No, it is not an 'EXPLANATION'.

Well, it's a heck of a lot more of an explanation than you've got.

This is where you're mistaken, and you refuse to admit it.

Your
"explanation," which you haven't bothered to share with us yet, would
require the rewriting of physics and/or psychology textbooks.

???? I am unable to follow you here. If 'X' causes 'Y' in an observer
(Q), and observer Q reports hearing 'Y' whenever listening to 'X', and
we conclude that 'X' is the source of 'Y', then no further proof is
warranted, because we have located the cause of 'Y' as outside of 'Q'.
If, however, you argue that 'Q' is the source of 'Y', you have to
establish why (in detail) 'Y' always appears when exposed to 'X', and
perhaps never with exposure to 'Z' or 'B'. The fact that you have
located the source of 'Y' within 'Q' requires MORE explanation that if
it is located within 'X'. Do you understand why that is? IOf similar
causes produce similar effects, and 'X' is the sourcve of 'Y', then
there is no need for further inquiry. The cable is the source of the
sound difference, so naturally when the cable is withdrawn and
replaced, the sound difference comes and goes with it. It is simple
direct causation. If, however, the observer is the source of the sound
difference , and nonetheless the sound difference also vanishes when
the cable is withdrawn and reappears when it is replaced (and at no
other time and with no other product), you have some explaining to do,
to account for HOW this might occur. Simply claiming 'expectation bias'
won't do, not even for a mere discussion. It's an insufficient
explanation.

Sigh. I am tired of being taking to task by a man who apparently hasn't
the slightest grasp of the standards necessary to produce reliable,
repeatable results in the field he is talking about. First of all, you
have no data. None. Your assertion that you heard something, and then
a reviewer reported "the same thing" is meaningless, because you
haven't established either:
1) a clear standard for what would constitute "the same thing"; or
2) that you aren't both influenced by, for example, the same
manufacturer's claims for the product.

You also ignore the problem that it is physically impossible to repeat
a sighted listening test. The reason for this is simple: The second
time you do the comparison, you have more "information" about the two
cables than you had the first time--specifically, you now know the
result of the first comparison, and that cannot help but affect your
subsequent comparisons. If you can't see why, ask any psychologist.

Now please, please go learn something--at least a little--about
experimental psychology, it's methods and standards of scientific
evidence. Then you'll understand why all your little stories mean
nothing.

bob
Mark DeBellis

Chung wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:

What matters, or might well matter to some, is whether the information
derived from one source, or its perceptual effect, is the same as that
from another source (in blind musical listening). Why should we assume
that
this reduces to a matter of detecting differences?

Because if a difference is not detected by the listener, then the two
sources *must* sound the same to the listener. It's really that simple.

Well, I *think* my post of Aug. 24, 8:09 pm, contains a counterexample
to that claim; please tell me what you think. Probably it is worth
stressing that I have temporally extended, or time-distal, cases in
mind.

To say that two sources "sound the same" to a listener is in a certain
way ambiguous. It can mean (1) it seems to the listener that one is
just like the other, or (2) the way one source sounds to the listener
is just the same as the way the other sounds to the listener. These
are not the same thing, because for (1) to be true the listener has to
make a judgment of sameness, whereas he need not do so in order for (2)
to be true. (2) is true if the properties the listener hears source A
as having are the same as the properties he hears source B as having.
That is independent of whether he compares the two, whereas (1) is
about making a comparison and arriving at a judgment of sameness or
difference.

In (2), we are saying that sameness holds between what the listener
perceives on one occasion and what he perceives on another; in (1),
sameness enters into the content of the listener's judgment. Sameness
is in a certain sense "external" to the listener's mental state in (2),
"internal" in (1).

I would resist the claim you make above on either interpretation,
actually, because, regarding (1), a person who doesn't detect a
difference (in time-distal comparison, say) might simply refrain from
judging one way or the other (saying, "I have no idea whether they were
the same or different"), and regarding (2), please see the post
referred to, because that should illustrate it.

(I would also wonder whether "sounding the same" entails having exactly
the same perceptual effects, or conveying the same information.)

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Buster Mudd wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
Buster Mudd wrote:

I think you keep harping on this notion that our perceptions of these
two very different phenomena should somehow be similar. The phenomena
(musical memory & audio memory) are similar only in that they are
initially triggered by an auditory stimulus; beyond that they are so
dissimilar, both in their own content & in the methods by which we
perceive them, that to refer to them both as "information we pick up in
this way" is to incorrectly characterize them. We *don't* pick up both
types of information in the same way once the auditory stimulus has
gotten past the ear.

I have no idea if our perceptions of them should be similar or
different, but given that we have tests for one kind of information,
how are we entitled to rely on those tests to tell us that there are no
differences in the other kind of information?

We're not; but has anyone claimed otherwise? I don't recall anyone in
rec.audio.high-end ever asserting that tests...be they ABX, DBT, quick
switch, slow switch, monadic, any kind of tests at all...could or
couldn't determine differences in our perceptions of *musical content*.

Every reference to using statistical testing to identify perceived or
imagined differences I've come across here has been pertaining to sonic
attributes of audio components.

It was the example of SACD vs. CD that I started with, so let me return
to that. I thought the idea was that certain tests could tell us that
SACD and CD are perceptually equivalent (if they are). If the tests
don't tell us that there are no differences in the kind of information
that has to do with the longer-term kind of memory, how do they show
perceptual equivalence?

(By "perceptually equivalent" I mean, more or less, equivalent for all
relevant intents and purposes, so that no one could rationally prefer
one to the other for its *sonic* attributes.)

Mark

wrote in message
Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 26 Aug 2005 00:45:57 GMT, wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
'Expectation bias' may EXIST but it is not an EXPLANATION of any
given
phenomenon.

Of course it is. It explains why people think a Krell amp sounds
better than a Yamaha.

No, it is not an 'EXPLANATION'. You don't understand what an
'explanation' is.

Sure I do - you just don't like the explanation.

How does a response like this get approved?

'Expectation bias' is NO explanation at all. It is simply assigning a
nebulous 'cause', just like saying 'topspin' makes the ball dip. This
is true, but insufficient as an EXPLANATION. HOW does topspin make the
ball dip?

How is of less consequence than the fact that cables DON'T sound different
when sound alone is the only tool for identity.

Is it so hard to believe that human being simply wish things to sound
different, expect them to sound differently, and then perceive it to be so
during sighted comparisons?

If they really did sound different from each other someone would have been
able to tell that in a DBT. The fact is simply that those who have tried
have failed.

Human psychology being what it is, I have no problem understanding that
people believe what they choose, and sometimes perceive what they wish, but
the key word is wish.

If you trieds the video clip demonstrating the McGurk effect, you should
know that hearing is very easily fooled by the eyes.

The difference between this and the myth of 'cable sound' is that
anyone can strike a ball with spin, and observe the effect. *NO ONE*
can listen to two cables and tell them apart by sound alone.

I CAN! I HAVE!

Then do it again and claim $5K.

Chung

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Chung wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
I think you are saying the same thing that I have been trying to say,

I don't think so.

and you put it very well. It may be that there are differences between
the presentations, but you can't detect them.

You certainly reduce your ability to detect subtle differences if the
presentations are far apart in time. That is why we believe that quick
switching is the most effective method.

It is others who have
(apparently) been arguing that if you can't detect a difference, there
can't *be* a difference between the presentations.

If you cannot dectect a difference using quick switching under blind
conditions, while you previously could detect differences under sighted
conditions, then it is very likely that you simply cannot detect
differences, regardless of whether there is any detectible difference.
What is detectible to someone else may not be to you.

And, of course, there are differences between presentations that simply
are not detectible. For instance, a 0.01 dB difference in level.

By a "difference between two presentations" I would understand this to
mean a difference between what you perceive in one and what you
perceive in the other, not just that there is some physical difference
out there.

No, I simply mean some physical difference in the sound waves received
by your ears.

OK, thank you then for the clarification. I agree with pretty much
everything you say. I'm just saying something different.

What matters, or might well matter to some, is whether the information
derived from one source, or its perceptual effect, is the same as that
from another source (in blind musical listening). Why should we assume
that
this reduces to a matter of detecting differences?

Because if a difference is not detected by the listener, then the two
sources *must* sound the same to the listener. It's really that simple.

Actually to be more fully correct, if a difference is not detected by
the listener under the given test conditions, then they must sound the
same under those conditions.

Actually, the qualification you added does not make my statement any
"more truly correct". What you were trying to say is that there might be
some test conditions where the listener could detect differences. If
that is the case, then the listener simply can detect differences under
those test conditions, and of course the two will therefore not sound
the same to that listener under those test conditions. Rather obvious,
is it not?

Harry Lavo

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article , Chung
wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Chung wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

Thank you, Jenn, for clarifying the issue so beautifully. As Mark has been
arguing, the "conditions" of a quick, switch, comparative double blind abx
test are quite different from extended sequential monadic listening done in
a normal listening environment through various listening sessions. Since
listening to music is subjective and has a strong emotional component, we
cannot be sure we are hearing or measuring the same thing (Mark's main
point) and we certainly *can* be sure that "under those conditions" are not
the same.

Stewart Pinkerton

On 27 Aug 2005 00:19:45 GMT, wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
On 26 Aug 2005 00:45:57 GMT,
wrote:

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:
'Expectation bias' may EXIST but it is not an EXPLANATION of any given
phenomenon.

Of course it is. It explains why people think a Krell amp sounds
better than a Yamaha.

No, it is not an 'EXPLANATION'. You don't understand what an
'explanation' is.

Sure I do - you just don't like the explanation.

How does a response like this get approved?

The moderator felt it was clearly the truth? :-)

'Expectation bias' is NO explanation at all. It is simply assigning a
nebulous 'cause', just like saying 'topspin' makes the ball dip. This
is true, but insufficient as an EXPLANATION. HOW does topspin make the
ball dip?

HOW?

HOW does 'expectation bias' produce aural phenomena.

HOW?

Does it matter, when the *effect* is real in each case?

The Bernoulli effect is an explanation of why a
tennis ball curves more than gavity predicts when struck with spin. You
cannot simply say 'the ball curves because it is struck with spin'. The
does not explain the curving path.

The difference between this and the myth of 'cable sound' is that
anyone can strike a ball with spin, and observe the effect. *NO ONE*
can listen to two cables and tell them apart by sound alone.

I CAN! I HAVE!

No, you can't, and you certainly haven't. If you could, why haven't
you collected the $5,000 prize?

What 'reality' are you talking about?

The real one - all nominally competent cables sound the same.

Begs the question. 'Nominally competent' is BY YOUR DEFINITION
incapable of sounding different.

Nominally competent means that when you measure at the speaker
terminals, the cables measure within 0.2dB of each other at 1kHz and
10kHz. That's the *only* precondition, and I'm not aware of any audio
cable at any price (plus of course good old Home Depot zipcord) that
won't achieve this into any normal loudspeaker. Certainly, I've never
had a problem even with totally different constructions such as Litz
wire and Naim NACA5.

Hence, you are just ducking the issue.

The question is rather DO ANY cables
or amplifiers sound different. The answer is blatantly, obviously,
incontrovertibly, YES!

Some amplifiers do, but no cable (see the only condition above) sounds
different from any other cable. To claim that it does, is utter
nonsense.

Common
sense says they should, physics and electrical engineering predicts
that they do, and no one has *ever* demonstrated an ability to hear
differences under blind conditions.

Irrelevant.

Sure it's relevant. Which part of 'no one has *ever* demonstrated an
ability to hear differences under blind conditions' is not utterly and
totally relevant to your false claim that cables sound different?

You are making an extraordinary claim. Prove your claim, or stop all
this nonsense.

No, YOU are making an extraordinary claim.

Simply repeating this nonsense will *never* make it true.

Jenn

In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Chung wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

Obvious, yes, but left out of your paragraph. Your paragraph would seem
to indicate that if a listener hears no differences under a specific set
of conditions, then the listener will hear no differences under any
conditions. This, of course, is not a given.
Jenn

"Harry Lavo" wrote:

"Jenn" wrote in message
In article , Chung
wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Chung wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

Indeed true, in my opinion. Listening to music, for most people, is
largely a right-brain based experience. For good discussions of this,
see Gardner: Frames of Mind and on a less technical level, Kerman:
Listen. At the end of the day, I think that the left brain vs. right
brain ways of dealing with the world might well be the basis for the
heated arguments on this topic. For example, a person who experiences
music in a highly right-brain oriented way, would, I believe, have a
great deal of difficulty during the experience of a quick switch test.
I hope to experience such a test soon which will help inform this thesis.

Thanks for your kind words,
Jenn (listening to a beautiful LP of the Netherlands Wind Ensemble doing
the Stravinsky Octet. Ahhhh....)

[...]

What DATA are you talking about? This is not and cannot be scientific
experiment. I am talking about my experiences and the reports of others
with similar experiences.

Your assertion that you heard something, and then
a reviewer reported "the same thing" is meaningless, because you
haven't established either:
1) a clear standard for what would constitute "the same thing"; or
2) that you aren't both influenced by, for example, the same
manufacturer's claims for the product.

What claims? I don't pay any attention to ads. The claims would not, in
any case, be translatable to anything that I heard. No ad has EVER
claimed that cables or amps sound anything like what I have heard in
comparative listening. The differences are complex, rich, and difficult
to describe. No 'ad' has ever led me to expect anything like what I
heard, or described anything like what I heard. I cannot describe
exactly what I heard, to be frank. I CAN, however, tell THAT I heard a
difference, and that I preferred one to the other.

In fact, in some cases, my experiences were quite contrary to my
'expectations'. The Harman-Kardon power amplifier which I auditioned
sounded quite flat and lacking in dynamics, in spite of the fact that
the salesman told me that that was its strong point. Several other amps
which I auditioned exhibited a more dynamic sound.

If 'expectation bias' is your explanation for my experience, you need
to account for its failure to act in many instances.

You also ignore the problem that it is physically impossible to repeat
a sighted listening test.

How do you know what I have done? I sit in the dark and listen
carefully to a passage with which I am very familiar. I switch the
cables or amplifiers and listen to the same passage, and try to note
what, if any, differences present themselves.

I own several sets of interconnect cable, bought over a period of
years. I had settled on a pair of $50 Monster cable interconnects,
simply because they were longer than the others I had, and I needed the
length. When I brought home the $100 Monster cable interconnect (same
length), I listened to several of my other cables as well, just to see
what was what. There was no significant difference among several of the
other cables, including custom-made ones, and the $50 Monster
interconnect. When I put in the $100 ones, I heard a difference. The
difference disappeared when I switched them out. I listened to all of
the cables in the dark, because I can hear better in the dark.

The reason for this is simple: The second
time you do the comparison, you have more "information" about the two
cables than you had the first time--specifically, you now know the
result of the first comparison, and that cannot help but affect your
subsequent comparisons. If you can't see why, ask any psychologist.

Unprovable, at best.

Now please, please go learn something--at least a little--about
experimental psychology, it's methods and standards of scientific
evidence. Then you'll understand why all your little stories mean
nothing.

This is not a scientific experiment, sir. It is a product comparison. I
have to satisfy NO-ONE but myself. Any comparisons I make are made in
such a way that maximizes the authenticity of the comparisons. I do not
practice astrology, nor have I have ever been abducted by aliens. I
have a degree in philosophy, and I am well-read in the philosophy of
science. You are discussing this with someone far more expert in these
matters than you are.

A typical contemporary work that you may want to look at is:

"Philosophical Explanations" by Robert Nozick

Saying that I heard what I 'expected' because of 'expectation bias' is
a miserable tautology. It proves nothing. It explains nothing. It's
just like phlogiston. You need to come up with a rich explanation that
explains the phenomena without assigning the cause to the cables or
amps AND excludes the possibility that the cables or amps sound
different because of something inherent in the cables or amps. EVEN IF
'expectation bias' is operative in some instances, it cannot account
for all of the phenomena with which I am acquainted, especially
including experiences that are odds with my expectations.

'Expectation bias' is not used in the literature the way you use it.
Your argument is therfore supsect right from the start.

Chung

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Chung wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

I would then suggest that you are not reading carefully and are drawing
erroneous inferences.

And, of course, another obvious point is that if you really want to find
out whether two pieces of equipment, or two presentations, sound the
same, then you should try to detect differences using the most sensitive
conditions for detection: quick switching, double-blind, tests using the
most revealing source material.

Chung wrote:

And, of course, another obvious point is that if you really want to find
out whether two pieces of equipment, or two presentations, sound the
same, then you should try to detect differences using the most sensitive
conditions for detection: quick switching, double-blind, tests using the
most revealing source material.

This is false. It takes me a while to hear all the differences bewteen
products. Different program material presents different aspects for
evaluation. Quick switching is worthless, in my experience.

What DATA are you talking about? This is not and cannot be scientific
experiment. I am talking about my experiences and the reports of others
with similar experiences.

Excuse me? You made the very testable claim that you can hear the
difference between cables. Fine, let's test it.

According to current scientific theory (and as a student of the
philosophy of science, I presume you will not come back with the old
"but that's just a theory" line), there are basically three possible
reasons (assuming no mechanical failures, like bad connectors) why you
might have such an experience:

1) The electrical characteristics of those cables are such that one
attenuates the signal substantially more than the other, resulting in
an audible decrease in the volume emerging from the speakers.

2) The electrical characteristics of those cables are such that one
attenuates certain frequency ranges of the signal substantially more
than the other, resulting in an audible difference in the frequency
response emerging from the speakers.

3) You imagined that you heard a difference, based not on the sound
produced but on other things you knew or believed about those cables.

That's it. So far as I know, physics has discovered no other possible
explanations for audible differences between cables beyond #1 and 2
above. As for #3, the propensity of humans to hear differences where
none exist is well-established.

Given these facts (and if you do not believe they are facts, you will
have to take that up with the relevant scientific specialties), there
are two ways to test your claim:

1) We could measure the cables, and determine whether they would indeed
attenuate the signal enough to be audible. That would confirm or
eliminate signal attenuation as an explanation.

2) We could subject you to a blind test, to determine whether you can
indeed distinguish between these cables when you do not know which is
which. This could eliminate imagined sonic difference as an explanation
(although, admittedly, it cannot confirm it).

Up to now, no one has ever been able to hear a difference between two
cables (or any other passive device, for that matter) in a blind
comparison, unless they also measured differently enough to produce an
audible difference. I'm reasonably confident that you can't, either.

bob
Mark DeBellis

Harry Lavo wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
the same to the listener. It's really that simple.

Actually to be more fully correct, if a difference is not detected by
the listener under the given test conditions, then they must sound the
same under those conditions.

Thank you, Jenn, for clarifying the issue so beautifully. As Mark has been
arguing, the "conditions" of a quick, switch, comparative double blind abx
test are quite different from extended sequential monadic listening done in
a normal listening environment through various listening sessions. Since
listening to music is subjective and has a strong emotional component, we
cannot be sure we are hearing or measuring the same thing (Mark's main
point) and we certainly *can* be sure that "under those conditions" are not
the same.

Also ...

1. One current sticking point is whether it makes sense to say that
someone is perceiving different things but doesn't perceive a
difference. I know some of you think I am confused about this, but I
don't think I'm confused. I think there is a genuine distinction to be
made here that sometimes gets sloughed over by ordinary language.

Why is this relevant to audio? Because the thought (FWIW) is that you
could listen to source A, which is a 5-minute song on SACD, then source
B, a 5-minute song on CD, and perceive different things, yet at the end
of it all not be reliably able to judge *that* they are different
(i.e., reliably "perceive a difference"). And if the answer to this
is, "DeBellis, you're just confused; it doesn't even make sense to say
that you could hear different things, i.e., properties, unless you can
tell the sources apart in those circumstances," well, I don't think I'm
confused or that it doesn't make sense. And I've given a reason for
this in the example of time-distal comparison of sounds of different
loudness.

2. OK, suppose the response is then, but you can do short-term
time-proximate comparisons that *will* tell us if source A "sounds the
same" as source B to the listener. My point is simply that the goal
here must be for the tests to tell you whether the information or
perceptual effect of A over the 5-minute span is the same as B over the
5-minute span; and whether a short-term time-proximate test tells us
that will depend on interesting facts of empirical psychology. It is
not just a matter of logic. It's not that, "Well, if they sound the
same they sound the same," because we are talking about how things
"sound" in different circumstances.

If short-term time-proximate tests tell us what they are said to tell
us, then, among other things, it can't be the case that small,
indiscernible effects accumulate over time in a way that makes for a
difference in what things we perceive.

Now I happen to think that that's interesting, and sorry if anyone else
doesn't. The validity of short-term time-proximate comparisons (to
show what they're purported to show) depends on certain empirical
conditions being true; it's not just a matter of logic or a tautology
about how things "sound."

The question then arises as to how we know that those conditions are
true, and again this seems to me to be an interesting question.

In connection with audio tests, I get the impression, though I could
well be wrong, that the main attention has been focused on momentary
properties of the signal rather than with properties perceived over
longer spans (I suspect that the latter aren't ordinarily even
considered), and that the notion of "perceiving different things" has
not been separated from the notion of "perceiving a difference." Hence
(a) there is not much, if any, evidence that perception over longer
spans fails to be predicted by short-term time-proximate tests, and (b)
that's not too surprising, because the tests aren't really probing for
such evidence.

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Chung wrote:

And, of course, another obvious point is that if you really want to find
out whether two pieces of equipment, or two presentations, sound the
same, then you should try to detect differences using the most sensitive
conditions for detection: quick switching, double-blind, tests using the
most revealing source material.

The question is whether presentation A (which may last 5 minutes, say)
supplies to a certain listener exactly the same information as
presentation B, or has the same perceptual effect as B.

The problem of finding out the answer to this is not exactly the same
problem as finding out if there are sonic differences between A and B.

Maybe there are tons of sonic differences that a given test will pick
up; and maybe for this reason it is the most sensitive test overall.
Still, there may be a certain class of differences, ones that are in
fact psychologically important, that the test does not pick up and was
not designed to pick up. So the question has to be, what is the best
test for the purpose at hand, a question of psychology, not what is the
most sensitive test for telling if two signals are the same or
different.

Mark

Mark DeBellis

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

No, you can't, and you certainly haven't. If you could, why haven't
you collected the $5,000 prize?

Say, what is this $5,000 test, anyway? :-)

Since there is a fairly high probability that, after enough trials,
*someone* will appear to distinguish the cables even though the outcome
is just chance --

-- in the same way that, if you flip a coin enough times, eventually
you're likely to get 10 heads in a row --

-- why don't we get together, all enter, and agree to split the money?

Has anybody figured the odds, anyway? What does it cost to enter? :-)

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Saying that I heard what I 'expected' because of 'expectation bias' is
a miserable tautology. It proves nothing. It explains nothing. It's
just like phlogiston. You need to come up with a rich explanation that
explains the phenomena without assigning the cause to the cables or
amps AND excludes the possibility that the cables or amps sound
different because of something inherent in the cables or amps. EVEN IF
'expectation bias' is operative in some instances, it cannot account
for all of the phenomena with which I am acquainted, especially
including experiences that are odds with my expectations.

'Expectation bias' is not used in the literature the way you use it.
Your argument is therfore supsect right from the start.

Let me describe an experience I had awhile back, for what it's worth.
I made copies of an audio track onto different brands of CD-R, and at
different recording speeds (4x, etc.). And I became convinced that the
sound on one was different from the sound on another. One was darker,
the other had more "ping." (Hard to put it into words.)

Then I listened randomly to one disc or the other, blind. And much of
the time (though not necessarily always) I heard the characteristic
"darkness" or "ping," but it often turned out that it was the "other"
disc that was playing.

So I do think that there is a certain tendency to hear differences that
are not there, a tendency of the ear or mind to make things sound
different when they are not in that respect different. (I wasn't aware
of this phenomenon, or at least aware that it could be so definite and
vivid, until I encountered it in audio.) Whether this should be called
"expectation bias" is a good question, because I have no idea how any
particular expectations could have influenced my initial assignment of
qualities to one brand of disc (or speed) or another. But once I had
established the association, then, yes, I think I had certain
expectations as to how it would sound and that this probably helped to
cause me to hear the quality I expected to hear.

Something I found especially interesting was that there was nothing
about the experience of the "darkness" or "ping" to make me think that
anything but detection of a quality "out there" was going on. It
*felt* just like ordinary perception (whatever that means).

Now *of course* I don't know if anything like what went on in the
experience I reported is going on in your experience of cable
differences. Still, it's a question that could be asked: might it be?
Is that a possibility you might want to eliminate, just out of general
interest?

I don't know what the psychological explanation is for why I heard one
disc as "dark" and another as "pingy," but I do know that this sort of
illusory phenomenon does occur. You may be right that nobody can offer
a full-blown explanation of *why* the differences you hear are somehow
caused by expectation, but blind testing could help to show *that* such
a phenomenon is, or is not, occurring.

Mark
Ban

Jenn wrote:

Indeed true, in my opinion. Listening to music, for most people, is
largely a right-brain based experience. For good discussions of this,
see Gardner: Frames of Mind and on a less technical level, Kerman:
Listen. At the end of the day, I think that the left brain vs. right
brain ways of dealing with the world might well be the basis for the
heated arguments on this topic. For example, a person who experiences
music in a highly right-brain oriented way, would, I believe, have a
great deal of difficulty during the experience of a quick switch test.

I hope to experience such a test soon which will help inform this
thesis.

Yes Jenn, that is the only way.
Maybe you have noticed that much of this mental noise has been created by
people who have never experienced a properly conducted DBT, ABX or whatever
variant. Even the terminology is interpreted in different(erratic) ways.

Thanks for your kind words,
Jenn (listening to a beautiful LP of the Netherlands Wind Ensemble
doing the Stravinsky Octet. Ahhhh....)

This is how I'm listening to a test. I do not concentrate on certain
instruments, but try to hear into the space in front and around me. And at
the same time understand what the composer wanted to express: his joy or
sadness, his love, desperation, celebration, meditation...
Somehow also the musician feels the same and adds to the initial expression
of the composer his interpretation.

And then when I feel like switching, the performance goes on without
interruption. The piece continues on the same spot. A little "click" doesn't
dusturb me, but otherwise it is important that both streams are in sync and
there is no perceivable silence. This is a quick switch test. And what is
short is not the music snippet, but the switching action. Compare that with
changing the speaker cables or whatever in a long break etc.
Even a *one* second break is already disturbing and brings me back into the
brain... And you want to know how it sounds when *not* in the brain.
This is how from my experience I'm able to detect very miniscule differences
between two feeds.

--
ciao Ban
Bordighera, Italy

Mark DeBellis wrote:
wrote:

[...]

Hi Mark,

I've been interested in blind testing for a while. I posted about this
earlier this year.

I think there is a fundamental problem in comparing A to B, in audio:
that humans naturally shift their attention to new aspects of the sound
when hearing the same bit of music more than once. Suppose I listen to
track 1 of some CD, with amplifier A. Then I hook up Amplifier B and
listen again. Listening to A, I might have heard things like the
quality of the bassline, the smoothness of the midrange, etc. Then I
start to listen to B. I have been programmed with certain expectations
and a memory of the last details I heard--and, although I've
experimented with many styles of blind tests, I have not found a way to
escape those expectations. And, listening to a new piece of music
twice, I naturally hear different things the second time. Maybe this
time I hear the counterpoint. That doesn't necessarily have to do with
the amplifier--it is just a normal phenomenon.

Much classical music uses repeats: a section of music is played twice.
Why isn't this boring? Part of the reason is this normal phenomenon
that we shift our attention to new things.

Some of the 'objectivists' here advocate quick switching and using very
short excerpts. That does seem to get around this problem of shifting
attention, but on the other hand, one is no longer listening to the
music as music. I suspect that the audible qualities of equipment
manifest themselves in the experience of the music--in the way our
bodies move to music, in the enjoyment of the music, and so on.

So is there any way to conduct a blind test that listens to music as
music? Perhaps the test in which one lives with a component for a
while, a component that is a "black box" of unknown make.

Mike
Jenn

"Mark DeBellis" wrote:

Harry Lavo wrote:
"Jenn" wrote in message
the same to the listener. It's
really that simple.

[...]

Mark, what you write is very interesting. I'm current doing some
reading in the current and back issues of a scholarly journal called
"Music Perception" (University of California Press), and some of the
pieces there are applicable to our questions about audio listening, I
believe. I'll report here about what I learn, as I learn it.
Jenn

In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Chung wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
[...]

Untrue. Your statement suggests that if a listener doesn't hear a
difference in a test, that for that listener, there is no difference.
That thought doesn't at all take into account, for example, test
validity or testing conditions.

And, of course, another obvious point is that if you really want to find
out whether two pieces of equipment, or two presentations, sound the
same, then you should try to detect differences using the most sensitive
conditions for detection: quick switching, double-blind, tests using the
most revealing source material.

Perhaps. I'm researching that at present, along with research
concerning how we perceive music, particularly from a point of view of a
trained musician.

"Ban" wrote in message ...
Jenn wrote:

Thanks for your kind words,
Jenn (listening to a beautiful LP of the Netherlands Wind Ensemble
doing the Stravinsky Octet. Ahhhh....)

The Netherlands Wind Ensemble is perhaps the world's best. I'll never
forget hearing their recording of Mozart's Serenade in c minor, K.388. The
slow movement was unbelievably luscious.

Norm Strong

I've been interested in blind testing for a while. I posted about this
earlier this year.

I think there is a fundamental problem in comparing A to B, in audio:
that humans naturally shift their attention to new aspects of the sound
when hearing the same bit of music more than once.

This is certainly true. But it is true for ANY audio comparison,
sighted or blind. And it ought to give proponents of "long-term
listening" pause. After all, a valid comparison requires that you keep
all variables constant except the one you are testing. But, in a
listening test, the subject is a variable, and the subject is changing
constantly. That fact can confound any comparison, if not properly
controlled.

[...]

I find that my body often moves to music played on a boombox. I
certainly enjoy music played on many different systems, of greatly
varying caliber. So I suspect that, except for unlistenable levels of
distortion, the audible qualities of equipment do not affect the
experience of music. (Nonetheless, as an audiophile, I'd rather listen
to something that sounds more like a live performance.)

So is there any way to conduct a blind test that listens to music as
music? Perhaps the test in which one lives with a component for a
while, a component that is a "black box" of unknown make.

You, the subject, are still changing, and that would probably introduce
far too much statistical noise to ever reach a definitive (i.e.,
positive) result, even if your highly questionable hypothesis were
true.

bob
Jenn

"Ban" wrote in message ...
Jenn wrote:

Thanks for your kind words,
Jenn (listening to a beautiful LP of the Netherlands Wind Ensemble
doing the Stravinsky Octet. Ahhhh....)

The Netherlands Wind Ensemble is perhaps the world's best. I'll never
forget hearing their recording of Mozart's Serenade in c minor, K.388. The
slow movement was unbelievably luscious.

Norm Strong

Agreed on all counts. I heard them live in '88 at a conference. Just
wonderful. Their present recordings (only on CD) are concentrating on
very contemporary works. Also great. The sound on those old Philips
LPs is among the most natural sound recorded, IMO.... Mozart (virtually
all of the wind music), Richard Strauss (the best recording of the
beautiful Op. 7), Gounod, etc. Fantastic in all ways.
Harry Lavo

"Ban" wrote in message ...
Jenn wrote:

[...]

Your assumption, at least in my case, is wrong, Ban. I have done such
tests.

And what part of quick-switch, short-snippet, comparative testing (which is
what I object to) is hard to interpret? It is the combination of the three
that is the problem, not quick-switching per se. In rank order I rate a)
short-snippet, b) comparative, and c)quick-switching as factors that
potentially can contribute to flawed or invalid results.

[...]

I also listen this way when critically evaluating, Ban. But this is *not*
blind, abx style or ab style testing using short segments of sound repeated
a dozen and a half times...which is how Tom Nousaine, Arny, Stewart, and
other vociferous proponents of the test do it. In fact in any test that
requires dozens of "trials" this approach is simply too cumbersome because
each trial takes too long and ear/brain fatigue sets in. And stretching it
over a dozen or so days is impractical.

Also note, as you describe it, you are listening to a "performance", where
you can place sounds in context. ABX proponents disdain this, thinking that
castanets, crickets, or tympani strokes taken out of any other musical
context are enough. A lot of the confusion in trying to use these tests to
do open-ended evaluation of audio components, in my opinion, comes from the
fact that an adequate musical context is not established first as a basis
for the evaluation. For example, if evaluating tympani, the brain naturally
wants to take into account the acoustic environment it is in, and that in
turn will be generated from the sounds of the full orchestra. A tympani can
sound quite different depending on the acoustics of the auditorium and the
distance in the mincing. If listening to the full piece and concentrating
on the piece itself, one might come to the realization "I think something
doesn't sound right with the tympani's" using this amp...I haven't heard it
sound that way before on this recording, and it sounds less natural than it
does in the concert hall". Simply hearing a tympani out of context is not
likely to generate the same perception.

Moreover, longer term listening has an emotional component that takes time
to register (see Oohashi, et. al.). Quick switching even in a musical
context will dramatize some differences, but emotional response longer term
can also be affected by the gear doing the reproduction and this will take a
few minutes to sink in and may even be a much longer term factor.. It is
unlikely to be a quickly conscious factor...it is probably better expressed
via an unconscious "feeling" preference (right brain) than a conscious
choice (left brain). This is the one area that I think quick-switching
fails...the longer term effects simply don't always manifest themselves
right away.

Harry Lavo

"Mark DeBellis" wrote in message
Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

No, you can't, and you certainly haven't. If you could, why haven't
you collected the $5,000 prize?

Say, what is this $5,000 test, anyway? :-)

Since there is a fairly high probability that, after enough trials,
*someone* will appear to distinguish the cables even though the outcome
is just chance --

-- in the same way that, if you flip a coin enough times, eventually
you're likely to get 10 heads in a row --

-- why don't we get together, all enter, and agree to split the money?

Has anybody figured the odds, anyway? What does it cost to enter? :-)

Mark

It doesn't cost anything to enter, but then it also doesn't cost anything to
"contribute". A problem. There is absolutely no assurance that if somebody
did win there would actually be money contributed. And that's what
separates this little charade from reality. When they have all sent legally
binding promissory notes to an escrow holder, then we will know they are
serious..

What DATA are you talking about? This is not and cannot be scientific
experiment. I am talking about my experiences and the reports of others
with similar experiences.

Excuse me? You made the very testable claim that you can hear the
difference between cables. Fine, let's test it.

No, it's not testable. That's the point.

[...]

I'm not sure what electrical differences are possible. The differences
I heard in the cables' sound are hard to describe, but I'll try. High
frequency transients (e.g., brushed cymbals) seemed more realistic and
detailed, with more distinctness between events. Depth of image was
somewhat greater. Voices were more palpable. Bass lines were stronger.
The 'image' was overall more vivid, more realistic. Not only that, but
these traits were consistent between auditions and recurred over
several days.

(Unsupportable stuff snipped)

What DATA are you talking about? This is not and cannot be scientific
experiment. I am talking about my experiences and the reports of others
with similar experiences.

Excuse me? You made the very testable claim that you can hear the
difference between cables. Fine, let's test it.

No, it's not testable. That's the point.

More denial of reality. Do you really think that whole fields of
science do not exist simply because you don't know about them?

[...]

Well, knock me over with a feather.

The differences
I heard in the cables' sound are hard to describe, but I'll try. High
frequency transients (e.g., brushed cymbals) seemed more realistic and
detailed, with more distinctness between events. Depth of image was
somewhat greater. Voices were more palpable. Bass lines were stronger.
The 'image' was overall more vivid, more realistic. Not only that, but
these traits were consistent between auditions and recurred over
several days.

All of which, if a response to a real physical condition, must be the
result of the effect that said cables have on the electrical signal
passing through them. And since some folks DO know what electrical
differences are possible, we have the finite set of possibilities
listed above. We also have ways of testing and eliminating some of
those possibilities.

(Unsupportable stuff snipped)

More denial of reality.

bob
Chung

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:
In article , Chung
wrote:

Jenn wrote:

Well, Jenn, try to read carefully now. Here's what I said:

"Because if a difference is not detected by the listener, then the two
sources *must* sound the same to the listener. It's really that simple."

That means that if a listener does not detect any difference, in (a) a
test, or (b) in any test, or (c) in all tests, then the sources must
sound the same in (a) that test, or (b) in any test, or (c) in all
tests, *respectively*.

I did not say that if a listener does not hear any difference in one
test, then the two sources must sound the same under different test
conditions. That's what you believed I suggested, and that was an
erroneous inference from what I wrote. Note that I carefully did not
even say that there were no differences between the two sources. What
was important was that the two sources sound the same if the listener
could not detect any difference. Almost by definition.
Chung

Stewart Pinkerton wrote:

[...]

I am one of the contributors. I believe I said that I would contribute
$200. If "BEAR" were to enter to try to tell "silver wires" from normal
copper wires, I will contribute $500. If someone wants to set up an
escrow, I will gladly write the check.

Of course, Harry might have been right in an unintentional sort of way.
We contribute because we know that it probably will not cost us
anything, because (a) BEAR or anyone else (such as Harry) will likely
not take the test, and (b) if someone takes the test, he is most likely
to fail the test.
Buster Mudd

Mark DeBellis wrote:
Buster Mudd wrote:
Mark DeBellis wrote:
Buster Mudd wrote:

[...]

For clarity, I trust you won't mind if I rephrase that supposition as
"certain tests could tell us whether or not SACD and CD are
perceptually equivalent"? Because that is what you're saying, right?

If the tests
don't tell us that there are no differences in the kind of information
that has to do with the longer-term kind of memory, how do they show
perceptual equivalence?

And by "the kind of information that has to do with the longer-term
kind of memory" are you (once again) talking about Musical Content?

Because if so, that's *NOT* the "kind of information" that would allow
one to discern a perceptual equivalence between an SACD player and a CD
player...or between an SACD recording and a CD recording, for that
matter.

Norman M. Schwartz

"Chung" wrote in message
Chung wrote:

And, of course, another obvious point is that if you really want to find
out whether two pieces of equipment, or two presentations, sound the
same, then you should try to detect differences using the most sensitive
conditions for detection: quick switching, double-blind, tests using the
most revealing source material.

This is false. It takes me a while to hear all the differences bewteen
products. Different program material presents different aspects for
evaluation. Quick switching is worthless, in my experience.

You simply do not understand what quick switching means.

Quick switching does not mean that you have a short time to listen to each
product. You can listen to those for minutes, hours, or days if you want
to. Quick switching means that there is no long delay between the two
presentations such that you still have a very accurate memory of what the
other product sounded like.

Now once you have identified differences, it will be helpful to use short
material that brings out those differences. For example, there may be a
certain phrase in a vocal recording, or a particular passage in a
precussion recording, that reveals such differences clearly. It will be
good then to use short snippets, conisisting of those phrases or
passsages, to help you identify differences in your (hopefully) blind
test. This way you give yourself the best chance to detect differences.

IMO both are useless. As the LP believers often report, a day of listening
to CD puts them on edge, causing headache and fatigue. Perhaps a day of
listening to SACD is less problematic than is CD. I feel that members of the
LP camp prefer that format because the cross-talk "softens" the edges in
each channel. One hears a considerable amount of left channel information
coming from the right speaker and v.v.
Mark DeBellis

Ban wrote:
Jenn wrote:

Indeed true, in my opinion. Listening to music, for most people, is
largely a right-brain based experience. For good discussions of this,
see Gardner: Frames of Mind and on a less technical level, Kerman:
Listen. At the end of the day, I think that the left brain vs. right
brain ways of dealing with the world might well be the basis for the
heated arguments on this topic. For example, a person who experiences
music in a highly right-brain oriented way, would, I believe, have a
great deal of difficulty during the experience of a quick switch test.

I hope to experience such a test soon which will help inform this
thesis.

Yes Jenn, that is the only way.
Maybe you have noticed that much of this mental noise

Cheap shot.

If I understand the point you go on to make, quick-switch tests do not
always involve the comparison of short snippets. Sometimes they
involve, rather: listening to a stretch of A in order to establish a
context, and then listening to a short portion of B, and evaluating how
well B fits in that context. Yes? Thanks, that's a helpful
clarification. But I think what I've said applies to this sort of
test.

has been created by
people who have never experienced a properly conducted DBT, ABX or whatever
variant. Even the terminology is interpreted in different(erratic) ways.

Thanks for your kind words,
Jenn (listening to a beautiful LP of the Netherlands Wind Ensemble
doing the Stravinsky Octet. Ahhhh....)

This is how I'm listening to a test. I do not concentrate on certain
instruments, but try to hear into the space in front and around me. And at
the same time understand what the composer wanted to express: his joy or
sadness, his love, desperation, celebration, meditation...
Somehow also the musician feels the same and adds to the initial expression
of the composer his interpretation.

If we are asking what such tests establish and why, then it is
important to understand what the tests involve. But I think basically
I do: it's discrimination. I'm not sure why you think it's essential
to actually *experience* such a test from the point of view of a
subject, in order to understand why it shows what it shows (any more
than it is necessary to build a switchbox). You're not saying that
when a person experiences the test, he or she somehow *sees* that the
test is valid for the relevant purposes? That would be like saying, a
person won't understand why sighted comparison is valid unless they
experience the sound of the cables for themselves. It's not as if the
experience of the test establishes its own validity.

If in order to do a quick-switch test properly, one would have to
understand and feel at one with the composer's joy, then the whole idea
of making this a repeatable, objective matter would be in big trouble.

And then when I feel like switching, the performance goes on without
interruption. The piece continues on the same spot. A little "click" doesn't
dusturb me, but otherwise it is important that both streams are in sync and
there is no perceivable silence. This is a quick switch test. And what is
short is not the music snippet, but the switching action. Compare that with
changing the speaker cables or whatever in a long break etc.
Even a *one* second break is already disturbing and brings me back into the
brain... And you want to know how it sounds when *not* in the brain.
This is how from my experience I'm able to detect very miniscule differences
between two feeds.

I doubt that your experience tells you, by itself, that if you don't
detect a difference in that experience then there is no difference over
long-term listening. That's a question of empirical psychology that's
not revealed in any immediate experience.

Mark
Mark DeBellis

Mark DeBellis wrote:
wrote:

2) We could subject you to a blind test, to determine whether you can
indeed distinguish between these cables when you do not know which is
which. This could eliminate imagined sonic difference as an explanation
(although, admittedly, it cannot confirm it).

Not to quibble, and I don't disagree with what you are basically saying
in this post, but aren't you entitled to claim more here than you do?
If he fails to distinguish the cables, then doesn't that confirm that
the difference he heard was imaginary?

Alas, statistics doesn't let you draw that conclusion. We set up a null
hyothesis--"You cannot hear a difference between these cables"--and set
a significance threshold. If he tops the threshold, you've disproved
the null hypothesis. But if he doesn't top the threshold, all you've
done is failed to disprove the null hypothesis. This has nothing to do
with audio, BTW; it's a law of statistics, and affects any statistical
test.

Well, hang on a sec though. Suppose it seems to someone that they hear
a difference between two cables. If the difference is not (entirely)
imaginary, then the person is detecting a difference. And if he is
detecting a difference, then we can predict from this that he is very
likely, in a blind test, to distinguish the cables significantly better
than chance. So if he does *not* so distinguish the cables in such a
test, that is evidence that the apparent difference was imaginary. I
don't see what's wrong with that reasoning, or why statistics blocks
it.

Mark