence from objects (like walls) in

All due respect he is saying GAPS not lulls and it is bose we are
talking about here. Tests like those you speak of have been done by
professionals, since you missed it in the thread here is a link:

http://home.earthlink.net/~busenitz/bs.html

I don't want to put down anyone LIKES the bose sound. It's subjective
and if you want that atmospheric, loose, ambient, concert hall
reproduction type thing fine. Musical listening is about enjoyment and
if that floats your boat - excellent. BUT if we are talking about
frequency response accuracy,

PLEASE it's not the room OK
Scott Dorsey

Brian nospam@hotmail wrote:
I have a BOSE Acoustimass 7 (3 saterlite speakers and bass speaker) I
brought this for surround sound. I have two BOSE VS100 small sized
speakers at the back of the room, near the ceiling.

I'm sorry.

I read in a article that the frequency range is:
Base module 46Hz to 202Hz at +-2.3dB
Satellites 280Hz to 13.3k Hz at +-10.5 dB
Can someone who has tested these speaker confirm that this is the
frequency range.

Sure. Those are useless numbers... you'll notice that the satellite
and subwoofer are listed with "ranges" that don't even overlap. If
you actually saw a sweep test on this crap, your eyes would bug out.
But those seem reasonable enough numbers for anechoic testing.

Notice the +-10.5 dB tolerances on the satellite test. Isn't that
hilarious? That basically makes the range itself pretty much
meaingless. If you use wide enough tolerances, you can say ANYTHING
has a wide frequency response.

There seems to be gaps at
20Hz to 46 Hz
202Hz to 280Hz and
13.3k Hz to 20K Hz.

There are gaps all over the place. Again, with such wide tolerances
you can't even tell how many there are. The frequency response on these
things basically looks like the Appalachians with really no midrange
to speak of.

I recently brought a sub woofer to try and full in the gap at the low
frequency range. The sub woofer is 28Hz to 200Hz.

And what's the response across that range?

The basic problem with all of these things is that the satellites are
too small to have any real midrange response. Below 1 KC or so they
pretty much fall like a rock and then the subwoofer picks up well below
that. You'll notice there is no bass imaging whatsoever, and that bass
runs basically sound like one note being played over and over. That
is because the bass itself is restricted to a fairly narrow range if
you actually look at the response plot.

Again, ignore the "ranges" because they don't tell anywhere near all
of the story, especially with those wide tolerances.

I can't see anyway of disableing the BOSE bass speaker so that the Sub
Woofer is used.

If you used a real sub with the Acoustimass satellites, you'd have no
midrange at all and things would be even worse.

I have a Surround 5.1 sound decoder in my DVD player and connected the
player to the ampilifer using 6 leads (one for each speaker). In doing
this I was hoping that the subwoofer would get only the low frewuency
sounds. I have since found that the cut off frequency for the sub
woofer filter built into the DVD player is 120K Hz. This leaves a gap
from 120K Hz to 202K Hz.
Another reason for connecting the amplifer with 6 leads was to be able
to play super audio cd's (SA-CD).

Basically, these systems are totally worthless junk and they are designed
to look good and sound exciting in the store, not to actually be accurate
to to listen to for the long term. There is no way to make the Acoustimass
system sound anything even remotely close to accurate.

Replacing these with a cheap pair of mid-fi bookshelf speakers will be much
more of an improvement than going to SACD sources ever will.

Scott Dorsey

Joe Sensor wrote:

Sony's are not going to be the best either, though preferable over the
Bose. Just do a little surfing and research. I have a very nice Polk
system. There are many others.

In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of the
better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.

Ever been in an actual Bose store? I sat through their bull**** demo
and then asked if I could arrange a comparison of their system with a
legit system. Oh no. It took me about ten minutes to prove to the
salespeople themselves, that they had no idea of what the words they
were saying to me really meant. They went to talk to the manager, and
then I was promptly told that obviously I was there to "disrupt their
business" (no other customers were there) and would need to leave.

A couple of years later I ran into one of the employees there that
day. He had been fired shortly thereafter and told me that they openly
told their salespeople that "hardcore audio nerds" were trouble and
should be kicked out with vigor and that they were wasting their time
learning any technical knowledge of any product but Bose or any
electronics in general. "We don't sell sound", they were told, "we
sell convenience and simplicity. The nerds are just a bunch of people
with no money that just want to play with themselves, and we let them.
Stick to exactly what we teach and you'll do okay. "

Tell me Trevor, why does Australia and New Zealand manufacture so
little stuff for export? You'd think they could build some really cool
stuff but I just don't see any of it. A recent Stereophile article
lauds a superexpensive piano, but AFAIK goes on to say none are in
North America now. And their guitars are atrocious.

Trevor Wilson

wrote in message
oups.com...
Tell me Trevor, why does Australia and New Zealand manufacture so
little stuff for export?

**There's a bunch of reasons, but the big one is historical. Back in the
1960s, Australia was the wealthiest nation on Earth (per capita). Our
considerable natural resources were dug up, grown and exported. We were (as
we used to say) "Riding on the sheep's back". We missed an excellent
opportunity to develop our own manufacturing industry in the 1950s and
1960s, due to this attitude. Australia, for instance, manufactured more
automobiles than Japan, during the early 1950s. For many years our
manufacturing industries have been protected by massive tarifs and taxes,
thus causing Aussie manufacturers to become complacent and lazy. Although
that time has finished, we are unlikely ever to catch up. Nowadays, things
are different. Australia's 'movers and shakers' are not interested in the
future. They're either interested in the here and now, the next election, or
the next profit announcement. Few take the long term outlook required to
build up decent manufacturing. There are a few exceptions, however. The very
excellent Pontiac GTO is one.
http://www.pontiac.com/gto/index.jsp...&pagename=home is an all
Aussie auto. Although the manufacturer is a GM subsidiary, they are
profitable and build autos uinque to this country. They, for instance, the
only GM subsiary which designs, engineers and builds it's own RWD,
independent suspension, large autos (at least that is what I'm told).

Now we have a mineral boom again and the cycle may well continue again. The
Aussie Dollar is rising (against the US) which will kill our manufactured
exports.

You'd think they could build some really cool
stuff but I just don't see any of it.

**Australia does build some cool stuff, but you don't see a lot of it.
Building stuff in Australia is often more difficult and more expensive than
in the US.

A recent Stereophile article
lauds a superexpensive piano, but AFAIK goes on to say none are in
North America now. And their guitars are atrocious.

**I understand that some Aussie guitars are pretty good, but that is not my
field of expertise.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Ozzy 2005

with no money that just want to play with themselves, and we let them.

nice - meanwhile my interconnects cost more than the best bose system -
what a joke - but that's sales isn't it - these days watching the news i
feel that's what they've become too - just salespeople instead of reporters

Ian S

"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message
Joe Sensor wrote:

Sony's are not going to be the best either, though preferable over the
Bose. Just do a little surfing and research. I have a very nice Polk
system. There are many others.

In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of the
better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.
--scott

Any chance you could get your snout any higher into the stratosphere?

Joseph Oberlander

Logan Shaw wrote:

Joseph Oberlander wrote:

It all depends upon your budget. You can get something equal sounding
but with better bass from Energy(Take 5.2 system), or by spending $1000
or more, sound that is equal to or better than a movie theater.

If I were to judge by the last movie theater I visited, I'd have to say
movie theater sound sucks rocks. The last place I went, which is a
popular theater in a nice part of town, they had a very unnatural bass
boost. By ear I would say it was maybe 10 dB at around 100 Hz, or
maybe a little lower. It sounded atrocious. I don't know why people
would want to emulate them. Maybe other theaters are better, but
overall I can't say I look to movie theaters as a shining example of
high fidelity.

Well, you can recreate the impact. The quality of a good system
in the $2000 or so range is vastly superior in terms of quality
and accuracy, of course.

But Bose just isn't going to cut it if you want a real movie
or live performance experience.

Richard Crowley

The subject line says it all, doesn't it? :-)
Help is needed all around: the company, the speakers,
and the victims er. customers.
Joseph Oberlander

Basically, these systems are totally worthless junk and they are designed
to look good and sound exciting in the store, not to actually be accurate
to to listen to for the long term. There is no way to make the Acoustimass
system sound anything even remotely close to accurate.

Actually, they are designed exactly like they are for one reason:

- They were designed to sound great in very noisy environments.
The same environments that you get in a shopping mall. There
is a huge amount of background noise that makes speakers sound
flat and dull in this situation.

So Bose made the speakers to sound good in that environment,
or to be more specific, artificially boost them to sound somewhat
normal instead of sucked out like everything else.

Of course in a quiet environment(home), they sound like the
crap they are.

Joseph Oberlander

Joe Sensor wrote:

Sony's are not going to be the best either, though preferable over the
Bose. Just do a little surfing and research. I have a very nice Polk
system. There are many others.

In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of the
better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.
--scott

Any chance you could get your snout any higher into the stratosphere?

Energy? Most of us would consider them to be about as budget
as you can go and create a decent setup. It's not like he
recommended a setup with $1500 bookshelf speakers.

Brian

Bob Cain wrote:

Brian wrote:
[...]

Hi Bob.
If you take another look at my post I stated that "I read in an
article...." about the frequency reponses
If you'd like to read the article you'll find it at
www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Regards Brian

Brian

(Scott Dorsey) wrote:

Brian nospam@hotmail wrote:
[...]

Thanks for your comments Kludge
If you want to take a look at the graphs for the test results they can
be found at
www.intellexual.net/bose.html

Regards Brian

Bob Cain

Brian wrote:

Hi Bob.
If you take another look at my post I stated that "I read in an
article...." about the frequency reponses

Sorry. By the time I got to the end of it I'd lost track of
that.

If you'd like to read the article you'll find it at
www.intellexual.net/bose.html

I Don't have time right now to go read the article. Does it
say how the data it reports was taken?

Bob

simpler."

A. Einstein
Logan Shaw

Joe Sensor wrote:

Sony's are not going to be the best either, though preferable over the
Bose.

In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of the
better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.

Any chance you could get your snout any higher into the stratosphere?

Seems that you can get some PSB bookshelf speakers for $349. That's
not exactly Wal*Mart level prices, but do keep one thing in mind: it's
still cheaper than your typical Bose satellite system!

- Logan
Arny Krueger

"Ian S" wrote in message
news1t%d.292291$0u.280226@fed1read04
"Scott Dorsey" wrote in message

In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of
the better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.

Any chance you could get your snout any higher into the

stratosphere?

A totally uncalled-for attack.

These aren't stratospheric brands - they all have well-engineered
offerings that fit in the middle-low end of mid-fi. Just because you
can't find them at Best Buy doesn't mean they are high end. ;-)

Arny Krueger

Joe Sensor wrote:

Sony's are not going to be the best either, though preferable

over
the Bose.

In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of
the better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.

Any chance you could get your snout any higher into the

stratosphere?

Seems that you can get some PSB bookshelf speakers for $349. That's
not exactly Wal*Mart level prices, but do keep one thing in mind:
it's still cheaper than your typical Bose satellite system!

The point is well-taken. The real problem with Bose home audio isn't
the quality (it would be good at some low price point), and there are
no problems with the price points (they would be OK if the quality
were commensurate). What's wrong with Bose is all about value.

The price/performance problem with Bose home speakers becomes apparent
when you compare them to similarly-priced offerings from PSB, Boston
Acoustics, Energy, Paradigm, NHT and etc.

George M. Middius

Ian S said:

In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of the
better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.

Any chance you could get your snout any higher into the stratosphere?

There's always Arnii F. Krooger, who tells us that speakers by Quad,
Martin-Logan, Magnepan, Spendor, and many other brands are threats to our
religious security.

Notwithstanding, it is a fact that those companies make low-priced
speakers. If you think otherwise, then you must be very ignorant about the
consumer audio marketplace. Just like Krooger. ;-)

Brian

Bob Cain wrote:

Brian wrote:

Hi Bob.
If you take another look at my post I stated that "I read in an
article...." about the frequency reponses

Sorry. By the time I got to the end of it I'd lost track of
that.

If you'd like to read the article you'll find it at
www.intellexual.net/bose.html

I Don't have time right now to go read the article. Does it
say how the data it reports was taken?

Bob

Just thought you might be interested in the graphs in the article.

The article says that the data came from the August 1999 issue of
Sound and Vision. Also other bencemark tests from a few independent
audiophiles and industry professions are always consistent.

Regards Brian

Arny Krueger

"George M. Middius" wrote in message

Ian S said:

In the bargain basement range I would look at PSB, Energy, some of
the better Paradigm boxes, and NHT.

Any chance you could get your snout any higher into the

stratosphere?

There's always Arnii F. Krooger, who tells us that speakers by Quad,
Martin-Logan, Magnepan, Spendor, and many other brands are threats

our religious security.

This would be yet another Middius lie of 100's if not 1,000's, given
that I have written favorable items about Quad and Magnepan. My
less-than favorable comments about certain Martin-Logan speakers were
simply some of those personal opinions based on personal preferences
that Middius accuses me of hating.

No Spam

"Ozzy 2005" wrote in message
with no money that just want to play with themselves, and we let them.

nice - meanwhile my interconnects cost more than the best bose system -

Hee hee. Talk about a gullible idiot chump!